'23 RI C - Isaiah Miranda (NC State)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Re: '23 RI C - Isaiah Miranda (Final Eight includes URI)

Unread post by SGreenwell »

RhodyKyle wrote: 1 year ago
Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago He strikes me as the kind of kid we'd need a Tom Ryan NIL deal for to get one year from him
Couldn't the booster that's part of the Milwaukee Bucks ownership woo this kid? Throw him some money for a few tweets and a hand shake agreement the Bucks will use a 2nd round pick on him.
Eh, there isn't any real benefit to being a second round pick, from the player's perspective. You'd rather be undrafted, because you're closer to free agency at that point, and unlike a first round pick, second round pick contracts aren't guaranteed.
0 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

If there was ever a time in history that a player of Miranda's ability should come to URI, it is right now.

Now more than ever, if you can play, the NBA will find you. Archie is a quality coach that will get the best out of his players. Stay close to home and be THE MAN in the state at 19 years old. He would never buy a meal in the state for the rest of his life if he played here then went pro and had even a decent career.

I did not blame Toppin for leaving under Cox. Our program is head and shoulders above where it was when Toppin left, and that's based purely on the Archie hiring.

If he goes to UCLA, USC, Louisville, he is just another guy that played there for a year or two and then went pro. He stays in RI, plays at URI and then goes Pro, we would still be talking about him 30 years from now. Take this fanbase's affinity for Lamar, and he was a mercenary.
8 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 1 year ago If there was ever a time in history that a player of Miranda's ability should come to URI, it is right now.

Now more than ever, if you can play, the NBA will find you. Archie is a quality coach that will get the best out of his players. Stay close to home and be THE MAN in the state at 19 years old. He would never buy a meal in the state for the rest of his life if he played here then went pro and had even a decent career.

I did not blame Toppin for leaving under Cox. Our program is head and shoulders above where it was when Toppin left, and that's based purely on the Archie hiring.

If he goes to UCLA, USC, Louisville, he is just another guy that played there for a year or two and then went pro. He stays in RI, plays at URI and then goes Pro, we would still be talking about him 30 years from now. Take this fanbase's affinity for Lamar, and he was a mercenary.
Nevermind that - you tend to shine a lot brighter in a lower conference with what you can do. Ja Morant and Obi Toppin are obvious examples.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

https://www.on3.com/news/isaiah-miranda ... de-island/

Says he plans to schedule a visit with us and was also behind our bench today for the game, if we got him my lord would he help
5 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

If he's who I think he is he looks like another tall skinny kid.. where's the beef..??
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Good to know, Dino. Veeeeery, veeeery interesting. 🤔

It’s great to see that the young man is keeping the hometown team, the state university in the mix. For some young men, playing, winning and succeeding at home is preferable.

To make a mark and leave a winning legacy in his home state, strive to be a great player for State U and return them to glory days could be something that interests him. Maybe he appreciates the history of the program that originated the fast break. Maybe these things are very compelling to him. We shall see how it goes.
1 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Wow is Isaiah ever tall and thin. He walked by us several times, looking around, smiling and glancing up the stands. Checking out the environment.

We can only hope, he could be the piece that starts he turnaround.
4 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Saw him last night, too (He's 7'1", so not easy to miss). Great game to have him at despite the result. If they can somehow, someway find a way to land him...
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 year ago Saw him last night, too (He's 7'1", so not easy to miss). Great game to have him at despite the result. If they can somehow, someway find a way to land him...
And here's where Bassy could become a very valuable member of the team...they're good friends.
5 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

So should we take that article to mean we're in the final four for this 4 star program changing player?

Louisville, Oregon, Texas, and URI.

Land him or not - being talked about with these kinds of kids tells you about how good our staff is.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I find it interesting that he was at the game on Saturday when he goes to school in southern California. The article notes that he is eligible to enroll in college after this semester. Is something brewing there? I'll remind you of this quote... “The chance to play for my home state and in front of my family and friends is something really intriguing to me. Plus my AAU teammate Sebastian Thomas is the point guard and we always had great chemistry.”
2 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago I find it interesting that he was at the game on Saturday when he goes to school in southern California. The article notes that he is eligible to enroll in college after this semester. Is something brewing there? I'll remind you of this quote... “The chance to play for my home state and in front of my family and friends is something really intriguing to me. Plus my AAU teammate Sebastian Thomas is the point guard and we always had great chemistry.”
I mean if he's going to come to a game at the Ryan Center this would be the one.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

He's also eligible for the NBA draft in June, so there's a chance he skips out on college all together.

Nice to be back involved with these types of kids again.
1 x
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Louisville is a mess right now , hope he chooses URI
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago I find it interesting that he was at the game on Saturday when he goes to school in southern California. The article notes that he is eligible to enroll in college after this semester. Is something brewing there? I'll remind you of this quote... “The chance to play for my home state and in front of my family and friends is something really intriguing to me. Plus my AAU teammate Sebastian Thomas is the point guard and we always had great chemistry.”
True, but that's a long way to go for a game.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Would we have a scholarship for him this year? Would it be between him and Harris for one?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago
Would we have a scholarship for him this year? Would it be between him and Harris for one?
I still feel it is a longshot that we land him.

But we only have 1 opening available at this time, unless of course someone transfers mid-semester.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago
I still feel it is a longshot that we land him.

But we only have 1 opening available at this time, unless of course someone transfers mid-semester.
Eh, I wouldn't really worry about an open spot for him. Typically when a player of his caliber verbals, the existing players on the roster see the writing on the wall and reevaluate whether they want to be practice / bench players. (I want to say that we were on the "benefit" end of this in the past 5 years, with someone de-committing from a bigger program and picking URI because of a major recruit deciding where to go, but for the life of me I can't remember who it was.) And all that being said, I still think it's way more likely that Miranda goes pro or to a one-year college hoops factory than ends up at URI.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

I could see him doing a year, or maybe two, in college then go pro. Play home in front of friends and family for as much as 2 yrs before the pro career begins could be very attractive to him - especially if he is having a blast, we are winning and the NIL dollars are good enough.

I believe the article mentioned NBA scouts are still evaluating him. His decision may hinge on what feedback he gets from the scouts, as others have indicated above.

I agree that it is certainly great for the program and fun for us that we are seriously in the mix.
0 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Louisville, Oregon, Texas, and URI.

Louisville - first time head coach in Payne. he may be great for them in time, he certainly has the resume to be a great coach, but if I am Miranda I am not banking the rest of my life on what happens at Louisville. They could be bad for several years.

Oregon - Great program, can't throw any real shade on them, but then he has to spend at least a year in Oregon. Playing for fans you don't know, away from family.

Texas - nothing to say because I put my foot in mouth enough on a regular basis.

URI - Play close to home, in front of family and friends. Be THE MAN on campus, not just another guy. Archie is just as good (if not better) as any of these other coaches. He has a track record. When he was at Dayton he got the best out of his players.

Looking at these teams and coaches, you can't say that Archie doesn't offer the same level of coaching talent and that's what matters at the end of the day. Sure Oregon gets cool uniforms. Sure Texas has beautiful weather. Sure Louisville has a proud history. But in all those places, he is just another guy. It's a good thing I don't have a job in sales because I would be terrible at it with this incoherent rambling. Hopefully he doesn't get distracted by all the other things these schools parade around besides what's really important; Basketball, and Family. and URI has both those things.
4 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 1 year ago Louisville, Oregon, Texas, and URI.

Louisville - first time head coach in Payne. he may be great for them in time, he certainly has the resume to be a great coach, but if I am Miranda I am not banking the rest of my life on what happens at Louisville. They could be bad for several years.

Oregon - Great program, can't throw any real shade on them, but then he has to spend at least a year in Oregon. Playing for fans you don't know, away from family.

Texas - nothing to say because I put my foot in mouth enough on a regular basis.

URI - Play close to home, in front of family and friends. Be THE MAN on campus, not just another guy. Archie is just as good (if not better) as any of these other coaches. He has a track record. When he was at Dayton he got the best out of his players.

Looking at these teams and coaches, you can't say that Archie doesn't offer the same level of coaching talent and that's what matters at the end of the day. Sure Oregon gets cool uniforms. Sure Texas has beautiful weather. Sure Louisville has a proud history. But in all those places, he is just another guy. It's a good thing I don't have a job in sales because I would be terrible at it with this incoherent rambling. Hopefully he doesn't get distracted by all the other things these schools parade around besides what's really important; Basketball, and Family. and URI has both those things.

You can’t just leave out NIL in your post talking about different schools and what they have to offer.

That is a huge selling point to kids nowadays.
1 x
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Are we for certain that this is his final 4 ??
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

reef wrote: 1 year ago

Are we for certain that this is his final 4 ??
Absolutely not. But he's taken 3 officials so far - he lists those 4 as his remaining.

Now, the kid should take every recruiting visit he's offered. But he listed 7 in the article, down from the 8 in his last post.

The way the article presents it is that it would be one of the 4 remaining...but again, who knows. Just exciting that we're still involved.

You could surmise we might've been involved for the Bassy connection - not just the local piece. UConn would've been a good fit for him, as Hurley just had a lottery pick 2 years ago. PC was in the mix as well, but isn't.
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Unless things have changed recently (they very well could have), kids are only allowed 5 official visits.
0 x
Go Rhody
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Why
Not
Us?
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Austin TX>Kingston RI
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

0 x
GO RAMS
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

NC State....................................................WHAT?
0 x
GO RAMS
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

NC STATE??
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

WTF - did NC State even offer him? Talk about stealth...

This is why recruiting is dumb lol. NIL money probably did some talking here.
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

NC State wasn't even mentioned in that article.
0 x
GO RAMS
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

https://ncstate.rivals.com/news/four-st ... o-nc-state
WHAT’S NEXT FOR NC STATE
With the commitment of Miranda, there’s been a lot of buzz that he could enroll early and play for the Wolfpack as early as mid-to-late December. If things play out this way, there couldn’t be better timing for NC State as senior big man Dusan Mahorcic suffered a knee injury against Coppin State on Tuesday and looks to miss a decent chunk of time. Miranda would have a big learning curve heading into the college game, but is talented enough to provide immediate minutes the moment he steps on campus for the 8-2 Wolfpack.

https://247sports.com/Article/college-b ... 199873379/
“I have a personal commitment to work and they have a culture of work,” Miranda said. “Coach Keatts and his staff have a great history of developing pros and I fit into their playing style because they’re fast paced, they have a lot of pick-and-roll action, and play great defense.”
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Yuk
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Pure speculation

Combo of NIL money and ability to enroll and play right away probably made this happen out of nowhere.

He can always just leave next year if he shows enough in the 2nd semester. Obviously unlikely to us
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Talk about a decision coming out of left field. Who expected this decision and so soon? Shocking turn of events. :shock:

Maybe he’s planning to enter the draft and this is a way to play against good competition and pickup NIL dollars until the draft combine or the draft?

NC State?! Crap! I’m bummed.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

So, I guess we're not getting that visit...
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago So, I guess we're not getting that visit...
No visit. No tickey. No laundry.

We got nothin’

After the game results tonight and this news, I’m wearing black tomorrow. I’m in mourning. Ooooph
0 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

I guess my post didn't sway him. I for one am shocked.
3 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Recruited? Or drafted?
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Gotta figure NIL money is the driving force here. Keatts is on the hot seat as the NC State program has trended downward under his leadership, and NC State AD Boo Corrigan didn't hire Keatts. Keatts is also a Pitino disciple so you figure he's willing to do shady things when necessary.

I do get a kick out of Miranda saying "Coach Keatts and his staff have a great history of developing pros". To my knowledge, the only NBA player Keatts has developed while a HC was Omer Yurtseven during Keatts' first year at NC State.

I guess from Miranda's perspective, secure the NIL money and if it Keatts gets canned he can take his talents elsewhere.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

STC wrote: 1 year ago Gotta figure NIL money is the driving force here. Keatts is on the hot seat as the NC State program has trended downward under his leadership, and NC State AD Boo Corrigan didn't hire Keatts. Keatts is also a Pitino disciple so you figure he's willing to do shady things when necessary.

I do get a kick out of Miranda saying "Coach Keatts and his staff have a great history of developing pros". To my knowledge, the only NBA player Keatts has developed while a HC was Omer Yurtseven during Keatts' first year at NC State.

I guess from Miranda's perspective, secure the NIL money and if it Keatts gets canned he can take his talents elsewhere.
Love how if a Top 40 kid doesn't choose us and goes to an ACC school, it automatically is "shady."
1 x
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
STC wrote: 1 year ago Gotta figure NIL money is the driving force here. Keatts is on the hot seat as the NC State program has trended downward under his leadership, and NC State AD Boo Corrigan didn't hire Keatts. Keatts is also a Pitino disciple so you figure he's willing to do shady things when necessary.

Love how if a Top 40 kid doesn't choose us and goes to an ACC school, it automatically is "shady."
I mean - it wasn’t reported on any recruiting site that he was even offered by NC State. They weren’t listed in his official visits. They weren’t listed in his final 8. They weren’t mentioned in the article that came out 3 days before he signed.

Fair to question what happened there.
4 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I'd bet that the other schools (Texas, Louisville etc) are all thinking the same thing about where the hell NC State came from.
2 x
GO RAMS
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago

I mean - it wasn’t reported on any recruiting site that he was even offered by NC State. They weren’t listed in his official visits. They weren’t listed in his final 8. They weren’t mentioned in the article that came out 3 days before he signed.

Fair to question what happened there.
Yep, if he picked Oregon or Texas, we're not having this discussion.
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Would you consider shady as a last minute six figure offer? I wouldn’t.

Before NIL I definitely would, but if new NIL money was presented, that’s just the name of the game these days.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago Would you consider shady as a last minute six figure offer? I wouldn’t.

Before NIL I definitely would, but if new NIL money was presented, that’s just the name of the game these days.
I'm not sure how NIL offers work, but I'm assuming they are internal, and therefore other schools/press/public are unaware of the details? Like interviews for a job.
0 x
GO RAMS
RJRam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RJRam »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago Would you consider shady as a last minute six figure offer? I wouldn’t.

I'm not sure how NIL offers work, but I'm assuming they are internal, and therefore other schools/press/public are unaware of the details? Like interviews for a job.
I guess it is the new landscape. Open up the wallet and grab a free agent when you need one. Does Rhody have a wallet?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RJRam wrote: 1 year ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago

I guess it is the new landscape. Open up the wallet and grab a free agent when you need one. Does Rhody have a wallet?
Yes, Rhody has a wallet. Unfortunately, many other schools have large bags.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

There’s the Rhode to Excellence NIL collective (I think it’s considered a collective) for Rhody athletics ( or is it for mbb only?) that is up and running but, only very recently.

I think a copy of the press release is in the Arch and Ed Cooley podcast thread?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Looks like he's already there. Does that mean Ant can be here when he is ready?

0 x