2022 Capital Budget

Off-Topic News, Music, TV, Movies, Tech, etc.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

2022 Capital Budget

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Daniel McKee's first capital budget is out. Some highlights:

Ballentine Hall expansion: The Governor recommends $17.8 million in private funding in FY 2022-FY 2024 to renovate 13,600 sq. ft. of the existing space in Ballentine Hall and build a 7,200 sq. ft. addition onto the building. Together, the renovated and expanded space will provide the following program elements to the College of Business: Student Success Center, Business Analytics and AI Lab, Business Application Prototyping Lab, Advanced Trading Lab, Corporate Partner Stations, Executive-In-Residence, Student Lounge, and a renovated building lobby.

The combined health and counseling center is still on the table: The Governor recommends financing in the amount of $36.8 million from RI Health and Education Building Corporation (RIHEBC) bonds and from University funds for the construction of a combined health and counseling center at the University of Rhode Island Kingston Campus. This center will combine both physical health and psychological services in the same building. The collocation of these services would improve the ability of the University to offer coordinated care to students. The recommendation includes $29.0 million in RIHEBC bonds and $7.8 million in university funds in FY 2022 - FY 2025.

The Hope Commons expansion appears to be off with the improvement going to the dining distribution warehouse: Last year read "The Governor recommends $2.2 million in financing from university funds for the expansion of Hope Commons at the University of Rhode Island from FY 2020 – FY 2021. Expansion of apartment-style housing on campus has increased the need to provide alternatives to traditional meal plans. The purpose of this project is to update the dining room in Hope Commons and expand the ability to offer late-night on-campus food options." That language has now changed to "The Governor recommends $3.5 million in university funds financing from FY 2021 – FY 2025 for an enhancement of URI’s dining infrastructure. The original project called for an upgrade to the Hope Commons distribution center but has since expanded to include the full dining distribution infrastructure. The project would change the distribution center activities to function more as a commissary kitchen (active food preparation space) than a warehouse, as a third party has been contracted to perform warehousing duties."

The facilities services sector upgrade is still on. This will help not just the actual services, but the aesthetics, right across from two high traffic venues. The Governor recommends $12.8 million in financing from RI Health and Education Building Corporation (RIHEBC) bond proceeds from FY 2023 - FY 2026 to upgrade the campus Service Center at the University of Rhode Island. The Service Sector is home to Facilities Services, Capital Projects, Central Receiving, Postal Services, Lands & Grounds, storage, vehicle service, and other offices. The upgrade project is intended to provide more efficient, effective operations, and involves the completion of the Facilities Service Sector Master Plan.

The Memorial Union renovation is still on: The Governor recommends a total of $63.7 million in financing, including $52.7 million in RI Health and Education Building Corporation (RIHEBC) bond proceeds and $11.0 million in university funds, for the renovation of Memorial Union at the University of Rhode Island from FY 2022 - FY 2026. The building, constructed in 1953, needs renovations to bring it to code and meet the needs of the current student body. The proposed project creates flexible space and improves the infrastructure of the building and includes a 9,000-square-foot addition.

The second phase of the Ranger Hall renovation has more than doubled since last year: The Governor recommends $8.6 million in financing from a combination of university funds and private funds from FY 2021 – FY 2023 for Phase 2 of renovations to Ranger Hall at the University of Rhode Island. These renovations include rehabilitation of the exterior of the building, handicap accessible entrance and elevator, heating system, plumbing system, and fire protection. Phase 1 has completed and involved the preparation of the building for these renovations. There's nothing in the description that gives away why it went from a $3.5 million project last year to $8.6 million this year.

Hidden in the repaving, hardscape, and landscape section is that two new roadway extensions from the master plan will be done: The Governor recommends $10.3 million in Rhode Island Health and Education Building Corporation (RIHEBC) bond financing from FY 2021 – FY 2023. This project represents the third phase of the University of Rhode Island’s work to repave and reconstruct parking facilities, roadways, and walkways across three of its four campuses. It also includes two new roadway extensions included in URI’s Master Plan. Not sure what those roadways are, if and when I have time I'll see if I can figure that one out.

The Upper College Road multiuse development project is still on the table: The Governor recommends $1.6 million total from university funds in FY 2022 and FY 2023 for the planning and design of a mixed-use commercial development on the east side of Upper College Road. The project entails the leasing of university property to private entities that will build and manage various facilities best suited to create a retail and residential “Main Street” destination, potentially including a hotel, apartments, restaurants, and shops.

And finally, the Soloviev Family Basketball Practice Facility is in the budget: The Governor recommends $7.9 million in private funding from FY 2021 – FY 2023 for renovations to West Gym at URI. These renovations will convert the facility to a Division I men’s and women’s basketball training facility. Renovations are slated to include a new entry, court, HVAC, and lighting.

Link to the budget is here: http://www.omb.ri.gov/documents/Prior%2 ... Budget.pdf

URI starts on page 43 of the PDF
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2022 Capital Budget

Unread post by RF1 »

Good to see the beautiful granite buildings such as Ranger and Ballentine on the quad are keeping up with the times. Would love to see something happen there with Carlotti. With the Fine Arts Center being resurfaced and a big renovation just approved, Carlotti then gets my vote as the ugliest building on Campus. It stands out in particular given its prominent location and being the only building that does not seem to fit the style and character of the other quad buildings.
Last edited by RF1 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

Sounds good. Hopefully, Kingston Emporium can be upgraded, I know it is not owned by the U.
Funny how Ballentine seems so small now. I think everyone should take some Business courses.
When I look back the Business professors had their feet on the ground, my economic professors were radicals who thought our economy should use the Yugoslavian model. Yes, Really Yugoslavia.
0 x
Maine66
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Maine66 »

Enjoyed your comments on the economics professors OBRAM. I was a Business Economics major when the Business School was in Independence Hall across from what is now the Alumni Center. Two of the professors Dr. Rayack and Dr. Derlim would probably be classified as radicals but they were outstanding teachers that provided me the solid background and later letters of recommendation that got me into the Wharton School. The most entertaining was the infamous Rocky Rockafellow who had a love affair with all things trains but also was a solid teacher. Really nice to see that URI has developed a really solid business school.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago The second phase of the Ranger Hall renovation has more than doubled since last year: The Governor recommends $8.6 million in financing from a combination of university funds and private funds from FY 2021 – FY 2023 for Phase 2 of renovations to Ranger Hall at the University of Rhode Island. These renovations include rehabilitation of the exterior of the building, handicap accessible entrance and elevator, heating system, plumbing system, and fire protection. Phase 1 has completed and involved the preparation of the building for these renovations. There's nothing in the description that gives away why it went from a $3.5 million project last year to $8.6 million this year.
I was on campus this week and there is fencing around much of Ranger Hall for work on that project
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

Is there ever mention of moving the Power Plant and Smoke Stack?
I was at UMass last week and they have a new Central Heating plant on the lower part of campus.

https://www.umass.edu/sustainability/cl ... ting-plant
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

The smoke stack is a major eyesore.
0 x
GO RAMS
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Agreed the smoke stack is an eyesore, especially with its placement so close to the quad. Apparently there was thought on at least putting university branding on it but was never done because of maintenance costs

https://web.uri.edu/planning/files/11.8 ... inutes.pdf
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

OBRAM wrote: 2 years ago Is there ever mention of moving the Power Plant and Smoke Stack?
I was at UMass last week and they have a new Central Heating plant on the lower part of campus.

https://www.umass.edu/sustainability/cl ... ting-plant
Nothing that I've seen or heard. I would imagine it would fit in well in the facility services sector that's being upgraded, but there is no mention of putting it there and the master plan from 2000 only addresses hiding the plant, nothing about the stack or moving the facility
0 x