Fatts injury status

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Fatts injury status

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Any update on what his injury is and how serious it is?
0 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: Fatts injury status

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

SandorClegane wrote: 3 years ago Any update on what his injury is and how serious it is?
He has several.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Wish we could force him to just heal up. Get him healed for a A-10 tournament run.
1 x
TrevlontRook3
Steve Chubin

Unread post by TrevlontRook3 »

Loved that after VCU hit the triple before half Fatts was the first guy coming on the court, showing leadership even when he’s stuck on the bench
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

I am glad they are letting him heal a bit.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Fatts was definitely doing well supporting the guys let’s hope he comes back soon
1 x
TrevlontRook3
Steve Chubin

So with this covid pass they’re doing this year any China’s we see Fatts come back for a 5th year? What’s the deal with it anyways? This year doesn’t count as an actual year of eligibility but teams just need to make sure they have a scholarship to retain someone like Fatts along with him still needing to be enrolled as an undergrad or grad?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

TrevlontRook3 wrote: 3 years ago So with this covid pass they’re doing this year any China’s we see Fatts come back for a 5th year? What’s the deal with it anyways? This year doesn’t count as an actual year of eligibility but teams just need to make sure they have a scholarship to retain someone like Fatts along with him still needing to be enrolled as an undergrad or grad?
Returning seniors this year don’t count against scholarship limit
1 x
TrevlontRook3
Steve Chubin

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago
TrevlontRook3 wrote: 3 years ago So with this covid pass they’re doing this year any China’s we see Fatts come back for a 5th year? What’s the deal with it anyways? This year doesn’t count as an actual year of eligibility but teams just need to make sure they have a scholarship to retain someone like Fatts along with him still needing to be enrolled as an undergrad or grad?

So just to be clear he could return without it affecting the roster basically and any thoughts on him coming back?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

TrevlontRook3 wrote: 3 years ago

So just to be clear he could return without it affecting the roster basically and any thoughts on him coming back?

For the one millionth time, every player in America has an extra year of eligibility. That means, every senior can play next year if they so choose.

How do so many people still not know that this deep into the season when it's been posted in every single thread for the last 4 months?
0 x
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago

For the one millionth time, every player in America has an extra year of eligibility. That means, every senior can play next year if they so choose.

How do so many people still not know that this deep into the season when it's been posted in every single thread for the last 4 months?
15 I think he was referring if it would affect the scholarship count and the answer is no.
It is extremely doubtful he will return here.
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Fatts isn't going to get any taller, unfortunately, so I don't think he's going to substantially help or hurt his pro status with another year. So, I think it's mostly up to what he wants in his life. He turns 23 in May, and as someone who was on the five-year plan at URI, I kind of wanted to GTFO and I didn't even have a six-figure basketball contract waiting for me. So what I guess I'm saying when it comes to him and Sheppard, I would be pleasantly surprised if either of them stayed, but I don't begrudge them for leaving either.
4 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

15 I think he was referring if it would affect the scholarship count and the answer is no.

I'll call it now. Hurley, Fatts, Tyrese, and Adams will lead UConn to at least the Sweet 16 next year.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
2 x
Go Rhody
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

I'll call it now. Hurley, Fatts, Tyrese, and Adams will lead UConn to at least the Sweet 16 next year.

Please don't skewer me if I'm wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that if a senior were to take advantage of coming back next year, it had to be with the same team.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RhodyKyle wrote: 3 years ago

Please don't skewer me if I'm wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that if a senior were to take advantage of coming back next year, it had to be with the same team.

That I am unaware of, and don't recall seeing that anywhere. You could be 100% right, I just don't know.
0 x
Go Rhody
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

From a scholarship standpoint, it makes sense that they'd have to return to the same team. If a player "transfers", you'd think that would need to occupy a scholarship, otherwise it'll be the wild west (if it isn't already). Whereas if the player returns to the same team, there's no scholarship impact.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

That I am unaware of, and don't recall seeing that anywhere. You could be 100% right, I just don't know.
No it only has to be with the same team to not count against the team's scholarship totals. If a player transfers, their scholarship goes against the totals.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Talk about a thread going off subject . All I want to know is will Fatts be able to play against UMass on Saturday and if not what is the timeline on his return???
1 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago

No it only has to be with the same team to not count against the team's scholarship totals. If a player transfers, their scholarship goes against the totals.
Thanks BM
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Obadiah wrote: 3 years ago Talk about a thread going off subject . All I want to know is will Fatts be able to play against UMass on Saturday and if not what is the timeline on his return???
Probably day to day depending upon if he hopes the rest will help or what his pain tolerance is and decides to play through it.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Obadiah wrote: 3 years ago Talk about a thread going off subject . All I want to know is will Fatts be able to play against UMass on Saturday and if not what is the timeline on his return???
Probably day to day depending upon if he hopes the rest will help or what his pain tolerance is and decides to play through it.
Keep sitting him - I want him as close to 100% for the conference tournament a possible.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think if he feels ok send him out there v MasS
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Fatts will play when he decides he is ready and able.
This will probably be his last hurrah so why not.
Very doubtful he will return here or another school, got to think he wants to move on.
As it sits now, this team isn't going anywhere so why save him.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Save him because his injuries are impacting his performance. Let him recover as much as possible for the A10 Tournament.
Only chance URI has for an NCAA Bid is to win the A10 Tourney

Let Leggett and Sheppard gain additional experience playing together and leading the team. They were effective vs a strong VCU defensive team. See what they can do vs UMASS then at all important Saint Louis.

All roads go through Richmond Virginia in early March.

Forget individual statistics or the record book and win the A10.

Feb 6 Sat vs UMASS - 121 - ESPN2 - 8pm
Feb 10 Wed @ St Louis - 38 - CBSSN - TBA
Feb 13 Sat @ Davidson - 65 - ESPN+ 2pm
Feb 16 Tue vs Dayton - 90 - CBSSN - TBA
Mar 2 Tue @ St Joseph's - 267 - ESPN+ 6pm
4 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 3 years ago Save him because his injuries are impacting his performance. Let him recover as much as possible for the A10 Tournament.

Let Leggett and Sheppard gain additional experience playing together and leading the team. They were effective vs a strong VCU defensive team. See what they can do vs UMASS then at all important Saint Louis.

All roads go through Richmond Virginia in early March.

Forget individual statistics or the record book and win the A10.

Feb 6 Sat vs UMASS - 121 - ESPN2 - 8pm
Feb 10 Wed @ St Louis - 38 - CBSSN - TBA
Feb 13 Sat @ Davidson - 65 - ESPN+ 2pm
Feb 16 Tue vs Dayton - 90 - CBSSN - TBA
Mar 2 Tue @ St Joseph's - 267 - ESPN+ 6pm
Ramster, I understand your thought process in saving him for the tournament and that would be our only hope.
But looking at this team to win that tournament would seem highly unlikely, we are only average.
I feel the chances of us winning 4 straight games and against tough competition in that short period of time is like me winning the lottery, not.
Fatts is a senior, most likely his last year, if he is ready and able, it is his decision, and he should go out on his own terms.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......yes, go out on his terms, hopefully with a degree.......and the best virtual senior nite Athletics can come with......no?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

section(105) wrote: 3 years ago ......yes, go out on his terms, hopefully with a degree.......and the best virtual senior nite Athletics can come with......no?
Yes, it is a shame and a terrible year for these guys. That is why the players get a mulligan for this year and the NCAA allows the seniors to return to their graduating school without it counting against the scholarship limit.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Fatts needs 6 steals to become the all time leader at URI. I'm sure he wants that record. I'm sure Cox wants that record for him too. He can't get it if he sits. Then again, if he's playing hurt without his normal quickness, he might not get it anyway. The team is going nowhere. Let's get him the record.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Sadly I think there's no way we will sit Fatts long enough for him to heal up.

He will just tough it out and continue to be a shell of himself. Or he will aggravate it worse and we will lose him for the conference tournament!

At least sit him for UMass. We can beat UMass without him.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago Save him because his injuries are impacting his performance. Let him recover as much as possible for the A10 Tournament.

Why save him for what is likely to be just one or two probable A-10 tournament games? With or without him, this team is not advancing far. It will get a poor seed and will face the league's better teams early on. It is highly unlikely to get by any of them. if Fatts is feeling up to it and is cleared by the medical staff, he should play as soon as possible.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 3 years ago

Why save him for what is likely to be just one or two probable A-10 tournament games? With or without him, this team is not advancing far. It will get a poor seed and will face the league's better teams early on. It is highly unlikely to get by any of them. if Fatts is feeling up to it and is cleared by the medical staff, he should play as soon as possible.
I think this team can win the A10 Tournament
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago

I agree. This rams team is similar to the St. Joes or Davidson of the past who didn't have aa NCAA resume, but if hot, could run the table at the A10 tourney.
2 x
GO RAMS
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Wow Ramster, that is a bold statement and I usually seem to be more optimistic than you and my expectations aren't there.
I didn't think you felt this staff was capable of accomplishing it.
I guess anything is possible, but this team certainly needs to show me more than what we have seen.
2 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago Sadly I think there's no way we will sit Fatts long enough for him to heal up.

He will just tough it out and continue to be a shell of himself. Or he will aggravate it worse and we will lose him for the conference tournament!

This team didn't beat UMass with him
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago

I agree. This rams team is similar to the St. Joes or Davidson of the past who didn't have aa NCAA resume, but if hot, could run the table at the A10 tourney.
Absolutely, I don't understand this throwing in the towel attitude.

Narrow the line up from playing 10 guys. We already saw this with Sheppard playing all 40 minutes and Leggett playing 35 minutes vs VCU.
Finally put Leggett in the starting line up and keep him there - great step.
I'll put this starting 5 up against any A10 Team - no doubt in my mind this team can beat the likes of St Bonaventure, Saint Louis, VCU, Dayton, Davidson and others and win the whole enchilada.
Starting line up:
Mitchell - is playing like an All A10 Player - not 1st team yet, but he is making quick and continuous improvement strides . Minimizing his fouls is key to stay on the floor. Excellent shot blocker, rim protector and his rebounding continues to improve. Good passer as well. He could really open eyes with his play in March in the A10 Tournament. Potential to be All A10 Tournament Team.
Walker - excellent potential offensively and defensively. He will be motivated in the A10 Tournament. Guards need to feed him the ball. He looked good in the VCU game playing the high post at the foul line. Good passer, descent shooter, needs to reduce turnovers but a solid starting forward
Leggett - a warrior, a leader, a winner, a force on the offensive boards for rebounds. Nice shooting touch. If I'm going into battle I want this kid by my side. A solid A10 freshman - could make all rookie team now that he has earned a starting role
Sheppard - showed strong ability to bring the ball up the court vs VCU. 6 assists and only 1 turnover that occurred in the 2nd minute of the game. He played the last 38 minutes vs VCU with zero turnovers while handling the PG duties. High percentage shooter, can drive the lane, passes well
Russell - needs to be healthy obviously. If not, Sheppard and Leggett showed vs VCU they can handle the ball against one of the best defensive teams in the A10

Bench in order of playing time as A10 Tournament approaches imho:
Martin - excellent defensively and good shot blocker. Likely starter for A10 Tournament if Russell can't make a go of it.
Harris - has accepted his roll not starting this year with professionalism. Needed to back up Mitchell especially with Makhi out for the season
Johnson - excellent 3FG shooter. Good passer. The human tarantula has some outstanding blocked shots and has potential to do more for this team
Betrand - disappointing and has likely lost his starting role to Leggett and possibly the 1st guard sub role to Martin. Not a strong rebounder for his 6'5" frame. Good passer. Has potential and has a nice shot. Still early in his career at URI
Carey - some tremendous highlight film blocked shots this season. Turnovers are a significant opportunity for improvement. Limited to 5 minutes vs VCU and still had 2 turnovers in just the 5 minutes. Still learning Cox's offensive and defensive system.
3 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Absolutely, I don't understand this throwing in the towel attitude.

Narrow the line up from playing 10 guys. We already say this with Sheppard playing all 40 and Leggett playing 35 vs VCU.
Finally put Leggett in the starting line up and keep him there - great step.
I'll put this starting 5 up against any A10 Team - no doubt in my mind this team can beat the likes of St Bonaventure, Saint Louis, VCU, Dayton, Davidson.
Starters:
Mitchell - is playing like an All A10 Player - not 1st team yet, but he is making quick and continuous improvement strides . Minimizing his fouls is key to stay on the floor. Excellent shot blocker, rim protector and his rebounding continues to improve. Good passer as well.
Walker - excellent potential offensively and defensively. He will be motivated in the A10 Tournament. Guards need to feed him the ball. He looked good in the VCU game playing the high post at the foul line
Leggett - a warrior, a leader, a winner, a force on the offensive boards for rebounds. Nice shooting touch. If I'm going into bottle I want this kid by my side.
Sheppard - showed strong ability to bring the ball up the court vs VCU. 6 assists and only 1 turnover in the 2nd minute of the game. He played the last 38 minutes vs VCU with zero turnovers. High percentage shooter, can drive the lane, passes well
Russell - needs to be healthy obviously. If not Sheppard and Leggett showed vs VCU they can handle the ball against one of the best defensive teams in the A10

Bench in order of playing time as A10 Tournament approaches imho:
Martin - excellent defensively and good shot blocker. Likely starter for A10 Tournament if Russell can't make a go of it.
Harris - has accepted his roll not starting this year with professionalism. Needed to back up Mitchell especially with Makhi out for the season
Johnson - excellent 3FG shooter. Good passer. The human tarantula has some outstanding blocked shots
Betrand - disappointing has likely lost his starting role to Leggett. Not a strong rebounder for his 6'5" frame. Good passer. Has potential and has a nice shot.
Carey - some tremendous highlight film blocked shots this season. Turnovers are a significant opportunity for improvement. Limited to 5 minutes vs VCU and had 2 turnovers in just the 5 minutes. Still learning Cox's offensive and defensive system.
I don't think anyone feels we should just throw in the towel, nobody is in favor of that.
Whether, or not Fatts should continue to play is a decision between him and Cox along with the recommendation of the trainers.
If he is up to it and wants to then he should play as long it doesn't become a detriment.
Playing time should be handed out according to their contribution to the team.
We know we have the talent to compete with anyone in the conference, we just haven't put it together on a consistent basis.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I agree with Ramsters depth chart. Johnson and Betrand should be solely used to bust zones, when we see zone they get minutes if we see man to man they should get limited time. Twan Walker needs more time, there is no reason for him only to play 20 mins a night. DCs use of him is perplexing he’s easily our most efficient player by all metrics. Think he’s 2nd in the league in FG% and is probably our best defensive rebounder. Also shooting 80% from the line and has hit 3s better than at any point in his career. I don’t get it.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Agreed, and I almost like DJ moving up that chart with his defensive length, but good rotation. Please email to DavidCox@WakeUp.URI.edu
0 x
GO RAMS
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Agree, I like DJ ahead of Harris. But it's debatable... rest of that depth chart is spot on.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago Sadly I think there's no way we will sit Fatts long enough for him to heal up.

This team didn't beat UMass with him
Yeah I know. That was in Amherst. They won't play as well in Kingston.
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

So you're saying there's still a chance? 🥴
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

PeteRI wrote: 3 years ago

So you're saying there's still a chance? 🥴
With a healthy Fatts, hell yeah!
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago
Keep sitting him - I want him as close to 100% for the conference tournament a possible.
It doesn't look like they intend to sit him as we get closer to the A10T:
URI hoping Russell can return for UMass
Bill Koch
The Providence Journal
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago
It doesn't look like they intend to sit him as we get closer to the A10T:
URI hoping Russell can return for UMass
Bill Koch
The Providence Journal
Please just sit him out
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

You think it's easy being 5' 8" and driving through a forest of guys a foot taller than you? GO FATTS GO!!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Of course it’s not easy. He keeps getting hammered and landing on the ground.
Right Heel, Ankle, Core, Hamstring, Knee........
Just sit out and get recovered and healthy.
Regular season doesn’t matter now, only way in us the A10 Tourney

I disagree with those who say we have little no chance to win the A10. Get Fatts healthy, give Sheppard and Leggett a chance to run the team and develop.

Then be fully ready for Richmond Virginia in a month.

Bringing Fatts back too soon just seems to be adding to injury list he already has. Plus his shooting efficiency has suffered.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

These injuries blow. As much as we criticize him (some is deserved) he’s maybe 60% of himself from last season. He was fast break dunking and was legit the fastest player in college basketball. Hope he’s close to 100%.
1 x
GO RAMS
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 3 years ago Of course it’s not easy. He keeps getting hammered and landing on the ground.

I disagree with those who say we have little no chance to win the A10. Get Fatts healthy, give Sheppard and Leggett a chance to run the team and develop.

Bringing Fatts back too soon just seems to be adding to injury list he already has. Plus his shooting efficiency has suffered.
You know my thoughts, if he wants to play he should as long as he isn't a detriment to the team and that is Cox's decision.
This assumes he is cleared by the trainers and is ready and able.
As far as winning the A10T, there is always, a chance as slim as it may be. We have the talent but this team hasn't shown it can be consistent enough to win 4 straight games even with a healthier Fatts.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago Of course it’s not easy. He keeps getting hammered and landing on the ground.

You know my thoughts, if he wants to play he should as long as he isn't a detriment to the team and that is Cox's decision.
As far as winning the A10T, there is always, a chance as slim as it may be. We have the talent but this team hasn't shown it can be consistent enough to win 4 straight games even with a healthier Fatts.
Fatts had RT been healthy during A10 play.

We agree to disagree on this teams chances to win the A10.

It is Coxs’ decision about Fatts playing but I think Cox gives too much of the decision to the player. Fatts loves to play, score points and move up on the career record books. So would I if I were in his shoes. But he has had bad shooting this season and it’s not getting any better.

Let him rest, recover, practice his shooting and be ready to win the A10 Tournament. Let the current roster challenge one another for playing time and go into the A10 Tourney with a 7 man rotation, 8 max but most teams will be (or already are) down to 7 or even 6 player rotations by Tourney time.

If you are more into Fatts setting career steals and scoring records I can see letting him make the call whether he plays or not. He will pick playing. But that hasn’t worked out so well to date.

A healthy Fatts is needed for the A10 Tourney.

Also, Fatts wants to take 10-15 shots per game (hitting 3-4) if he were to focus more on assists, play making and leading the team than on shooting while hurt and recovering then good but I want Sheppard, Walker, Mitchell and Leggett taking the majority of shots because of their FG Percentages.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Fatts had RT been healthy during A10 play.

We agree to disagree on this teams chances to win the A10.

It is Coxs’ decision about Fatts playing but I think Cox gives too much of the decision to the player. Fatts loves to play, score points and move up on the career record books. So would I if I were in his shoes. But he has had bad shooting this season and it’s not getting any better.

Let him rest, recover, practice his shooting and be ready to win the A10 Tournament. Let the current roster challenge one another for playing time and go into the A10 Tourney with a 7 man rotation, 8 max but most teams will be (or already are) down to 7 or even 6 player rotations by Tourney time.

If you are more into Fatts setting career steals and scoring records I can see letting him make the call whether he plays or not. He will pick playing. But that hasn’t worked out so well to date.

A healthy Fatts is needed for the A10 Tourney.

Also, Fatts wants to take 10-15 shots per game (hitting 3-4) if he were to focus more on assists, play making and leading the team than on shooting while hurt and recovering then good but I want Sheppard, Walker, Mitchell and Leggett taking the majority of shots because of their FG Percentages.
I do agree that we have zero chance of winning the A10T without Fatts or just a fraction of himself.
0 x