‘22 RI PG Sebastian Thomas (URI ---> Albany ---> URI)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Re: ‘22 RI PG Sebastian Thomas (URI Commit)

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Officially not red shirting
1 x
LamonteUlmer15
Michael Andersen

Unread post by LamonteUlmer15 »

I for one am now this kids biggest fan. Y’all are crazy. Root for the kid, if he isn’t good he isnt good. You people care way too much about recruiting rankings. Our highest rated recruit in half a decade was my least favorite player in URI history, maybe we can try the eye test?
3 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

ram1980 wrote: 2 years ago Very active on defense.. seems really quick.. definitely a true point. Strength will be an issue.
Yup, he looked fantastic on D. My favorite thing about his game is how calm and collected he is. Smart player. I wonder how he'll do against bigger and stronger D1 guards but he's much better than the last time I watched him play. It's really cool to have a kid play his way out of a redshirt. I definitely didn't think he'd be ready to play this year. Props to him for putting in the work and earning it.
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Couldn’t make tonight’s game. I’m looking forward to Tuesday.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

FDshoes wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago I’m not so sure he is redshirting as some have referenced.
Still could happen but I’d heard Thomas has impressed over the summer and in October practices.

Thomas was Class of 22 but moved up to Class of 21.

He has worked hard since getting the offer from URI this past summer.

In the attached article regarding this big game vs North Kingstown, Thomas had a game high 32 points with 17 points coming in the last 3.5 minutes of the game with Hendricken overcoming a 7 point deficit. Thomas was 9-9 FT in this clutch performance.

Some Players from RI and Hendricken have proven to be underestimated in recent years. Think Thomas is going to prove David Cox right with this scholarship offer.

https://www.ricentral.com/nk_standard_t ... 01a6d.html

RI high school basketball is terrible compared to the national stage with the exception of St Andrews. Pulling up an article from a game against a public school in this state is useless.
Thomas showing tonight what I heard about this past summer and fall practices. He showed good hustle, leadership, quickness and shooting prowess.

Thomas played a 2nd team high minutes tonight with 25 minutes played:
13 points on efficient shooting: 5-9 FG, 1-2 3P, 2-2 FT
6 rebounds
2 assists
4 PF
3 TO
5 steals were a game high with next closest having 2 steals

Got to root for a kid like this, especially a local kid
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

As I posted in the other thread.....I like Sebastian Thomas. Good handle, good vision and passer, seems to be in charge when he's running the offense and a pest on defense. He not only will help this year, but he'll be playing a lot next year. And yes, I am partial to left handed point guards....Also, I was thinking about when we got another very under recruited guard from Rhode Island almost 30 years ago, some kid named Garrick.(and no, I'm not comparing them, just pointing that out).
3 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

Kid plays with a different attitude and pace. Cautiously optimistic that he will significantly outplay his rankings. He just felt different from our typical guards.
0 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

Great news! Looking forward to seeing him play.
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
FDshoes wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago I’m not so sure he is redshirting as some have referenced.
Still could happen but I’d heard Thomas has impressed over the summer and in October practices.

Thomas was Class of 22 but moved up to Class of 21.

He has worked hard since getting the offer from URI this past summer.

In the attached article regarding this big game vs North Kingstown, Thomas had a game high 32 points with 17 points coming in the last 3.5 minutes of the game with Hendricken overcoming a 7 point deficit. Thomas was 9-9 FT in this clutch performance.

Some Players from RI and Hendricken have proven to be underestimated in recent years. Think Thomas is going to prove David Cox right with this scholarship offer.

https://www.ricentral.com/nk_standard_t ... 01a6d.html

RI high school basketball is terrible compared to the national stage with the exception of St Andrews. Pulling up an article from a game against a public school in this state is useless.
Thomas showing tonight what I heard about this past summer and fall practices. He showed good hustle, leadership, quickness and shooting prowess.

Thomas played a 2nd team high minutes tonight with 25 minutes played:
13 points on efficient shooting: 5-9 FG, 1-2 3P, 2-2 FT
6 rebounds
2 assists
4 PF
3 TO
5 steals were a game high with next closest having 2 steals

Got to root for a kid like this, especially a local kid
I'm rooting for the kid but the JW game did nothing but show the players on JW that they could not compete in Division 1. I felt bad for them.
1 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

I'm rooting for the kid but the JW game did nothing but show the players on JW that they could not compete in Division 1. I felt bad for them.
[/quote]

Totally agree. The positive spin is there have been many division 1 teams that have struggled in these type of games even losing them. To Rhody's credit they came out focused with a plan and imposed their will right from the opening tip
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

It’s just tune up for BU Tuesday night
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Yes, you have to consider the competition, but I just like his game. He is one of the few URI players that did not have a size advantage. I like the way he saw the floor and the way he carried himself. Another thing I liked...he didn't make many mistakes, but he did make a bad pass when trying to lead someone up the floor and over threw them. He took responsibility right away, pointing to himself. And he was really pissed at himself. I like that. He needs to add some muscle as he will be playing against bigger guards, but I think we'll see that by next year. That's why I said I think he'll play a lot NEXT year and help this year.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago Yes, you have to consider the competition, but I just like his game. He is one of the few URI players that did not have a size advantage. I like the way he saw the floor and the way he carried himself. Another thing I liked...he didn't make many mistakes, but he did make a bad pass when trying to lead someone up the floor and over threw them. He took responsibility right away, pointing to himself. And he was really pissed at himself. I like that. He needs to add some muscle as he will be playing against bigger guards, but I think we'll see that by next year. That's why I said I think he'll play a lot NEXT year and help this year.
You know Billyboy many are concerned about our guard situation in 22-23.
I felt that with Ish, a healthy AB, hopefully improved Carey, the growth of Bassy and Tres, plus the shooting of recruit Chance , we should be okay and compete with most of the upper tier A10 teams.
This doesn't even include the possible return of wing Martin.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago Yes, you have to consider the competition, but I just like his game. He is one of the few URI players that did not have a size advantage. I like the way he saw the floor and the way he carried himself. Another thing I liked...he didn't make many mistakes, but he did make a bad pass when trying to lead someone up the floor and over threw them. He took responsibility right away, pointing to himself. And he was really pissed at himself. I like that. He needs to add some muscle as he will be playing against bigger guards, but I think we'll see that by next year. That's why I said I think he'll play a lot NEXT year and help this year.
You know Billyboy many are concerned about our guard situation in 22-23.
I felt that with Ish, a healthy AB, hopefully improved Carey, the growth of Bassy and Tres, plus the shooting of recruit Chance , we should be okay and compete with most of the upper tier A10 teams.
This doesn't even include the possible return of wing Martin.
We will know a lot more about the guards after this season. As of right now, I think we will need to land a transfer like an EA or Shep to compete at the top. The way I see it now is, we will have one good A10 starter at the guard position next year (Ish)... The rest are nothing more than solid bench guys..

Now, if one Tres, Carey, or Bassy exceed expectations, then maybe that will change. However, we will need to be very patient in regards to AB. He has suffered a severe injury and it's going to take some time for him to come back. Sometimes it takes guys a full season to really get their game back.

Anyways I'm not going to worry about this now. We could have a completely different roster and coach depending on how this season goes. Go Rhody!
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

Super news with this young mans development. I agree we are not bare for 22-23 at guard but if Walker and the Mitchell twins come back next year and we add a top transfer guard? LOOK OUT! I think AB coming back will solve the lack of a true wing and getting a seasoned lead guard makes us really good!

Having a local guy on the roster makes it fun and if he can develop and really contribute the fan base will jump behind him. If he can become something special when no one was on him even better! All the best Sebastian and keep working hard young man!
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Looking forward to Bassy to the Sniper lots of assists
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Great article on Bassy - if he keeps working this hard he could be a really great find. Good to hear he has confidence in his shot in practice, that part of his game will need to come around but there does not seem to be a reason why it wouldn't improve.
0 x
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

Easy young man to root for!
1 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

LIRAM wrote: 2 years ago Super news with this young mans development. I agree we are not bare for 22-23 at guard but if Walker and the Mitchell twins come back next year and we add a top transfer guard? LOOK OUT! I think AB coming back will solve the lack of a true wing and getting a seasoned lead guard makes us really good!

Having a local guy on the roster makes it fun and if he can develop and really contribute the fan base will jump behind him. If he can become something special when no one was on him even better! All the best Sebastian and keep working hard young man!

Speaking of the Mitchells, is it possible that their transfer to Rhody consumed their one time "no sit "transfer rule. After all, they did not have to sit, so any transfer in the future would require sitting a year or a waiver.????????????????????

Feedback on this thought?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

McRam wrote: 2 years ago
LIRAM wrote: 2 years ago Super news with this young mans development. I agree we are not bare for 22-23 at guard but if Walker and the Mitchell twins come back next year and we add a top transfer guard? LOOK OUT! I think AB coming back will solve the lack of a true wing and getting a seasoned lead guard makes us really good!

Speaking of the Mitchells, is it possible that their transfer to Rhody consumed their one time "no sit "transfer rule. After all, they did not have to sit, so any transfer in the future would require sitting a year or a waiver.????????????????????

Feedback on this thought?
They wouldn't qualify under the new rule and would need a waiver for immediate eligibility.
Almost every player that applied for a waiver this year was granted it, regardless of how many times they transferred.
As Rothstein says, " they hand out waivers like seedless watermelon on July 4th".

Especially if there is a coaching change, that is almost automatically granted.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Best of luck to Sebastian Thomas as he plays for Albany next season

Thomas averaged 5.9 points and led URI with 88 assists in 2022-23. He made 31 appearances and also ranked third in steals with 29. Thomas was in the starting lineup in each of the last seven games for the Rams.

Thomas featured an assist rate of more than 25% in each of his two years with URI. His career-high of 10 came in a double-double against Texas State, as Thomas added 13 points in the first victory with the Rams for head coach Archie Miller. Thomas expected to take a redshirt year in 2021-22 but wound up making three starts.

Thomas is a 6-foot-1 point guard who was named All-State and the Division I Player of the Year with the Hawks in 2019-20. He prepped at Hoosac School before enrolling with URI and should be immediately eligible as a one-time transfer. Thomas will compete in the same America East conference that features multiple programs a comfortable driving distance from home in Bryant, UMass Lowell and New Hampshire.

bkoch@providencejournal.com

On Twitter: @BillKoch25

https://www.yahoo.com/news/two-ri-nativ ... 41540.html
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

This is the right level for him. But didn’t we lose to Texas State? That seems like an error in the article.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago This is the right level for him. But didn’t we lose to Texas State? That seems like an error in the article.
Yes, I drove up for the Texas State game, tough loss.

Also Bassy's double/double came against Stony Brook the following game and Archie's first win here.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago This is the right level for him. But didn’t we lose to Texas State? That seems like an error in the article.
Koch also used a photo of Samb instead of Tckiou for Alex’s transfer article.

Lazy.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago

Lazy.
That’s not Koch’s fault. It was the copy editor’s.
3 x
Slava Ukraini!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: ‘22 RI PG Sebastian Thomas (URI ---> Albany)

Unread post by bigappleram »

Who’s at fault for mentioning Archie’s first win was against a team we didn’t beat? With only 9 wins it’s kinda hard to confuse them. Is that the copy editor too??
3 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Who’s at fault for mentioning Archie’s first win was against a team we didn’t beat? With only 9 wins it’s kinda hard to confuse them. Is that the copy editor too??
That one is Bill’s. He supplies the copy. The editor edits it (and he’s unlikely not in Rhode Island) and decides where it’s placed along with the headline and any pictures.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody74 wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago

Lazy.
That’s not Koch’s fault. It was the copy editor’s.
Koch tweeted out the article with the picture office Samb attached to it.

He did not need to tweet it out with the wrong picture.
0 x
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Good luck to him , be interesting to see how he fares
2 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

reef wrote: 1 year ago Good luck to him , be interesting to see how he fares
He will be fine - he is a decent player, good fit at that level. Surround him with some shooters and let him do his thing. Just a bad fit to have a poor shooting PG on a team with guys who also could not shoot.
1 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

Welcome back Sebastian!
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Way better upgrade then Ways

We missed you!
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Dino611 wrote: 6 days ago Way better upgrade then Ways

We missed you!
Or are we sending Ways to Albany 👀
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: ‘22 RI PG Sebastian Thomas (URI ---> Albany---> URI)

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

The return of the bassmaster...BassMaster Flash
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 6 days ago

We missed you!
Like it. Use Albany as our feeder program. Send Wright there to play and improve and bring him back next year. Archie is a genius
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

ram1980 wrote: 6 days ago

We missed you!
Like it. Use Albany as our feeder program. Send Wright there to play and improve and bring him back next year. Archie is a genius
Or if Ways stays and redshirts I'd be totally cool with that too! Good old fashioned development.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

We missed you!
When do you think we'll see the first college player "trade"?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Or if Ways stays and redshirts I'd be totally cool with that too! Good old fashioned development.
In what world what he stay and redshirt and not play when he can instantly play next season somewhere else?
0 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 6 days ago
In what world what he stay and redshirt and not play when he can instantly play next season somewhere else?
do redshirts get paid?
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 6 days ago
So he can eventually play here and not transfer a level down? And yeah, no shit that's rare these days, but it still happens occasionally. It may happen, because it seems like he really likes it at Rhody.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Re: ‘22 RI PG Sebastian Thomas (URI ---> Albany ---> URI)

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

How about them RHODE TO EXCELLENCE dollars AT WORK

oh the irony

Pony
Up !!!!
0 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

I’m surprised by this one. This team, the process, everything..
Not sure what to even think anymore.
1 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Just keep posting NIL money

pay for the salaries of college teams and call me an owner
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

It is hard not to like Bassy’s attitude, desire to play for us -his hustle, his improvement, his ability to run through a wall for his team and the intangibles that he brings to the team. That being said, my question is where does he stand compared to the other A10 guards that we compete against. Here is my list by team of last season’s competition.

VCU- Max Shugla in portal Jason Nelson. In portal
Davidson. Grant Huffman- to Vanderbilt
Richmond- Jordan King
Duquesne-Jimmy Clark
Fordham- Charleton, Medor
St.Joseph. LynnGreer- in portal Xavier Brown
Dayton, Kobe Elvis in portal, Bennett

George Mason. Polite. To. Okojie. In portal
LaSalle, Brickus. In portal. Brantley in portal
UMass. Keon Thompson. In portal
St. Louis. Cian Medley. To Kent State
Bonnie’s. Mike Adam Woods
GW James Bishop
Loyola Brandon Norris

The reality is this is our competition. . I think Bassy is better than Fordham’s point guard position.

How does everyone rate Bassy compared to our competition.?
1 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Ronald Polite George Mason to UNC Greensboro for next year.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

McRam wrote: 5 days ago It is hard not to like Bassy’s attitude, desire to play for us -his hustle, his improvement, his ability to run through a wall for his team and the intangibles that he brings to the team. That being said, my question is where does he stand compared to the other A10 guards that we compete against. Here is my list by team of last season’s competition.

Richmond- Jordan King
Duquesne-Jimmy Clark

GW James Bishop
Loyola Brandon Norris

The reality is this is our competition. . I think Bassy is better than Fordham’s point guard position.

Another excellent post and question.

Based on what you posted above, I like his chances to hold his own but not first team all A10 level, I expect.

I give him an edge because of his heart, attitude and desire to come back and play for his state’s flag-ship university. I value that.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

McRam wrote: 5 days ago It is hard not to like Bassy’s attitude, desire to play for us -his hustle, his improvement, his ability to run through a wall for his team and the intangibles that he brings to the team. That being said, my question is where does he stand compared to the other A10 guards that we compete against. Here is my list by team of last season’s competition.

Richmond- Jordan King
Duquesne-Jimmy Clark

GW James Bishop
Loyola Brandon Norris

Well he did drop 19 on UMass.

I also wonder...if he took this big of a jump from sophomore to junior, does he have another jump in him?

Most importantly, it's about how he mixes with the other guys on the floor. We need him to run the offense and compliment the other pieces. We don't need him to he Tyson Wheeler. Just be solid because he has some dudes around him.
2 x