Game #22, Senior Night: Rams v Dayton Flyers, Tuesday Feb 16, 7pm CBSSN

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Game #22, Senior Night: Rams v Dayton Flyers, Tuesday Feb 16, 7pm CBSSN

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

University of Rhode Island vs University of Dayton
Ryan Center, Kingston
Tuesday, February 16, 2021
7:00PM

Media
TV: CBSSN
Online: CBSSN
Radio: 101.5 FM (B101) or Tune In Radio App

Previews:
Dayton’s Fan Forum
Another Dayton’s Fan Forum
Blackburn Review

Senior night for Fatts and Jeremy, although as we have heard, the NCAA would grant a request by either player for an extra year.
I haven't heard plans from the athletic department about what kind of ceremony they'll have...
Say what you want, but these kids deserve to be recognized.
Just one more thing that we are all missing due to COVID.
My personal messages to each:

Fatts: It has truly been a pleasure to watch you play these last four years. Thank you for everything that you have done for the school, the team, and the fans!!! It has been heartbreaking to see you struggle with multiple injuries this year, but notwithstanding any of them, you have shown excellence, leadership, heart and toughness. You deserved so much more during your senior year, and you will not be easily forgotten. I only hope that we will be able to cheer for you again soon at the Ryan Center (if not while you are playing, then at least during halftime of a sold-out home game next year).

Jeremy: Your play this year has been outstanding! Thank you for your hard work, and congratulations on all of your accomplishments. I only wish I could have seen some of them in person, but your efforts have not gone unnoticed by anyone associated with the program. You would most certainly be welcomed back with open arms by all of us, should you decide that another year of college is in your best interests. Lots of us on the board would undoubtedly jump at the chance to be back on campus for one more year :D , but I, for one, will support whatever decision you make.

Wear a Mask & Go Rhody!

Opponent
Record:
11-6, 7-5 in the Atlantic 10
Last season: 29-2, 18-0 in the Atlantic 10

Rankings (URI):
KenPom: 84 (75)
NCAA NET: 91 (89)

Leaders:
Points – Jalen Crutcher 18.7 (Sr., G)
Rebounds – Jordy Tshimanga 8.1 (Sr., G)
Assists – Jalen Crutcher 4.8 (Sr., G) (3.0 TO per game)

Historical
Series: 17-22
H: 9-7, A: 7-11, N: 1-4
Most Recent Matchup: 1/30/21 67-56 L at UD
Most Recent Win Streak: 3 – Dayton

By the way: apologies to spookydog for stealing your thunder...I just wanted to get the thread started and give some love to the seniors.
Your threads have been great all year, and I obviously did little more than cut and paste much of this.
Last edited by rhodyrudder 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
8 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: Game #22, Senior Night: Rams v Dayton Flyers, Tuesday Feb 16, 7pm CBSSN

Unread post by reef »

Could be a war , I am expecting a close game either way
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Not expecting a win here, especially with the way our team has been trending.

Dayton has a strong, balanced , starting 5 but very thin bench due to a roster that has been decimated by injuries.
Crutcher and Watson form arguably the best guard duo in the conference.
They have a big frontcourt with Jordy and Amzil, and the transfer Weaver is fitting in nicely at the wing.

Mustapha Amzil has been a bright spot for them filling in for Chase. He is one of the most talented and top freshman bigs in the A10 with unlimited potential. He can stretch the floor with his range and has nice moves in the paint.

If we don't improve on our dismal shooting performance (37%fg, 22%3pt) against them last time we certainly have no chance of winning.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rankings: Dayton (URI):
RPI: 84 (139)
KenPom: 83 (75)
NCAA NET: 93 (92)
BPI: 38 (82)
Sagarin: 56 (84)
Last edited by ramster 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I hope they let more people in for this one, including family and friends. Every game has been winnable, including this one.
0 x
GO RAMS
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago I hope they let more people in for this one, including family and friends. Every game has been winnable, including this one.
As of now RI isn't allowing fans for outdoor sporting events, I don't see any way they'll allow anyone in for this one on Tuesday
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

ramster wrote: 3 years ago Rankings: Dayton (URI):
KenPom: 48 (74)
Thanks Ramster...
I didn't do all of these, but I still see 75 Rhody v 83 on KenPom with their current records being accurate, so I'm just not sure where you got your data.
The other I did was NET, and I got it right from the NCAA website.
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Rudder, is it really senior night if Neil isn't there? Maybe Koch can smuggle him in just for this game?
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago I hope they let more people in for this one, including family and friends. Every game has been winnable, including this one.
As of now RI isn't allowing fans for outdoor sporting events, I don't see any way they'll allow anyone in for this one on Tuesday
I don't understand that. As of this week, I can buy a pint at a 20' by 20' bar in RI, but family can't sit 30 feet from their sons and brothers playing their final game at home in a large arena? Hate these rules. Nevermind the fact that other states have allowed thousands into games.
4 x
GO RAMS
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Bos8 wrote: 3 years ago Rudder, is it really senior night if Neil isn't there? Maybe Koch can smuggle him in just for this game?
:(

Is it really a home game if I'm not there?
Or Blue Man, or hundreds of others?
Or Rod (God rest his soul)?
Jim Norman?

I offered my services to Thorr at the beginning of the year...
I would sing the anthem, sweep the floor...anything.
He said he couldn't even get his wife into games.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodyrudder wrote: 3 years ago
ramster wrote: 3 years ago Rankings: Dayton (URI):
KenPom: 48 (74)
Thanks Ramster...
I didn't do all of these, but I still see 75 Rhody v 83 on KenPom with their current records being accurate, so I'm just not sure where you got your data.
The other I did was NET, and I got it right from the NCAA website.
fixed it. Thanks.
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

I would like to thank Fatts for beating PC and
schooling Trae Young as a Freshman; 41 on the road at St. Joe's as a Sophomore; 30 against VCU, 18.8 ppg, 2.9 steals and Division 1 player of the year as a Junior, and playing on an injured foot, ankle, thigh and who knows what else as a Senior. I will always remember the many times he electrified a sold-out RC with a steal and floor-length dash through an entire team of defenders, nailed a deep 3 to ice a game (yes, this actually did happen) and drained free throws at the buzzer to win the game. He has the heart of a lion and the explosiveness of a cheetah. Thanks for all the phenomenal.memories Fatts!
8 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago
I don't understand that. As of this week, I can buy a pint at a 20' by 20' bar in RI, but family can't sit 30 feet from their sons and brothers playing their final game at home in a large arena? Hate these rules. Nevermind the fact that other states have allowed thousands into games.
No shit. Our daughter had a bball game visiting at RIC today; in a "normal" year there might be 50 fans at a D3 women's bball game. Plenty of room to social distance. Yet they couldn't possibly allow a couple parents per player to attend. We called and asked. Yet they allow parents at my 8th grade niece's games in NC.

Really frustrating as a parent that wants to attend their kid's game.
2 x
Mobley was fouled.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

RI_Bred wrote: 3 years ago

No shit. Our daughter had a bball game visiting at RIC today; in a "normal" year there might be 50 fans at a D3 women's bball game. Plenty of room to social distance. Yet they couldn't possibly allow a couple parents per player to attend. We called and asked. Yet they allow parents at my 8th grade niece's games in NC.

If you voted for any dem in RI, you have nothing to bitch about.
4 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago
RI_Bred wrote: 3 years ago

If you voted for any dem in RI, you have nothing to bitch about.
I would never, but that's a different conversation entirely!
3 x
Mobley was fouled.
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Frustrating- going into this year, 51 out of 53 Senior nights. Nice job by the posters on this site. How many times have you watched “the steal and the three in Pittsburgh”. I was there, it was magical. I guess I’ve watched it over a hundred times. I will be there in spirit on Tuesday. Go Rhody! And thanks Fatts!!!
4 x
DigB
Michael Andersen

Unread post by DigB »

I like to compare / contrast Tyson Wheeler and Fatts Russel. Both had similar freshman years. Volatility in both coaching staff and roster impacted Fatts more. Regardless, Fatts stuck with the program and led URI and nation in many categories. Thank you Fatts for giving us a leader on the court.
1 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Let's hope Dayton forgets to play a zone against us which will give us a chance to beat their ass.
0 x
RI_Rams
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RI_Rams »

Just take care of business, that is all we can hope for. What is done is done. But what we have left we can only work with and hopefully make a run in the A10 Tournament.
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

neil wrote: 3 years ago Frustrating- going into this year, 51 out of 53 Senior nights. Nice job by the posters on this site. How many times have you watched “the steal and the three in Pittsburgh”. I was there, it was magical. I guess I’ve watched it over a hundred times. I will be there in spirit on Tuesday. Go Rhody! And thanks Fatts!!!
"Ohhhhhh don't do it to him like that Fatts!"

If I saw that in person my head would have exploded. That's the moment Fatts became FATTS.
3 x
gazakaza
Steve Chubin

Unread post by gazakaza »

PeteRI wrote: 3 years ago
neil wrote: 3 years ago Frustrating- going into this year, 51 out of 53 Senior nights. Nice job by the posters on this site. How many times have you watched “the steal and the three in Pittsburgh”. I was there, it was magical. I guess I’ve watched it over a hundred times. I will be there in spirit on Tuesday. Go Rhody! And thanks Fatts!!!
"Ohhhhhh don't do it to him like that Fatts!"

If I saw that in person my head would have exploded. That's the moment Fatts became FATTS.
I’m pretty sure I almost feel off of the first row of the upper level with that 3 in Pittsburgh. Place was electric.
2 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

I was in an aisle seat and jumped up as the ball went in and sort of tripped and almost took a header down the aisle. Other than a game winning shot that play is probably the most electric in the history of URI basketball.
There is not anything like winning the first game of the NCAA tournament. Believe me the next 36-48 hours cannot be any better. I have been lucky enough to attend all of our NCAA tournament wins and cannot wait for the next opportunity.
3 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

You would have fallen over me in the aisle Eli! Watch yourself. And agree nothing like basking in a win for 2 days at the tourney. We’ll do it again soon (I hope).
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Agree kind of like those ally oops from Garrick to Green in the 88 Cuse game incredible feeling
2 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

reef wrote: 3 years ago Agree kind of like those ally oops from Garrick to Green in the 88 Cuse game incredible feeling
Reef that was electric because all the Duke fans were cheering us on and it felt like a home game at the Dean Dome. I remember getting home from that trip and throwing in the vcr tape to hear what it sounded like.
Musberger " Evans with the rebound up to Garrick Alley oop to Green, how do you do!!!!!"
2 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

When i think of Fatts I will forever think of this for the rest of my life...
(I only have two liked tweets & this is one of them)

4 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

When fatts stole the ball, for a split second I was angry because there was no one under the basket. The replay shows two rams heading for the basket. Strong chance we would have made the follow up.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I’m 5 rows up on the aisle. What an awesome moment. Often overlooked is how smooth and nasty the move was by EC for the 3 before the steal.
3 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

EC also broke Young’s angle at some point for a three, second best play of the game.
1 x
GO RAMS
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago EC also broke Young’s angle at some point for a three, second best play of the game.
That EC play was with just under 2 minutes left in OT. HUGE made shot.
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago EC also broke Young’s angle at some point for a three, second best play of the game.
EC also almost broke some poor kid from Davidson's ankle on a deke before making a thunderous slam. That was the moment I knew he was all the way back from his injury. If anyone has video of that I'd watch it another 100 times.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

PeteRI wrote: 3 years ago
EC also almost broke some poor kid from Davidson's ankle on a deke before making a thunderous slam. That was the moment I knew he was all the way back from his injury. If anyone has video of that I'd watch it another 100 times.

You can type it into YouTube and see it.
0 x
Go Rhody
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

spookydog wrote: 3 years ago When i think of Fatts I will forever think of this for the rest of my life...
(I only have two liked tweets & this is one of them)

:)

4 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Great stuff from Bill here on Fatts.

2 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Selfishly, I keep thinking that in normal times, I would be at tonight’s game to watch my daughter’s last game as a Ramette. I guess that actually it would have been the Fordham game, because in a normal year, that game wouldn’t have been moved.
Naturally, I did not envision this scenario when she first joined the team. I realize many people have had much worse issues than this, but it still sucks.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

JimSidd wrote: 3 years ago Selfishly, I keep thinking that in normal times, I would be at tonight’s game to watch my daughter’s last game as a Ramette. I guess that actually it would have been the Fordham game, because in a normal year, that game wouldn’t have been moved.
Naturally, I did not envision this scenario when she first joined the team. I realize many people have had much worse issues than this, but it still sucks.
It's a shame that they couldn't sit immediate family members of the Team, Band, Ramette's, Staff, etc in the Ryan Center even if just for today's game.
Sit families (they would be together at home anyway) together in the Ryan Center spaced far away from the team and from one another.

Families could cheer and take pictures.

People are back to work, restaurants have people eating in them, malls have traffic, stores are open.

The State could give vaccine to the parents of the players, parents of the cheerleaders and band members. Rhode Island leads the nation in percent of their vaccine NOT given yet. These would be great arms to put the vaccine into and nobody needs to know - or course it would have needed to have happened already. For that matter, give vaccine all of the College Basketball Players and Coaches.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago
JimSidd wrote: 3 years ago Selfishly, I keep thinking that in normal times, I would be at tonight’s game to watch my daughter’s last game as a Ramette. I guess that actually it would have been the Fordham game, because in a normal year, that game wouldn’t have been moved.
It's a shame that they couldn't sit immediate family members of the Team, Band, Ramette's, Staff, etc in the Ryan Center even if just for today's game.
Sit families (they would be together at home anyway) together in the Ryan Center spaced far away from the team and from one another.

People are back to work, restaurants have people eating in them, malls have traffic, stores are open.

The State could give vaccine to the parents of the players, parents of the cheerleaders and band members. Rhode Island leads the nation in percent of their vaccine NOT given yet. These would be great arms to put the vaccine into and nobody needs to know - or course it would have needed to have happened already. For that matter, give vaccine all of the College Basketball Players and Coaches.
It's actually ridiculous that with the amount of square footage in the Ryan Center you can't get those aforementioned people in the building. Regardless of how this season has gone - players, cheerleaders, ramettes, band kids - everyone who gave a part of their college experience to make the whole experience better for everyone deserved the chance to put on a show in front of their loved ones one last time.

Shame that if they went to school in another state they'd actually have that opportunity.

Happy almost 1 year of "2 weeks to flatten the curve."
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Fatts posted "One more time at the ryan center" so take that as confirmation for those of you holding onto some kind of hope for him next year lol
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rhodysurf wrote: 3 years ago Fatts posted "One more time at the ryan center" so take that as confirmation for those of you holding onto some kind of hope for him next year lol
Also posted a UConn highlight of Tyrese...👀👀👀

I’m just sayin!
2 x
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Big big yikes on this vaccine comment.
1 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Regarding the vaccine, we are ranked #50 in almost every category.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago Regarding the vaccine, we are ranked #50 in almost every category.
That would also mean giving to Bryant and PC.

Absolute nonstarter to think our team and others should skip the line and get the vaccine over others in the state.
0 x
Go Rhody
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Pathetic job RI.

CT is doing a lot better, and would be even better if there was more vaccine available.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Love you Fatts! The longest and loudest standing ovation tonight will be coming from my living room. Go out there tonight and put up 50 shots if you feel like it!
5 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

adam914 wrote: 3 years ago Love you Fatts! The longest and loudest standing ovation tonight will be coming from my living room. Go out there tonight and put up 50 shots if you feel like it!
For everyone who has shit on Fatts this year, some justified some not, we’ll all miss him next year.

Since Hurley was here, we’ve always had 1/2 players who could single handily take over a game (Munford, EC, Hassan, Jared, Jeff, Fatts.) With Fatts gone, I don’t see us having that player for a while now. He certainly isn’t on this team.
0 x
Go Rhody
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Fatts has given us good memories.

Things could have been different concerning him this year.

He could have been healthy...and he could have gotten some good coaching direction.....he's had neither.
3 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago

Big big yikes on this vaccine comment.
Agreed. We shouldn't be giving vaccines so people can be fans in stands as part of the criteria. This ignores the fact that many that would be taking part in festivities would be coming from out of state and Ri definitely shouldn't be giving vaccines to out of staters before Riers
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Here's a question. Does it matter if Fatts/Shep have made a decision about next year when acknowledging their "senior" status tonight?
0 x
GO RAMS
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Fatts has given us good memories.

Things could have been different concerning him this year.

He could have been healthy...and he could have gotten some good coaching direction.....he's had neither.
It's always going to piss me off that Dowtin, Langevine, and Russell didn't go to the tournament as upperclassmen and that Russell only want as a bench player. An important contributor who played solid minutes, but a bench player none the less.

He's currently 17th all time in URI history for points, 10th in free throw percentage, 8th in assists and 2nd for steals, needing just 2 for sole first place. There's a convincing argument to be made that he's a top ten player all time here. There's not a person here who wouldn't have signed up for that the day he committed here, and yet it feels like there's something missing. Maybe it's just me, maybe it's the lack of a tournament bid as a starter, maybe it's the lack of consistency, maybe he didn't have a coach for most of his time here to push him to play as part of a team instead of letting him be the team, but it certainly doesn't feel like he was a top ten all time player.

As the years go by I'm going to remember the day to day struggles of the team less and remember his highlights more, but I think the last three years of Fatts Russell will always be a great what if in Rhody history
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago Regarding the vaccine, we are ranked #50 in almost every category.
That would also mean giving to Bryant and PC.

Absolute nonstarter to think our team and others should skip the line and get the vaccine over others in the state.
We are ranked #50 by Harvard University!
Half the RI vaccine is not in arms.
But we spend more time thinking about how to do it than doing it.
2 x