Assistant Coach Opening in Men's Basketball

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Assistant Coach Opening in Men's Basketball

Unread post by NHRamFan »

The above position was posted last night. Did anyone see an announcement of who is "leaving?"
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: Assistant Coach Opening in Men's Basketball

Unread post by Jersey77 »

NHRamFan wrote: 3 years ago The above position was posted last night. Did anyone see an announcement of who is "leaving?"
Nope, haven't seen or heard.
If fact, hope PM is on the short list.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

This is good news. A chance to improve the staff. Lots of outstanding assistants unemployed at the moment.
5 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

The actual posting is here. The somewhat interesting condition to me - It requires 8 years coaching experience, or 3 years head coaching experience. I'm not normally in the weeds enough to remember if that's a common requirement for the last couple of times they've had to post the job.
0 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

Interesting.........
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

If Austin is gone, have to assume his dad is gone as well.
0 x
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

If not PM (first choice) , Luke Murray and Jim Christian looking for jobs.
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Arent some of the positions posted yearly? I think I remember this happening last year or 2 seasons ago....
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

8 years AC or 3 years HC sounds like someone is needed with plenty of experience. I like that.
3 x
GO RAMS
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Yup... This is one of the reasons I was annoyed at people calling out Rambone when he was right about us having some changes to our staff. I'm assuming he received the same intel I did.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

SGreenwell wrote: 3 years ago The actual posting is here. The somewhat interesting condition to me - It requires 8 years coaching experience, or 3 years head coaching experience. I'm not normally in the weeds enough to remember if that's a common requirement for the last couple of times they've had to post the job.
TJ and Austin wouldn't qualify if this was the posting when they were hired, so I'd say this verbiage is different. It also sounds more like Sutton's job with that amount of experience required.
2 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Rhodyram wrote: 3 years ago Arent some of the positions posted yearly? I think I remember this happening last year or 2 seasons ago....
All the assistant jobs are for one year. Not sure if they have to post them annually or not.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Morey just tweeted out that Sutton has left to pursue other opportunities.
0 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

1 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 years ago Yup... This is one of the reasons I was annoyed at people calling out Rambone when he was right about us having some changes to our staff. I'm assuming he received the same intel I did.
Do you expect any more openings to follow?
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Had a feeling it must be Sutton with those requirements listed. Wish him the best in whatever comes next. Looking forward to seeing who we can attract as a replacement.
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

This would seem to indicate DC knows it's make or break time.
To say this is an important hire is the understatement of the century.
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago This would seem to indicate DC knows it's make or break time.
Yeah for sure, its a big one.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

If you are a top assistant do you join a staff where the HC might only have one year?
2 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago This would seem to indicate DC knows it's make or break time.
Do you think it was Cox who got rid of Sutton (or was forced to get rid of him)? I ask this with no inside knowledge of the situation...
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhody83 wrote: 3 years ago If you are a top assistant do you join a staff where the HC might only have one year?
And what kind of impact will any assistant have on the outcome for next year? The roster is pretty much set, so recruiting will be done for a future you might not be around to see. Maybe an assistant that is particularly good at development could have an impact on next year. Really an X and O guy would seem to be the type of assistant that would yield the biggest potential turnaround for next season.

Are there any older good X and O guys that used to run a program but are currently out of work? Someone good enough that they could be valuable on the staff to help with scouting, game planning, and someone that can give Cox pointers during the game, but not someone Cox would have to worry about them taking over for him after the season?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Bos8 wrote: 3 years ago
Do you think it was Cox who got rid of Sutton (or was forced to get rid of him)? I ask this with no inside knowledge of the situation...
This is certainly an interesting question that we'll likely never know the answer to. Did Cox get rid of Sutton to try and bring on a new assistant that might help him keep his job or did Sutton jump ship figuring it's better to leave one season early for a new opportunity rather than stay and end up as part of a potential house cleaning
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

The quality assistants are not unemployed for long when their boss gets fired. Dwayne Killings (Marquette) got hired as head coach at UAlbany; Ed Conroy at Minnesota got a job at VBilt. Jim Ferry went from Penn St. to UMBC. Time is of the essence here.
You can laugh but Jeff Neubauer was a hot young coach at E. Kentucky when hired at Fordham. If you think it's impossible to win there, then he would be worth talking to. (Dave Paulsen got fired at George Mason and is expected to join BC staff.)
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I liked coach Sutton, but I don’t think he fit as a top assistant who you expect to be either the number 1 recruiter or the x and o guy (or both). I didn’t feel like he was either on this team. Jim Christian or even Jeff Neubauer would immediately help this team and I would be pumped with either.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Iggy1979 wrote: 3 years ago The quality assistants are not unemployed for long when their boss gets fired. Dwayne Killings (Marquette) got hired as head coach at UAlbany; Ed Conroy at Minnesota got a job at VBilt. Jim Ferry went from Penn St. to UMBC. Time is of the essence here.
You can laugh but Jeff Neubauer was a hot young coach at E. Kentucky when hired at Fordham. If you think it's impossible to win there, then he would be worth talking to. (Dave Paulsen got fired at George Mason and is expected to join BC staff.)
Neubauer could be good. He can really coach defense.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago
This is certainly an interesting question that we'll likely never know the answer to. Did Cox get rid of Sutton to try and bring on a new assistant that might help him keep his job or did Sutton jump ship figuring it's better to leave one season early for a new opportunity rather than stay and end up as part of a potential house cleaning

We will probably have a good idea on this when we see where Sutton ends up and who replaces him.
Like I said , I would be happy with PM, Murray, or Christian but doubt any of them happens.
Last edited by Jersey77 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago

We will probably have a good idea on this when we see where Sutton ends up and who replaces him.
Like I said , I would be happy with PM, Murray, or Christian but doubt any of them happens.
Ok, fair point, that seems accurate
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

I would not be super excited by Murray as the top assistant role - that is what we are hiring for. It would not surprise me if this move was initiated by Thorr and it would not surprise me if we opened the bank account a little and got a very highly qualified assistant. Thorr strikes me as a guy who knows what he is doing.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Ok, fair point, that seems accurate
You might be right, when Cox didn't get extended, Sutton may of taken the best opportunity available.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago
Last edited by Jersey77 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I would not be super excited by Murray as the top assistant role - that is what we are hiring for. It would not surprise me if this move was initiated by Thorr and it would not surprise me if we opened the bank account a little and got a very highly qualified assistant. Thorr strikes me as a guy who knows what he is doing.
Going into this past season Murray was considered one of the top up and coming young coaches. As a matter of fact, ESPN ranked him #10 on best college coaches under 40.

10. Luke Murray, Louisville assistant (35)
It's only a matter of time before Murray is the head coach of a high-major program after working with Sean Miller, Dan Hurley, Towson's Pat Skerry and now Chris Mack as one of the most impressive assistants on this list. He was instrumental in the assembly of Louisville's 2019 recruiting class, ranked 10th by ESPN. -- Myron Medcalf
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

:D :D :D
Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago 8 years AC or 3 years HC sounds like someone is needed with plenty of experience. I like that.
:D :D :D
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

I think if the new assistant is an obvious upgrade, it was Rhody's decision. If they hire another "weak link", could be either...
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Sutton is highly liked/respected in the coaching world. He will have plenty of opportunities.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I would like to see P Murph apply and see what happens also Luke Murray would be ok
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

With that specific amount of experience in the listing, one would think they may have someone lined up. ?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Or option 3: Cox was instructed to make a change to the coaching staff.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Going into this past season Murray was considered one of the top up and coming young coaches. As a matter of fact, ESPN ranked him #10 on best college coaches under 40.

It's only a matter of time before Murray is the head coach of a high-major program after working with Sean Miller, Dan Hurley, Towson's Pat Skerry and now Chris Mack as one of the most impressive assistants on this list. He was instrumental in the assembly of Louisville's 2019 recruiting class, ranked 10th by ESPN. -- Myron Medcalf
OK. I get he is a good recruiter and would be a good assistant long term. Not sure he helps next year which is what I am most worried about. Need to get the guys who are here playing at a higher level.
1 x
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago I liked coach Sutton, but I don’t think he fit as a top assistant who you expect to be either the number 1 recruiter or the x and o guy (or both). I didn’t feel like he was either on this team. Jim Christian or even Jeff Neubauer would immediately help this team and I would be pumped with either.
Just out of curiosity, what did you like about him/
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Rhodyram wrote: 3 years ago Sutton is highly liked/respected in the coaching world. He will have plenty of opportunities.
100%.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

OK. I get he is a good recruiter and would be a good assistant long term. Not sure he helps next year which is what I am most worried about. Need to get the guys who are here playing at a higher level.
Luke isn't my first choice, but he has a high basketball IQ and is very detail oriented, aside from being a top recruiter.

I feel we should should see an improvement in our player's development and team chemistry anyway.

Regardless of who they hire, I would be surprised if he makes a huge impact this season. I don't know how much input the new assistant will have or be allowed. The entire staff needs to function cohesively as a unit.
Cox is still in charge and it is his system, hopefully he figures it out and turns things around.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Luke isn't my first choice, but he has a high basketball IQ and is very detail oriented, aside from being a top recruiter.

I feel we should should see an improvement in our player's development and team chemistry anyway.

Regardless of who they hire, I would be surprised if he makes a huge impact this season. I don't know how much input the new assistant will have or be allowed. The entire staff needs to function cohesively as a unit.
Cox is still in charge and it is his system, hopefully he figures it out and turns things around.

Well with it being the top assistant position along with the most experienced, I think the new hire will have quite a bit of input. I doubt whoever they hire will be content sitting behind two young assistants.
0 x
Go Rhody
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

Al ?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago

Well with it being the top assistant position along with the most experienced, I think the new hire will have quite a bit of input. I doubt whoever they hire will be content sitting behind two young assistants.
I agree 15, I would hope that the new hire would have a fair amount of input, especially being the most experienced of that group.

But looking at the large picture, not sure how large of an immediate impact he will have this season. Both Sutton and John Carroll with all their wealth of experience , we didn't see it translate that effectively on the court.
I would be pleasantly surprised if we can attract a superstar head assistant with Cox not having his contract extended.

With all that said, I would welcome PM or Christian.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Al Skinner?
P Murph?
Someone with Rhody roots and check some boxes of a need.
1 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Other than It being a nice story, I don’t get the desire to hire someone who has played/ coached here previously. We have that in TJ. This staff needs an outsider with some fresh eyes/ideas.
4 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Rats jumping ship. Should have fired Cox, if he wasn't going to be extended. The program is crashing. The guarantee on Cox's salary would have been easy to cover.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

Rhodyram wrote: 3 years ago Sutton is highly liked/respected in the coaching world. He will have plenty of opportunities.
We shall see about this, I am not sure he is as highly thought of as you may think. I think A10 level or below is where he ends up. Liked/respected yes, but does not mean he is a top notch assistant. I would say based on what I saw, not very impressed by the top assistant on the staff. There is not one thing he did above average in my opinion.
1 x