A10 Outlook for 21-22

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Re: A10 Outlook for 21-22

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I agree with Luke.
0 x
GO RAMS
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I guess it's fun to speculate about how many wins we'll end up with, but anybody who thinks this team will win upwards of 20 games, has been sipping too much holiday sauce.

We have 1 [one] chance of Dancing. Win the A10 tournament, as far fetched as that sounds.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

luke wrote: 2 years ago Win out and go to A 10 championship ? you think URI has to go 30 -4 to make the dance ? Really ? I think that is a little extreme . If URI can win at
St. Bonaventure , split with Dayton and Davidson and at VCU and finish 13 -5 and win two in the A 10 Tournament for an overall record of 25 -9 I
think they would probably get in . Will any of this happen ? Who knows ?
I think we’d have to go 10-3 and 15-3 that would be Ramsters 25-6 highly unlikely
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

luke wrote: 2 years ago All of this talk about the A 10 being a one bid league makes me chuckle . I think I've heard that before in other years when the league ended up with three or four teams in when all was said and done. Don't forget that the other teams around the country need to play out their seasons too . I could
see Dayton , St. Bonaventure and possibly one other contending for an at large bid and another team collecting the A 10 automatic bid . so i wouldn't yet count out the possibility of three or four teams making the dance . It is way too early to make any such determination . Some of it also depends on how many league winners win their tournament championships which could leave extra bids on the board or conversely , could take them away . Sure it
is a fun topic , but be careful about speaking with authority at this point in the season . Is URI out of the question as an at large bid or possibly the
automatic bid ? I don't think so , not yet . Of course they will need to beat some of the better conference teams especially on the road , but at this point
I don't think that is out of the question . They are playing elite defense right now and shooting the ball well . they just need tocut down on the silly fouls and the turnovers . I think that isn't too much to ask. The size and talent seem to be there from my perspective.
With just a few games left in OOC play the A10 best NET is 48 Davidson followed by St Louis 68 and VCU 79.

These numbers must improve a lot for A10 to get 3-4 teams in.

Problem will be that A10 play will begin with poor individual team NET rankings unless something changes in the last 2-3 OOC games.
EBE08352-1DC7-4B7E-9604-9C32EA9CBB25.png
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Ramster there is zero chance for the A10 to get 3-4 bids this year. Let’s hope for at least two but even that is going to take some good luck.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

BAR,
I’m certainly not saying the A10 will get 3-4 teams, I’m countering Luke who says they can get 3-4 teams.
I’m of the opinion it’s a 1 team League this year, outside shot at 2. The NET Rankings tell the story.

URI must shoot for winning the A10 Tournament - which I think they have the capability of winning.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Agree on 2 tops with a good chance just for 1 bid

Bona soiling their shorts is certainly not helping
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Who's getting an at large in the A10? Right now, I see no team.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Dayton
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

rhodysurf wrote: 2 years agoDayton
Dayton has a NET of 95. Loooong way for them to even be in the discussion.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
Agree but they have the best path
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

rhodysurf wrote: 2 years ago
Agree but they have the best path
They killed their chances with 3 quad 4 losses. We'll see, but I expect a few more surprise losses along the way.. They will undoubtedly need to beat us.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

There is a chance that the top 3-4 teams in the league win virtually all of their games . Let'[s say the Bonnies go 16 -2 St. Louis goes 15- 3 and URI goes 15 - 3 . so the Bonnies go 26 - 4 win one in A 10 tourney and finish 27 - 5 . St. Louis finishes at 25 - 6 wins one in A 10 tourney and finishes 26 -7 .
URI goes 25 - 6 wins two in A 10 tourney and finishes 27 - 7 . Davidson wins the A 10 tournament . In this scenario is everyone saying that teams at
27 -5 , 26 -7 and 27 - 7 won't get at large bids ? Sure this might not be an expected or even likely scenario , but at this point in the season it
doesn't seem impossible . It could be that the top 4 in the A 10 turn out to be so dominant that it happens this way . and their only losses are to each other. we don't know what will happen around the country either . Lots of potential at large teams could pick up bad losses to two or three of their league bottom feeders and there could also be more at large bids available if more potential at large teams in one and two bid leagues win their tournaments
more frequently than usual . I'm not saying that some or any of these things are likely right now , but it is way too early to speculate on it I think.
After Dayton lost three in a row at home how many had them beating Miami and Kansas and now Virginia Tech . They have the potential to go on a long run the rest of the way with the talent they have and get in along with St. Bonaventure , and Davidson possibly . I wouldn't bet against it right now.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think one of the top teams is going to need a 15-3 or better conference record to make it as an at large, 14-4 or worse and I don’t think the resumes will be there on Selection Sunday
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Could be , but you never now what the rest of the teams in the country will do . It doesn't seem to me that there are any dominant teams anywhere .
If true anyone can rise up by just winning . It seems that the NET is based on winning even more than who you play anymore especially road wins.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Also possible we not see the 15-3 as the top teams may split vs each other as there’s not much separation between the top teams like Bona Richmond Dayton STL VCU Davidson snd URI
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

I know we complain a lot here about our team this year, but imagine being a fan of all these veteran A10 teams?

Bonnie’s and Richmond have been building to this for 3-4 years now and have nothing to show for it. Senior laden teams that can’t beat anyone significant. That’s a tough pill to swallow
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

The committee always cares about good wins over teams in the field over bad losses, every year without fail
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago Who's getting an at large in the A10? Right now, I see no team.
Best odds in my mind are either Davidson or Richmond, and both are MASSIVE long shots. There's really no at-large candidate as of right now, but those two teams have the best chances to build a resume.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think Richmond and Bona are going to battle it out for best record in conference maybe 14-4 gets the 1 seed

Dayton and STL I think will be 3rd and 4th
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

reef wrote: 2 years ago I think Richmond and Bona are going to battle it out for best record in conference maybe 14-4 gets the 1 seed

Dayton and STL I think will be 3rd and 4th
VCU just got Baldwin back no way they finish outside the top 4.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Richmond did beat NC State , but I haven't been that impressed by what I've seen of them so far . The win over NC State would help those A 10 teams
that can beat Richmond , especially at home. St. Louis has been far from impressive so far as well. Dayton has been coming on , but still have had
quite a bit of erratic play despite wins over Kansas , Miami, and Virginia Tech . they have looked better than any of the other A 10 teams lately
though . Really, anything can happen and nothing would surprise me in the A 10 this season.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

luke wrote: 2 years ago Win out and go to A 10 championship ? you think URI has to go 30 -4 to make the dance ? Really ? I think that is a little extreme . If URI can win at
St. Bonaventure , split with Dayton and Davidson and at VCU and finish 13 -5 and win two in the A 10 Tournament for an overall record of 25 -9 I
Yes. Because we haven’t played anyone. The OOC has been a disaster for the conference and we may only have 1-2 Q1 games. We already have a Q3 and Q4 loss.

This schedule is no different than an OVC or MVC schedule this year. It’s why they always have a 26+ win team “snubbed”.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
Yes. Because we haven’t played anyone. The OOC has been a disaster for the conference and we may only have 1-2 Q1 games. We already have a Q3 and Q4 loss.

This schedule is no different than an OVC or MVC schedule this year. It’s why they always have a 26+ win team “snubbed”.
Yes, our schedule has been weaker than previous seasons.
It was a shame that Seton Hall postponed their game with us because of scheduling conflicts.
Also, the Georgia State game would have been much more competitive if they had their top players and more than half their team.

Based on how we finished last season and the way our team looks so far; I am okay with the way it worked out.
I don't see how getting blown out by a strong P5 team on their home court would have helped our resume.

Regardless, I didn't see us as an NCAAT this season anyway.
My thinking hasn't changed much on that and still feel the only way we would make the NCAAT is by winning the A10T.
Early on I didn't think that was possible, but because of the erratic play of the top tier A10 teams, we may have a chance.

Our team doesn't have the star power, but we do have good depth and talent/size up front to compete with anyone in our conference.
I wouldn't have thought that prior to the season.

The twins need to stay out of foul trouble, and Shep has to be consistent and become the leader.
With Bassy continuing to mature and if Carey plays up to his talent level, I like our rotation of these 9 players.
This will be necessary to make a deep run in the A10T, possibly playing 4 games in 4 days.
Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

It’s a good thing we didn’t play seton hall because we would have been run off the court lmaoo
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

No way is the A10 strong this year as has been mentioned numerous times earlier in this thread

No way 3-4 teams get invited to the Field of 68

Best to play to win the A10 Tournament.

These poor NET numbers will not help A10 teams improve much because so many teams are worse than in prior years.
8F87247B-5149-4EE2-8768-174273B22FA8.jpeg
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

What's extreme is thinking this team will win out until the A10 championship. Let's be reasonable here. I used to believe that in the Baron days. Well, if we were to win out, we have a chance! It's unrealistic.

Having a bunch of wins doesn't matter anymore. What matters is winning Quad 1 and Quad 2 games.

**Update since I thought Quad 1 games are top 50 at home...

Quad 1 games remaining- @Davidson @VCU....
Now keep in mind VCU is barely a top 75 team. So hopefully, that remains a Quad 1 game

Quad 2 games remaining- @Gmason, @Dayton, @Bonnies, St Louis, Davidson

So if we are lucky, we have the chance to win a total of 2 Quad 1 games and 5 Quad 2 games. We already have a Quad 3 and Quad 4 loss. It's not happening.

We have played up and down basketball all season. I'm sure we will win some of these games, but we will also have some bad losses along the way. We always do under Cox. Our only chance at a bid is winning the A10
[/quote]
Last edited by steveystuds06 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
theblueram
Frank Keaney

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago
What's extreme is thinking this team will win out until the A10 championship. Let's be reasonable here. I used to believe that in the Baron days. Well, if we were to win out, we have a chance! It's unrealistic.

Having a bunch of wins doesn't matter anymore. What matters is winning Quad 1 and Quad 2 games.

Quad 1 games remaining- At Davidson, Davidson, At VCU....
Now keep in mind Davidson could fall out of the top 50, and VCU is barely a top 75 team. So hopefully, these stay Quad 1 games.

Quad 2 games remaining- @Gmason, @Dayton, @Bonnies, St Louis.

So if we are lucky, we have the chance to win a total of 3 Quad 1 games and 4 Quad 2 games. We already have a Quad 3 and Quad 4 loss. It's not happening.

We have played up and down basketball all season. I'm sure we will win some of these games, but we will also have some bad losses along the way. We always do under Cox. Our only chance at a bid is winning the A10
Actually Quad 1 wins at home are against teams 1-30, so our game against Davidson at home is Quad 2.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Now keep in mind Davidson could fall out of the top 50, and VCU is barely a top 75 team. So hopefully, these stay Quad 1 games.

So if we are lucky, we have the chance to win a total of 3 Quad 1 games and 4 Quad 2 games. We already have a Quad 3 and Quad 4 loss. It's not happening.

Actually Quad 1 wins at home are against teams 1-30, so our game against Davidson at home is Quad 2.
So that's even worse.. Man, this schedule sucks.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Conference as a whole sucks. The “best” teams in our conference blew most of their opportunities. Dayton only team with a nice win and they might have 3 of the worst losses of any team in this conference
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Might not make a huge difference, but I’m all for the A10 adopting the CUSA model of having the Top 4 teams all play each other at the end of conference play to improve each teams schedule.
3 x
Go Rhody
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 2 years ago
theblueram wrote: 2 years ago Who's getting an at large in the A10? Right now, I see no team.
Best odds in my mind are either Davidson or Richmond, and both are MASSIVE long shots. There's really no at-large candidate as of right now, but those two teams have the best chances to build a resume.
A 45 ish Net team is likely in. That is where Davidson is now.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

SLU has now lost 3 out of their last 4 games.
All those losses they had double digit leads late (UAB, Belmont, Auburn), pretty good teams though.
Ford has some players a little banged up and using a short bench.
They seem to be running out of gas, not being able to close out games.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago SLU has now lost 3 out of their last 4 games.
All those losses they had double digit leads late (UAB, Belmont, Auburn), pretty good teams though.
Ford has some players a little banged up and using a short bench.
They seem to be running out of gas, not being able to close out games.
We'd probably call that late lead losing stuff "coaching" in these parts?
2 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

McRam wrote: 2 years ago
Davidson is at 52 at the moment.They’ll need to pick up a few Quad 1/2 wins to have a shot. Right now the only A10 getting in is the conference tournament winner
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Davidson is at 52 at the moment.They’ll need to pick up a few Quad 1/2 wins to have a shot. Right now the only A10 getting in is the conference tournament winner
Saint Louis 70
VCU 79
Richmond 85

All A10 Teams have the same goal to get a NCAA bid - win the A10 Tournament
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I see all these A10 teams beating up on each other maybe 14-4 wins it or possibly 13-5 be surprised if we see a 15-3
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 2 years ago I see all these A10 teams beating up on each other maybe 14-4 wins it or possibly 13-5 be surprised if we see a 15-3
Doesn’t really matter other than for seeding purposes. Must win the A10 Tournament.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

ramster wrote: 2 years ago

Saint Louis 70
VCU 79
Richmond 85

o
I don't see it this way. Davidson is a bubble team right now with no bad losses... Beat Bama and they are probably in. There is a significant difference between winning a borderline Quad 1 game and beating a top 10 team. They will also likely need to finish first in the A10, but they still have a shot at receiving a bid. If they lose to Bama, then they are likely in the same boat as the rest of the A10 with needing an automatic bid
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Saint Louis 70
VCU 79
Richmond 85

o
I don't see it this way. Davidson is a bubble team right now with no bad losses... Beat Bama and they are probably in. There is a significant difference between winning a borderline Quad 1 game and beating a top 10 team. They will also likely need to finish first in the A10, but they still have a shot at receiving a bid. If they lose to Bama, then they are likely in the same boat as the rest of the A10 with needing an automatic bid
SEC NET Rankings
LSU 3
Auburn 9
Tennessee 10
Alabama NET = 24. They are not a top 10 team by the NET
Kentucky 32

Davidson was picked 6th preseason A10.

Long way to go.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Saint Louis 70
VCU 79
Richmond 85

o
SEC NET Rankings
LSU 3
Auburn 9
Tennessee 10
Kentucky 32

Long way to go.
I didn't say it was easy; I said it was possible. Bama will at worse be a top 25 team for the rest of the season. That's a massive win for any A10 team. If Davidson pulls off the upset and finishes first in the A10 I think they are in...I think Bama wins, though.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

o
SEC NET Rankings
LSU 3
Auburn 9
Tennessee 10
Kentucky 32

Long way to go.
I didn't say it was easy; I said it was possible. Bama will at worse be a top 25 team for the rest of the season. That's a massive win for any A10 team. If Davidson pulls off the upset and finishes first in the A10 I think they are in...I think Bama wins, though.
Just saying you called Alabama a Top 10 win, which it is by some rankings but not the one that counts, Dan Gavitt’s NET which has Alabama 24. A10 is going to in a difficult spot because the NET has the best team at only 54. Worst NET rankings I’ve seen for the A10 since the NET was invented. 3 of the 5 ranking criteria were dropped this year too. Not sure what impact that had on the A10, if any, but we are certainly down this season heading into A10 Conference play.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

SEC NET Rankings
LSU 3
Auburn 9
Tennessee 10
Kentucky 32

Long way to go.
Just saying you called Alabama a Top 10 win, which it is by some rankings but not the one that counts, Dan Gavitt’s NET which has Alabama 24. A10 is going to in a difficult spot because the NET has the best team at only 54. Worst NET rankings I’ve seen for the A10 since the NET was invented. 3 of the 5 ranking criteria were dropped this year too. Not sure what impact that had on the A10, if any, but we are certainly down this season heading into A10 Conference play.
Beating a team ranked in the top 10 in the AP and Coaches poll would be considered a massive win to the committee. It counts... That is the type of win that gets bubble teams in.. Bama's NET will only improve since they play in a stacked conference.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago

Conference as a whole sucks. The “best” teams in our conference blew most of their opportunities. Dayton only team with a nice win and they might have 3 of the worst losses of any team in this conference
Yes, the A10 has been a bit a disappointment this season.
The top tier teams have not performed well on a consistent basis.
They have some very bad losses and have not taken advantage of certain opportunities.

But still, I wouldn't say our conference totally sucks.
We are a top 10 basketball conference.
We currently have more teams in KenPom's top 100 than any other non P6 conference (7).
Granted there are other Mid-Majors that have teams which are much higher ranked, but overall the A10 has decent depth.

But things are looking up, next season we add Loyola/Chicago which is the highest ranked team in the MVC (currently #15 NET)
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Beating a team ranked in the top 10 in the AP and Coaches poll would be considered a massive win to the committee. It counts... That is the type of win that gets bubble teams in.. Bama's NET will only improve since they play in a stacked conference.
Alabama lost to Memphis 92-78 NET 55 then beat Jacksonville State NET 173 at home by only 65-59. Those games go into the daily NET calculations and those 2 games will be reflected in this Monday (today) AP and Coaches Polls.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago

They have some very bad losses and have not taken advantage of certain opportunities.

We currently have more teams in KenPom's top 100 than any other non P6 conference (7).
Granted there are other Mid-Majors that have teams which are much higher ranked, but overall the A10 has decent depth.

But things are looking up, next season we add Loyola/Chicago which is the highest ranked team in the MVC (currently #15 NET)
Consider that this Summer and Fall I often read here that the A-10 is a 3 to 4 bid conference and also that we had the best frontcourt in the A10.

I also read some comments against the idea of Loyola Chicago joining the A10.

Point is lots can change. Loyola fans might be wondering why change based on A10 this year. I love Loyola being added but several here questioned the move.

Ken Pom includes data from prior year in rankings. In this day and age with 1700 transfers and players getting 5th years then that makes using prior year data less reliable than in years past.

Only using current year as with NET (and even Realtime RPI that mist disdain) is better than using prior yea well into the season).

With NET we are only a 1 bid conference at this time. Could change but it’s tough heading into conference play with relatively poor NET compared to prior years.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Just saying you called Alabama a Top 10 win, which it is by some rankings but not the one that counts, Dan Gavitt's NET which has Alabama 24. A10 is going to in a difficult spot because the NET has the best team at only 54. Worst NET rankings I've seen for the A10 since the NET was invented. 3 of the 5 ranking criteria were dropped this year too. Not sure what impact that had on the A10, if any, but we are certainly down this season heading into A10 Conference play.
Alabama lost to Memphis 92-78 NET 55 then beat Jacksonville State NET 173 at home by only 65-59. Those games go into the daily NET calculations and those 2 games will be reflected in this Monday (today) AP and Coaches Polls.
I'm aware. I watched the Memphis game... That's why I said they will be a top 25 team all season and not top 10..

I think Davidson beating a team like Alabama will be a massive win on their resume. If they end up in first place in the A10 and have that marquee nonconference win, they will be in or extremely close. You disagree. We'll see what happens.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago

Consider that this Summer and Fall I often read here that the A-10 is a 3 to 4 bid conference and also that we had the best frontcourt in the A10.

I also read some comments against the idea of Loyola Chicago joining the A10.

Point is lots can change. Loyola fans might be wondering why change based on A10 this year. I love Loyola being added but several here questioned the move.

Ken Pom includes data from prior year in rankings. In this day and age with 1700 transfers and players getting 5th years then that makes using prior year data less reliable than in years past.

Only using current year as with NET (and even Realtime RPI that mist disdain) is better than using prior yea well into the season).

With NET we are only a 1 bid conference at this time. Could change but it’s tough heading into conference play with relatively poor NET compared to prior years.
Yes Ramster several did think we were possibly a 3-4 bid conference.
Perkins out, arguably the top A10 player and VCU losing Ace for most of the OOC and Watkins for the year didn't help matters.
Between what is presently happening with Covid and other possible injury issues (Lofton for one) who knows how things will turn out.

In the long run though I think the A10 will be okay.
The Loyola addition, a young/talented Dayton and VCU team.
English looks like he has GM on the right track.

Way to early to say what the A10 rosters may look like next season, but something to think about.
Perkins possibly returning to SLU for his farewell tour.
All the seniors for the Bonnies have an additional year of eligibility.
Rhody should also be in the discussion, especially if we return our core group.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I'm aware. I watched the Memphis game... That's why I said they will be a top 25 team all season and not top 10..

I think Davidson beating a team like Alabama will be a massive win on their resume. If they end up in first place in the A10 and have that marquee nonconference win, they will be in or extremely close. You disagree. We'll see what happens.
Let’s be clear with what I disagree with:

I have disagreed for months that the A10 will have 3 or 4 teams in the NCAA Tournament

I disagree that the A10 will have 2 or 3 teams in the NCAA Tournament

The A10 is likely a 1 Auto bid conference this year. Previously looked like St Bonaventure was a Top 15 team but certainly no more so previously a Bonnie’s loss in tge A10 Championship might mean a second A10 team gets in but not likely

Bottom line URI’s chances are to win the A10. Same as with all 13 A10 teams including Dayton.
0 x