URI's next President

Off-Topic News, Music, TV, Movies, Tech, etc.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

URI's next President

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

The search committee is down to two finalists to replace President Dooley. There will be meet the candidate sessions on Monday and Tuesday from 5:30 to 7. As of now that is all the information available, but I guess it's time to have a dedicated thread now that more information will start to come out
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: URI's next President

Unread post by ramster »

RR2,
Haven't we in the past known who the candidates were? When CCRI replaced their President a few years ago we knew who the candidates from early on, including the narrowed down group.
Is this unusual to now know at all?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 3 years ago RR2,
Haven't we in the past known who the candidates were? When CCRI replaced their President a few years ago we knew who the candidates from early on, including the narrowed down group.
I think we'll at least know the final two before the weekend. I imagine a lot of candidates won't want their current employers to know they're looking, so I'm not sure if we'll know candidates other than the final two
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago
ramster wrote: 3 years ago RR2,
I think we'll at least know the final two before the weekend. I imagine a lot of candidates won't want their current employers to know they're looking, so I'm not sure if we'll know candidates other than the final two
Yeah - I can't remember the last URI search, but at least for my current workplace (University of Houston), for major positions like deans they typically identify the top two, top three. There are pros and cons to having an open search vs. a closed search. Open, you might be able to see how a candidate deals with public pressure if you hold an open forum, and it gives time for reporters and other investigators to poke into their background, but because candidates know they're dealing with that process, you don't get as many applicants.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Today's candidate is M. Brian Blake, the Provost and Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs at George Washington

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M._Brian_Blake

https://www.ece.seas.gwu.edu/m-brian-blake
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago Today's candidate is M. Brian Blake, the Provost and Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs at George Washington

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M._Brian_Blake

https://www.ece.seas.gwu.edu/m-brian-blake
Now I’m feeling old. This guy was born when I was attending URI. Impressive resume!
2 x
Slava Ukraini!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Impressive resume, but I'm not a fan of all of his experience coming at private universities. I would like to see at least some public experience, preferably at a state flagship
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Yeah I'm kinda scratching my head on this one. Never led a research University nor a state flagship. That wiki page isn't that flattering considering he received $10 mill in funding. I mean $10 mill is a drop in the bucket to URI.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago Impressive resume, but I'm not a fan of all of his experience coming at private universities. I would like to see at least some public experience, preferably at a state flagship
When is the next interview RR2? Do you have info on the 2nd candidate yet?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

M. Brian Blake is tonight from 5:30 to 7. The second finalist should be announced shortly
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

The other finalist is Marc Parlange, the Provost and Senior Vice-President of Monash University in Melbourne, Australia. He was born in Providence.

https://research.monash.edu/en/persons/marc-parlange
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Umm, ok? sheesh.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

They better love basketball that's all I have to say. Do they know how to write a grant? Are they open to a pub on campus?
2 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

At least Blake has been at Division 1 schools. Parlange’s school in Australia fills its basketball rosters through on campus tryouts. However I’m confident that Tom Ryan will make sure our next president will be supportive of the program.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago They better love basketball that's all I have to say. Do they know how to write a grant? Are they open to a pub on campus?
I’m pretty positive a pub on campus couldn’t be lower on a presidents to do list.
3 x
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago
theblueram wrote: 3 years ago They better love basketball that's all I have to say. Do they know how to write a grant? Are they open to a pub on campus?
I’m pretty positive a pub on campus couldn’t be lower on a presidents to do list.
I bet Dooley thought beers at the Ryan Center was low on his list as well.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I think some people are viewing this as the new President of the URI Social Club and not the new President of the University of Rhode Island. Yes, athletics are important because of their visibility, but they aren't the most important priority for a serious president. We just need a president that understands they're important, knows there needs to be a certain level of investment, and can make the right high level decisions. One of those high level decisions is having the right AD and getting the hell out of the way for the most part
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I think some people are viewing this as the new President of the URI Social Club and not the new President of the University of Rhode Island. Yes, athletics are important because of their visibility, but they aren't the most important priority for a serious president. We just need a president that understands they're important, knows there needs to be a certain level of investment, and can make the right high level decisions. One of those high level decisions is having the right AD and getting the hell out of the way for the most part
We shall see. Dooley was hired because of his track record of getting grants. He did that and built a great infrastructure. What exactly is the mission of the next President? I would like to know that.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago

We shall see. Dooley was hired because of his track record of getting grants. He did that and built a great infrastructure. What exactly is the mission of the next President? I would like to know that.
Ok, so this is a fair point/criticism of the search process. Hopefully with whoever is announced the mission and rationale for the choice will also be articulated. Frankly I've found this whole process disappointing so far in the lack of communication to the community
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

https://www.gwhatchet.com/2021/03/30/bl ... president/

The George Washington University's student paper's take on Blake being a finalist
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

If I was interviewing the candidates, these would be my only 3 questions. :D
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

I'm not a betting woman, but my money is on Blake. No offense to the Aussie, but I can't see it working here.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

My money is on Blake as well. I like that both candidates have Engineering backgrounds. I wonder to what extent the beautiful new Engineering building drove interest from these two candidates? and to what extent Dr Dooley promoted the new Engineering complex and the Research focus that he has given to URI?

Dr Dooley certainly has big shoes to fill. What an outstanding President he has been!!
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Article about the interviews with both candidates in the Cigar

https://rhodycigar.com
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Unread post by Brian Forster »

The idea of the Aussie pres. is crazy. If athletics aren't important,just take all the schollies,put it into the student financial aid pool and then draw say 12 hoops players per game from the student body.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Brian Forster wrote: 3 years ago The idea of the Aussie pres. is crazy. If athletics aren't important,just take all the schollies,put it into the student financial aid pool and then draw say 12 hoops players per game from the student body.
Their basketball IQ couldn't be any worse than that of our scholarship players.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

Looks like Dr. Blake pulled out....

Put another shrimp on the Barbie?
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

LIRAM wrote: 3 years ago Looks like Dr. Blake pulled out....

Put another shrimp on the Barbie?
He probably heard the other guy was the choice and pulled out to save face.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Brian Forster
ARD

Got a bad feeling about this. Hope I am wrong.
There has to be a Ron Machtley type out there somewhere ??
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I was hoping for Blake but I have faith Tom Ryan et al will make the right choice. Let’s hope he’s a basketball fan too.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Brian Forster
ARD

Hiring a president outside of the US collegiate system with no D1 experience ??
For a program that has massive needs.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Marc Parlange

Unread post by RF1 »

Family Bio:
Parlange was born in Providence, RI in 1962 to Jean-Yves and Eileen (Hurley) Parlange. His father has a doctorate from Brown and is currently a Biology and Environmental Engineering professor emeritus at Cornell. His aunt died in 2020 after having lived in Providence for over 50 years working at Fleet Bank. He met his wife Mary Lu Knapp at Cornell. They have two sons - Brendan and Luc. The family is very international with many members having been born outside the USA.

Found this bit about him

A runner and sports fan at heart

Perhaps the secret to his success as a researcher and leader, Marc credits many of his best connections, and many of his best ideas, to time spent devoted to running. “I’ve made a lot of my best friends through running, and I met my wife at the running club at Cornell,” he says. “You let your mind wander when you’re out there. If you’re doing computing and you’re stumped with a difficult problem, it helps to clear the mind and allows the answer to come.”

Marc’s also wasted no time in jumping straight back on the Aussie sports bandwagon since his return. “I’m a big Melbourne Rebels fan, we’ve been going to all the games,” he says, a clear rugby diehard. A mention of Australian Rules football provokes a confident, yet highly ambitious declaration that history is likely to disprove. “I’m a St Kilda supporter, and this year, we’ll be staging a comeback,“ he says with a steely look, despite the team’s 2019 fourteenth place finish. “You’ve heard it here first!”

https://www.monash.edu/engineering/abou ... logy-medal
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Admitting up front that I know next to nothing about both finalists, can’t help but feel like this is a major L for all of us that care about athletics. Even if Parlange likes “sports” (rugby and running could maybe qualify, I guess), the complete lack of experience with major American college sports puts us at an enormous disadvantage.

As an alumni who cares about the school beyond just athletics, I’m hopeful that he does a brilliant job continuing the progress that started under Dooley. But if I’m being honest, as a sports fan I’m pretty disappointed.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote: 3 years ago Admitting up front that I know next to nothing about both finalists, can’t help but feel like this is a major L for all of us that care about athletics. Even if Parlange likes “sports” (rugby and running could maybe qualify, I guess), the complete lack of experience with major American college sports puts us at an enormous disadvantage.

As an alumni who cares about the school beyond just athletics, I’m hopeful that he does a brilliant job continuing the progress that started under Dooley. But if I’m being honest, as a sports fan I’m pretty disappointed.
How do you think Dooley has been with athletics? I think he's been ok. He certainly didn't lead to transformational changes, but I don't think he's been a negative and I think all things considered he's gotten the most out of that area that funds would allow. I bring this up, because his resume wasn't exactly inspiring from an athletics point of view.

"Prior to joining the University of Rhode Island, Dr. Dooley was provost and vice president for Academic Affairs at Montana State, Bozeman, Mont., for 10 years, having served for seven years earlier as head of the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry. Dr. Dooley earned a B.A. in Chemistry from the University of California in San Diego and a Ph.D. in Chemistry from California Institute of Technology in Pasadena."
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Welcome President Parlange! May you develop a love for college basketball.

Check out this article from The Providence Journal:

URI picks RI native and Australian university provost as next president

https://www.providencejournal.com/story ... 187521002/
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Luc Longley next head coach, you heard it here first.
2 x
Brian Forster
ARD

How do you think Dooley has been with athletics? I think he's been ok

Athletics/facilities got better with Dooley as Pres.. It improved with Carothers from Eddy (couldn't get much worse).
But the outdoor track and field facility being condemned and them not being able to do anything about it is pretty weak.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote: 3 years ago Luc Longley next head coach, you heard it here first.
:lol: :o
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: Marc Parlange

Unread post by reef »

RF1 wrote: 3 years ago Family Bio:
Parlange was born in Providence, RI in 1962 to Jean-Yves and Eileen (Hurley) Parlange. His father has a doctorate from Brown and is currently a Biology and Environmental Engineering professor emeritus at Cornell. His aunt died in 2020 after having lived in Providence for over 50 years working at Fleet Bank. He met his wife Mary Lu Knapp at Cornell. They have two sons - Brendan and Luc. The family is very international with many members having been born outside the USA.

Found this bit about him

A runner and sports fan at heart

Perhaps the secret to his success as a researcher and leader, Marc credits many of his best connections, and many of his best ideas, to time spent devoted to running. “I’ve made a lot of my best friends through running, and I met my wife at the running club at Cornell,” he says. “You let your mind wander when you’re out there. If you’re doing computing and you’re stumped with a difficult problem, it helps to clear the mind and allows the answer to come.”

Marc’s also wasted no time in jumping straight back on the Aussie sports bandwagon since his return. “I’m a big Melbourne Rebels fan, we’ve been going to all the games,” he says, a clear rugby diehard. A mention of Australian Rules football provokes a confident, yet highly ambitious declaration that history is likely to disprove. “I’m a St Kilda supporter, and this year, we’ll be staging a comeback,“ he says with a steely look, despite the team’s 2019 fourteenth place finish. “You’ve heard it here first!”

https://www.monash.edu/engineering/abou ... logy-medal
His mother’s maiden name is Hurley that could be the sign of something special ??

So he was born in RI in 62 did he grow up here or somewhere else in USA and then move overseas after college ??
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Let's hope he's not a fan of:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hopoate
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Glad he likes basketball. 0/2 on his Twitter tagging there.
4 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Do you think he reads the board? Lol
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Make URI hoops a priority baby !!
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

...and I do like @BasketballUri lolol
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

He will quickly understand how important hoops is to URI. The foundation will be the first to show the direct correlation between increases in fundraising and basketball success. He doesn't need to know much about D1 athletics himself, just needs to put his trust in the right people.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

TruePoint wrote: 3 years ago Do you think he reads the board? Lol
Haha! :lol: :lol:

Someone probably told him... yeah head over to KB.com, that's where you'll get all your next big ideas from.
0 x