2021 Baseball

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

2021 Baseball

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

URI baseball is scheduled to open their season this afternoon at 4 at East Carolina's Clark-LeClair Stadium in Greenville, NC against the top 25 Pirates. ECU is ranked #13 by Perfect Game, #19 by the National Collegiate Baseball Writer's Association and #25 by d1baseball.com. They were picked to win the American Athletics Conference, the third straight year they were picked first in the preseason. Outfielder Bryson Worrell was a second team All-American in the preseason polls and left handed starter Jake Kuchmaner was third team. Clark-LeClair Stadium has 3000 seats with room for 2000 others and was opened in 2005.

2/19 4:00 pm ESPN+, occasional rain, high of 40
Rhody: Ryan Twitchell 0-1, 4.50 ERA in 3 appearances and 4 innings last year
ECU: Tyler Smith 2-1, 1.96 ERA in 4 starts and 18.1 innings

2/20 2:00 pm ESPN+ (according to Rhody release) or ecupirates.com (according to ECU release), sunny, high of 42
Rhody: Mike Webb, 2-0, .69 ERA in 2 starts and 13 innings last year at D3 Rhode Island College
ECU: Jake Kuchmaner, 4-0, .60 ERA in 4 starts, 15 innings

2/21 1:00 pm ESPN+, sunny, high of 45
Rhody: Vitaly Jangols 2-1, 3.00 ERA in 4 starts, 21 innings
ECU: Carson Whisenhunt 1 appearance, 3 earned runs with no outs recorded

https://gorhody.com/news/2021/2/18/base ... -elon.aspx (not sure why it says Elon, this is the link for our preview)

https://ecupirates.com/news/2021/2/18/b ... sland.aspx
3 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: 2021 Baseball

0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Tonight's game has been pushed back to 7

Shouldn't have any rain issues with this new start time, but the game will be played in the mid to upper 30's for temperature. Maybe an advantage for us?
0 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

Man the quality of coverage ECU has on ESPN+ is top notch. Extremely jealous.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Tied at 2 in the 10th. Free baseball
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Game today at 2PM, again streaming on ESPN+, or if you're like me and you like to listen on the radio while farting around the house you can get it here: https://listen.tunein.com/ecubaseball
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Tough loss last night in freezing 🥶 conditions. Had bases loaded 1 out in top of ninth and hit into do. Then lost on a chopper over 3B head in bottom of 10 th
0 x
RI_Rams
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RI_Rams »

We get two more cracks at ECU. Hopefully we can pull it out tonight!
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Puck Frovidence wrote: 3 years ago Man the quality of coverage ECU has on ESPN+ is top notch. Extremely jealous.
The whole ECU operation from top to bottom seemed first class. Their stadium and coverage really jumped out at me. Frankly it seemed more like a AA team from a stadium and coverage aspect than a college baseball team. Like you I was extremely jealous
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

URI adds game vs #22 Ranked Boston College

https://gorhody.com/news/2021/3/2/baseb ... llege.aspx
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

ramster wrote: 3 years ago URI adds game vs #22 Ranked Boston College

I'm surprised it wasn't on the original schedule...I'm pretty sure they play each other most years.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steviep123 wrote: 3 years ago

I'm surprised it wasn't on the original schedule...I'm pretty sure they play each other most years.
URI vs BC is already scheduled for April 21.

This is an additional game just added for tomorrow at BC. One benefit of this crazy Covid Time Period is the flexibility that has entered into scheduling, especially with local geographic rivals.

Good job by both schools in scheduling last minute.

KINGSTON, R.I. – Rhode Island picked up a mid-week contest and will travel to No. 22 Boston College for a game Wednesday afternoon. Game time is set for 3 p.m.
The Eagles (5-1) are coming off a weekend road series in which they took two out of three from No. 11 Duke. BC also swept its season-opening three-game series at Charleston Southern, scoring 10 or more runs in all three contests.
Rhode Island (2-4) had a strong weekend as well, winning two out of three at Old Dominion. The Rams rallied in the late innings in each of the first two games of the series to grab impressive road wins.
Rhode Island and Boston college have met 68 times, with the Eagles holding a 42-25-1 edge in the series
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

ramster wrote: 3 years ago
steviep123 wrote: 3 years ago

URI vs BC is already scheduled for April 21.

This is an additional game just added for tomorrow at BC. One benefit of this crazy Covid Time Period is the flexibility that has entered into scheduling, especially with local geographic rivals.

Good job by both schools in scheduling last minute.

KINGSTON, R.I. – Rhode Island picked up a mid-week contest and will travel to No. 22 Boston College for a game Wednesday afternoon. Game time is set for 3 p.m.
The Eagles (5-1) are coming off a weekend road series in which they took two out of three from No. 11 Duke. BC also swept its season-opening three-game series at Charleston Southern, scoring 10 or more runs in all three contests.
Rhode Island (2-4) had a strong weekend as well, winning two out of three at Old Dominion. The Rams rallied in the late innings in each of the first two games of the series to grab impressive road wins.
Rhode Island and Boston college have met 68 times, with the Eagles holding a 42-25-1 edge in the series
Ah, thanks for this...I just sort of assumed they weren't scheduled to play before the add on.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Preseason 2021 Atlantic 10 Baseball Poll
(parenthesis denotes number of first-place votes)
1. VCU 151 (4)
2. Fordham 149 (4)
3. Dayton 146 (4)
4. Davidson 117
5. Saint Louis 114 (1)
6. Richmond 109
7. Rhode Island 103
8. George Washington 74
9. Saint Joseph's 71
10. George Mason 46
11. La Salle 40
12. St. Bonaventure 32
13. Massachusetts 31
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

So...they are home Saturday...are folks allowed near the game...will that little home plate bleacher area be open?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I’m not sure 208 about attendance

URI lost 6-4 today to #22 Ranked BC.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody baseball has run off 5 straight wins against Umass-Lowell and Bryant. Record now stands at 7-5 with just one loss to a non ranked team.

2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody playing a 3 game series this weekend at UNC Charlotte. We lost the 1st game today 2-1 in 10 innings.

This late schedule change came about when Hofstra series was cancelled.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

We won the second game of the doubleheader 6-3. Both games were played in Truist Field, home of the AAA Charlotte Knights. Today at noon they'll be at Hayes Stadium on Charlotte's campus
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

This afternoon and tomorrow URI is at UConn for the 2nd through 4th games at their brand new 1351 seat Elliot Ballpark. This place looks seriously impressive.

It really is striking just how far behind we are in athletic facilities. You have the obvious issues with Meade Stadium, we don't have real seating or lights at Beck Field (Little League fields have lights, we don't), we don't have a useable outdoor track and field facility (every city and town in the state has one I think, we don't), and I'm sure there are a host of other issues, those are just the three biggest off the top of my head.

First, being behind in facilities like this makes it harder for our teams to compete, but there's another big issue it creates. Proper facilities are a way to attract people to come onto campus, and we aren't even coming close to maximizing the "front porch of the University" effect. Think about if we had a park like this and could get the Ocean State Waves to move from Old Mountain Field to a renovated Beck Field. Think about if you had a proper football stadium and then you could host the state high school playoffs. I mean across the board we should be looking to host the high school championships as the state flagship but only the Ryan Center is good enough to do that. Think what it could do for our fanbase and enrollment if kids across the state spend their entire high school career with the goal of playing at URI as part of their high school team. Do you think that might have benefits for us as a University?
3 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago This afternoon and tomorrow URI is at UConn for the 2nd through 4th games at their brand new 1351 seat Elliot Ballpark. This place looks seriously impressive.

It really is striking just how far behind we are in athletic facilities. You have the obvious issues with Meade Stadium, we don't have real seating or lights at Beck Field (Little League fields have lights, we don't), we don't have a useable outdoor track and field facility (every city and town in the state has one I think, we don't), and I'm sure there are a host of other issues, those are just the three biggest off the top of my head.

First, being behind in facilities like this makes it harder for our teams to compete, but there's another big issue it creates. Proper facilities are a way to attract people to come onto campus, and we aren't even coming close to maximizing the "front porch of the University" effect. Think about if we had a park like this and could get the Ocean State Waves to move from Old Mountain Field to a renovated Beck Field. Think about if you had a proper football stadium and then you could host the state high school playoffs. I mean across the board we should be looking to host the high school championships as the state flagship but only the Ryan Center is good enough to do that. Think what it could do for our fanbase and enrollment if kids across the state spend their entire high school career with the goal of playing at URI as part of their high school team. Do you think that might have benefits for us as a University?
Are there any othet state flagship university's that struggle as much as we do with those things?

Like how in the hell did we just get lights for football? Literally any high school I've ever seen has lights.

It's like, if we are too poor to have lights for a baseball field then how the hell do we afford anything ever?
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

As nice as it was to finally get lights and field turf at Meade, in the grand scheme of things it was kind of a nothingburger. As you said, lights and field turf are fairly standard for RI high schools, not exactly one of the high school football hotbeds of the nation. When your facilities are worse than the state's high schools and you struggle to keep up with basics like lights it's remarkable we can be competitive at all in the A10
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

URI went decades without upgrading anything on campus. From my freshman year to senior year in the 2010s, the place was nearly unrecognizable in some areas. Meaning, the improvements finally started flowing in. Athletics (besides the Ryan) were barely touched until now.
1 x
GO RAMS
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago As nice as it was to finally get lights and field turf at Meade, in the grand scheme of things it was kind of a nothingburger. As you said, lights and field turf are fairly standard for RI high schools, not exactly one of the high school football hotbeds of the nation. When your facilities are worse than the state's high schools and you struggle to keep up with basics like lights it's remarkable we can be competitive at all in the A10
Didn't the baseball program get a million dollars recently? Or more?

It's crazy to have the Ryan Center juxtaposed to a bunch of nothingness.

The only way Rhody can start getting some more funding for these other sports has to be through the basketball program. A deep tourney run will drive up admissions and bring in more dollars.

Or is the university just being stingy?
0 x
Falcon
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Falcon »

All the initial baseball improvements were funded by a $ 1.5 million gift by one of the player's father who actually graduated from BC ! Thank GOD . YOU CAN'T MAKE THIS S__T UP , how pathetic !
0 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

UConn charges for video stream for baseball but seeing how its a beautiful day today anyways, people might be interested in taking the game on the go on the radio, which is free.

Game 1 1pm is on WHUS 91.7 which you can pick up some places in South County and western RI or listen online at https://whus.org/

Game 2 4pm is streaming something called "mixlr" https://edge.mixlr.com/channel/cowki

Currently URI 0 - UConn 1 BOT 4

Go Rhody
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

URI is at Boston College today, Wednesday April 21 at 3pm on ACC Network

Our last 7 games have been cancelled due to Covid
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Nice 6-4 win today @ Boston College in a game that experienced some heavy rain and was delayed for more than an hour due to lightning in the area.
Broc French, a lefty freshman from South Kingstown High School pitched clutch in the 7th and 8th innings as he set down all 6 batters he faced with 2 K's
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Current A10 Standings Monday April 26

BASEBALL NORTH
La Salle (9-3)
Fordham (6-2)
Rhode Island (5-3)
Saint Joseph's (7-5)
St. Bonaventure (4-8)
UMass (1-11)

BASEBALL SOUTH
George Washington (6-2)
Saint Louis (3-1)
VCU (5-3)
Dayton (4-4)
Davidson (4-8)
George Mason (2-6)
Richmond (0-0)
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Games remaining for URI as of Monday April 26:

Fri Apr 30 8:35pm @ Arizona State
Sat May 1 8:35pm @ Arizona State
Sun May 30 2:35pm @ Arizona State

Fri May 7 3pm @ St Bonaventure (4-8)
Sat May 8 12pm @ St Bonaventure (4-8)
Sat May 8 3pm @ St Bonaventure (4-8)
Sun May 9 12pm @ St Bonaventure (4-8)

Tue May 11 3pm Army

Fri May 14 3pm St Joseph's (7-5)
Sat May 15 12pm St Joseph's (7-5)
Sat May 15 3pm St Joseph's (7-5)
Sun May 16 12pm St Joseph's (7-5)

Tue May 18 3pm UCONN

Fri May 20 @ TBA UMASS (1-11)
Sat May 21 @ TBA UMASS (1-11)
Sat May 21 @ TBA UMASS (1-11)
Sun May 22 @ TBA UMASS (1-11)
Last edited by ramster 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Arizona State is coming here?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

JimSidd wrote: 3 years ago Arizona State is coming here?
fixed it. thanks
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Great week for URI Baseball as we capture the Rookie AND Player of the Week in the A10!!!

Last edited by ramster 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

2nd straight week URI has had the A10 Player of the Week!!

0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Did we win any of those games v ASU ??
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 3 years ago Did we win any of those games v ASU ??
No, we lost all 3 games but we did play competitively, especially hitting.
Friday night was a strange game as we were coming back in the last inning and had already had some hit batters. ASU pitcher hit our guy but the umpire called him out for leaning into the pitch. Seemed like a bad call. All 3 games were on the PAC5 Network.

Important series as we not get ready for the all important St Bonaventure series starting this Friday.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Went 3-1 against the Bonnies this weekend.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago Went 3-1 against the Bonnies this weekend.
So I have read that 4 teams will make the A-10 tournament.

Is that determined by the top two teams in each division or overall conference win percentage?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago

Is that determined by the top two teams in each division or overall conference win percentage?
Top 2 teams in each division

LaSalle is in 1st place with URI in 2nd place currently

Big 4 game series next weekend vs St Joseph’s at URI.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago

Top 2 teams in each division

LaSalle is in 1st place with URI in 2nd place currently

Big 4 game series next weekend vs St Joseph’s at URI.
Okay now I'm caught up.

Got that then a series with UMass who sucks.

Go BaseRams!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Current A10 Standings Monday May 10

Top 2 Teams in each Division make the 4 Team A10 Tournament

Remaining games for A10 Baseball NORTH next 2 weekends
BASEBALL NORTH
La Salle (12-4) - 4 @ Fordham, 2 @ St Joseph's
Rhode Island (8-4) - 4 vs Saint Joseph's, 3 @ UMASS
Fordham (7-5) - 4 vs LaSalle, 4 @ St Bonaventure
Saint Joseph's (9-7) - 4 @ URI, 2 vs LaSalle
St. Bonaventure (5-11) - 3 @ UMASS, 4 vs Fordham
UMass (3-13) - 3 @ St Bonaventure, 3 vs URI

BASEBALL SOUTH
VCU (13-3) - 16 straight wins
George Washington (11-5)
Dayton (8-4) - 7 straight wins
Saint Louis (5-7)
Davidson (6-10)
Richmond (2-6)
George Mason (3-13)
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Looks like LaSalle taking at least 2 from Fordham is best for us.
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

So....can we go the games today without masks or what?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago So....can we go the games today without masks or what?
Good question. I'd think no masks if you have been vaccinated. But who knows.

Tough loss for Rhody on Friday losing 6-5.

Need to take at least 2 of the next 3

Sat May 15 12pm St Joseph's
Sat May 15 3pm St Joseph's
Sun May 16 12pm St Joseph's
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago So....can we go the games today without masks or what?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody wins the 12pm game 7-3. Butler and Coley both hit 3-run homers. Nice pitching effort by Webb who goes to 6-1.
Next game 3pm.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

The required 'line to make sure it's still political theater':
"And many customers and employees, both the fully vaccinated and not, remain uncomfortable being around the maskless."
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago Rhody wins the 12pm game 7-3. Butler and Coley both hit 3-run homers. Nice pitching effort by Webb who goes to 6-1.
Next game 3pm.
Rhody wins both games of the doubleheader winning the nightcap 8-7. Rhody scored 2 in the bottom of the 6th to go up 8-7 and held St Joe's scoreless in the 7th.

4 game series finished up Sunday at noon.
0 x