Boston College Head Coach Search

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Boston College Head Coach Search

Unread post by ramster »

Mark Schmidt of St Bonaventure is considered a leading candidate for the BC HC Job.
In watching his post game interview of the Bonnies - Davidson Sunday matchup I was very impressed with Mark Schmidt. He spoke very intelligently and expertly following his team's victory. I thought he seems very much ready for a new position such as at Boston College and the ACC. I'd hate to see Schmidt leave the A10 but I think Boston College would be very wise to select Schmidt to take over the Jim Christian vacancy.

Other candidates who have been mentioned by various sources:

John Becker - HC Vermont
Scott Spinelli - Interim BC Coach (was assistant at BC)
Bill Coen - HC Northeastern
Joe Jones - HC Boston University
Dennis Gates - HC Cleveland State
Howard Eisley - Assistant Michigan
Pat Skerry - HC Towson
John Thompson III - former HC Georgetown
Rick Pitino - HC Iona
Bruce Pearl - Auburn
Jared Dudley - NBA
Mike Rhoades - HC VCU
Tommy Amaker - HC Harvard
Last edited by ramster 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: Boston College Head Coach Search

Unread post by reef »

Schmidt has been at SBU for 14 years and seems to love it there

Be interesting to see if he leaves to take a P5 job at his alma mater

I agree he should be at the top of their list
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Mark Schmidt should be the odds on favorite.
Ramster you may want to add Tommy Amaker to that list.
I would think John Becker, Bill Coen, and Howard Eisley would also be favorites, all good choices.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Why is Cox not on that list? Does BC not know talent like Rhody72 does??
7 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago Why is Cox not on that list? Does BC not know talent like Rhody72 does??
:lol: :lol:
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

I've also seen Ed Cooley, Kevin Willard, and Porter Moser mentioned, although I think those are all major long-shots.

John Beilein and Micah Shrewsberry may be in the mix as well.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Amaker should be on URI's short list.

I've said that many times.
3 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

reef wrote: 3 years ago Schmidt has been at SBU for 14 years and seems to love it there

In addition to Schmidt being an alumnus of BC, he is also a MA native having grown up in North Attleborough and graduating from Bishop Feehan High. His parents, now in their 80's, still live there.

The BC job is not the only position that Schmidt has been linked to as his name has been mentioned for Penn State as well. He was an assitatnt there under Bruce Parkhill for two years early in his career.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RF1 wrote: 3 years ago
reef wrote: 3 years ago Schmidt has been at SBU for 14 years and seems to love it there

In addition to Schmidt being an alumnus of BC, he is also a MA native having grown up in North Attleborough and graduating from Bishop Feehan High. His parents, now in their 80's, still live there.

The BC job is not the only position that Schmidt has been linked to as his name has been mentioned for Penn State as well. He was an assitatnt there under Bruce Parkhill for two years early in his career.
Yes, expecting some of the same names to pop up for both these coaching searches, Penn State and BC.
Fordham will have a much lower tier to choose from, nothing like stating the obvious. LOL
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Amaker should be on URI's short list.

He's rejected Wake Forest in the past, and IIRC, I think he loved the job because he had to worry less about recruiting, in a way, at Harvard. I think there's a strong chance he stays at Harvard for life, unless he's offered the Duke job or something equivalent to that.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SGreenwell wrote: 3 years ago

He's rejected Wake Forest in the past, and IIRC, I think he loved the job because he had to worry less about recruiting, in a way, at Harvard. I think there's a strong chance he stays at Harvard for life, unless he's offered the Duke job or something equivalent to that.
His wife is a member of the Faculty at Harvard Medical.
He has been the HC at Harvard since 2007.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 3 years ago

His wife is a member of the Faculty at Harvard Medical.
He has been the HC at Harvard since 2007.
Amaker also rejected BC back in 2014 when they were courting him and elected to stay at Harvard. Not sure if there is a change of heart or any interest from either of them.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I'll be jealous if they get Beilein.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago

Yes, expecting some of the same names to pop up for both these coaching searches, Penn State and BC.
Fordham will have a much lower tier to choose from, nothing like stating the obvious. LOL
I be never cared for the Fordham criticism much. Bad memories of Baron when the A10 didn’t even invite the bottom 2 teams to the A10 tournament and URI was one of them.

Now we are no longer with Dayton, VCU, St Louis, Richmond and St Bonaventure and now grouped with GW, Fordham, St Joseph’s and LaSalle. Didn’t take long.

5657D532-9647-4812-861D-BC406CBC057B.jpeg
5657D532-9647-4812-861D-BC406CBC057B.jpeg (41.15 KiB) Viewed 2506 times
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Amaker's wife is a clinical psychologist and Harvard Medical School professor. I have previously read that he has not pursued other positions because of her job.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Hearing that Schmidt and Shrewsberry are the two prime targets.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I be never cared for the Fordham criticism much. Bad memories of Baron when the A10 didn’t even invite the bottom 2 teams to the A10 tournament and URI was one of them.

Now we are no longer with Dayton, VCU, St Louis, Richmond and St Bonaventure and now grouped with GW, Fordham, St Joseph’s and LaSalle. Didn’t take long.

5657D532-9647-4812-861D-BC406CBC057B.jpeg
I just stated that BC and Penn State both P5 schools should have a better tier of candidates (including some of the same names) than Fordham, they also have the resources.

I don't know for sure, but would hope URI would be a more attractive landing spot than Fordham. We aren't currently looking so all this is purely speculation.

PS. I have defended Fordham on the A10 Outlook thread and agreed with your posts on those discussions. They always seem to be a tough out for us and I and have been to many games at Rose Hill.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

BC is not a very attractive basketball head coaching job. Basketball is a #3 sport at BC. Look at the recent history of head coaches, Not exactly your Whose-who list for a P5 school. BC would be fortunate if Schmidt took the job.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago BC is not a very attractive basketball head coaching job. Basketball is a #3 sport at BC. Look at the recent history of head coaches, Not exactly your Whose-who list for a P5 school. BC would be fortunate if Schmidt took the job.
The answer is almost always in the middle. Schmidt would crawl to BC right now if he was offered the job. Full stop. He interviewed the last time around and now BC is set to announce a huge facilities project. Not to mention he would probably double or triple his salary. He is from Mass and is a BC alum. He will never have a better opportunity. BC is a funny job. So many headwinds to success but they have the money to overcome many of them. It's still one of 15 ACC jobs. Hard to imagine they spend $40MM on a facility and cheap out on a hire. Schmidt would be a great fit, in my opinion, but he is probably the guy they choose if they don't get their first few choices. And it probably would end up working out pretty well.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago BC is not a very attractive basketball head coaching job. Basketball is a #3 sport at BC. Look at the recent history of head coaches, Not exactly your Whose-who list for a P5 school. BC would be fortunate if Schmidt took the job.
I actually agree with this take on all accounts.

They never should've left the Big East, and their leadership thinks that they are the absolute best thing ever and anyone coaching there should be fortunate to do so. They have held that attitude while never investing in the program properly. I am curious to see what them finally investing in their program will look like.

Agreed that BC would be incredibly fortunate to get Schmidt.

That guy can coach. More importantly he has recruited, developed, and retained talent in Olean, NY.

The fact that he has stayed there would tell me he has been waiting for the BC job all along.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago

They never should've left the Big East, and their leadership thinks that they are the absolute best thing ever and anyone coaching there should be fortunate to do so. They have held that attitude while never investing in the program properly. I am curious to see what them finally investing in their program will look like.

That guy can coach. More importantly he has recruited, developed, and retained talent in Olean, NY.

The fact that he has stayed there would tell me he has been waiting for the BC job all along.
Mark Schmidt may be in the enviable position of having some leverage.

The Bonnies, BC, and even Penn State may all end up in a bidding war for his services, of course depending on how the other candidates pan out.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago Look at the recent history of head coaches, Not exactly your Whose-who list for a P5 school. BC would be fortunate if Schmidt took the job.
Some of that is monetary based. You aren't going to attract many P5/P6 current or former coaches looking to go bargain bin shopping. If the rumors are true that they are looking to open up the wallets a little bit and are willing to pay someone $2 million - $2.5 million per season, they'll have a larger potential candidate base. The program investments will also help with the upgraded facilities. They are lining things up to present as being a potential attractive opening -- ACC, newer facilities, and large payday. That doesn't mean Brad Stevens or Porter Moser are going to line up to go to BC, but I think some eyes will think harder about it than they may have previously.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

BC could likely double Moser's current salary (he's making ~ $1.1MM). But yeah, I still think it's a long-shot.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

SmartyBarrett wrote: 3 years ago BC could likely double Moser's current salary (he's making ~ $1.1MM). But yeah, I still think it's a long-shot.
First I heard Porter Moser's name brought up. He has done good things at Loyola and I remember him at Creighton.

He is a Midwest/Chicago guy and spent his whole career in that part of the country. Not sure of his ties in the Northeast, probably some wishful thinking from the Boston media.

I can see him and Darian DeVries(from Drake who we had discussed) finish their career at some major school out there.
Last edited by Jersey77 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Blue man they are getting almost 26 million a year from the ACC. They would leave the BE every time for that. It's all about football and the Benjamin's.
1 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Porter was the chosen candidate for the SJU opening a few years ago, and turned down an 8 year, 18 million contract to stay with Loyola. If he'd turn down NYC, why would he have interest in Boston for the same type of money? I've seen it rumored that his goal is to stay in the midwest/near Chicago and he's content waiting for a program like DePaul to open up.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago Porter was the chosen candidate for the SJU opening a few years ago, and turned down an 8 year, 18 million contract to stay with Loyola. If he'd turn down NYC, why would he have interest in Boston for the same type of money? I've seen it rumored that his goal is to stay in the midwest/near Chicago and he's content waiting for a program like DePaul to open up.
I would take Northwestern before DePaul. B1G better then be.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhodyhooopz wrote: 3 years ago

Blue man they are getting almost 26 million a year from the ACC. They would leave the BE every time for that. It's all about football and the Benjamin's.
Yeah, I've never understood people thinking BC should have stayed in the Big East. Any football school would take the ACC in a heartbeat over the Big East, and if you gave the current Big East schools truth serum, I'm willing to bet most of them would take the ACC if they could get an invite for basketball. UConn only agreed to the Big East because they realized the ACC wasn't ever going to come calling for them, so they took what they could hook up with as the bar was closing. And all those that would take the ACC over the Big East are right
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago
rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago Porter was the chosen candidate for the SJU opening a few years ago, and turned down an 8 year, 18 million contract to stay with Loyola. If he'd turn down NYC, why would he have interest in Boston for the same type of money? I've seen it rumored that his goal is to stay in the midwest/near Chicago and he's content waiting for a program like DePaul to open up.
Both schools may be looking soon.

Dave Leitao from DePaul and Chris Collins from Northwestern have been struggling as of late and their seats are probably very warm.
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Schmidt is so impressive. I can't believe how he's turned a tiny school in the middle of Snow Belt, Nowhere into a perennial contender and star guard factory. I hope he stays with the Bonnies and gets them to go deep in Marches to come.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

PeteRI wrote: 3 years ago Schmidt is so impressive. I can't believe how he's turned a tiny school in the middle of Snow Belt, Nowhere into a perennial contender and star guard factory. I hope he stays with the Bonnies and gets them to go deep in Marches to come.
Nope, I want him to go. If URI can't have a successful coach, then nobody in the A10 can.
Attachments
tumblr_mgtmdawCH31ql2603o1_500.jpg
4 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

RhodyKyle wrote: 3 years ago
PeteRI wrote: 3 years ago Schmidt is so impressive. I can't believe how he's turned a tiny school in the middle of Snow Belt, Nowhere into a perennial contender and star guard factory. I hope he stays with the Bonnies and gets them to go deep in Marches to come.
Nope, I want him to go. If URI can't have a successful coach, then nobody in the A10 can.
Me too I want Schmidty gone
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I would like him to be our coach. If he can recruit to Bona, he can recruit anywhere. And he coaches them up too.

I know, I know, never happen within the same conference, but.....

Oh, wait a minute, Baron came from there.....somebody make the call ha ha
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago
Rhodyhooopz wrote: 3 years ago

Yeah, I've never understood people thinking BC should have stayed in the Big East. Any football school would take the ACC in a heartbeat over the Big East, and if you gave the current Big East schools truth serum, I'm willing to bet most of them would take the ACC if they could get an invite for basketball. UConn only agreed to the Big East because they realized the ACC wasn't ever going to come calling for them, so they took what they could hook up with as the bar was closing. And all those that would take the ACC over the Big East are right
Should’ve clarified. Basketball should’ve never gone. An impossibility...but they’ve never been able to compete. More hyperbole than anything else.

Obviously any program jumps, especially for football. Money talks.

But in a parallel universe if basketball drove the bus, they shouldn’t have left.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Football holds the big bucks.

Number one priority for BC.

BB will always be second fiddle there, but it is about time they spent some money on that program.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago I would like him to be our coach. If he can recruit to Bona, he can recruit anywhere. And he coaches them up too.

I know, I know, never happen within the same conference, but.....

Oh, wait a minute, Baron came from there.....somebody make the call ha ha
I didn't agree with the first coach we hired from them and would never agree again to another.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I can't compare Schmidt to Baron.

Baron was a one trick pony at Bona.

Schmidt has had some sustained success.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Gonebarongone wrote: 3 years ago
The answer is almost always in the middle. Schmidt would crawl to BC right now if he was offered the job. Full stop. He interviewed the last time around and now BC is set to announce a huge facilities project. Not to mention he would probably double or triple his salary. He is from Mass and is a BC alum. He will never have a better opportunity. BC is a funny job. So many headwinds to success but they have the money to overcome many of them. It's still one of 15 ACC jobs. Hard to imagine they spend $40MM on a facility and cheap out on a hire. Schmidt would be a great fit, in my opinion, but he is probably the guy they choose if they don't get their first few choices. And it probably would end up working out pretty well.
BC is the only school in New England that is P5. The ACC is a great conference academically and athletically. UCONN would love to be in the ACC, it was and is their dream but they couldn’t get in.

BC is investing heavily in their Basketball facilities, the extent they are moving to would not be possible if not in the ACC.

This is a great opportunity for Schmidt and he will likely be the choice, A win-win for Schmidt and for BC.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago
Both schools may be looking soon.

Dave Leitao from DePaul and Chris Collins from Northwestern have been struggling as of late and their seats are probably very warm.

Will never understand how Leitao still has that job. And they just signed him to an extension couple years back.
0 x
Go Rhody
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

The old AD was a putz. New guy is from Kentucky. Very involved with the basketball program. Would think that means higher expectations.

DePaul is a sleeping giant with the right coach. Even with DL and constant bottom of the BE results, they still bring in occasional top 100 talent and the occasional above average transfer.

Also brand new arena doesn’t hurt. Was watching a game last week and announcer goes “always feels like DePaul is one or two players away from being decent.”

Gotta take the shot...
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Agree Dave Leitao needs to go
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 3 years ago Agree Dave Leitao needs to go
DePaul has won 35 total games in the last 12 seasons in BE Conference play. 12 consecutive seasons of utter futility.

Average of 2.9 wins and 15.1 losses per year. Best year in the last 12 was (7-11)

To call DePaul a Sleeping Giant is an insult to Sleeping Giants everywhere

They are consistent.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

DePaul has won 35 total games in the last 12 seasons in BE Conference play. 12 consecutive seasons of utter futility.

Average of 2.9 wins and 15.1 losses per year. Best year in the last 12 was (7-11)

They are consistent.
They are consistent because they have been bad and had bad head coaches.

I call them a sleeping giant because unlike BC who just decided to invest in themselves, they have a major new facility, they land some quality players, and they are ripe with the right coach to improve recruiting in the Chicago area.

And now they have a basketball-centric AD with a Kentucky pedigree.

If they got rid of Leitao today, they’d have a shot at some of these red hot Midwest coaching prospects. There is a foundation there for someone to have success. I’m not sure who BC is going to pull and just deciding to invest means at least a few years until that payout.

Depaul isn’t exactly Fordham with no facilities, no recruiting pedigree, etc.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago

They are consistent.

I call them a sleeping giant because unlike BC who just decided to invest in themselves, they have a major new facility, they land some quality players, and they are ripe with the right coach to improve recruiting in the Chicago area.

If they got rid of Leitao today, they’d have a shot at some of these red hot Midwest coaching prospects. There is a foundation there for someone to have success. I’m not sure who BC is going to pull and just deciding to invest means at least a few years until that payout.

So why don’t they get rid of Leitao today? It’s obvious he needs to go.
Big East could do so much better than DePaul. Time cut bait on that dismal, long term, non-performing program.
Leitao should never have been brought back after two coaches but then to hold onto him this long is beyond nuts.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Lot's of discussion on the DePaul Board about possible replacements for Leitao. Fully how some see the same conversation from a lot of the same posters that they had there 6 years ago - when they rehired Leitao. Some think that Depaul might not make a change at all in Leitao.
Such a long, long failure of a program to win with only 2.9 average wins in conference play per year for the past 12 YEARS!! and that's is with 18 game seasons!
Surprised the Big East doesn't move to replace this albatross. But it is what it is and likely will be for years to come.

https://247sports.com/college/depaul/bo ... 161261247/
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 3 years ago I've also seen Ed Cooley, Kevin Willard, and Porter Moser mentioned, although I think those are all major long-shots.

John Beilein and Micah Shrewsberry may be in the mix as well.
Added these names to updated List:

Mark Schmidt - HC St Bonaventure
John Becker - HC Vermont
Scott Spinelli - Interim BC Coach (was assistant at BC)
Bill Coen - HC Northeastern
Joe Jones - HC Boston University
Dennis Gates - HC Cleveland State
Howard Eisley - Assistant Michigan
Pat Skerry - HC Towson
John Thompson III - former HC Georgetown
Rick Pitino - HC Iona
Bruce Pearl - Auburn
Jared Dudley - NBA
Mike Rhoades - HC VCU
Tommy Amaker - HC Harvard
Kevin Willard - HC Seton Hall
Porter Moser - HC Loyola of Chicago
John Beilein - HC last at Michigan 2018-19 season
Micah Shrewsberry - Assistant Coach Purdue
Ed Cooley - HC Providence
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

They are consistent.

Big East could do so much better than DePaul. Time cut bait on that dismal, long term, non-performing program.
Leitao should never have been brought back after two coaches but then to hold onto him this long is beyond nuts.
This is a head scratcher, they need to move on from Leitao

You would think being in the Big East and having nice facilities: the new Wintrust Arena and the Sullivan Athletic Center for MBB practice, that they can attract top coaching talent.

Chicago is also a prime basketball recruiting area.

DePaul has not been able to duplicate the success during the Meyer era, they are long overdue.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

I believe the old AD gave him an extension a few years ago, so it may be a little trickier to pull the plug (although I think they should try to find a way to make it happen).

Like I said before, I like the new AD. I think he was involved with SEC Basketball and then with Kentucky basketball, spent a lot of time with Cal. So there is a basketball pedigree there where the old AD seemed just happy having a nice guy as a coach.

Not sure why the Big East would get rid of DePaul though, especially since they are actively investing in their program. If the Big East had 5 or 6 lousy programs, perhaps it makes sense. But if you look at the last 4 years, DePaul's average KenPom is 108.

If the worst team in your conference has an average KenPom of 108, you are probably doing ok.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I believe the old AD gave him an extension a few years ago, so it may be a little trickier to pull the plug (although I think they should try to find a way to make it happen).

Like I said before, I like the new AD. I think he was involved with SEC Basketball and then with Kentucky basketball, spent a lot of time with Cal. So there is a basketball pedigree there where the old AD seemed just happy having a nice guy as a coach.

Not sure why the Big East would get rid of DePaul though, especially since they are actively investing in their program. If the Big East had 5 or 6 lousy programs, perhaps it makes sense. But if you look at the last 4 years, DePaul's average KenPom is 108.

If the worst team in your conference has an average KenPom of 108, you are probably doing ok.
DePaul’s NET is 159. That’s pulling the BE Conference Average NET down.
Big East is now down to #5 Conference. Butler also pulling the conference down but at least Butler doesn’t anchor the BE year after year after year.

Consider Loyola of Chicago Ranked #11 NET with a 17-4 record. Loyola is 6 miles from DePaul.

Villanova is #10 NET one slot ahead of Loyola of Chicago.

If Loyola can do it why can’t DePaul ever do it. Coach for Life type contracts are good to hold onto coaches and can be bad to hold onto coaches - these types of contracts can and do make HC’s comfortable. It’s human nature.
93369874-B001-478B-BE6B-05FE1F9FFAC5.jpeg
0 x