DJ Johnson Enters Transfer Portal

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Joe95
ARD

DJ Johnson Enters Transfer Portal

Unread post by Joe95 »

Entered the Portal. Another year with no three point shooting.
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Re: DJ Johnson

Unread post by CamsRams »

0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Come on...

He carved out a nice role last year and would've either had the same minutes or more this upcoming year.
Last edited by Rhody15 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
Go Rhody
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

Hopefully they can fill the scholly with a quality transfer!
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

He had put some IG story post out a month or so ago that he had received some bad news. He said something like “when will it be my turn”. At the time, I assumed it was part of his end of year review with the staff regarding his fit with the team next year.
Last edited by CamsRams 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

:( I like DJ
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

CamsRams wrote: 3 years ago He had put some IG story post out a month or so ago that he had received some bad news. At the time, I assumed it was part of his end of year review with the staff regarding his fit with the team next year.
Total guess on my part, but I don't think the staff would jettison one of the best shooters on the team without reinforcements (which we do not currently have, I'm not counting El-Ahmin as the replacement for DJ). The bad news could have been family related or something along those lines.
0 x
Go Rhody
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Re: DJ Johnson Enters Transfer Portal

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

God dammit. I expected a big jump from Dj this season.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago
CamsRams wrote: 3 years ago He had put some IG story post out a month or so ago that he had received some bad news. At the time, I assumed it was part of his end of year review with the staff regarding his fit with the team next year.
Total guess on my part, but I don't think the staff would jettison one of the best shooters on the team without reinforcements (which we do not currently have, I'm not counting El-Ahmin as the replacement for DJ). The bad news could have been family related or something along those lines.
Family issues. More info should Leak soon.
1 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

I am sorry, I think this one is on Cox. This guy did not play enough and I have no idea why. For a team that had no shooting at least he was a threat out there. He should have played more, I remember Tim McCormack saying this during the A10 tournament game against Dayton. And yes, his defense was not great but the entire team was terrible defensively this year.

This is my biggest issue with Cox. He did it the previous year as well with Jacob Toppin not playing as much as he should have. And I will say it again, him playing Walker over Toppin down the stretch in the game on the Road at Davidson cost them that game, and a possible NCAA bid.

I really do not think he knows who his best players are. It is such a basic concept, play your best players, but he does not on such a consistent basis. The only thing I can come up with, is he is playing who he thinks are his best players but I have a real issue with who he thinks are his best players. Jalen Carey was unplayable and that was obvious after watching him in four games, yet he played a bunch in most games until the end of the season.

I have real doubts about our coach. A great guy on a personal level, but not identifying and playing your best players is a major issue with this program right now. I don't fault this kid for bailing at all. And I would not put it past Cox that he told the kid that he was not good enough to play here. Flat out wrong, but would explain why Johnson got very little run most of the year. And if he told him this, it just reinforces that he has no clue as how to judge basketball players.

And he holds no one accountable for how they play. Someone can go out there and half ass it for the entire game and his minutes would not change at all. And others who should be playing are glued to the bench, and if they come in and play well, it does not matter, their minutes do not increase. I found this year to be extremely frustrating in many ways, but the lack of any changes to a rotation that was just not working was glaring. Give people a chance if others are not producing. Maybe that lights a fire under them and gets them going. And if they are so weak to check out, so be.

I believe he was forced out. No proof of this, just my gut on this. I wish him good luck in his next stop, he should have been part of the rotation here and he was not.
3 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

And I just saw DC Rams post. If it is family issues, than clearly he was not forced out. But will stand by everything else I said in that post.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Very disappointed to hear, definitely hurts our depth up front and will miss his shooting touch. He was one of our very few zone breakers.
Not sure if Cox plans to use that open scholarship this year.
We have Martin on the wing along with Makhi and JH to backup the frontcourt, but none have his shooting ability.
Also Ileri and Lamb come in as freshman, but are unproven at this point.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Every team in America lost kids. Some kids even started at P5’s. This transfer cannot be an indictment on anyone, but the nature of today’s NCAA.
3 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

4Diffs wrote: 3 years ago I am sorry, I think this one is on Cox. This guy did not play enough and I have no idea why. For a team that had no shooting at least he was a threat out there. He should have played more, I remember Tim McCormack saying this during the A10 tournament game against Dayton. And yes, his defense was not great but the entire team was terrible defensively this year.

This is my biggest issue with Cox. He did it the previous year as well with Jacob Toppin not playing as much as he should have. And I will say it again, him playing Walker over Toppin down the stretch in the game on the Road at Davidson cost them that game, and a possible NCAA bid.

I really do not think he knows who his best players are. It is such a basic concept, play your best players, but he does not on such a consistent basis. The only thing I can come up with, is he is playing who he thinks are his best players but I have a real issue with who he thinks are his best players. Jalen Carey was unplayable and that was obvious after watching him in four games, yet he played a bunch in most games until the end of the season.

I have real doubts about our coach. A great guy on a personal level, but not identifying and playing your best players is a major issue with this program right now. I don't fault this kid for bailing at all. And I would not put it past Cox that he told the kid that he was not good enough to play here. Flat out wrong, but would explain why Johnson got very little run most of the year. And if he told him this, it just reinforces that he has no clue as how to judge basketball players.

And he holds no one accountable for how they play. Someone can go out there and half ass it for the entire game and his minutes would not change at all. And others who should be playing are glued to the bench, and if they come in and play well, it does not matter, their minutes do not increase. I found this year to be extremely frustrating in many ways, but the lack of any changes to a rotation that was just not working was glaring. Give people a chance if others are not producing. Maybe that lights a fire under them and gets them going. And if they are so weak to check out, so be.

I believe he was forced out. No proof of this, just my gut on this. I wish him good luck in his next stop, he should have been part of the rotation here and he was not.
Cox works with these players every day in practice, he knows what each one brings to the table, more so than anyone on this board.
We don't know the circumstances at this point, so we shouldn't make the judgement call at this time.
Players leave and everyone isn't going to be happy, that is why there is over 1500 players who entered the portal.
2 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago Every team in America lost kids. Some kids even started at P5’s. This transfer cannot be an indictment on anyone, but the nature of today’s NCAA.
Agreed. I am disappointed though because I was expecting a breakout season. He will transfer probably down a league and dominate.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago Every team in America lost kids. Some kids even started at P5’s. This transfer cannot be an indictment on anyone, but the nature of today’s NCAA.
Yea, we should be luck we only lost one kid. I'm not counting Fatts as someone we lost, as he played 4 full years here.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Just change the standard roster to 6 players so everyone plays and no one bitches. WTH
0 x
GO RAMS
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago
Agreed. I am disappointed though because I was expecting a breakout season. He will transfer probably down a league and dominate.
I liked his upside, but he very often seemed lost on very basic offensive and defensive sets. His athleticism made up for it in some cases though. I wish him all the best.
2 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I don’t think it’s a huge loss. While he did get hot for stretches he just as consistently threw up a bunch of bricks. And his defense was also suspect.
3 x
Slava Ukraini!
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody74 wrote: 3 years ago I don’t think it’s a huge loss. While he did get hot for stretches he just as consistently threw up a bunch of bricks. And his defense was also suspect.
Sure - not a huge loss, but he had a role on the team and the chance to have a bigger one if he cleaned up his D. Also give the kid some credit, in his first season of D-1 ball he shot the ball very well. I am partial to guys who can put the ball in the hoop.
3 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I never really saw the potential for a breakout that others have with DJ. Seems like probably the right move for him and wish him the best wherever he ends up.
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

adam914 wrote: 3 years ago I never really saw the potential for a breakout that others have with DJ. Seems like probably the right move for him and wish him the best wherever he ends up.
I don't think he was going to breakout either, but it was nice having a player who you thought was making a 3 more times than not when he shot it. Sheppard was the only other player I felt like that about.

Bryant or a team on that level would seem to be a nice landing spot, unless he wants to transfer home for unspecified reasons. Bryant's run, gun and shoot system would seem to fit DJ well.
1 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Opportunity for Ileri and/or Samb to get minutes. Let's hope one or both take advantage of it.
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Rhody74 wrote: 3 years ago I don’t think it’s a huge loss. While he did get hot for stretches he just as consistently threw up a bunch of bricks. And his defense was also suspect.
FWIW, his DRTG was 5th on the team, when you exclude walk-ons and Makhi Mitchell's small sample size. However, there was a decent gap between him (100.9) and the top three (Makhel 97.3, Walker 97.7, Fatts 98.8), plus, a bad defensive lapse probably sticks in the mind more than being OK on other possessions. I thought he was fine on that end, especially for a first-year player that could shoot.

Ultimately, I think that's what makes his loss, late, tough to replace. It's probably not going to be super easy to find a guy who can play spot minutes at the 3 and 4, and shoot 38.5 percent from 3. Samb has some good-looking fadeaway shots and a 3 in his highlight reel, so maybe he can step in right away as a freshman, but it's nice to have options to allow to different lineups. (And plus, well, I still think our biggest issue on offense is having enough reliable outside shooting.)
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

We were due to lose a player via transfer , hard not to have any in today’s college landscape. Good luck to him
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Best for DJ and best for URI. He was not going to see many minutes of play. I don't mind having a scholarship in hand. My "guess" is that his scholarship was not guaranteed for next year. Perhaps there are players in the portal that Cox would rather have than DJ. No need to get down on anyone for this move.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

I liked DJ and wish him well. Unfortunate he did not stick around.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

adam914 wrote: 3 years ago I never really saw the potential for a breakout that others have with DJ. Seems like probably the right move for him and wish him the best wherever he ends up.
I agree. Not a big loss at all in the new college basketball world where transfers are the norm. Besides shooting he wasn’t a very good defender and should be at a lower level to get more time.
1 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

I liked DJ. Good shooter, but seemed to be one dimensional. I don’t think there were many more minutes in store for him. Wish him the best.
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Same
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago
Family issues. More info should Leak soon.
I'm sorry to hear this. He seemed like a nice guy. I wish him well .
2 x
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

Wishing you all the best DJ.
1 x
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

Keep repeating this DC. Because lots still do not get it. Anyone paying attention to daily announcements from players on P5 teams, where their names were penciled in starting 5 position, but are transferring should not be posting ignorant ideas about it being 'head coach reason'.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

DanInAZ wrote: 3 years ago
Keep repeating this DC. Because lots still do not get it. Anyone paying attention to daily announcements from players on P5 teams, where their names were penciled in starting 5 position, but are transferring should not be posting ignorant ideas about it being 'head coach reason'.
It can be both and there is no reason not to have a reasonable conversation about it. What is it, eleven guys that could have had URI eligibility next season are gone? When that is, at least partially, the reason you hire Cox it becomes a real discussion point that shouldn't be dismissed by saying that's just the way it is now.
2 x
Rhody19/21
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Rhody19/21 »

Dam I’ll miss ya DJ. Always a great spark off the bench, look forward to seeing what he can do in the future (remember how little basketball experience he actually has).
1 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

It feels like he was destined to be a role player at best at this level. Was pretty much a 1 dimensional player with not enough bulk to guard a 4 or quick enough to guard a 3. He will land somewhere at a lesser conference and be a significant contributor at his next school. Best of luck DJ
0 x
RAMFAN
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RAMFAN »

I'm surprised UMASS can offer

0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

RAMFAN wrote: 2 years ago I'm surprised UMASS can offer

Looks like Shinze88 had it right.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Isn't there a two year wait to transfer in conference? If that's gone, would love to see Tre Mitchell at Rhody for obvious reasons, but also as a gut punch to slimy Bergeron who started smack with Rhody for no reason 2 seasons ago.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago Isn't there a two year wait to transfer in conference? If that's gone, would love to see Tre Mitchell at Rhody for obvious reasons, but also as a gut punch to slimy Bergeron who started smack with Rhody for no reason 2 seasons ago.
If Mitchell came here, that would mean that Bergeron would be here too.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago
steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago Isn't there a two year wait to transfer in conference? If that's gone, would love to see Tre Mitchell at Rhody for obvious reasons, but also as a gut punch to slimy Bergeron who started smack with Rhody for no reason 2 seasons ago.
If Mitchell came here, that would mean that Bergeron would be here too.
We don't have an opening for Bergeron - anyway it is a pipe dream.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Yikes....Kent State
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 2 years ago Yikes....Kent State
Tin soldiers and Nixon’s coming
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 2 years ago
I’m old enough to get this: classic CSN.
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

JimSidd wrote: 2 years ago
Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 2 years ago
I’m old enough to get this: classic CSN.
4 dead in O-hi-O
0 x
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

Except it was CSNY. The song was written by Neil Young.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

I think the MAC is a good spot for DJ, he could be really good there. Still not sure what happened that he left (unless other guys in the room are clearly better) because I thought he had a role here.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago I think the MAC is a good spot for DJ, he could be really good there. Still not sure what happened that he left (unless other guys in the room are clearly better) because I thought he had a role here.
Averaged 15 min/game for the season and only 9 min the last 5 games. Probably wanted more than just being a role player with limited minutes off the bench. We didn't lose any front court players and gain Ileri and Samb plus Makhi returning, and hopefully a healthy JH.
He may could be an immediate starter there along with Sincere Carey who transferred from Duquesne.
0 x