A10 Outlook for 21-22

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Re: A10 Outlook for 21-22

Unread post by Rhody72 »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago ... We have a roster of average to above-average players, which to me, translated to something like 16-14.
I guess a better record will be a credit to great coaching!
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Does Rothstein know we are going to have a more positive message board this year? So that should probably bump us up at least a few spots.
4 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago
Very surprised to see Rothstein has Jordan Hall (St. Joe's) as a pre-season 1st team all A10.
I can think of several players I would rate ahead of him.

Also St. Joe's as his sleeper pick, rather than us. Hmmm
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago So I guess we've moved from UMass to George Mason, for Ramster's second team for the 2021-22 season.
Not true Greenwell.

As I have said many times I root for all 14 A10 Teams.
I don’t hate on UMASS, Fordham, LaSalle, George Mason, Duquesne, etc like some here do. So when someone says a negative comment about why would a kid choose GMU it seems to me to putting down the conference itself.

On top of that URI has regressed back to being middle of the pack. I didn’t like seeing URI fans putting down the lower echelon teams when Harrick and Hurley had us in the A10 Elite and it’s even worse to see people do this when I see us in danger of joining the mid and lower echelon teams.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago So I guess we've moved from UMass to George Mason, for Ramster's second team for the 2021-22 season.
Not true Greenwell.

I don’t hate on UMASS, Fordham, LaSalle, George Mason, Duquesne, etc like some here do. So when someone says a negative comment about why would a kid choose GMU it seems to me to putting down the conference itself.

On top of that URI has regressed back to being middle of the pack. I didn’t like seeing URI fans putting down the lower echelon teams when Harrick and Hurley had us in the A10 Elite and it’s even worse to see people do this when I see us in danger of joining the mid and lower echelon teams.
In danger of being middling? We were 10-15 last year. It's ok Ramster, because the crap we give other middling A10 teams, we will be giving the same to URI if Cox doesn't turn it around this year.
3 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Under Cox we've been 28-24 in the A10 and finished 8th, 3rd, and 10th. Yeah, we're not in danger of being middling, we're here
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
Not true Greenwell.

On top of that URI has regressed back to being middle of the pack. I didn’t like seeing URI fans putting down the lower echelon teams when Harrick and Hurley had us in the A10 Elite and it’s even worse to see people do this when I see us in danger of joining having joined the mid and lower echelon teams in the A10.
In danger of being middling? We were 10-15 last year. It's ok Ramster, because the crap we give other middling A10 teams, we will be giving the same to URI if Cox doesn't turn it around this year.
Fixed if for ya theblueram.

Agree with you.

But even if we were up with VCU, Dayton and St Louis as we were in the Upper Tier under Harrick and Hurley I’d still have the same view of URI fans berating other A10 teams. But when your glass house already has some cracked windows in it obviously it really is a bad look.

NCAA is the goal. That seems more like a dream judging the overall performance since I went to Sacramento to see the Creighton win and the very real scare we gave to Oregon.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago Under Cox we've been 28-24 in the A10 and finished 8th, 3rd, and 10th. Yeah, we're not in danger of being middling, we're here
Fixed it
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Not true Greenwell.

On top of that URI has regressed back to being middle of the pack. I didn’t like seeing URI fans putting down the lower echelon teams when Harrick and Hurley had us in the A10 Elite and it’s even worse to see people do this when I see us in danger of joining having joined the mid and lower echelon teams in the A10.

Agree with you.

But even if we were up with VCU, Dayton and St Louis as we were in the Upper Tier under Harrick and Hurley I’d still have the same view of URI fans berating other A10 teams. But when your glass house already has some cracked windows in it obviously it really is a bad look.

NCAA is the goal. That seems more like a dream judging the overall performance since I went to Sacramento to see the Creighton win and the very real scare we gave to Oregon.
I agree we should not be putting down other A10 teams, but there is an exception to that rule - Fordham. They don’t belong. Other programs are up and down, Fordham has basically never been up.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodylaw wrote: 2 years ago

Agree with you.

I agree we should not be putting down other A10 teams, but there is an exception to that rule - Fordham. They don’t belong. Other programs are up and down, Fordham has basically never been up.
Respectfully disagree.
Everyone here has stated their opinion on Fordham many times.
It’s up to the A10. Never has a team been booted from the A10.
Some posters love to bash Fordham, others hate upon other A10 schools.
URI would be better to position itself for the future realignment of conferences. More likely URI dodges Fordham that way than to hope the A10 cuts Fordham loose.

Some used to combine Fordham and Duquesne but Duquesne is on the rise with Keith Dambrot and facilities improvements.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Agree with you.

Getting Kyle Neptune was a plus.

He was part of a winning program and is a NYC guy. Should be a good fit.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago

Agree with you.

Getting Kyle Neptune was a plus.

He was part of a winning program and is a NYC guy. Should be a good fit.
And I’m rooting for him
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

SLU just got better at guard with more depth.
Heard that DeAndre Jones committed, had a nice career at Central Arkansas.

Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Not true Greenwell.

Agree with you.

We all want the same thing Ramster. That's for sure.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rothstein did slip up several times by mistakenly confusing Bones Hyland with Ace when referring to his injury. Surprised he never caught it.
Bones as we know is in the NBA draft.

Also what is amazing about Schmidt and the Bonnies this upcoming season is that after losing their entire bench he replaced all those players with more talent, depth, and balance. For him to reload like this in a place like Olean using recruits, international players, jucos, and transfers is special.

Looking at his bench , all scholarships now filled:

Guards
Quadry Adams (6'3", transfer/Wake Forest)
Linton Brown (6'5", juco)
Joryan Saizonou (6'3", recruit/Amsterdam)
Justin Ndjock-Tadjore (6'7" recruit/Canada)

Forwards
Karim Coulibaly (6'8", transfer/Pitt)
Anouar Mellouk (6'8", recruit/Amsterdam)
Pedro Rossi (6'7" recruit/Argentina)

Center
Oluwasegun Durosinmi (6'9", juco)
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

All the starters are double digit scorers, just as the Bonnies.
This should be a huge season for Chris Mooney.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

How are they that old? Some might be 24 by the seasons start.
0 x
GO RAMS
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago How are they that old? Some might be 24 by the seasons start.
Sheppard is already 24. Plenty of guys turn 20 their freshman year, add in an extra year and the average age goes up.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago How are they that old? Some might be 24 by the seasons start.
Previous redshirt years for some as well as using the extra free year due to Covid.
0 x
Go Rhody
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Impressive/interesting that Richmond has largely been insulated from the transfer portal.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 2 years ago Impressive/interesting that Richmond has largely been insulated from the transfer portal.
Yes, as much as everyone seems to dump on Chris Mooney, he deserves some credit.

Everyone forgets that they would of gotten an NCAAT bid in 2020 finishing 2nd in the A10 (24/7)

Also he has 4 seniors returning for their additional year (Gilyard, Cayo, Sherod, and Golden) and they all happen to be impact players.
They must be comfortable with the staff and have some loyalty to him, to make the decision to come back.
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Yea they were considered a serious squad and very experienced LAST YEAR.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

https://www.barttorvik.com/

URI Projected at #88 in the 2022 pre season rankings. Good enough for 5th in the conference. I’ll pause and wait for the negativity
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago https://www.barttorvik.com/

URI Projected at #88 in the 2022 pre season rankings. Good enough for 5th in the conference. I’ll pause and wait for the negativity
…….5 minutes in……here ya go…….me thinks we are gonna be better than some think…….big year and few pleasant surprises from unlikely sources…….good sized crowds in the RC…….EZ Buckets doing his thing…….wiping my slate of negative thoughts…….a team that will compete for the top……why you ask…….the Twins…….been begging for bigs for years…….now we got’em……Go Rhody…….
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Well, we'd have to be in the 40s or better to probably be an NCAA tournament team, so... ;) That being said, I personally don't put much stock in the preseason rankings. There are just too many unknown variables. I'm kind of surprised how bullish that projection system is on transfers, though - Texas is #3 as a result.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago

…….5 minutes in……here ya go…….me thinks we are gonna be better than some think…….big year and few pleasant surprises from unlikely sources…….good sized crowds in the RC…….EZ Buckets doing his thing…….wiping my slate of negative thoughts…….a team that will compete for the top……why you ask…….the Twins…….been begging for bigs for years…….now we got’em……Go Rhody…….
I do have to laugh, all the top tier teams in our conference have talented bigs and most of those fans feel that their frontcourt will completely dominate the paint in the A10.

I actually think the key to our season will be our guard play.

I expect our frontcourt to hold their own, but we need the guards to step up for us to really compete.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago

I do have to laugh, all the top tier teams in our conference have talented bigs and most of those fans feel that their frontcourt will completely dominate the paint in the A10.

I actually think the key to our season will be our guard play.

I expect our frontcourt to hold their own, but we need the guards to step up for us to really compete.
The Mitchell twins and Walker will do more than hold their own. I agree that you need good guard play in the A10 but our strength is our frontcourt.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago

Well, we'd have to be in the 40s or better to probably be an NCAA tournament team, so... ;) That being said, I personally don't put much stock in the preseason rankings. There are just too many unknown variables. I'm kind of surprised how bullish that projection system is on transfers, though - Texas is #3 as a result.
Haha of course and I’m also just poking the bear posting that. Preseason rankings mean little to nothing. I’d also argue Texas probably has the best transfer class on the history of college basketball to be fair.

More of a jab at the folks thinking we’re neck and neck with the likes of George Mason
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago

Haha of course and I’m also just poking the bear posting that. Preseason rankings mean little to nothing. I’d also argue Texas probably has the best transfer class on the history of college basketball to be fair.

More of a jab at the folks thinking we’re neck and neck with the likes of George Mason
We just finished 10th in the A10... I'd like to think we are better than teams like George Mason but I need to see it first.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago

We just finished 10th in the A10... I'd like to think we are better than teams like George Mason but I need to see it first.
We did beat them by 20, for whatever that’s worth
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Haha, of course and I’m also just poking the bear posting that. Preseason rankings mean little to nothing. I’d also argue Texas probably has the best transfer class on the history of college basketball to be fair.

We just finished 10th in the A10... I'd like to think we are better than teams like George Mason, but I need to see it first.
Exactly. That proves how inconsistent we were under Cox last year. Beat VCU, Lose to Umass, Stomp George Mason, lose to Duquense... On paper, we should kill teams like George Mason. Until I see some consistency under this coaching staff, I view us as nothing more than a mid-level A10 team that will have some surprise wins and some surprise losses. Prove me wrong Cox!!
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

We just finished 10th in the A10... I'd like to think we are better than teams like George Mason, but I need to see it first.
Exactly. That proves how inconsistent we were under Cox last year. Beat VCU, Lose to Umass, Stomp George Mason, lose to Duquense... On paper, we should kill teams like George Mason. Until I see some consistency under this coaching staff, I view us as nothing more than a mid-level A10 team that will have some surprise wins and some surprise losses. Prove me wrong Cox!!
I am not that hung up on last season, the entire BB season was a total shit show.

In my mind I erased this past year and feel there should be an asterisk next to it. As I said all the games felt more like scrimmages.

Stevey I know you are very confident about our frontcourt especially the twins.

Just how do you think Cox will utilize both Makhel and Makhi, and how many minutes will they be on the floor together?

At this time I am not ready to proclaim any of them all A10 players.

Yes our frontcourt may be a strength but as I said our success will lie with the productivity of our guards.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The Barttorvik 2022 T-Rank College Basketball A-10 Projections
Barttorvik.png
Barttorvik.png (8.58 KiB) Viewed 1732 times
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago The Barttorvik 2022 T-Rank College Basketball A-10 Projections
Barttorvik.png
Projection of being the 6th highest ranked A10 team makes sense to me.
Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I will take Over 88 think we land in the 100-130 range
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

I am not that hung up on last season, the entire BB season was a total shit show.

In my mind I erased this past year and feel there should be an asterisk next to it. As I said, all the games felt more like scrimmages.

Just how do you think Cox will utilize both Makhel and Makhi, and how many minutes will they be on the floor together?

Yes our frontcourt may be a strength but as I said our success will lie with the productivity of our guards.
I'm not taking the time to break down their minutes. The head coach who gets paid a lot more than I do can figure that out. We don't land many big men with the size and talent of Makhel and Makhi. They have played with each other their entire lives. I'm confident they can play on the floor together.

Makhel started to figure things out when he dropped 23 on one of the best big men in the country. He averaged 12 and 7 the rest of the way. If he becomes more of a focal point of the offense I think he can average 14 and 8. He's more of the traditional big, so I expect him to take the most minutes at the 5.

Makhi will obviously need some time to get back to the speed of D1 but if he can progress like his brother it will be hard to keep him off the court. I think he's more than capable of playing the four. He has a good handle for a big and a better jumper than Makhel Obviously, he can play the 5 as well. He's a versatile big which is why he was recruited by some of the best programs in the country.

Instead of looking like a different team every game maybe next season our identity can be our frontcourt? Have a team that wears teams down with our length and size..Of course, we need our guards to make shots and create but saying our bigs will hold their own against A10 teams is downplaying the talent we have in our frontcourt.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Love the optimism!
Positivity!
Even the PC Troll in Ram/Sheep clothing is big time on board :D :D
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

In my mind I erased this past year and feel there should be an asterisk next to it. As I said, all the games felt more like scrimmages.

I'm not taking the time to break down their minutes. The head coach who gets paid a lot more than I do can figure that out. We don't land many big men with the size and talent of Makhel and Makhi. They have played with each other their entire lives. I'm confident they can play on the floor together.

Makhel started to figure things out when he dropped 23 on one of the best big men in the country. He averaged 12 and 7 the rest of the way. If he becomes more of a focal point of the offense I think he can average 14 and 8. He's more of the traditional big, so I expect him to take the most minutes at the 5.

Makhi will obviously need some time to get back to the speed of D1 but if he can progress like his brother it will be hard to keep him off the court. I think he's more than capable of playing the four. He has a good handle for a big and a better jumper than Makhel Obviously, he can play the 5 as well. He's a versatile big which is why he was recruited by some of the best programs in the country.

Instead of looking like a different team every game maybe next season our identity can be our frontcourt? Have a team that wears teams down with our length and size..Of course, we need our guards to make shots and create but saying our bigs will hold their own against A10 teams is downplaying the talent we have in our frontcourt.
I’d agree Stevie that both Mitchell’s can and will play together. With Makhel and Makhi both healthy they can also replace one another as they pick up Fouls - so more likely to get a full 40 minutes per game with at LEAST 1 Mitchell in the game - something we didn’t have last season.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I also think that at times we will see both Mitchell's on the floor together.

But Stevey, I am a little more cautious than you in thinking our frontcourt will just dominate all the other teams in our conference.

Even though the A10 has been regarded as a guard talented league, there is an abundance of excellent bigs, especially in the upper half of the A10.

I do like your optimism though.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago I also think that at times we will see both Mitchell's on the floor together.

But Stevey, I am a little more cautious than you in thinking our frontcourt will just dominate all the other teams in our conference.

Even though the A10 has been regarded as a guard talented league, there is an abundance of excellent bigs, especially in the upper half of the A10.

I agree the A10 has some great bigs and it won't be easy. However, if teams are focused on our bigs, it will make things easier for our guards. I worry that Shep will need some time to grow into our top option. He seemed passive sometimes last season. Fatts is the easy person to blame for that but I'm interested to see if Shep can take over like we think he can. Ish1 is my favorite Ram in a long time, but I think he will have some growing pains in a much bigger role next season. Same for Ish2 playing at a higher level. Where I feel the most comfortable is our frontcourt. Play through Makhel, Walker, and Makhi. If we are successful and teams start to double us, we have three guards that can hit open 3. We'll see!
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago I also think that at times we will see both Mitchell's on the floor together.

Don't forget we started to pull away against Seton Hall when we put both Mitchell's in the game. Totally shut them down inside and they stopped scoring.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago

Don't forget we started to pull away against Seton Hall when we put both Mitchell's in the game. Totally shut them down inside and they stopped scoring.
The SH game was by far Makhi's best game and maybe our entire team's. Sandro was basically a one man show for them.

The following game at Wisconsin wasn't good and Makhi along with Walker struggled with fouls.
0 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Rhody… #1 arena in the state.
Attachments
B2AD767E-E05F-4EC5-A4F5-3DD99CF88AEF.jpeg
0 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

SandorClegane wrote: 2 years ago Rhody… #1 arena in the state.
Before giving this much actual credibility, consider that this list has Gola Arena at LaSalle as the best in the state of Pennsylvania.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago
SandorClegane wrote: 2 years ago Rhody… #1 arena in the state.
Before giving this much actual credibility, consider that this list has Gola Arena at LaSalle as the best in the state of Pennsylvania.
These maps of each state are from Barstool and are actually always a joke just to get fan bases riled up. Look in the bottom right at the initials for where the “data” was taken from and it reads B.I.T.C.H.

The last one was for most passionate fan base in each state. The “data” is from the South Harmon Institute of Technology, or S.H.I.T. That is the name of a fake college from the movie Accepted.

That map also had U Maine as the most passionate fan base in the state of Arizona.
Attachments
A167B88D-DE97-4155-9FAE-30AEA1FC2B92.jpeg
1 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Davidson to take on Jermaine Harris

0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Davidson to take on Jermaine Harris

Should be a good game, NMSU is always competitve under coach Chris Jans.

The last time these 2 teams played NMSU won (69-68) in 2017-2018 at a tournament in Hawaii.

As previously mentioned they had 3 straight NCAAT bids 2018-2020 with 3 WAC titles.
They should be favored again to win the conference this season.

They also just signed a talented guard today Marcei Caston.

Also, Teddy "Buckets" Allen, Husker's leading scorer (16.5 pts/45%FG/5 rebs) granted a waiver for this season.

0 x