1/27 | La Salle | 5:00PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

1/27 | La Salle | 5:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by spookydog »

University of Rhode Island vs La Salle University
Tom Gola Arena, Philadelphia, PA
Wednesday, January 27, 2021
5:00PM

Media
TV: None
Online: ESPN+
Radio: 920 AM/104.7 FM or Tune In Radio App

Previews:
La Salle’s Fan Forum

Hey, we got a win…an ugly, ugly win. Rhody shot only 37% from the field & 27.8% from three but these figures were better than how Fordham shot the ball. Turnovers were still a problem with 16. The good news is the Rams of Rhody outrebounded the other Rams by 18. Rhody also only gave up 14 second half points. That is a definite positive (& they did this without Fatts) but now burn the tape & let’s head to Philly to take on La Salle. Rhody has won 10 of the last 11 against the Explorers. La Salle has been a .500 team in league play but somehow do have road wins against Richmond & Dayton. La Salle is guard heavy team but plays 9 players per game. They also spread out their scoring as they don’t have anyone averaging double digits, so there won’t be one player they need to shut down. This looks to be another sloppy turnover laden game as the Explorers average almost as many turnovers as the Rams. I expect Mitchell to be able to dominate downlow after struggling a bit getting points against Fordham. Rhody will come in as favorites in this game, probably by about 6.5 point. Right now, I don’t know if URI will cover that spread against the high school La Salle Academy never mind La Salle University. My prediction, Rhody wins an ugly one 72-68. Wear a Mask & Go Rhody!

Opponent
Record:
7-9, 4-4 in the Atlantic 10
Last season: 15-15, 6-12 in the Atlantic 10

Rankings (URI):
RPI: 162 (117)
KenPom: 167 (67)
NCAA NET: 181 (77)
BPI: 189 (69)
Sagarin: 182 (75)

Leaders:
Points – Sherif Kenney 9.1 (Soph., G)
Rebounds – Jack Clark 5.2 (Soph., G)
Assists – Jhamir Brickus 3.4 (Fr., G) (1.9 TO per game)

Historical
Series: 31-9
H: 12-4, A: 15-5, N: 4-0
Most Recent Matchup: 1/18/20 66-63 W at URI
Most Recent Win Streak: 6 – URI
Match-up Predictor: 78.3% Chance of URI Winning
1 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: 1/27 | La Salle | 5:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by RF1 »

Won the last game versus Fordham. Following the recent pattern (last seven games), time for a loss against LaSalle.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

LaSalle is unpredictable. I’ve seen them get HOT and play above their heads, and I’m seen them look like the LaSalle we are used to seeing.

If our luck is any indication, they will come out on FIRE.
2 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Jared Kimbrough for La Salle is 17-for-18 from the field in his last two games. The one miss was a three.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago LaSalle is unpredictable. I’ve seen them get HOT and play above their heads, and I’m seen them look like the LaSalle we are used to seeing.

If our luck is any indication, they will come out on FIRE.
Oh they will be on our ass
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Their leading scorer averages single digits.

Their leading rebounder averages mid-single digits.

Their leading playmaker averages low single digits.

That's pathetic. Yet I'm still worried they might beat us. That's even more pathetic.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Good article on the ups and downs (mostly downs) of La Salle’s season from a local writer-

https://www.cityofbasketballlove.com/ne ... ow/1142280

0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

We had 7 players score in single digits against the worst team in D1. 7.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

La Salle an up and down season and inconsistent, wonder who that sounds like.
They have a balanced attack and a deep bench (9 man) much like us, although our talent level is higher.
This like all the others is a game we can easily lose, if we don't come ready to play.
WE MUST LIMIT OUR TURNOVERS AND PLAY SMART........
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I looked at the FU box score. We had 140 minutes score a total of 24 points. There are only 200 minutes a game.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago We had 7 players score in single digits against the worst team in D1. 7.
We played 9 guys. I prefer equal distribution and hopefully finding the HOT hand
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago
theblueram wrote: 3 years ago We had 7 players score in single digits against the worst team in D1. 7.
We played 9 guys. I prefer equal distribution and hopefully finding the HOT hand
Well, we didn't have one last night that's for sure.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago
Outscored Fordham 29 to 11 in the last 19 minutes of the game - not too shabby
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 3 years ago

Wave your pom poms Ramster. We just beat THE worst team in D1.
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago

Ramster, what has come over you?! Am I in the twilight zone? Your newfound optimism is refreshing. :lol:
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

LaSalle shot the cover off the ball against Richmond the other night.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Comments post game from David Cox about Russell in ProJo .....

Russell was in a sweatsuit and watched Sunday’s victory from the URI bench. He stayed in the locker room until just before lineup introductions and didn’t attempt even a token jump shot or two with his teammates. He’s listed as day-to-day ahead of a trip home to Philadelphia and a Wednesday evening matchup with La Salle.

“Fatts in Philadelphia? You answer that one,” Cox said. “I would imagine unless they take his leg off or unless the doctor orders him to stay out that he would play.”

I’d prefer Cox keeps Russell’s playing time to zero until he is completely healthy. Playing him too soon could result in further injury. It is also not helping Russell’s performance statistics when he is not 100%

We will make the NCAA by winning the A10 - so rest Russell and any other players so that we are ready for the A10 Tourney.
Last edited by ramster 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago Comments post game from David Cox about Russell in ProJo .....

Russell was in a sweatsuit and watched Sunday’s victory from the URI bench. He stayed in the locker room until just before lineup introductions and didn’t attempt even a token jump shot or two with his teammates. He’s listed as day-to-day ahead of a trip home to Philadelphia and a Wednesday evening matchup with La Salle.

“Fatts in Philadelphia? You answer that one,” Cox said. “I would imagine unless they take his leg off or unless the doctor orders him to stay out that he would play.”

I’d prefer Cox keeps Russell’s playing time to zero until he is completely healthy. Playing him too soon could result in further injury. It is also not helping Russell’s performance statistics when he is not 100%

We will make the NCAA by winning the A10 - so rest Russell and any other players do that we are ready for the A10 Tourney.
He wouldn’t put the kid in harms way to play him. I don’t think any coach would. If he can play, he will play.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Right, because that's been a consistently winning strategy so far this year.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 3 years ago Comments post game from David Cox about Russell in ProJo .....

We will make the NCAA by winning the A10 - so rest Russell and any other players do that we are ready for the A10 Tourney.
He wouldn’t put the kid in harms way to play him. I don’t think any coach would. If he can play, he will play.
If Fatts wants to play, he'll play. You don't really think Cox has any influence on that one way or the other do you?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Whether LaSalle is on fire or not depends on how hard we decide we want to play defense against them.
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

spookydog wrote: 3 years agoWear a Mask & Go Rhody!
And be ready to use your mask as a blindfold.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago

If Fatts wants to play, he'll play. You don't really think Cox has any influence on that one way or the other do you?
We are basically saying the same thing. Some of you try too hard to disagree with me to make a point.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

We are basically saying the same thing. Some of you try too hard to disagree with me to make a point.
He is saying that Fatts makes that decision, not Cox.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago

Don’t most star players and leaders make the call?! Again, trying to hammer home this agenda....still.

His quote is saying exactly what we are all saying. However, if the doctors say he can’t or should not go, he will not.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Fatts I would think plays as the game is in Philly let’s hope we don’t get the LaSalle that win at Richmond
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

reef wrote: 3 years ago Fatts I would think plays as the game is in Philly let’s hope we don’t get the LaSalle that win at Richmond
........hopefully he plays and drops a 40 on the friends and families in Philly......we could use that.....no?
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I'm not going to be able to watch due to the time slot (and I don't have ESPN+ anyway), so can someone upload a recording? Someone was doing them (I forgot who) and adding the links to a spreadsheet.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

We will make the NCAA by winning the A10 - so rest Russell and any other players so that we are ready for the A10 Tourney.
I sort of agree Ramster, but we technically are not at the point where we are out of contention for a bid. They should not give up on that path until it is exhausted. I DO NOT THINK THEY ARE GOING TO GO 9-1 over the last 10ish games, but if they did they are on the bubble. (said loudly for people who will jump on this comment).
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

steviep123 wrote: 3 years ago I'm not going to be able to watch due to the time slot (and I don't have ESPN+ anyway), so can someone upload a recording? Someone was doing them (I forgot who) and adding the links to a spreadsheet.
I have been slacking for a few reasons, because the team hasnt inspired me very much and because my newer laptop makes it take more time to do so (macs dont have a built in virutal audio device to capture), and I have a new job that takes more of my free time. So I have lost that push to do it for most games. If anyone else happens to rip anything tho let me know, and Ill update the spreadsheet as I find rips and if I get back into it
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

rhodysurf wrote: 3 years ago
steviep123 wrote: 3 years ago I'm not going to be able to watch due to the time slot (and I don't have ESPN+ anyway), so can someone upload a recording? Someone was doing them (I forgot who) and adding the links to a spreadsheet.
I have been slacking for a few reasons, because the team hasnt inspired me very much and because my newer laptop makes it take more time to do so (macs dont have a built in virutal audio device to capture), and I have a new job that takes more of my free time. So I have lost that push to do it for most games. If anyone else happens to rip anything tho let me know, and Ill update the spreadsheet as I find rips and if I get back into it
Thanks surf. I'm trying to convince the wife to do the disney+ bundle. I subscribe to Disney Plus, she subscribes to Hulu. But she won't give up her Hulu and switch it to me as she doesn't want to lose her history. I feel it's ridiculous for both of us to pay for Hulu.

Ooh, this gives me an idea. Maybe I will cancel Disney plus and have her order the bundle. She keeps her hulu history and we have all 3. Why didn't I think of it earlier?
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I do not see us getting anywhere near the bubble just don’t see it possible
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

What’s keeping us afloat is SOS and top wins. And we didn’t lose to FU.
0 x
GO RAMS
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Don’t most star players and leaders make the call?! Again, trying to hammer home this agenda....still.

His quote is saying exactly what we are all saying. However, if the doctors say he can’t or should not go, he will not.
Cox is going to tell the kid he can't play his last college game in his hometown? This is a serious question? If he can walk he will play.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

UCH21377 wrote: 3 years ago

Cox is going to tell the kid he can't play his last college game in his hometown? This is a serious question? If he can walk he will play.
Yes, if there is a risk to him severely injuring himself. Absolutely.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago

I sort of agree Ramster, but we technically are not at the point where we are out of contention for a bid. They should not give up on that path until it is exhausted. I DO NOT THINK THEY ARE GOING TO GO 9-1 over the last 10ish games, but if they did they are on the bubble. (said loudly for people who will jump on this comment).
Injuries have plagued Russell this year:
Minor ankle injury vs WKU as he had a pain in his leg and went to the bench
Right heel injury vs Seton Hall
Reported hamstring injury
Core muscle injury

Question for David Cox is whether to let Russell recover from all of the injuries that are bothering him, or let him sit out until he is 90 to 100%?
Most critical for URI is to peak at the A10 Tournament in March - winning this is URI's best (and maybe only) shot at an NCAA Birth
Will be interesting to see how David Cox handles Russell over the next few games.

Current A10 Record 5-4 with 8 games to go (GW is postponed)
Dec 18 Fri vs Davidson - LOSS 58-67 - 67
Dec 30 Wed vs St Bonaventure WIN 63-57 - 42
Jan 3 Sun vs St Joseph's WIN 85-77 OT - 247
Jan 6 Wed @ Richmond LOSS 73-80 - 60
Jan 9 Sat @ VCU WIN 83-68 - 44
Jan 13 Wed @ UMASS LOSS 78-80 OT - 111
Jan 16 Sat vs George Mason WIN 80-60 - 163
Jan 20 Wed @ Duquesne LOSS 69-71 - 166
Jan 24 Sun vs Fordham WIN 52-42 - 316

A10 Games to go:
Jan 27 Wed @ LaSalle - 180
Jan 30 Sat @ Dayton - 105
Feb 3 Wed vs VCU - 44
Feb 6 Sat vs UMASS - 111
Feb 10 Wed @ St Louis - 20
Feb 13 Sat @ Davidson - 67
Feb 16 Tue vs Dayton - 105
Mar 2 Tue @ St Joseph's - 247
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

That's true for sure but if it's just to make sure he's 100% for future games I'm not buying that.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

That's true for sure but if it's just to make sure he's 100% for future games I'm not buying that.
Then we agree.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I agree, as long as you're saying that Cox's risk assessment will be based on Fatts saying whether he can play or not and absolutely nothing else.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I am sure if Fatts is anywhere near 70 % he gives it a go
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

........any word on Fatts?......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Rothstein said Fatts is a game time decision.

Other thing worth noting for tonight, the Lasalle announcers are horrendous so be prepared to mute your sound or put on Don/Steve.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

My expectations for this game are low for Rhody. A loss is the most likely outcome based on what I have seen thus far.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago Rothstein said Fatts is a game time decision.

Other thing worth noting for tonight, the Lasalle announcers are horrendous so be prepared to mute your sound or put on Don/Steve.
If he plays, maybe we should look to limiting minutes until he is closer to 100%. I could see maybe giving him 10 minutes in the 1st half and then seeing where the game goes in the 2nd half.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago Rothstein said Fatts is a game time decision.

If he plays, maybe we should look to limiting minutes until he is closer to 100%. I could see maybe giving him 10 minutes in the 1st half and then seeing where the game goes in the 2nd half.
Maybe if he doesn't play it motivates him to come back and get more Philly games with people next year?

Can't imagine his professional stock is very high with how this season has gone for him so far.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

He will play but likely get limited minutes.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rest Fatts rest.

Let's get back to back wins for the first time in what feels like years!
1 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

How many more games do we have on ESPN+ ?
0 x
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

Would love for AB to come home and have a great game!
0 x