A10 Tournament March 3-14 2021

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

A10 Tournament March 3-14 2021

Unread post by ramster »

Current A10 Standings Feb 16:

URI currently the 10th Seed
In 1st round Seed 14 plays Seed 11, Seed 13 plays Seed 12

Seed 10 would play the Seed 7 Team in the 2nd round, so as of today URI would play Dayton.

VCU, Davidson, Saint Louis and Duquesne all on good win streaks. St Joseph's and URI on bad losing streaks.

1-VCU (8-2) (15-4) W5
2-Davidson (6-2) (10-5) W4
3-UMass (6-2) (7-4) W2
4-St. Bonaventure (8-3) (10-3) L1
5-Richmond (4-2) (11-4) W2
6-Saint Louis (3-2) (10-3) W3
7-Dayton (7-5) (11-6) L1
8-Duquesne (6-5) (7-6) W3
9-George Mason 5-6 9-8 W1
10-Rhode Island (6-8) (9-12) L4
11-George Washington (2-3) (3-9) L2
12-La Salle (5-8) (8-12) L2
13-Fordham (2-11) (2-11) L2
14-Saint Joseph's (0-9) (1-14) L9
Last edited by ramster 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: A10 Tournament March 2021

Unread post by ramster »

Preseason Coaches A10 Poll

PRESEASON POLL
1. Richmond (19) 380
2. Saint Louis (7) 364
3. Dayton (2) 318
4. St. Bonaventure 307
5. Duquesne 278
6. Rhode Island 246
7. Davidson 229
8. Massachusetts 192
9. VCU 175
10. George Mason 133
11. George Washington 113
12. Saint Joseph’s 85
13. La Salle 80
14. Fordham 40
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: A10 Tournament March 3-14 2021

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
Urifan91
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Urifan91 »

If Rhody can beat both GW and DUQ then they likely move up to 8th and I think would possibly play one of those two again, or maybe GMU to start the tournament.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

If I am reading all of this scheduling changes correctly, this really helps a banged up team and a short bench team (like us)compared to the previous years 4 games in 4 nights A10 tournaments.

Our current schedule would be Feb 21 gw then feb 27 Duquesne 6 days off

Game 1 of tourney March 4 5 days off

then March 4, 5,6

then March 14 for the championship game.

Odds still against us, BUT , scheduling definetely helps us. Also gives Cox a real opportunity to have the time to develop and implement game plans. We will see.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Seeding the A-10 Tourney is going to be fun.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Remaining Games:

0 Games: Fordham
1 Game: None
2 Games: VCU, UMASS, Dayton, George Mason, Duquesne, URI, LaSalle, St Joseph's
3 Games: Davidson, Richmond, Saint Louis, George Washington
4 Games: St Bonaventure,

1- VCU (9-3): Saint Louis, @ Davidson
2- Davidson (6-2): @ St Bonaventure, St Bonaventure, VCU
3- UMASS (6-2): @ Richmond, @ Saint Louis
4- St Bonaventure (8-3): Davidson, @ Davidson, @ George Washington, Dayton
5- Richmond (5-3): UMASS, @ Saint Louis, St Joseph's
6- Dayton (8-6): St Joseph's, @ St Bonaventure
7- Saint Louis (5-3): @ VCU, Richmond, UMASS
8- George Mason (6-6): George Washington, LaSalle
9- Duquesne (6-6): @ LaSalle, URI
10- URI (7-8): @ GW, @ Duquesne
11- George Washington (2-3): URI, @ George Mason, St Bonaventure
12- LaSalle (5-10): Duquesne, @ George Mason
13- Fordham (2-11):
14- St Joseph's (1-9): Dayton, @ Richmond
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Seeding for teams that play fewer than 60 percent of the median number of conference games among the league's 14 teams will be done according to the NCAA's NET ranking...

According to my primitive calculations, the median will be 13.5.
GW looks like they'll play 8 games, which is less than 8.1 (60 percent of 13.5).
How the league decides to seed the Colonials based on their NET, with the other 13 teams getting seeded according to wins and losses, is beyond me.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

rhodyrudder wrote: 3 years ago Seeding for teams that play fewer than 60 percent of the median number of conference games among the league's 14 teams will be done according to the NCAA's NET ranking...

GW looks like they'll play 8 games, which is less than 8.1 (60 percent of 13.5).
How the league decides to seed the Colonials based on their NET, with the other 13 teams getting seeded according to wins and losses, is beyond me.
Why not do win percentage? It's the fairest way I can think of. What if SLU (for example) never got a game in, or was 1-1, but had the highest NET? Is it fair for them to be the #1 seed? No. Something else needs to be done.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

rhodyrudder wrote: 3 years ago Seeding for teams that play fewer than 60 percent of the median number of conference games among the league's 14 teams will be done according to the NCAA's NET ranking...

Probably between La Salle and Fordham as the 12th seed
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

All of the following is based on everyone playing their remaining scheduled games

If we lose to Duquesne we are either the 10th seed or we can move up to 9th if St. Louis loses all of their remaining games (tomorrow at VCU, Friday vs. Richmond, Monday vs. UMass)

If we win against Duquesne we are still probably the 10th seed, but we can move up with help. We can pass St. Louis, Duquesne (Wednesday at La Salle, Saturday vs. us), George Mason (Wednesday vs. George Washington, Saturday vs. La Salle), and Richmond (tomorrow vs. UMass, Friday at St. Louis, Monday vs. St. Joe's) but the only way we could pass each school is for them to lose out along with our win. So in theory if my math is right we could still get as high as 7th (there's no way for both St. Louis and Richmond to both lose out)

St. Bonaventure, VCU, UMass, Davidson, and Dayton are all guaranteed to have better winning percentages than us.
Whoever wins the St. Louis and Richmond game will be ahead of us.
7. Win plus Duquesne loses their other game, George Mason loses out, and whoever loses the St. Louis and Richmond game loses their other two games
8. Win plus two out of the three lose out
9. Win and one out of the three lose out OR lose and St. Louis loses out
10. Win but the other teams win at least one of their remaining games OR lose if St. Louis wins one of their remaining three games
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Does it really matter? Who thinks this team is winning 3 or 4 straight games? I mean sure it could happen, and I would be ecstatic, but no. First we have a coach who calls a TO anytime we get on a run, or just for shits and giggles, when we score a basket. Second, he will never call a TO when the other team is on a run. Third, Walker is out at the 4 minute mark, it's just a guarantee. When it's crunch time, coach will put in Betrand to shoot an airball 3. Then Carey will have his debut to turn the ball over. And, just to make the cake complete, he will slow the game down in the final minutes when we are down a couple points to give the advantage to the opposing team.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Does it really matter? No, not particularly. I'm just goofing around with stuff while listening to a podcast
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

We have to do something, waiting for the axe to fall.

We're getting into the gallows humor part of the year.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

All of the following is based on everyone playing their remaining scheduled games and George Washington getting slotted into the bottom four based on NET due to not playing enough games after last night's Richmond and St. Louis games.

If we lose to Duquesne we are either the 10th seed or we can move up to 9th if St. Louis loses both of their remaining games (Friday vs. Richmond, Monday vs. UMass)

If we win against Duquesne we are still probably the 10th seed, but we can move up with help. We can pass St. Louis, Duquesne (Wednesday at La Salle, Saturday vs. us), and George Mason (Wednesday vs. George Washington, Saturday vs. La Salle) but the only way we could pass each school is for them to lose out along with our win.

St. Bonaventure, VCU, UMass, Davidson, Dayton, and Richmond are all guaranteed to have better winning percentages than us.
7. Win plus Duquesne loses their other game, George Mason and St. Louis lose out
10. Win but the other teams win at least one of their remaining games OR lose if St. Louis wins one of their remaining three games
0 x
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago All of the following is based on everyone playing their remaining scheduled games and George Washington getting slotted into the bottom four based on NET due to not playing enough games after last night's Richmond and St. Louis games.

If we lose to Duquesne we are either the 10th seed or we can move up to 9th if St. Louis loses both of their remaining games (Friday vs. Richmond, Monday vs. UMass)

If we win against Duquesne we are still probably the 10th seed, but we can move up with help. We can pass St. Louis, Duquesne (Wednesday at La Salle, Saturday vs. us), and George Mason (Wednesday vs. George Washington, Saturday vs. La Salle) but the only way we could pass each school is for them to lose out along with our win.

St. Bonaventure, VCU, UMass, Davidson, Dayton, and Richmond are all guaranteed to have better winning percentages than us.
7. Win plus Duquesne loses their other game, George Mason and St. Louis lose out
So if LaSalle beats Duquesne this afternoon, we control our own destiny for the 9 seed?
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

In all honesty, if we can avoid St. Louis in the first game and somehow get VCU in the second game it is not an impossible path to the semis.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Joe95 wrote: 3 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago All of the following is based on everyone playing their remaining scheduled games and George Washington getting slotted into the bottom four based on NET due to not playing enough games after last night's Richmond and St. Louis games.

So if LaSalle beats Duquesne this afternoon, we control our own destiny for the 9 seed?
Yes. If Duquesne loses today and we beat them Saturday our A10 winning percentage would be .471 and theirs would be .429
0 x
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago In all honesty, if we can avoid St. Louis in the first game and somehow get VCU in the second game it is not an impossible path to the semis.
Agree 100% I would love to avoid that St Louis matchup at all costs. I think getting the nine seed would put us in a better position. Especially if we can possibly have a shot at VCU second round.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Joe95 wrote: 3 years ago
rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago In all honesty, if we can avoid St. Louis in the first game and somehow get VCU in the second game it is not an impossible path to the semis.
Agree 100% I would love to avoid that St Louis matchup at all costs. I think getting the nine seed would put us in a better position. Especially if we can possibly have a shot at VCU second round.
Doesn't make a difference at this point what the pairings are or who we play.

i wouldn't mind getting the toughest draw immediately, probably put us out of our misery early. we would have to win all our games regardless.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

If we get St Louis first game its ova baby for us
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

reef wrote: 3 years ago If we get St Louis first game its ova baby for us
I am convinced the person who runs Magic Johnson's twitter account also runs reefs account on here.
0 x
Go Rhody
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

It will all be over soon.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Actually, considering our pattern this season, we are due for a win, and that can happen against anyone in this league.
0 x
GO RAMS
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We might win Sunday, or the first tourney game.

Not both.

If we were to win the 1st tourney game and then get VCU.....maybe a win there.

That's as optimistic as I can get right now.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The URI stay in Richmond is likely to be pretty short and not memorable. Will probably miss out on nearly all the league awards and lose early.
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

RF1 wrote: 3 years ago The URI stay in Richmond is likely to be pretty short and not memorable. Will probably miss out on nearly all the league awards and lose early.
No COY?
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rhodyrudder wrote: 3 years ago
RF1 wrote: 3 years ago The URI stay in Richmond is likely to be pretty short and not memorable. Will probably miss out on nearly all the league awards and lose early.
No COY?
Even though it is close I would pick Mike Rhoades over Schmidt as COY at this time. VCU over achieved this year after being preseason picked at #9.
They also lost their top big man Santos-Silva to TT. The Bonnies were expected to do well and picked at #4. Much can change though in the next week.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago
No COY?
Even though it is close I would pick Mike Rhoades over Schmidt as COY at this time. VCU over achieved this year after being preseason picked at #9.
They also lost their top big man Santos-Silva to TT. The Bonnies were expected to do well and picked at #4. Much can change though in the next week.
VCU only picked 9th because they completely under-achieved last year when they were picked to finish near the top of the league. I expect RHODY will be picked no higher than 8th going into next year. Schmidt is the better coach and does so with less heralded players than VCU.
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Only thing I can say is that URI is seemingly healthy as of now, and Fatts himself seems to be much better. That's all I got. Not expecting much.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago

No COY?
VCU only picked 9th because they completely under-achieved last year when they were picked to finish near the top of the league. I expect RHODY will be picked no higher than 8th going into next year. Schmidt is the better coach and does so with less heralded players than VCU.
VCU did disappoint last year, but after losing Santos-Silva and graduating seniors: Vann, Evans, Jenkins, and Simms their team this year was very young and inexperienced, with several new faces playing prominent roles.
The Bonnies have the better, and much more seasoned roster than VCU this year.
Either Rhoades or Schmidt would be the likely choices, but I feel Rhoades is more deserving at this time.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Schmidt gets the most out of his talent.

This season, Rhoades has done the same.

You see these things and wonder why not us?

Not so lucky.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

All of the following is based on everyone playing their remaining scheduled games after last night's Duquesne and George Mason games. After last night, seventh place is officially off the board.

If we lose to Duquesne we are either the 10th seed or we can move up to 9th if St. Louis loses both of their remaining games (tomorrow vs. Richmond, Monday vs. UMass)

If we win against Duquesne we are the 9th seed, but we can move up to 8 with St. Louis losing out.

St. Bonaventure, VCU, UMass, Davidson, Dayton, Richmond, and George Mason are all guaranteed to have better winning percentages than us.

8. Win plus St. Louis loses out
9. Win and St. Louis wins at least one more game OR lose and St. Louis loses out
10. Lose and St. Louis wins one of their remaining games
1 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Good work Rhody Ram 02 . It doesn't really matter obviously if you are 8 or 9 of course since 8 plays 9 anyway and you both get the first day off. so, if
URI wins they will play Duquesne . I Uri loses it looks like they will play Dayton . In either scenario URI could just as easily win or lose the way this season is going for all teams involved. so if they are able to win their first game it looks like URI would play St. Bonaventure if they are 8 or9 or if they finish 10
and beat Dayton , they would play VCU . another win would net you the winner of 4/5 or 3/6 in the semi and another win gets you the winner of
2/3 if you were 9 or 8 or 1/2 if you were 10 . There is no super dominant team in the field , probably anyone 1 through 10 has a fair chance with the
advantage to the first 4 who get double byes . but if those teams lose then it it becomes wide open . right now the Bonnies and VCU are playing the best
but neither is a sure thing in any of their match ups . The same goes for Davidson, Richmond and so on and so forth . We shall see . I consider the
seeding somewhat of a joke because not all teams have even played each other and there is a disparity of games played at home versus away schedules . SLU will have played mostly at home (6 of 10) as will GW at 5 of 8 home while Dayton will have played 9 of16 road games . The Bonnies will have played an equal amount at home and away (7-7)as will VCU . Davidson will have played 6 of 11 at home and Richmond will play 6 of 11 at home . URI
will have played 9 of 17 on the road. UMASS was 5-5 home vs road games . so all around you have hardly any apples to apples record comparisons . You might want to say this is an excuse , but we all know what a difference it makes to play at home vs on the road . It looks like Dayton is getting the worst of this rescheduling mess.
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

With the tournament being moved up, this Rhody season has the potential to just end so strangely. If they don’t make it to the championship game, their season will just be over, done with, while other teams are still playing regular season games.
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

ace wrote: 3 years ago With the tournament being moved up, this Rhody season has the potential to just end so strangely. If they don’t make it to the championship game, their season will just be over, done with, while other teams are still playing regular season games.
I don’t think the timeline of it will be that odd. Our tournament is moved up but it’s not like it’s a month before others
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

from gorhody.com today

SEASON FINALE WILL IMPACT POSTSEASON SEEDING

Heading into Friday, Rhode Island could still finish anywhere from eighth to 11th in the Atlantic 10 standings.
  • If URI wins, Saint Louis loses its two remaining games and GW loses to the Bonnies, Rhody finishes eighth.
  • If URI wins, Saint Louis wins either game and GW loses to St. Bonaventure, Rhody would be the ninth seed.
  • If URI beats Duquesne, Saint Louis wins either of its games and GW beats the Bonnies, Rhody will the 10th seed.
  • If URI loses to Duquesne, Saint Louis wins either of its remaining games and George Washington wins at St. Bonaventure, Rhody will be the 11th seed and play on the opening day of the Atlantic 10 Championship.
  • If George Washington loses to St. Bonaventure Friday, URI can finish no worse than 10th.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

My guess is 9th seed.
0 x
GO RAMS
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

GW not beating Bonnies so thankfully we won’t be seed 11
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Exciting to be hoping for a 9th seed
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

If we get 9 who most likely 8 ??
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The excitement level is off the charts....yawn
1 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

If we can hand vcu another bad loss, it would make my day
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yes beating VCU is my best case scenario I can’t stand that team
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

reef wrote: 3 years ago Yes beating VCU is my best case scenario I can’t stand that team
Me, too. Mostly because they're usually good, their fans travel and are loud. :mrgreen:
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......yeah, sometimes our fans have trouble getting to like......the Dump......but that is another convo......sorry.......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Random thought, Rhody needs an alternate Jersey that reads “RAMS” on the front line VCU. Sharp looking.
0 x
GO RAMS
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

VCU locked into the 2 seed now ???
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

So looks like the 10 seed for us ?? Who will we play most likely ??
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

reef wrote: 3 years ago So looks like the 10 seed for us ?? Who will we play most likely ??
Either SLU or George Mason would take Mason in a heart beat but in reality we’ll lose to both
0 x