Best Rhody Team of All time???

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ngriff
Abdul Fox

Best Rhody Team of All time???

Unread post by ngriff »

Didnt see a thread for this so I thought I would make one, so who does everyone think is the best rhody team of all time and why? Its a tough one IMO and I do not even really have a clear team I think is the best rhody team in history.
0 x
Roz
ARD

Re: Best Rhody Team of All time???

Unread post by Roz »

1998 elite 8 team
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

The 2020/21 team right after they beat Seton Hall.
2 x
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

Starting 5 1988. Even tho Kenny green was the 6th man the starting 5 was very tough.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Roz wrote: 3 years ago1998 elite 8 team
Imagine if Lamar was eligible...
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

In my lifetime? Top 5

1997-1998'
2016-2017'
2017-2018'
1992-1993'
2008-2009' OR 1998-1999'
1 x
GO RAMS
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago In my lifetime? Top 5

1997-1998'
2016-2017'
2017-2018'
1992-1993'
2008-2009' OR 1998-1999'
Why do you think the 08/09 team was the best out of the three Baron collapse teams?

Not sure I can pick which one was the better of the three because they're so alike.

The NIT run in 2010 was fun.

Also, it's odd to me no one ever talks about the 92/93 team or that era.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago

1997-1998'
2016-2017'
2017-2018'
1992-1993'
2008-2009' OR 1998-1999'
Why do you think the 08/09 team was the best out of the three Baron collapse teams?

Not sure I can pick which one was the better of the three because they're so alike.

Shhh, we lost to UNC by 45. It's best left alone.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Top - 97 98- Hard to beat Mobley, Wheeler, ARD, Clay, PM, King
2nd - 87-88- Silk, Garrick, Green, Evans, Sina all very solid
Next 77-78 - Always enjoyed Jiggy, Stan, and Sly, also Nelson, Chatman, and freshman Jimmy Wright.
Last edited by Jersey77 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Think 98 by a hair over 88
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I'm going to say 88 and 98 is a draw. 88 was an 11 seed and beat a #6 and a #3 and lost to a #2. 98 was an 8 seed and beat a #9, a #1 and a #13 and lost to a #2. But there is something to say about that 46 team who lost in the finals to Kentucky.
Last edited by theblueram 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago

1997-1998'
2016-2017'
2017-2018'
1992-1993'
2008-2009' OR 1998-1999'

But that Purdue win was nice right? 😅

I know I have ignored the existence of our Duke beatdown in 18...

I seriously can't understand how we couldn't get any good bigs to transfer to our team in 2018.

That and if we could have played anyone other than Duke we may not have embarrassed ourselves.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago

But that Purdue win was nice right? 😅

I know I have ignored the existence of our Duke beatdown in 18...

I seriously can't understand how we couldn't get any good bigs to transfer to our team in 2018.

That and if we could have played anyone other than Duke we may not have embarrassed ourselves.
The Purdue win was great! I was a senior in 93. My fraternity went to many games together that year. It was one of the best years of my life for sure.
3 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I too am going 98 over 88 by a hair. Two NBA draft picks in the back court, former McD’s AA in front court, great role guys in ARD and King and a super sub in Preston.

I also liked that 92-93 team bc they were moreso overachievers. Likable team with Cofield, Fox, Samuel, Ivey Jones. Guys that were overlooked or somewhat positionless that Al got to play cohesively. Was down in Winston Salem for that one, painted my face blue for UNC game, washed it off at halftime when we were down by 857 points.

Was only a tot for the 78 team so no opinion on them but they had Sly who is probably our greatest player ever so there’s that.
1 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I’m going with 88 for geo-political reasons.
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

That 2007-2008 was very talented. Ridiculous that they didn’t make the tournament. They had 7 high quality division one players on that team.
1 x
Falcon
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Falcon »

The 88 team , after upsetting Missouri and their all everything Dererk Chevious and mighty Syracuse with their 2 or 3 future NBA players , they lost to Duke by I believe 3 in the Meadowlands . This all happening with Duke's 6th man , the refs , calling 3 QUICK fouls on Tom Garrick and us being down by 18 in the first half as I recall ? Didn't The Dukees win it ALL THAT YEAR ? Penders goes to TEXAS and becomes a millionaire because Dr. Ted Eddy would not increase his salary from $ 38,000. to $ 80,000. You can't make this s__t up. !!!

Make that 1988 loss by 1 to Duke, 73 to 72 iij
2 x
Wagssr
Jim Eitner

Unread post by Wagssr »

I don't know if they were the best team of all time, but the 77-78 team was the best chance for the final four. If I recall correctly, there were only 32 teams in the tournament at the time and I can still recall missing a layup as the game ended in the opening loss to Duke. The next round was in Boston and we would have been one of the favorites. We were the best team in the east according to the now defunct Eastern Basketball magazine.
3 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I mean, the 97-98 team had a lead with a minute to go in the Elite Eight, I'm not sure how you get a better chance for the Final Four than that
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ngriff
Abdul Fox

Unread post by ngriff »

I would take the 2016-2017 team as definitely a top 5 team. Lost by 3 to an Oregon team that went to the final 4. Not to mention that Oregon team lost by 1 to the eventually national champs (UNC) in the final 4. Not to mention Oregon ended the game on a 7-0 run. Not to mention Hassan Martin's injury struggles. Not to mention the Dorsey kid went 9/10 from the field with 27. Get the point now? That 2016-2017 had an 8 man rotation of Iverson, Dowtin, Hass, Terell, EC, Stan, Garrett and Cyril. This team simply oozed with talent.
3 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago Top - 97 98- Hard to beat Mobley, Wheeler, ARD, Clay, PM, King
Next 77-78 - Always enjoyed Jiggy and Stan, also Nelson, Chatman, and freshman Jimmy Wright.
87-88 would beat 97-98. Silk and Tommy would lock down Tyson and Cat. Don't get me wrong the 97-98 team was fantastic but 87-88 was that much better. Kenny would also get Luther and ARD in foul trouble.
1 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhodyhooopz wrote: 3 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago Top - 97 98- Hard to beat Mobley, Wheeler, ARD, Clay, PM, King
Next 77-78 - Always enjoyed Jiggy and Stan, also Nelson, Chatman, and freshman Jimmy Wright.
87-88 would beat 97-98. Silk and Tommy would lock down Tyson and Cat. Don't get me wrong the 97-98 team was fantastic but 87-88 was that much better. Kenny would also get Luther and ARD in foul trouble.
Can probably make a case for all these teams, including 16-17 in the discussion.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The best URI teams ever, relative to the rest of the NCAA at the time, would likely have been back under Keaney in the 1930's and 1940's when URI dominated most opponents. The culmination of this era was when Rhody played Kentucky in the 1945 NIT for what was then essentially the national championship.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

You forgot some guy named Sly on the '78 team. I'd love to pick that team because it was my time there. If that Nelson shot went in instead of rolling around the rim, we beat Duke and go to the sweet 16 (the field was only 32 then). I think this team had the best chance to win a national championship because it had the greatest player to ever wear a RI uniform in #35. But as far as talent goes, I have to pick '88. Comparing them to the '98 team, Silk and Tyson were so close. Tommy and Cat were close. And as good as ARD was, Kenny Green was a monster. That trio of Silk, Tommy and Kenny G puts them at the top. imo.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago
Next 77-78 - Always enjoyed Jiggy ,Stan, and Sly, also Nelson, Chatman, and freshman Jimmy Wright.
You forgot some guy named Sly on the '78 team. I'd love to pick that team because it was my time there. If that Nelson shot went in instead of rolling around the rim, we beat Duke and go to the sweet 16 (the field was only 32 then). I think this team had the best chance to win a national championship because it had the greatest player to ever wear a RI uniform in #35. But as far as talent goes, I have to pick '88. Comparing them to the '98 team, Silk and Tyson were so close. Tommy and Cat were close. And as good as ARD was, Kenny Green was a monster. That trio of Silk, Tommy and Kenny G puts them at the top. imo.
Yes brain fart, must of had a senior moment forgetting Sly an all-time Rhody great.
Added, thanks.
0 x
Spook
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Spook »

0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Sly was arguably the best all round player to play in Kingston and I’m including Lamar.
2 x
Slava Ukraini!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody74 wrote: 3 years ago Sly was arguably the best all round player to play in Kingston and I’m including Lamar.
Agree about Sly, we only had a very small size of Lamar
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody74 wrote: 3 years ago Sly was arguably the best all round player to play in Kingston and I’m including Lamar.
I don't think it's even a debate. Sly was a better college player than Lamar. He's the best to ever wear a Rhody uniform. I can't speak about players before 1965 or so, but I think it's a safe assumption.
1 x
Spook
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Spook »

It’s not Sly was definitely better. An absolute monster college player. Also, Stan Wright was last man cut by Celtics after he graduated ( in favor of Jeff Judkins which was a complete joke. Their explanation was Judkins adjusted so well to Stans exceptional defense they thought they should keep him 🙄). In my opinion that team had 2 NBA players on it. Biggest weakness was cold shooting would go through the team like a disease and cost them occasionally.

As much as I love all those other teams and the fantastic all-time greats they had plus the difficulty of comparing different eras, (compounded by the 3 pt shot), I always believe 78 would physically overwhelm them.
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

I’d pick ‘98 over ‘78, but not by much.

In the ‘78 NCAA, we played Duke in Charlotte, so it was essentially a road game for us. Duke had at least three NBA players — Mike Gminski, Gene Banks and Jim Spanarkel (yes, that one). We had Sly and some good, experienced players but not nearly Duke’s level of talent. What we did have was Jack Kraft and his quirky matchup zone that, along with Sly’s 27 and 10, gave us a chance to win — if only we could have put home one of three last-gasp putbacks.

And what might have been: had we won that game, the next two rounds would have been in Providence.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 3 years ago I’d pick ‘98 over ‘78, but not by much.

In the ‘78 NCAA, we played Duke in Charlotte, so it was essentially a road game for us. Duke had at least three NBA players — Mike Gminski, Gene Banks and Jim Spanarkel (yes, that one). We had Sly and some good, experienced players but not nearly Duke’s level of talent. What we did have was Jack Kraft and his quirky matchup zone that, along with Sly’s 27 and 10, gave us a chance to win — if only we could have put home one of three last-gasp putbacks.

And what might have been: had we won that game, the next two rounds would have been in Providence.
I’ll never forget that game. It was the day after our first child was born and my wife graciously gave me permission to watch the game. If it weren’t for the joy of my baby daughter it would have been a miserable weekend.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Spook wrote: 3 years ago It’s not Sly was definitely better. An absolute monster college player. Also, Stan Wright was last man cut by Celtics after he graduated ( in favor of Jeff Judkins which was a complete joke. Their explanation was Judkins adjusted so well to Stans exceptional defense they thought they should keep him 🙄). In my opinion that team had 2 NBA players on it. Biggest weakness was cold shooting would go through the team like a disease and cost them occasionally.

As much as I love all those other teams and the fantastic all-time greats they had plus the difficulty of comparing different eras, (compounded by the 3 pt shot), I always believe 78 would physically overwhelm them.
I agree about the physical part. Jiggy was a very physical guard and would have given both Silk and Tyson a lot of problems.
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Really tough decision for the Senior Citizen. All the “8” teams were outstanding. If I had to pick one it would be the 87-88. Seven home games at Keaney three at the cc. All of the remaining 25 games were either on the road or neutral sites. 14 and three on the road. That year we beat gw on the road by 31. Best bounce pass, three quarter court by silk to tommy was the best one I’ve ever seen. Kenny Green went 11 for 11 from the
3 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Continued - from the floor which is still a ram record.
Favorite team was 91-92, Nit, fun to watch with the deepest ram team of all time. Go rhody!
1 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

neil wrote: 3 years ago Really tough decision for the Senior Citizen. All the “8” teams were outstanding. If I had to pick one it would be the 87-88. Seven home games at Keaney three at the cc. All of the remaining 25 games were either on the road or neutral sites. 14 and three on the road. That year we beat gw on the road by 31. Best bounce pass, three quarter court by silk to tommy was the best one I’ve ever seen. Kenny Green went 11 for 11 from the
Neil that bounce pass was amazing.
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

1998 Great eight team easily
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

I'm hoping it's a future team. We need to win this thing before I die.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Right now, you would think URI winning a national championship is impossible. But that 98' team was 3 wins away!
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago Right now, you would think URI winning a national championship is impossible. But that 98' team was 3 wins away!
Arthur Lee is a punk.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

DeanDome88 wrote: 3 years ago I'm hoping it's a future team. We need to win this thing before I die.
Let’s get to a final 4 then we can all die in piece !!
1 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

I agree with the several teams under debate for best ever, but in terms of talent 2007-08 was one of the deepest/most talented. Over half these guys had lengthy pro careers, and didn't get to sniff the Tournament. ::sigh::

Roster

Glossary
Player # Class Pos Height Weight Hometown RSCI Top 100 Summary
Will Daniels 25 SR F 6-8 225 Hyde Park, NY 18.6 Pts, 6.5 Reb, 1.1 Ast
Jimmy Baron 20 JR G 6-3 195 East Greenwich, RI 14.2 Pts, 2.1 Reb, 1.9 Ast
Parfait Bitee 14 SR G 6-2 190 11.8 Pts, 2.5 Reb, 4.7 Ast
Kahiem Seawright 33 JR F 6-8 235 Uniondale, NY 9.2 Pts, 8.4 Reb, 2.1 Ast
Keith Cothran 22 SO G 6-4 195 New Haven, CT 7.3 Pts, 2.2 Reb, 1.9 Ast
Lamonte Ulmer 15 SO F 6-6 215 New Haven, CT 7.3 Pts, 4.9 Reb, 1.0 Ast
Joe Mbang 1 SR C 6-7 235 6.3 Pts, 4.1 Reb, 0.3 Ast
Jason Francis 54 JR F 6-9 280 2.6 Pts, 2.0 Reb, 0.3 Ast
Delroy James 21 SO F 6-8 220 Brooklyn, NY 3.3 Pts, 2.4 Reb, 0.2 Ast
Marquis Jones 5 FR G 6-1 200 South Plainfield, NJ 1.7 Pts, 1.1 Reb, 1.7 Ast
Hakim McCullar 23 FR F 6-8 250 Cincinnati, OH 0.3 Pts, 0.6 Reb, 0.0 Ast
Will Martell 32 FR C 7-0 245 Fair Haven, NJ 0.2 Pts, 0.5 Reb, 0.0 Ast
Olawale Alesh 10 FR 170 Providence, RI 0.0 Pts, 1.0 Reb, 0.0 Ast
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah that was definitely a talented team definenly underperformed
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

rhodyruckus wrote: 3 years ago I agree with the several teams under debate for best ever, but in terms of talent 2007-08 was one of the deepest/most talented. Over half these guys had lengthy pro careers, and didn't get to sniff the Tournament. ::sigh::

Roster

Glossary
Player # Class Pos Height Weight Hometown RSCI Top 100 Summary
Will Daniels 25 SR F 6-8 225 Hyde Park, NY 18.6 Pts, 6.5 Reb, 1.1 Ast
Jimmy Baron 20 JR G 6-3 195 East Greenwich, RI 14.2 Pts, 2.1 Reb, 1.9 Ast
Parfait Bitee 14 SR G 6-2 190 11.8 Pts, 2.5 Reb, 4.7 Ast
Kahiem Seawright 33 JR F 6-8 235 Uniondale, NY 9.2 Pts, 8.4 Reb, 2.1 Ast
Keith Cothran 22 SO G 6-4 195 New Haven, CT 7.3 Pts, 2.2 Reb, 1.9 Ast
Lamonte Ulmer 15 SO F 6-6 215 New Haven, CT 7.3 Pts, 4.9 Reb, 1.0 Ast
Joe Mbang 1 SR C 6-7 235 6.3 Pts, 4.1 Reb, 0.3 Ast
Jason Francis 54 JR F 6-9 280 2.6 Pts, 2.0 Reb, 0.3 Ast
Delroy James 21 SO F 6-8 220 Brooklyn, NY 3.3 Pts, 2.4 Reb, 0.2 Ast
Marquis Jones 5 FR G 6-1 200 South Plainfield, NJ 1.7 Pts, 1.1 Reb, 1.7 Ast
Hakim McCullar 23 FR F 6-8 250 Cincinnati, OH 0.3 Pts, 0.6 Reb, 0.0 Ast
Will Martell 32 FR C 7-0 245 Fair Haven, NJ 0.2 Pts, 0.5 Reb, 0.0 Ast
Olawale Alesh 10 FR 170 Providence, RI 0.0 Pts, 1.0 Reb, 0.0 Ast
Will Daniels and Jimmy Baron on the same team deserved so much more. Seawright was a monster. Ugh.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

The '08 team was very talented, carrying on the 'every 10 years' tradition of the '8' teams, but unlike all of the others, they underachieved. See if you can pick out the problem...

1978: Jack Kraft
1988: Tom Penders
1998: Jim Harrick
2008: Jim Baron
2018: Dan Hurley
3 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 3 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago Right now, you would think URI winning a national championship is impossible. But that 98' team was 3 wins away!
Arthur Lee is a punk.
23 years later and Mobley was still being purposely fouled to stop the clock - everyone in the arena and watching on tv knew it. That is, everyone except the officials who decided to not call it. To add to it, they called a foul on ARD during the resulting dunk which was not a foul (or it was certainly less of a foul that they did NOT call when Mobley was getting hacked to cause the turnover leading to said dunk & and 1).
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago The '08 team was very talented, carrying on the 'every 10 years' tradition of the '8' teams, but unlike all of the others, they underachieved. See if you can pick out the problem...

I sometimes think whether you take both Jim Baron and Jimmy Baron off the team in exchange for an incrementally better coach, would it be a tournament team. Assuming everything is the same, which of course Baron recruited the rest of the team in place at that time. I tend to think maybe Bitee and Daniels make up for at least some of the shooting, I mean Bitee shot 51% from 3-point range that year he needed to be more selfish! On the other hand you're not winning at Syracuse without Jimmy no matter if there is a coaching upgrade. So the end of the year may go better, but that signature win goes away...
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago The '08 team was very talented, carrying on the 'every 10 years' tradition of the '8' teams, but unlike all of the others, they underachieved. See if you can pick out the problem...

One of these things is not like the other things
One of these things just doesn't belong ...
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Who will be the head man in 2028 ???
0 x