It Can Be Done...A Wild Tale of Optimism

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

It Can Be Done...A Wild Tale of Optimism

Unread post by Blue Man »

Hi - psudo-insane, mentally imbalanced fan guy here.

This season has not gone to plan. That much is clear. While glass-half empty posts riddle the board, and many of them well-deserved (some penned by yours-truly), let me take a different tact.

We are now approaching the arc of the season where it "matters" again. If you're not like me, I am envious, but for those following my mood swings, we are approaching meltdown number 4 - the final stage.

My first is always early in the year when we don't win a game against a good team that we could've. My second is the first time we lose to a bad team. My third is more of an acceptance that we won't be an at-large team after the "nail in the coffin" loss. Now we ride acceptance until it's A-10 tourney time. It's like a renewed tale of hope, a spring re-birth, and the exciting opportunity that we could have a successful season despite regular season shortcomings.

After seeing the coach make some necessary changes, and the team find their sacks to battle back from down 18 with under 11 mins to go (Dayton 98% chance to win), I think it's worth noting a potential change in the wind.

Cox finally narrowed the rotation, and rode the hot hands that got us home. The game certainly didn't start out that way, but once we made the final push, Cox let his producers ride the wagon til the wheels fell off.

The players responded. Battling back from down 18 is hard enough. To continue to fight through missed opportunities in 2 OT's is worth nothing in and of itself.

Most importantly, this is the softest A-10 I can remember. No team is unbeatable. No team has players that we (or anyone in the league) can't play with. Unlike last year, where you knew Dayton was a death blow and no one was beating them, there are flaws in every team 1-8, and weird strengths in teams 9-14.

I will take to my grave that fully healthy (Fatts at 100% and Makhi) this is one of the more talented and balanced teams we have ever had. I think it's clear, and even the coach has openly admitted, that there have been some coaching shortcomings that we saw addressed in the 2nd half of Dayton. Still however, despite players who haven't given us anywhere near what we thought (Betrand, Carey), we do have players.

Ish is a scorer. Period. Can shoot, can drive, just finds a way. You need that guy.

Shepp is a shooter. When he is on, he can take over a game. We need that.

Fatts is a creator and a scorer. At his best in the lane and getting to the line. Still has the fight to will the team to a win like we saw last game.

Walker is a swiss army knife.

Mitchell is a presence. Young but a great array of post moves, very good at using his size to alter shots.

Martin is a stalwart defender. Doesn't really give you a ton offensively, but if used like he was last game he can affect the game. His D and energy turned the tide, hence being a +15 in a game you win by 2.

DJ is one of those "big shots at weird times" off the bench guy. You'll need that.

Betrand though largely disappointing, has shown flashes of what he can bring. If Cox can get the right combo of minutes out of him to without leaving him out there long enough to be a liability, that will be huge.

My optimism:

If Cox can make changes once, he can make them again. Riding a rotation of your winners will help.

Fatts has that fire back (if it ever left) but last game you really saw him put the team on his back, even though he clearly wasn't at 100%.

The A-10 is very soft. This team when riding a shorter bench can hang or beat anyone. The question will be is if we can play that many minutes in 4 days. Would love to see Fatts fight his way back to the tourney in the most improbable of ways.

The 2016 Rams won 8 straight en route to a conference title in a better A-10. We are definitely not that team, but we don't have to win 8 games either. 6 games (hopefully) left in a worse A-10. We only have 2 games in the next 3 weeks to get healthy.

Why not us?

*expect a temporary derailment of the train should we lose to GW or Joes, but then an immediate shift into overdrive back on the tracks once the tourney starts. OPTIMISM!

**per usual I take zero responsibility for my reaction should we drop 3 in a row and get bounced in the first round. BUT THAT'S NOT GONNA HAPPEN. OPTIMISM!
14 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: It Can Be Done...A Wild Tale of Optimism

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Blue Man....the poster boy for conflicted emotions.

We're all like that to some extent.

But he has that innate ability to express these feelings way better than I can!

Keep on keepin' on, BM!
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Blue Man your emotional swings are a riot from your early thread on "Best Team Ever" to this. I like your optimism, but many times you reverse course, which is understandable under these circumstances.

Yes there is always a chance for us, but not likely. We get caught up in the excitement of our win against Dayton, but we can't take leave of our senses. We haven't beaten St. Louis and Richmond which are both better than us and also lost to a good Davidson team and others.

I do disagree with you about the A10 being soft this year, the league just has more parity. I also think many of the Covid pauses and schedule changes affected team's play. You also don't know what impact empty arenas have on the players emotions out there. This almost seems like a lost year, thus the NCAA granting this a "Mulligan" season.

All along, I didn't think this was our year to go to the NCAAT, too many better more experienced teams in our conference. I haven't changed my mind, but I do hope they prove me wrong.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Great post! I will have to see how Cox handles his rotations the next two games before I get excited again. That being said I agree the A10 is wide open. We can beat anyone.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Classic Blueman!!! I think Cox needs to emphasize getting Shep open for 3's. That should be a staple for this team. Also, he needs to use timeouts correctly and play the producers like he did against Dayton. There are no participation trophies given out. You win or lose. I would much prefer winning.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I love riding the Blue Man mood swing rollercoaster! I usually end up puking once I get off, but its a hell of a ride and worth it every time! :lol:
3 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Look, it’s no secret that you and I aren’t the best of friends. We likely will never be, and that’s ok.

Every sense of emotion you have expressed is normal. I go through so many temper tantrums while watching this team, I have visions of me in a straight jacket being dumped to the deepest depths of the ocean, by none other than my wife.

Nonetheless, those glimpses of beauty that this team displays in some 5-10-15-20 minute bursts is enough to allow ME to believe lightning can strike. I am an eternal optimist to a fault. Blame my upbringing. I am also an asshole. But I’m the asshole on the opposite side of the track than you. We spend so much idle time telling other fans what kind of fans they are, rather than doing something loads more constructive. It’s childish. Most of us are raising kids or have raised kids/grandkids and many of us ADULTS sit on here and believe that we are so much better than the another. It’s baseless and pointless.

One day, I hope we can all sing KUM-BY-YA together and let bygones be bygones, but unfortunately our differences and gripes may be too much to overcome...and it’s over something so minute in the grand scheme of life. Folks are screaming as loud as they can to fire a man, who’s arguably played more games that most teams in the country, during a fucking pandemic. It’s disgusting. The program has not reached train wreck status, nor is it anywhere close. There are some growing pains that are nauseating to watch at times, but if this team doesn’t dance by Year 4, Year 5 may be where the rubber should meet the road. Many of us will continue to agree to disagree as nauseam and point out why their rationale is the right rationale, but again, it’s child play, and a pointless exercise.

We will NEVER see eye to eye, and I’ve blocked more accounts than I can count because folks vendetta against me is solely based on coincidence and conspiracy, so I’ll always have a target on my back here, and again, that’s ok.

We are all in this same abusive relationship, such is the nature of sports, but at some point, can’t we all just be adults and just get along?
5 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago Look, it’s no secret that you and I aren’t the best of friends. We likely will never be, and that’s ok.

Every sense of emotion you have expressed is normal. I go through so many temper tantrums while watching this team, I have visions of me in a straight jacket being dumped to the deepest depths of the ocean, by none other than my wife.

Nonetheless, those glimpses of beauty that this team displays in some 5-10-15-20 minute bursts is enough to allow ME to believe lightning can strike. I am an eternal optimist to a fault. Blame my upbringing. I am also an asshole. But I’m the asshole on the opposite side of the track than you. We spend so much idle time telling other fans what kind of fans they are, rather than doing something loads more constructive. It’s childish. Most of us are raising kids or have raised kids/grandkids and many of us ADULTS sit on here and believe that we are so much better than the another. It’s baseless and pointless.

One day, I hope we can all sing KUM-BY-YA together and let bygones be bygones, but unfortunately our differences and gripes may be too much to overcome...and it’s over something so minute in the grand scheme of life. Folks are screaming as loud as they can to fire a man, who’s arguably played more games that most teams in the country, during a fucking pandemic. It’s disgusting. The program has not reached train wreck status, nor is it anywhere close. There are some growing pains that are nauseating to watch at times, but if this team doesn’t dance by Year 4, Year 5 may be where the rubber should meet the road. Many of us will continue to agree to disagree as nauseam and point out why their rationale is the right rationale, but again, it’s child play, and a pointless exercise.

We will NEVER see eye to eye, and I’ve blocked more accounts than I can count because folks vendetta against me is solely based on coincidence and conspiracy, so I’ll always have a target on my back here, and again, that’s ok.

We are all in this same abusive relationship, such is the nature of sports, but at some point, can’t we all just be adults and just get along?
If you think 7-8 in conference and 10-12 overall in the 3rd year of a coach who took over a team that went to 2 straight NCAAT's isn't a train wreck I can't help you with that.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago Look, it’s no secret that you and I aren’t the best of friends. We likely will never be, and that’s ok.

If you think 7-8 in conference and 10-12 overall in the 3rd year of a coach who took over a team that went to 2 straight NCAAT's isn't a train wreck I can't help you with that.
That’s your opinion. I disagree. Move on.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago

That’s your opinion. I disagree. Move on.
I agree with DC, I am disappointed with our play at times but certainly no train wreck.

As far as I am concerned this entire basketball season should have an asterisk.
4 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Just win baby.
2 x
GO RAMS
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Buddy. We are friends. I am friends with every single person on this board.

Because he who is a Rhody fan has suffered as I have suffered.

I think my online persona gets a bit misconstrued. In rugby, you can literally punch someone in the face during the game, and laugh about how awesome the punch to the face was over a beer with said puncher and punchee at the drink up. I have been on both sides of the puncher and the punchee scenario, and the beer/laughter was equally great every time.

I would happily buy you a beer and discuss or disagree with you on anything and everything. I would probably laugh about something hilariously stupid I said and probably agree with you that is was stupid.

I do not hate anyone on this board, no matter how vehemently I may disagree with their opinion about something. We are all Ram fans.

Plus, I may passionately agree with someone on one point, and then passionately tell them to go screw on another. It's all the same Keaney Blue love.

An abusive relationship is exactly what I would say this team is. It takes me far too many words to roundabout to agreement on topics, so probably will never be "adult" on this message board. I have to be an adult everywhere else in my life. I like not being an adult here.

However, off this message board? A-10 tourney? NCAA game? Ryan Center? Pop-up tent outside the Ryan Center at 10am? First beer is on me. All ram fans are welcome. There's too few of us to ever turn away a fan, no matter how different our opinions are online.
6 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Blue Man: you refer to yourself as "psudo (pseudo) insane"? What do you mean pseudo? There is no doubt you are INSANE!
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I feel you Blue!

It's time to ride cause we ain't dead yet!
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago

I think my online persona gets a bit misconstrued. In rugby, you can literally punch someone in the face during the game, and laugh about how awesome the punch to the face was over a beer with said puncher and punchee at the drink up. I have been on both sides of the puncher and the punchee scenario, and the beer/laughter was equally great every time.

I would happily buy you a beer and discuss or disagree with you on anything and everything. I would probably laugh about something hilariously stupid I said and probably agree with you that is was stupid.

I do not hate anyone on this board, no matter how vehemently I may disagree with their opinion about something. We are all Ram fans.

Plus, I may passionately agree with someone on one point, and then passionately tell them to go screw on another. It's all the same Keaney Blue love.

An abusive relationship is exactly what I would say this team is. It takes me far too many words to roundabout to agreement on topics, so probably will never be "adult" on this message board. I have to be an adult everywhere else in my life. I like not being an adult here.

However, off this message board? A-10 tourney? NCAA game? Ryan Center? Pop-up tent outside the Ryan Center at 10am? First beer is on me. All ram fans are welcome. There's too few of us to ever turn away a fan, no matter how different our opinions are online.
I respect it. I don’t agree with it all, but at the end of the day, like you said, we are all cheering the same cause. Just wish we would just support the current regime through up and downs....they are all we have.
2 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

We could run the table or lose by 30 and be one and done.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

I think the term is "co-dependent". :)
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

This isn't a train wreck at this point.....but the train is moving and there's no engineer.

It's got to get better and soon. Seriously.

One game [actually about 11 minutes] things got better.

Have to build on it and not regress back down the hole.
0 x
URI_CellBio14
Abdul Fox

Unread post by URI_CellBio14 »

Jay Wright had his detractors in the beginning...things turned out fine

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... inal-four/

I'm not saying that Cox is going to be Jay Wright...but hey there is a chance...

Dan Hurley after the Fordham loss in the 16-17 season and people were calling for his head...and then before we knew it we were a few plays away from a Sweet Sixteen

Things can change. This whole season could change in an instant this March

LET"S GO RHODY
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

URI_CellBio14 wrote: 3 years ago Jay Wright had his detractors in the beginning...things turned out fine

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... inal-four/

I'm not saying that Cox is going to be Jay Wright...but hey there is a chance...

Dan Hurley after the Fordham loss in the 16-17 season and people were calling for his head...and then before we knew it we were a few plays away from a Sweet Sixteen

Things can change. This whole season could change in an instant this March

LET"S GO RHODY
aRe YOu CaLLing CoX JAY WrIGht!?!?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I absolutely agree that if we can somehow find our game that we can definitely be a tough out in the A10 tournament especially if we play VCU
0 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Blue man

I think you need to spend some time on the couch with this woman Image
2 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Rhodyhooopz wrote: 3 years ago Blue man

I think you need to spend some time on the couch with this woman Image
The one that got away...
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
gazakaza
Steve Chubin

Unread post by gazakaza »

I miss the pop up tent outside the Ryan Center at 10 AM. Damn COVID!
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

When this is all over and we're allowed to be back at games, we need to have a big Keaney Blue tailgate before a game to celebrate.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago When this is all over and we're allowed to be back at games, we need to have a big Keaney Blue tailgate before a game to celebrate.
My wife has banned my person from whole bottle grey goose screwdrivers before games, but we can definitely pull something together.

From what I can remember of the last game we did that, that Valpo fan got a SHOW.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago When this is all over and we're allowed to be back at games, we need to have a big Keaney Blue tailgate before a game to celebrate.
My wife has banned my person from whole bottle grey goose screwdrivers before games, but we can definitely pull something together.

From what I can remember of the last game we did that, that Valpo fan got a SHOW.
Just a few beers to get 'hydrated'....as Tom Brady once said.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Tom will be drinking that avocado vodka not beers
0 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

Yes Blue Man! My only objection is you ended the screed with "why not us?" and that statement makes me think of Curt Schilling with the 2004 Red Sox, which then makes me depressed how much I admired the guy in the years before burning RI taxpayer money and being so public with his wackadoodle "deep state" theories.

As for Coach Cox, based on this last game he at least made some proactive decisions, even if they were late. I was worried he was being stubborn with rotations for the sake of being stubborn at some point, like the Patriots with Belichick sinking the season with Cam Newton all the way to the bitter end. What I think he was trying to do is keep some normalcy during such an abnormal season.

With injuries sidelining someone (Makhi) and hindering performance (Fatts), last-minute scheduling change-ups due to the pandemic, off and on practices due to health & safety protocols, and the utter turnover of the roster, I'm giving Cox a partial pass on this year but remembering last year when we should have been in better position and several players obviously were unhappy enough to seek greener pastures. I think it could have turned out a lot different if we had a few more holdovers who could pick up where they left off playing together.

A "winner" in this year's disappointment has been Makhel Mitchell, who when you think about it has played aside his brother their whole lives and with Makhi considered the higher recruit Makhel became an afterthought in many people's eyes. Having the chance to independently show what he is made of will make our team stronger for next season. I sure as hell didn't expect Makhel to average north of 20 minutes per game. If he plays closer to 30/game next season I see a streak of double-doubles out of him in our future.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodyruckus wrote: 3 years ago Yes Blue Man! My only objection is you ended the screed with "why not us?" and that statement makes me think of Curt Schilling with the 2004 Red Sox, which then makes me depressed how much I admired the guy in the years before burning RI taxpayer money and being so public with his wackadoodle "deep state" theories.

As for Coach Cox, based on this last game he at least made some proactive decisions, even if they were late. I was worried he was being stubborn with rotations for the sake of being stubborn at some point, like the Patriots with Belichick sinking the season with Cam Newton all the way to the bitter end. What I think he was trying to do is keep some normalcy during such an abnormal season.

With injuries sidelining someone (Makhi) and hindering performance (Fatts), last-minute scheduling change-ups due to the pandemic, off and on practices due to health & safety protocols, and the utter turnover of the roster, I'm giving Cox a partial pass on this year but remembering last year when we should have been in better position and several players obviously were unhappy enough to seek greener pastures. I think it could have turned out a lot different if we had a few more holdovers who could pick up where they left off playing together.

A "winner" in this year's disappointment has been Makhel Mitchell, who when you think about it has played aside his brother their whole lives and with Makhi considered the higher recruit Makhel became an afterthought in many people's eyes. Having the chance to independently show what he is made of will make our team stronger for next season. I sure as hell didn't expect Makhel to average north of 20 minutes per game. If he plays closer to 30/game next season I see a streak of double-doubles out of him in our future.
Ruckus,
Most impressive was that Makhel flat out beat out his more highly rated brother after 2 games - unrelated to injury.
Makhi started the 1st two games, Makhel took his spot from game 3 on

An interesting question to David Cox would be does he see both Makhel and Makhi in the starting line up next season.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If there's a bright spot to this season, it's the play of Makhel, Ish, and Walker to some extent.

There is something to build on, hopefully.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago If there's a bright spot to this season, it's the play of Makhel, Ish, and Walker to some extent.

Can Cox leave Walker in for more than 4 minutes to start the game?
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago If there's a bright spot to this season, it's the play of Makhel, Ish, and Walker to some extent.

Especially when he's been the best player on the floor during those 4 minutes.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago

Especially when he's been the best player on the floor during those 4 minutes.
Walker comes out really strong at the start. He plays great and Cox pulls him EVERY TIME AT 4 MINUTES!!!!!!! Blows my mind, but that's just one thing Cox can fix in a heartbeat. Will he?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I think Sheppard has been a bright spot too
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

My last 2 brain cells clinging to an unbalanced amount of serotonin to make positivity happen:

0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

After today
Attachments
tenor.png
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I was optimistic going into today but I have turned pessimistic after blowing a lead to a crap team who hasn’t played in 35 days
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

reef wrote: 3 years ago I was optimistic going into today but I have turned pessimistic after blowing a lead to a crap team who hasn’t played in 35 days
Yes and if you want to think logically and look at all the facts of the situation- you are probably correct.

I’m going to ignore all of that and blindly hope on nothing but potential, luck, and miracles.

**it will be a glorious descent down to earth if/when we lose early.

**I just want to go down with the ship
3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Today is my birthday no lie I watched us blow an 8 point lead to a bad GW team with 430 left then the Celts blow a 24 point lead to the Pels some kind of birthday this was
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

reef wrote: 3 years ago Today is my birthday no lie I watched us blow an 8 point lead to a bad GW team with 430 left then the Celts blow a 24 point lead to the Pels some kind of birthday this was
Happy Birthday REEF!!!!!!! :D
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 3 years ago Today is my birthday no lie I watched us blow an 8 point lead to a bad GW team with 430 left then the Celts blow a 24 point lead to the Pels some kind of birthday this was
Happy Birthday REEF!!!!!!! :D
Happy Birthday, I hope no more games on this day.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Thanks guys appreciate it
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

reef wrote: 3 years ago Thanks guys appreciate it
Please don't watch the Bruins tonight :lol: .
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Reef - sorry tou got hot help from our team today

Happy birthday .. wishing you the best
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Happy birthday Reef!
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Happy Birthday!

We were outscored 15-2 at the end of the game.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Cox is becoming as bad as Baron at the end of games.

Not just that, but we're losing close games to BAD teams, not just good ones.
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 3 years ago We could run the table or lose by 30 and be one and done.
Both remain plausible scenarios, although the odds of one-and-done seem to be increasing.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago Hi - psudo-insane, mentally imbalanced fan guy here.

This season has not gone to plan. That much is clear. While glass-half empty posts riddle the board, and many of them well-deserved (some penned by yours-truly), let me take a different tact.

We are now approaching the arc of the season where it "matters" again. If you're not like me, I am envious, but for those following my mood swings, we are approaching meltdown number 4 - the final stage.

My first is always early in the year when we don't win a game against a good team that we could've. My second is the first time we lose to a bad team. My third is more of an acceptance that we won't be an at-large team after the "nail in the coffin" loss. Now we ride acceptance until it's A-10 tourney time. It's like a renewed tale of hope, a spring re-birth, and the exciting opportunity that we could have a successful season despite regular season shortcomings.

After seeing the coach make some necessary changes, and the team find their sacks to battle back from down 18 with under 11 mins to go (Dayton 98% chance to win), I think it's worth noting a potential change in the wind.

Cox finally narrowed the rotation, and rode the hot hands that got us home. The game certainly didn't start out that way, but once we made the final push, Cox let his producers ride the wagon til the wheels fell off.

The players responded. Battling back from down 18 is hard enough. To continue to fight through missed opportunities in 2 OT's is worth nothing in and of itself.

Most importantly, this is the softest A-10 I can remember. No team is unbeatable. No team has players that we (or anyone in the league) can't play with. Unlike last year, where you knew Dayton was a death blow and no one was beating them, there are flaws in every team 1-8, and weird strengths in teams 9-14.

I will take to my grave that fully healthy (Fatts at 100% and Makhi) this is one of the more talented and balanced teams we have ever had. I think it's clear, and even the coach has openly admitted, that there have been some coaching shortcomings that we saw addressed in the 2nd half of Dayton. Still however, despite players who haven't given us anywhere near what we thought (Betrand, Carey), we do have players.

Ish is a scorer. Period. Can shoot, can drive, just finds a way. You need that guy.

Shepp is a shooter. When he is on, he can take over a game. We need that.

Fatts is a creator and a scorer. At his best in the lane and getting to the line. Still has the fight to will the team to a win like we saw last game.

Walker is a swiss army knife.

Mitchell is a presence. Young but a great array of post moves, very good at using his size to alter shots.

Martin is a stalwart defender. Doesn't really give you a ton offensively, but if used like he was last game he can affect the game. His D and energy turned the tide, hence being a +15 in a game you win by 2.

DJ is one of those "big shots at weird times" off the bench guy. You'll need that.

Betrand though largely disappointing, has shown flashes of what he can bring. If Cox can get the right combo of minutes out of him to without leaving him out there long enough to be a liability, that will be huge.

My optimism:

If Cox can make changes once, he can make them again. Riding a rotation of your winners will help.

Fatts has that fire back (if it ever left) but last game you really saw him put the team on his back, even though he clearly wasn't at 100%.

The A-10 is very soft. This team when riding a shorter bench can hang or beat anyone. The question will be is if we can play that many minutes in 4 days. Would love to see Fatts fight his way back to the tourney in the most improbable of ways.

The 2016 Rams won 8 straight en route to a conference title in a better A-10. We are definitely not that team, but we don't have to win 8 games either. 6 games (hopefully) left in a worse A-10. We only have 2 games in the next 3 weeks to get healthy.

Why not us?

*expect a temporary derailment of the train should we lose to GW or Joes, but then an immediate shift into overdrive back on the tracks once the tourney starts. OPTIMISM!

**per usual I take zero responsibility for my reaction should we drop 3 in a row and get bounced in the first round. BUT THAT'S NOT GONNA HAPPEN. OPTIMISM!
Too soon?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”