‘22 RI PG Sebastian Thomas (URI ---> Albany ---> URI)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: ‘22 RI PG Sebastian Thomas (URI Commit)

Unread post by ramster »

Thomas is playing with Expressions this week in EYBL Nike in North Augusta SC.

https://basketball.exposureevents.com/1 ... 00982&r=11

Expressions plays Team Thad today (Friday) at 12:30pm
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

If you want to watch an actual game. He doesn't do much until the 2nd half
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

I did some manual tallying of Bassy's performance at Peach Jam over the last two weeks. It was good to see him playing with Expressions Elite - who seems to be having a down year, but has a couple high-major players (Karaban, Claude, Bailey). I believe the team went 3-2 in each segment (Part1 and Part2) of Peach Jam.

Bassy seemed to contribute across the stat line - albeit very inconsistently. Was more efficient scoring in Part 1, more efficient handling the ball in Part2.

Part 1:
7-18 FGA (39%)
3-7 3PT (43%)
4-8 FT (50%)
21 PTS (4.2/gm)
7 RBDs (1.4/gm)
13 TO (2.6/gm)
8 Assists (1.6/gm)
3 Steals (0.6/gm)
94 mins (19mins/gm)

Part 2:
9-37 FGA (24%)
3-16 3PT (19%)
7-13 FT (54%)
28 PTs (5.6/gm)
12 RBDs (2.4/gm)
23 Assist (4.6gm)
10 TO (2/gm)
5 Steal (1.0/gm)
108 mins (22mins/gm)

Total Peach Jam Stats:
16-55 FGA (29%)
6-23 3PT (26%)
11-21 FT (52%)
49 PTs (4.9/gm)
19 RBDs (1.9/gm)
23 TO (2.3/gm)
31 Assists (3.1/gm)
8 Steals (0.8/gm)
202 mins (20.2/gm)

Excuse any errors. Did anybody watch any of the games?
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

CamsRams wrote: 2 years ago I did some manual tallying of Bassy's performance at Peach Jam over the last two weeks. It was good to see him playing with Expressions Elite - who seems to be having a down year, but has a couple high-major players (Karaban, Claude, Bailey). I believe the team went 3-2 in each segment (Part1 and Part2) of Peach Jam.

Bassy seemed to contribute across the stat line - albeit very inconsistently. Was more efficient scoring in Part 1, more efficient handling the ball in Part2.

Part 1:
7-18 FGA (39%)
3-7 3PT (43%)
4-8 FT (50%)
21 PTS (4.2/gm)
7 RBDs (1.4/gm)
13 TO (2.6/gm)
8 Assists (1.6/gm)
3 Steals (0.6/gm)
94 mins (19mins/gm)

Part 2:
9-37 FGA (24%)
3-16 3PT (19%)
7-13 FT (54%)
28 PTs (5.6/gm)
12 RBDs (2.4/gm)
23 Assist (4.6gm)
10 TO (2/gm)
5 Steal (1.0/gm)
108 mins (22mins/gm)

Total Peach Jam Stats:
16-55 FGA (29%)
6-23 3PT (26%)
11-21 FT (52%)
49 PTs (4.9/gm)
19 RBDs (1.9/gm)
23 TO (2.3/gm)
31 Assists (3.1/gm)
8 Steals (0.8/gm)
202 mins (20.2/gm)

I watched some games online. Obviously, I'm only going off of what I saw in a few games but I think he'll need time to be able to make an impact in the A10... I would be very surprised if he made any impact freshman year. He seems to be able to hit the open 3 which we can always use but he was having issues creating any sort of separation against athletic guards. Maybe it's the competition but that's only going to get harder at the next level. It's still early and our coaching staff has a much better grasp of what he can do so I'm still optimistic.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago
CamsRams wrote: 2 years ago I did some manual tallying of Bassy's performance at Peach Jam over the last two weeks. It was good to see him playing with Expressions Elite - who seems to be having a down year, but has a couple high-major players (Karaban, Claude, Bailey). I believe the team went 3-2 in each segment (Part1 and Part2) of Peach Jam.

Part 1:
7-18 FGA (39%)
3-7 3PT (43%)
4-8 FT (50%)
21 PTS (4.2/gm)
7 RBDs (1.4/gm)
13 TO (2.6/gm)
8 Assists (1.6/gm)
3 Steals (0.6/gm)
94 mins (19mins/gm)

Part 2:
9-37 FGA (24%)
3-16 3PT (19%)
7-13 FT (54%)
28 PTs (5.6/gm)
12 RBDs (2.4/gm)
23 Assist (4.6gm)
10 TO (2/gm)
5 Steal (1.0/gm)
108 mins (22mins/gm)

Total Peach Jam Stats:
16-55 FGA (29%)
6-23 3PT (26%)
11-21 FT (52%)
49 PTs (4.9/gm)
19 RBDs (1.9/gm)
23 TO (2.3/gm)
31 Assists (3.1/gm)
8 Steals (0.8/gm)
202 mins (20.2/gm)

I watched some games online. Obviously, I'm only going off of what I saw in a few games but I think he'll need time to be able to make an impact in the A10... I would be very surprised if he made any impact freshman year. He seems to be able to hit the open 3 which we can always use but he was having issues creating any sort of separation against athletic guards. Maybe it's the competition but that's only going to get harder at the next level. It's still early and our coaching staff has a much better grasp of what he can do so I'm still optimistic.
EYBL Peach Jam Championship Game is now on at 4pm ESPN2. Brad Beal vs Team Final. Fans not allowed but Coaches are in attendance in good numbers.
0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

12/46 from 3 is only 26%. I know some folks are just happy we have RI kid, but that is rough.
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

From the Rhody Rumble podcast - Bassy will be joining the team this fall and will redshirt.

That still leaves one open scholarship.
0 x
Bo Bo
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Bo Bo »

Correct and good call.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

sticky?
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Running Ram wrote: 2 years agosticky?
Done and done. Thanks for the heads up!
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Is he enrolled this semester, still not listed on the roster?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

He is now listed on the roster GoRhody, #0
0 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

I have him as my next podcast guest so we can get to the bottom of this.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

sbrand wrote: 2 years ago I have him as my next podcast guest so we can get to the bottom of this.
Curious when he was offered a scholarship by Cox.
Just found it, offered on May 18, committed on June 16.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

He’s redshirting and at school. He was in the picture posted from the new President’s welcome event for student athletes.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

He is enrolled and listed on the roster, yet didn't see an official announcement from Cox or welcome article on GoRhody.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I’m not so sure he is redshirting as some have referenced.
Still could happen but I’d heard Thomas has impressed over the summer and in October practices.

Thomas was Class of 22 but moved up to Class of 21.

He has worked hard since getting the offer from URI this past summer.

In the attached article regarding this big game vs North Kingstown, Thomas had a game high 32 points with 17 points coming in the last 3.5 minutes of the game with Hendricken overcoming a 7 point deficit. Thomas was 9-9 FT in this clutch performance.

Some Players from RI and Hendricken have proven to be underestimated in recent years. Think Thomas is going to prove David Cox right with this scholarship offer.

https://www.ricentral.com/nk_standard_t ... 01a6d.html
0 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago I’m not so sure he is redshirting as some have referenced.
Still could happen but I’d heard Thomas has impressed over the summer and in October practices.

In the attached article regarding this big game vs North Kingstown, Thomas had a game high 32 points with 17 points coming in the last 3.5 minutes of the game with Hendricken overcoming a 7 point deficit. Thomas was 9-9 FT in this clutch performance.

Some Players from RI and Hendricken have proven to be underestimated in recent years. Think Thomas is going to prove David Cox right with this scholarship offer.

RI high school basketball is terrible compared to the national stage with the exception of St Andrews. Pulling up an article from a game against a public school in this state is useless.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

FDshoes wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago I’m not so sure he is redshirting as some have referenced.

RI high school basketball is terrible compared to the national stage with the exception of St Andrews. Pulling up an article from a game against a public school in this state is useless.
Because North Kingstown as a public school is so much lower in talent than a Hendricken?

Hendricken has produced a number of D1 players in recent years
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Yes he did reclassify from'22 to '21 and it was first reported that the plan was for him to redshirt this season.
Even in the interviews with him, I believe he did mention that.
Based on what we are seeing, I feel there is some indecision about that now, because he must of really impressed over preseason practice and workouts.

Regardless of the competition in RI, he still needs to make the shots and run the offense.
Just the fact that he had some clutch performances and goes 100% (9-9) from the FT line at crunch time impresses me.
I trust our staff's judgement when they offered him.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago

Yes he did reclassify from'22 to '21 and it was first reported that the plan was for him to redshirt this season.
Based on what we are seeing, I feel there is some indecision about that now, because he must of really impressed over preseason practice and workouts.

Regardless of the competition in RI, he still needs to make the shots and run the offense.
Just the fact that he had some clutch performances and goes 100% (9-9) from the FT line at crunch time impresses me.
When was it reported that the plan was for Thomas to redshirt?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 2 years ago

This from Adam Bernstein (9/20/21)
"Sebastian Thomas will be entering the program this season. The Providence native will be taking a redshirt year with the Rams. He averaged 23.5 points per game in high school with the Bishop Hendricken Hawks. We can expect him to get minutes during his freshman year in the 2022-2023 season."
https://bustingbrackets.com/2021/09/20/ ... 2021-22/2/

He also mentioned redshirting on Rhody Rumble podcast (8/7/21)

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Rh ... &FORM=VIRE
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

"Sebastian Thomas will be entering the program this season. The Providence native will be taking a redshirt year with the Rams. He averaged 23.5 points per game in high school with the Bishop Hendricken Hawks. We can expect him to get minutes during his freshman year in the 2022-2023 season."
What I mean is I don’t recall hearing from URI staff or from Thomas himself that he would be redshirting.
There are some references to redshirting in the recruiting thread from posters and in your attachment but not the same as from the school. Anything quoted from Cox, Assistants or Thomas? I don’t recall myself seeing anything but I could be wrong.

We will know soon once we get to the first few games.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

What I mean is I don’t recall hearing from URI staff or from Thomas himself that he would be redshirting.
There are some references to redshirting in the recruiting thread from posters and in your attachment but not the same as from the school. Anything quoted from Cox, Assistants or Thomas? I don’t recall myself seeing anything but I could be wrong.

He did mention it himself on the podcast that I attached.

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

He did mention it himself on the podcast that I attached.

Thanks. I just listened to the podcast.
It would be interesting to hear Thomas’ insights now as far as the team and where he currently sees himself fitting in.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

If you're an optimist, then Thomas has impressed in practices. If you're a pessimist, it's a bad sign he's jumped up the depth chart so quickly, and reflects more on the other guys at the back of the roster. I imagine it's probably a bit of both - he's further along in his development than expected, and barring some unknown injury news, we probably shouldn't be expecting Berry to contribute this season.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago If you're an optimist, then Thomas has impressed in practices. If you're a pessimist, it's a bad sign he's jumped up the depth chart so quickly, and reflects more on the other guys at the back of the roster. I imagine it's probably a bit of both - he's further along in his development than expected, and barring some unknown injury news, we probably shouldn't be expecting Berry to contribute this season.
The fact that a freshman who only received another offer from Sienna is impressing against our other guards probably says more about our other guards than it does about him
4 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago If you're an optimist, then Thomas has impressed in practices. If you're a pessimist, it's a bad sign he's jumped up the depth chart so quickly, and reflects more on the other guys at the back of the roster. I imagine it's probably a bit of both - he's further along in his development than expected, and barring some unknown injury news, we probably shouldn't be expecting Berry to contribute this season.
Never say never but if Berry can’t beat out a true freshmen guard who barely was a D1 recruit, I don’t know that he’ll ever be contributing.

That’s not me rooting against him or for anyone else. Just a reality of his development or lack thereof
3 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

Because North Kingstown as a public school is so much lower in talent than a Hendricken?

No N.Kingston has a good basketball program in RI and is close to the talent that Hendricken has. But that doesn't change my initial point that RI is not a very good basketball state. Yes we have had a few guys that went D1 in recent years but very few, aka none, were high level recruits. RI high school basketball is atrocious.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

I played for NK and I hate to admit it but yes RI basketball is weak.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

No N.Kingston has a good basketball program in RI and is close to the talent that Hendricken has. But that doesn't change my initial point that RI is not a very good basketball state. Yes we have had a few guys that went D1 in recent years but very few, aka none, were high level recruits. RI high school basketball is atrocious.
Ahhhh Tyler Kolek? Kid has been best guard in marquette so far this summer. And played majority of his HS in Cumberland.

Taylor Bol Bowen and Isaiah Miranda will be two of the highest rated recruits coming from RI in a bunch of years.
0 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

sevegny7 wrote: 2 years ago

Ahhhh Tyler Kolek? Kid has been best guard in marquette so far this summer. And played majority of his HS in Cumberland.

Taylor Bol Bowen and Isaiah Miranda will be two of the highest rated recruits coming from RI in a bunch of years.
And neither of them play HS ball in RI. RI HS ball is borderline terrible you won't change my opinion on that. And actually it's not even an opinion it's a fact.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

If RI high school basketball was so great (newsflash it’s not), none of these kids would be leaving to go play at prep schools. Simple as that.
3 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

That is impressive, hopefully this transfers to his play on the floor this season.
Marquette has some very highly rated freshman guards plus Maryland transfer Darryl Morsell.

Darryl Morsell - Grad transfer Maryland, was a 4* recruit. B10 defensive player of the year and 2X All B10. Over a 1,000 point scorer, 500 rebounds, and 100 starts.

Stevie Mitchell- Freshman, 4* recruit and PA Gatorade POY

Emarion Ellis -Freshman, 4* recruit and Iowa HS POY

Kam Jones - Freshman 4* recruit Tenn.

Plus they have Greg Elliot (JR) who averaged over 18 mins.

We shouldn't make judgement calls on a player just based on where he went to HS.
0 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

Kolek still did his last 2 years at a prep school not playing against RI HS competition. It's still impressive for a RI kid. There have been a few. Joey Mazulla was a very good player at WV. But RI basketball still blows in general.
1 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

FDshoes wrote: 2 years ago Kolek still did his last 2 years at a prep school not playing against RI HS competition. It's still impressive for a RI kid. There have been a few. Joey Mazulla was a very good player at WV. But RI basketball still blows in general.
I mean yeah everyone knows that RI basketball is not the best HS public league in the States. But let's not just act like every kid from here immediately can not play. Or sucks because he is a product of where he grew up. People wrote off Bassy because of where he played.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago If RI high school basketball was so great (newsflash it’s not), none of these kids would be leaving to go play at prep schools. Simple as that.
Exactly. I'm from Portsmouth. Just in the past few years, Swider and Herren Jr. both played a couple of years at PHS, but knew if they wanted to be challenged, they couldn't stay. The competition is just not there. Herren, I believe was the leading scorer in the state when he was at PHS , yet maybe just a slightly above average player at Tabor. BTW, Herren is now a walk-on wide receiver at Alabama and never played football before. Weird. Swider transferred to St. Andrews and was good enough to be ranked top 50 and get a scholly from Villanova. His career at Villanova was up and down, but I'm hearing he looks really good for Syracuse so far. We'll see. Have to root for the local kids.
3 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I played D1 high school ball in RI, competition is definitely not bad. Especially with the larger public or private/city schools. But prep schools are a hole other level.
0 x
GO RAMS
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago I played D1 high school ball in RI, competition is definitely not bad. Especially with the larger public or private/city schools. But prep schools are a hole other level.
Take RIs top division and put them up against most other states top public school division and guaranteed the RI will get steam rolled the vast majority of the time.
1 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Sounds like Bassy redshirt is in question. Looks like there’s a good shot that he’s part of the 9 man rotation.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Let,s look at all of our recruits of the past b4 we trust their judgment.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

McRam wrote: 2 years ago

Let,s look at all of our recruits of the past b4 we trust their judgment.
Time will tell about how Bassy pans out along with the other freshmen.
I am okay with how he restructured our roster with the transfers.
I think the twins, Walker, Martin, and hopefully EA were all wins.
No problem with Ish, I think he has star potential.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

I am disappointed that we did not get a true 3 in the transfer portal, especially with 3 smallish guards. I think of our roster with only one true 3 in Malik ( and maybe Carey) -

Not a lot of choices there, and playing with the three established guards leaves no established guard to back them up.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Carey is 6’3” and does not shoot well. He is not a 3.
Advertised as a point guard but he doesn’t dribble well and is turnover prone.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

McRam wrote: 2 years ago I am disappointed that we did not get a true 3 in the transfer portal, especially with 3 smallish guards. I think of our roster with only one true 3 in Malik ( and maybe Carey) -

Not a lot of choices there, and playing with the three established guards leaves no established guard to back them up.
To have 3 starting guards is not a bad thing, they can rotate Martin in as a wing.
Still hopeful that maybe Carey can provide some minutes off the bench.
Remember we are a little thin because of AB's injury, which we can't fault Cox for.
Actually I initially predicted Martin would start at wing, and having EA rotate in for both Shep and Ish.
I guess EA has impressed Cox enough to go with this lineup.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Kid looks good out there tonight
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

DC_Rams wrote: 2 years ago Kid looks good out there tonight
I'm listening and it sounds good lol!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Very active on defense.. seems really quick.. definitely a true point. Strength will be an issue.
0 x