2021 NCAA Tournament

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

2021 NCAA Tournament

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

UConn in as a 7 seed.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Re: 2021 NCAA Tournament

Alabama a 2 seed.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

4 years ago our team was better than theirs. Not now.
1 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

What a difference a coach makes.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

nm
Last edited by theblueram 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......looking forward to the games.......and enjoying watching the upsets.....Some version of Cinderella making an appearance.......not for these weeks focusing on our Coach.....plenty of time for that.....gonna miss going to the Dump for games for this Tourney......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Funny Hurley matched up with Turgeon

Also LSU v Bona Will Wade v A10 team

Also Hurley v Oats potentially love how the committee does this
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Xavier, St. Johns, Seton Hall, Louisville all passing on the NIT

I think the Bonnies should of got seeded better, tough draw.

SLU was close, last 4 out, the bid stealers took it away from them.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago Xavier, St. Johns, Seton Hall, Louisville all passing on the NIT

Par for the course. In 98 we were an 8 seed.
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago Xavier, St. Johns, Seton Hall, Louisville all passing on the NIT

Par for the course. In 98 we were an 8 seed.
If the Bonnies can beat LSU, Michigan is the weakest number one seed. If Livers can’t play, they could be vulnerable.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

reef wrote: 3 years ago Funny Hurley matched up with Turgeon

I can almost assure you the committee took nothing of that into account, especially the Hurley vs Oats narrative.
0 x
Go Rhody
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

The American needs to get over itself and schedule a challenge or whatever they call it with the A10. The top of each conference is solid, but both struggle getting teams in the tournament. The American likes to think it’s better than it is, but they were VERY close to being a one bid conference.
5 x
Ram96
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Ram96 »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago

I can almost assure you the committee took nothing of that into account, especially the Hurley vs Oats narrative.
Oats vs Pitino first round. Two coaches that I wish we hired three years ago and even more so now. It really sucks that we are watching the success these programs have had, and our team is sitting home.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Hurley knew what he was doing when he left here.

He knew it would be a constant struggle to get a bid in the A10. Especially with URI dragging their feet on program enhancements.

I also think he knew that UConn was going to join the BE soon after he moved to the AAC.

The AAC is very similar to the A10, they are going to struggle to get bids.

We were never going to get Oats. From Buffalo to URI is barely an upgrade.

He had higher ambitions.

But boy, I would have loved to have got him!
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I still think SLU should have been in. But here we go!
0 x
GO RAMS
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

The committee doesn't care about coaching matchups. If you think they do, then you don't know how they do their job. There are so many Division One coaches intertwined with another it's almost guaranteed every year that there are conspiracy theories as to "this coach is playing that coach."

Just let it go. Seriously, you think in the committee room that they're thinking "oooh, let's put Will Wade's LSU team against St. Bonaventure because Will Wade used to coach in the A-10 years and years ago!!!"
2 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Hurley knew what he was doing when he left here.

He knew it would be a constant struggle to get a bid in the A10. Especially with URI dragging their feet on program enhancements.

I also think he knew that UConn was going to join the BE soon after he moved to the AAC.

We were never going to get Oats. From Buffalo to URI is barely an upgrade.

He had higher ambitions.

But boy, I would have loved to have got him!
Hurley had to have been told about the BE move in the works - once that happened I was “more ok” with losing him to UConn. American is not a better conference. UConn in the BE is regrettably a much better job than Rhody. UConn in the American? Not so much better.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Hurley could have kept going to the tournament here year after year. That just wasn’t his ambition. One of our greatest teams ever here was a 7 seed. He has this half-built UConn team as a 7 already, and they’re on the rise. He definitely knew what he was doing but i think it’s wrong to suggest he couldn’t have maintained the level he had established here. In my opinion, he would have. It’s just that what he can do at UConn ultimately will be a degree of magnitude bigger.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

TruePoint wrote: 3 years ago

Hurley could have kept going to the tournament here year after year. That just wasn’t his ambition. One of our greatest teams ever here was a 7 seed. He has this half-built UConn team as a 7 already, and they’re on the rise. He definitely knew what he was doing but i think it’s wrong to suggest he couldn’t have maintained the level he had established here. In my opinion, he would have. It’s just that what he can do at UConn ultimately will be a degree of magnitude bigger.

Oh yea, Hurley could (and probably would) have had us in the tourney on a consistent basis, but obviously will be able to do that at UConn with better teams and higher seeds.

VCU has been to 9 out of the last 10 tournaments, so the A10 is absolutely a place where a program can become a perennial tourney team.
0 x
Go Rhody
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

VCU and St Bona with very unfavorable match ups.

I can see them both getting their asses handed to them.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Definitely like Oregon to beat VCU and Bona got about as tough of an 8 seed out there in LSU , rather have seen them matched up with Mizzou or Oklahoma
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Weird, but nice, having an NCAA tourney with no Kentucky or Duke.

Either missing it is unusual, but both at the same time?
0 x
NC_Ram
Steve Chubin

Unread post by NC_Ram »

KevanBoyles wrote: 3 years ago 4 years ago our team was better than theirs. Not now.
Thought the exact same thing during the section show. One program moving forward and another in reverse.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

NC_Ram wrote: 3 years ago
KevanBoyles wrote: 3 years ago 4 years ago our team was better than theirs. Not now.
Thought the exact same thing during the section show. One program moving forward and another in reverse.
Yup, and it will continue next season.

Most all URI sports teams are on the improve, even including football it seems.

But not our flagship sport, the biggest revenue producer by far.
0 x
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

I didn’t see Pee Cee make it. I thought Cooley said in November he had a tournament team and needed to schedule accordingly.

Sorry to re-hash it but next year URI has got to put there foot down and say if they wanna play then it’s in Kingston. No more kissing there Ass. URI already has a pretty good out of conference schedule ( if teams don’t back out ) . Cox has shown he will play anyone, but with Pee Cee, URI should play hardball.
It’s Pee Cee that will continue to get the bad PR.
Come on Thor put your dam foot down!
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhodysk wrote: 3 years ago I didn’t see Pee Cee make it. I thought Cooley said in November he had a tournament team and needed to schedule accordingly.

Sorry to re-hash it but next year URI has got to put there foot down and say if they wanna play then it’s in Kingston. No more kissing there Ass. URI already has a pretty good out of conference schedule ( if teams don’t back out ) . Cox has shown he will play anyone, but with Pee Cee, URI should play hardball.
This is absolutely, unequivocally, the 100% wrong take.

It's a RIVALRY, we are going to have a weak OOC / MTE tournament because Cox will be looking for wins, and we are in no place to start making demands saying the game needs to be played in Kingston or nowhere.

They received bad PR this year, the game did not get played, and the last game was played at The Ryan Center.

Next year should (and will be) business as usual with a sold out Dunk.
2 x
Go Rhody
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago
Rhodysk wrote: 3 years ago I didn’t see Pee Cee make it. I thought Cooley said in November he had a tournament team and needed to schedule accordingly.

This is absolutely, unequivocally, the 100% wrong take.

It's a RIVALRY, we are going to have a weak OOC / MTE tournament because Cox will be looking for wins, and we are in no place to start making demands saying the game needs to be played in Kingston or nowhere.

They received bad PR this year, the game did not get played, and the last game was played at The Ryan Center.

Next year should (and will be) business as usual with a sold out Dunk.
haha I dont know what is going on in this world, but more and more I find myself agreeing with you Rhody15

to add to your post...even if Thor would put his foot down, we have no leverage...becasue we sucked this year both on the court and from the bench (lack of coaching). PC would tell us to kick rocks anyways, but if we had a decent year in the A10 and finished in the top 4, maybe a slim argument could be made...but again no leverage when the entire year is a dumpster fire
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

ace wrote: 3 years ago The American needs to get over itself and schedule a challenge or whatever they call it with the A10. The top of each conference is solid, but both struggle getting teams in the tournament. The American likes to think it’s better than it is, but they were VERY close to being a one bid conference.
I had this argument with an AAC school fan on twitter. Thought I was nuts until I presented the actual facts. His response was "the two leagues are much closer than I thought" - probably the one and only time I will ever convince anyone on the internet. I do wish that the A10 had invited Wichita St - A10 was clearly better before that, getting equal or better seeds. Now it's flopped.

I do think VCU and SBU are both under seeded and neither Syracuse or Maryland really belong over the first four out (though I don't know if SLU belongs either).
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steviep123
Sly Williams

Yup - people call the upsets in mid to low majors the bid stealers. I maintain that teams like Syracuse who play cupcakes and barely leave upstate NY in OOC, then struggle in the ACC, yet somehow manage to sneak their way in are the real bid stealers. They steal a bid from a much more deserving 2nd or 3rd team from a smaller conference.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Weird, but nice, having an NCAA tourney with no Kentucky or Duke.

It will have been YEARS since either was in the tournament.
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

RF1 wrote: 3 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Weird, but nice, having an NCAA tourney with no Kentucky or Duke.

It will have been YEARS since either was in the tournament.
Bilas said last night that the last time neither Duke nor Kentucky were in the tournament was 1976, which coincidentally was Indiana’s undefeated season. You feeling the vibe, Gonzaga?
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

Does anyone now how the alternates (first four out) are going to work if a team in the dance has to vacate due to COVID? How will the committee manage this? If for instance the Zags had to bow out, certainly Louisville can't be made a 1 seed. But if you make them a 12 seed then you have to shuffle the rest of the tournament. Anyone with insight on this?
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

RhodyRam86 wrote: 3 years ago Does anyone now how the alternates (first four out) are going to work if a team in the dance has to vacate due to COVID? How will the committee manage this? If for instance the Zags had to bow out, certainly Louisville can't be made a 1 seed. But if you make them a 12 seed then you have to shuffle the rest of the tournament. Anyone with insight on this?
They won't re-seed, the alternate slides into the seed of the vacating team. All of this is probably moot as the deadline is this evening. Past the deadline, teams out due to covid are considered a forfeit and their opponent advances.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Plus once they're in the their bubbles and been tested again, there shouldn't be any more issues.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Plus once they're in the their bubbles and been tested again, there shouldn't be any more issues.
Not necessarily. The virus has an incubation period of up to 14 days.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

RhodyKyle wrote: 3 years ago
RhodyRam86 wrote: 3 years ago Does anyone now how the alternates (first four out) are going to work if a team in the dance has to vacate due to COVID? How will the committee manage this? If for instance the Zags had to bow out, certainly Louisville can't be made a 1 seed. But if you make them a 12 seed then you have to shuffle the rest of the tournament. Anyone with insight on this?
They won't re-seed, the alternate slides into the seed of the vacating team. All of this is probably moot as the deadline is this evening. Past the deadline, teams out due to covid are considered a forfeit and their opponent advances.

So if Gonzaga got COVID before the deadline and couldn't participate, Louisville would be come a 1 seed? That's hard to believe.
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

RhodyRam86 wrote: 3 years ago

So if Gonzaga got COVID before the deadline and couldn't participate, Louisville would be come a 1 seed? That's hard to believe.
I heard the same as RhodyKyle. I think the tournament chairman told this to the ESPN crew in his interview on Sunday night. If a multiple bid league team has to withdraw, the first standby team goes into their slot, and so forth. If a one bid league team has to withdraw, they go to the next team in that league. Theoretically, Bryant could still get in. This will all play out in the next three hours. Field is locked in at 6:00.
You can’t reseed now. Teams have already started scouting opponents. Nothing has been fair in the last 12 months. In the grand scheme of things, it’s not that big a deal. At least we’re having a tournament this year.
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

JimSidd wrote: 3 years ago

I heard the same as RhodyKyle. I think the tournament chairman told this to the ESPN crew in his interview on Sunday night. If a multiple bid league team has to withdraw, the first standby team goes into their slot, and so forth. If a one bid league team has to withdraw, they go to the next team in that league. Theoretically, Bryant could still get in. This will all play out in the next three hours. Field is locked in at 6:00.
You can’t reseed now. Teams have already started scouting opponents. Nothing has been fair in the last 12 months. In the grand scheme of things, it’s not that big a deal. At least we’re having a tournament this year.
I've also heard it exactly as you've described Jim. And thought the same point about scouting so I guess this is the only way to do it, but almost makes me think you would rather be one of the first 4 out than to be a 12 seed or have to play in the first 4. You probably don't get to play at all, but you could get lucky, become a 2 seed and are only 1 difficult game from the Sweet 16. I know it's very unlikely, but would be interested in seeing something like this play out.

Anyway...just one more reason i'm glad my season tix were deferred.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

I've also heard it exactly as you've described Jim. And thought the same point about scouting so I guess this is the only way to do it, but almost makes me think you would rather be one of the first 4 out than to be a 12 seed or have to play in the first 4. You probably don't get to play at all, but you could get lucky, become a 2 seed and are only 1 difficult game from the Sweet 16. I know it's very unlikely, but would be interested in seeing something like this play out.

Umm, I think you'd rather be in than out when the teams were announced on Selection Sunday. I don't think there were a lot of teams hoping to be "alternates."
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

It's going to be weird this year. First four starts Thursday at 5 with 4 games (instead of 2 nights of 2 games) on truTV and TBS. First round Fri/Sat and 2nd round Sun/Mon. Sweet 16 a week from Sat/Sun and Elite 8 Mon 3/29 & Tues 3/28. The Final Four will be the following Sat. And thus begins my yearly quest to find truTV....

confirmed - truTV is indeed on YouTubeTV - the last time there was a tourney I had a different cable package.

NCAA Tourney Dates
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 3 years ago

Umm, I think you'd rather be in than out when the teams were announced on Selection Sunday. I don't think there were a lot of teams hoping to be "alternates."
I was being somewhat facetious. Of course you would rather be in than out. Just trying to point out what could have been an inequity with an alternate sliding into a top seed.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 3 years ago

I was being somewhat facetious. Of course you would rather be in than out. Just trying to point out what could have been an inequity with an alternate sliding into a top seed.
I originally felt that way but I think that changed when the NCAA came out and said as long as team could play with 5 players they could remain in the field. And then doubled-down on that Saturday night when the NCAA said all the COVID impacted teams would be eligible to play in the tournament as long as they had the mandatory negative tests by the start of the actual tournament and not the bracket. They made it so unlikely for an alternate team to possibly be selected that it didn't make a difference.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Gavin Keefe talks about Hurley's three-year plan at UConn (for those who are interested).
https://www.theday.com/podcasts-by-the- ... ames-begin
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I hear that we are the 75th alternate. Just in case, you know.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Looking forward to the Drake - Wich St game this evening. See how Darien DeVries does on the big stage.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I downloaded the March Madness app on my Roku and it's lagging big time. The audio is way ahead of the video.

Let me know if any of you have the same issues.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Drake not playing inspiring ball right now.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah rough performance for Drake I expected much much better
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Drake wins! Close game though.