'23 RI C - Isaiah Miranda (NC State)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Re: '23 RI C - Isaiah Miranda (Final Eight includes URI)

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Seems like he plays rest of year then declares for the draft.
0 x
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago Seems like he plays rest of year then declares for the draft.
That would be a mistake, doubtful he is ready.
Hope he gets some good advice.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago Seems like he plays rest of year then declares for the draft.
That would be a mistake, doubtful he is ready.
Hope he gets some good advice.

Doesn’t have to be ready- just have a bank account open!
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Eh, I kind of wonder about his draft stock. If he lights it up for NC State in half a semester, then sure, he could declare. But Verbal Commits has him as a four-star, and it seems like his stock has fallen slightly over the past year or two. I think it's less likely that NC State is giving him tons of NIL bucks, and more likely that he signed because they promised him playing time immediately. (They don't have anyone averaging > 1 block per game, and at least by Sports Reference, they regularly play four guards at once, although one is 6'8" grad transfer Jack Clark from La Salle.)
0 x
Big Rhody Guy
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Big Rhody Guy »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Looks like he's already there. Does that mean Ant can be here when he is ready?

I believe as soon as the current semester ends new players are able to enroll and participate in team activities.
0 x
@Bigrhodyguy on Twitter
Blogging for fun @ https://bigrhodyguy.wixsite.com/website
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Big Rhody Guy wrote: 1 year ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Looks like he's already there. Does that mean Ant can be here when he is ready?

I believe as soon as the current semester ends new players are able to enroll and participate in team activities.
So can players put name in portal now and play with their new team just after semester ends?
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

ramster wrote: 1 year ago

So can players put name in portal now and play with their new team just after semester ends?
He's not a transfer - He's a mid-year signee. There's nothing preventing most high school players from doing this, except that it means they expend a full year of eligibility for half a season. Most players probably don't want to do this.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

This only makes sense for someone that thinks they only need 1-2 years of college ball before turning pro bc as SG mentioned you lose a full year of eligibility. There is zero chance he is a 2023 draft candidate but 2024 is more realistic so perhaps NC State gives him the immediate chance to suit up against ACC comp and start playing higher level comp.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago
ramster wrote: 1 year ago

He's not a transfer - He's a mid-year signee. There's nothing preventing most high school players from doing this, except that it means they expend a full year of eligibility for half a season. Most players probably don't want to do this.
Yeah,
I wasn’t clear. Crazy question entered my head with mid year transfers and immediate eligibility. Could a player on a current college team put their name in the portal now( let’s someone on URI now), what’s to prevent him for being immediately eligible by late December to play immediately for another team? What if his coach gets fired mid season, coils said player transfer to another team and play effective January? I doubt it, but seems reasonable.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I see one path where he kills it at NC State and either stays or goes pro. The other path is this mid-season commitment does not go well and he is in the transfer portal. Very little risk either way to be honest, if it works great. If not, someone will give him a fresh start and no one will hold the mid-season start year against him if he plays well somewhere else next season.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

I am very curious to see how he plays. I will follow his progress the rest of the year and try to watch a game.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Re: '23 RI C - Isaiah Miranda (NC State)

NC State at home against L’ville tonight. I know he just got there but maybe he will get a few minutes run if it’s a blow out either way. I will keep an eye out for a sighting.

Close game so far in first half.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Miranda didn’t play last night in NCS’s game against L’ville.

NC State’s next game is 12/30.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Periodically, out of curiosity, I will check in on NC State’s site to see if Miranda has played.

Nothing.

I thought he would get some playing time but he isn’t yet. Seems the plan is to attempt to work him into the rotation next season.
0 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

0 x
79RhodyFan
Steve Chubin

Unread post by 79RhodyFan »

The way things are going lately he will probably transfer to Albany to play with Bassy.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Damn what a disappointment year for that guy. Probably shooting for G league but that’s tough for a freshman who didn’t play at all.
0 x
GO RAMS
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

So do we have a chance?
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Go get him Kenny!
1 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

Never mind. He’s probably going pro.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Yeah not surprised. Was just some wishful thinking!
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

How can you go from playing zero minutes as a college freshman directly to the NBA?
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

He would have been an Austin recruit.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

KevanBoyles wrote: 11 months ago How can you go from playing zero minutes as a college freshman directly to the NBA?
He entered in second semester, so it's not like he was there the whole season, off season workouts, etc and didn't play.

NC State made the tourney, so maybe Keatts didn't want to mess with the rotation of an NCAA team.

Also, Shaedon Sharpe did the same exact thing last season at Kentucky and was drafted 7th overall.
0 x
Go Rhody
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Should've held onto Bassy!
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

KevanBoyles wrote: 11 months ago How can you go from playing zero minutes as a college freshman directly to the NBA?
The NBA is all about projection. There are plenty of players who were productive in college that would be negatives at that level, because of the jump in competition level and athleticism, similar to the high school to college jump. Miranda has size and length, and I think the scouting on him says he can shoot the 3 too. That being said, if he wasn't good enough to warrant immediate playing time at N.C. State - who had a decent year, but peaked at #22 in the rankings - I think he's more of a second round or undrafted free agent project type.
3 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

SGreenwell wrote: 11 months ago
The NBA is all about projection. There are plenty of players who were productive in college that would be negatives at that level, because of the jump in competition level and athleticism, similar to the high school to college jump. Miranda has size and length, and I think the scouting on him says he can shoot the 3 too. That being said, if he wasn't good enough to warrant immediate playing time at N.C. State - who had a decent year, but peaked at #22 in the rankings - I think he's more of a second round or undrafted free agent project type.
I would absolutely be shocked if he gets drafted, not happening.

He will probably go to some P6 program in the hope of increasing his draft interest down the road.
1 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 11 months ago He would have been an Austin recruit.
We’d have no chance of landing him then
1 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

19 year old 7 foot prospect who is a former consensus Top 50 recruit. I could easily see Miranda going late first. At worst, I think he goes second round.

Everyone trashed Patrick Baldwin Jr. on here last year (and rightfully so) but he still snuck into the first round.

He’s definitely a guy I could see a good team taking a flyer on thinking they can develop him in their GLeague program.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

STC wrote: 11 months ago 19 year old 7 foot prospect who is a former consensus Top 50 recruit. I could easily see Miranda going late first. At worst, I think he goes second round.

Everyone trashed Patrick Baldwin Jr. on here last year (and rightfully so) but he still snuck into the first round.

He’s definitely a guy I could see a good team taking a flyer on thinking they can develop him in their GLeague program.
Actually, I said Patrick Baldwin was going to get drafted and won a bet on here after he did. So not everyone trashed Patrick Baldwin.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

At least Patrick actually played.
0 x
GO RAMS
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

I agree with STC. I think there is a very good chance that he gets drafted. The NBA is all about projection and I can see a team falling in love with his physical gifts and drafting him. My understanding of his game is like he is the modern day 5, athletic kid that projects to be able to guard the pick and roll which is 90% of the NBA offense today and is able to spread the floor on the other end. I get it, he has not played above the high school level but I can see him being drafted.

I just saw SGreenwell's comments. Agreed, I typed the above before I read your comments. I just saw Jersey 77's response to STC.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Please let's not compare Patrick Baldwin who was the #1 recruit in the nation to Isaiah Miranda.
Aside from Patrick's ability, his body was much more NBA ready than Miranda's.

But again, I am not an NBA scout, so who knows.
1 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

If Dayton's Holmes is considered a number 64 NBA draft pick I just can't see Miranda as a first round pick or even a second round pick . Holmes wouldn't be a bench player for any college as a freshman , so Miranda would be a first rounder with no track record at all ? I doubt it .
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

steveystuds06 wrote: 11 months ago
STC wrote: 11 months ago 19 year old 7 foot prospect who is a former consensus Top 50 recruit. I could easily see Miranda going late first. At worst, I think he goes second round.

Actually, I said Patrick Baldwin was going to get drafted and won a bet on here after he did. So not everyone trashed Patrick Baldwin.
That was pretty profound and you nailed it. Giants Fan owes you beers :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Jersey77 wrote: 11 months ago

He will probably go to some P6 program in the hope of increasing his draft interest down the road.
Once you hit the second round - and the contracts aren't guaranteed - some teams are basically just taking long shot prospects. Like Kostas Antetokounmpo got taken in the second round. I think it's more likely than not that he's undrafted, but he's probably gotten some assurances that he can get a G-League contract at least.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77 wrote: 11 months ago

Once you hit the second round - and the contracts aren't guaranteed - some teams are basically just taking long shot prospects. Like Kostas Antetokounmpo got taken in the second round. I think it's more likely than not that he's undrafted, but he's probably gotten some assurances that he can get a G-League contract at least.
He may make more NIL $ plus increase his future draft status if he plays in P6 this season.

Ryan Kalkbrenner (7-footer Creighton) one of the top bigs in the country and was BE DPOY, also averaged 16 pts last season still with 2 years eligibility is expected to be a late 2nd round or go undrafted, he can also stretch it and a handful in the paint. Plus much stronger than Miranda.
The Blue Jays are expecting him to return next season and drop out of the draft.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

And with NIL now a days it makes sense to get another year of college than risk being a fringe 2nd rounder
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Read NC State Boards to get a read on what they thought.
Most along the lines of below. He never played even a minute even when the bench was getting time in blowouts.
Got recruited over this spring after having had half a season of practices to prove his future worth.

Miranda had a lot of potential (low risk, high reward get in Dec)…wish him the best, selfishly I hope he stays in the draft but whatever he chooses good for him
Still…The fact he couldn’t earn minutes over Ebe, that the staff wasn’t even comfortable playing him in garbage time says something…it’s also interesting that they actively recruited over him in the portal (tea even sounded like they seemed more invested in finding ways for an injured Dusan to stay than prevent Miranda from leaving)
Idk if we’ll ever know the full story but that matters less to me know than adding more depth at guard
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Jersey77 wrote: 11 months ago Please let's not compare Patrick Baldwin who was the #1 recruit in the nation to Isaiah Miranda.
Aside from Patrick's ability, his body was much more NBA ready than Miranda's.

But again, I am not an NBA scout, so who knows.
Patrick Baldwin played his way out of a top 5 pick. Shakedown Sharp would have been one of the top players the next year but didn’t play and was still a top 10 pick.

I don’t think Miranda is as good a prospect as either of those guys. I think a borderline 1st rounder who will get a second round draft position if he leaves now. Who knows where he goes if he plays and doesn’t live up to hype.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Withdrew from the draft.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

This kids plan is confusing. Seems like the NBA is the immediate goal, but clearly not going his way.
2 x
GO RAMS
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Visiting Oklahoma State, according to this website.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Billyboy78 wrote: 11 months ago Withdrew from the draft.

fine, we will do him a favor and take him as a preferred walk on
5 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ElmCityRhody wrote: 11 months ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 11 months ago Withdrew from the draft.

fine, we will do him a favor and take him as a preferred walk on
Buckle up!
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

SGreenwell wrote: 11 months ago Visiting Oklahoma State, according to this website.
And he committed to them this morning

0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

I wonder where he goes from here ?

Moves down a level ? Heads back to try to find a place to play closer to home ?

Joins his RI buddy Sebastian Thomas at Albany ?
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Should have stayed home and come to Kingston
4 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!