David Cox

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

David Cox

Unread post by Rhody72 »

It has been a long time since I have started a new thread, but I feel that we need to discuss the future of David Cox as our basketball coach NOW. I truly believe that David Cox will become a great college basketball coach and now is the time to secure him as URI's coach when a more lucrative contract from URI would interest him and stabilize program leadership. Don't wait until David is a hot commodity and other schools outbid us for his services. Also, I believe that now is the time that a mutually beneficial contract can be reached that will keep him as URI's coach when he becomes successful, something that has plagued URI for decades. David possesses the characteristics of great basketball coaches. He is smart, a leader, a role model with terrific interpersonal skills, a proven recruiter and a person that I project will develop players and build a strong program. The players he has recruited are high quality individuals. Now is the time for us to get behind David and push the administration to support URI basketball.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Re: David Cox

Unread post by section(105) »

........should be interesting to see how many pages this goes.........I would prefer some performance based criteria with demonstrated results before engaging in any long term deal.......no more CFL type situations for URI.......sorry
4 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

At this point, I don't think a long-term contract is going to happen. They usually don't do that for a relatively new head coach that is still somewhat unproven. If Cox does become a hot commodity and the right program and offer comes along, that deal probably wouldn't keep him anyway. I think Thorr will give him a short term extension for now, just to ease any immediate concerns.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago It has been a long time since I have started a new thread, but I feel that we need to discuss the future of David Cox as our basketball coach NOW. I truly believe that David Cox will become a great college basketball coach and now is the time to secure him as URI's coach when a more lucrative contract from URI would interest him and stabilize program leadership. Don't wait until David is a hot commodity and other schools outbid us for his services. Also, I believe that now is the time that a mutually beneficial contract can be reached that will keep him as URI's coach when he becomes successful, something that has plagued URI for decades. David possesses the characteristics of great basketball coaches. He is smart, a leader, a role model with terrific interpersonal skills, a proven recruiter and a person that I project will develop players and build a strong program. The players he has recruited are high quality individuals. Now is the time for us to get behind David and push the administration to support URI basketball.
How do you feel Cox has done in developing players in his now finishing up on 3 years as a HC? Who would be his top 3 examples?

How many more years and how large a pay increase are you talking about to keep Cox long term?
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

No way do I feel Cox should be given an extension, at least for now.

He hasn't proven squat other than his recruiting.

As for that, what good does talent do if the results aren't there?

We have athletes, but how many have good basketball instincts, as in IQ?

Evidently we don't have many that can handle a basketball, that's for sure.

An extension might be warranted if we show considerable improvement next season.

Otherwise, it's CUT BAIT time!

The excuse that he should be given an extension because of continuity and recruitment issues doesn't hold water.

That's just kicking the can down the road, for no good purpose other than make a mediocre coach the next CFL.

How long will we [and Thorr in particular] tolerate bad basketball and .500 records?

Results matter!
4 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I think he has to prove himself as an pregame and in-game coach before he becomes the future of this program. There hasn't been this much complaining about a coach since you know who. That should be an eye opener.
3 x
GO RAMS
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

He has to field a team that's consistently good and a real threat to make the NCAA tournament, to warrant an extension.

This undisciplined mess that shows little sign of improvement is not worthy in any way.

We're going to see if Thorr's words mean anything when it comes to the expectations and goals he set for this program.
2 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

In my opinion...

Positives:
Terrific Recruiter
Great ambassador for our program

Negatives:
Roster Turnover --> will this improve?
Assistant Coaches

TBD:
In-game coach

I do understand 72's point of a mutually beneficial long-term contract IF, and it's a big IF, Thorr thinks this is his guy long-term, but there are a lot of question marks that make that a risky proposition. I think he needs to push more discipline...the majority of our losses are tied to turnovers and shot selection and both can be controlled with the right leadership qualities in a head coach.

We also need an identity. Coach Cox needs to figure out what that identity is and go all-in on it - recruiting the right players, marketing that identity, etc.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I don't see any improvement in Cox' in game coaching since he started. Still doesn't know how to call timeouts, still too passive when things are going poorly. As someone new to the role, he should be showing drastic improvement in this area, we should be able to point to improvements, he's shown none.
I don't see his players improving under him. How is Fatts better today than he was his sophomore year? How is Jermaine better since he stepped on campus?
He hasn't shown an ability to keep players on the roster under his watch.
We aren't reaching any of our program goals under him.
We can't afford to buy him out if we extend him.
He's still going to leave if a program he perceives to be better offers more money.

At this point David Cox hasn't proven to be a good A10 level head coach. He's an outstanding assistant coach. Plenty of outstanding assistant coaches can't make the leap.

Based on that, there is literally no reason to extend him now and hundreds of thousands to millions of reasons not to extend him. If he's kept on after this season he needs to be told in no uncertain terms that next year is literally NCAA or bust for his time as our head coach. If he makes the NCAA tournament, then and only then, would he qualify for an extension
6 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Totally agree, RR2.

Cox is the opposite of Hurley when it comes to discipline.

You would think that DC would have learned that from his time as assistant to Dan.

Dan was able to bring in players that he perceived to be good "fits" to the style of play he wanted to implement here.

Has Cox been able to do that?

He wanted a more up tempo style of play.

So far, he has been unable to force that style on his opponents.

Instead, what we have is a disjointed collection of individuals rather than a team.

Some of them look like they were indeed, someone else's problem, and they continues those same traits here.

Is it fixable? Doesn't seem to be, at this point.
1 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by daytonflyerfan »

I tend to agree with not giving him a big extension, I can think of examples of schools getting stuck paying big $ to fire a coach, but I can not really think of any examples of a non-hot(no offense intended)coach leaving due to feeling unappreciated.

They can always up his pay if he gets hot, and that probably won't be enough to keep him anyway, seems if a p5/BE school really wants somebody, they will dig deep to get him. If he wants to stay, he will stay, and something mutually beneficial to both sides can be worked out.
2 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

A lot of comparisons to Hurley here which I’m not sure are fair/warranted. I get it’s easy and the default because they’re the current and former coach, but these two guys could not be more different as humans

Stone Freeman was on a UMASS podcast leading up to this weeks game and described it best. Danny was a nice enough guy, but more reserved, more intense, and less “friendly” for the lack of a better word.

Cox seems to be the opposite of most of these things. Clearly the Hurley “style” is popular as it worked, but the guy had HC experience before even coming to URI, comes from one of the most prestigious coaching families in all of basketball, and failed for 3 years before succeeding here.

This isn’t me saying Cox is the answer. 2 years form now we may conclude he definitely wasn’t. But to other commenters points, maybe he does need to rework his staff to complement his tendencies (I.e I’m sure have Cox around as an Asst was great considering Hurley was such a hardass)

Time will tell. Coaching decisions are never easy. Unless you have a successful coach at a slightly lower mid major level lined up for the job it’s another massive risk. And as we all know, we’re a stepping stone. Cox suddenly has success say next year? Could easily turn into one of the “hotter” candidates for a P5 gig
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Hurley failed for three years before succeeding here? Yeah, not exactly. He coached two seasons at Wagner, his second year was very good. His first two years here were spent completely rebuilding a nuclear waste site, his third year he brought a core of sophomores and freshmen to the second round of the NIT, his fourth year was derailed by one of the core four being hurt, then it was tourney time
3 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago Hurley failed for three years before succeeding here? Yeah, not exactly. He coached two seasons at Wagner, his second year was very good. His first two years here were spent completely rebuilding a nuclear waste site, his third year he brought a core of sophomores and freshmen to the second round of the NIT, his fourth year was derailed by one of the core four being hurt, then it was tourney time
I use failure tongue in cheek as apparently around here we define failure as NCAA Tourney or bust. He didn’t make the tourney the first 4 years here. I’m not trying to compare situations between the program Cox inherited vs Dan because clearly Hurley had a lot more initial work on his plate.

My point isn’t to devalue Hurleys accomplishments. It’s to put context around it all.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Yes, Cox not being on pace to make the tournament in his first three years with what he inherited is a giant bust. Context matters as you say. Cox inherited a program that was at where Hurley was in year 3 of the rebuild.

Year 3 vs year 1 - We go to the NIT 2nd round vs having a disjointed year that ended in Brooklyn
Year 4 vs year 2 - We have a disappointing year fueled by EC's injury vs we have a good 3/4 of a year before a Jim Baron style collapse
Year 5 vs year 3 - NCAA second round, within a whisker of making the second weekend vs a disappointing and disjointed season
Last edited by RhowdyRam02 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago Yes, Cox not being on pace to make the tournament in his first three years with what he inherited is a giant bust. Context matters
I’m sure when Thorr gave Cox the keys he had COVID-19, and losing transfers to UCONN and Kentucky on his roadmap. Pretty normal things that happen all the time right?
0 x
Ibn34
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Ibn34 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago I don't see any improvement in Cox' in game coaching since he started. Still doesn't know how to call timeouts, still too passive when things are going poorly. As someone new to the role, he should be showing drastic improvement in this area, we should be able to point to improvements, he's shown none.
I don't see his players improving under him. How is Fatts better today than he was his sophomore year? How is Jermaine better since he stepped on campus?
He's still going to leave if a program he perceives to be better offers more money.

At this point David Cox hasn't proven to be a good A10 level head coach. He's an outstanding assistant coach. Plenty of outstanding assistant coaches can't make the leap.

Based on that, there is literally no reason to extend him now and hundreds of thousands to millions of reasons not to extend him. If he's kept on after this season he needs to be told in no uncertain terms that next year is literally NCAA or bust for his time as our head coach. If he makes the NCAA tournament, then and only then, would he qualify for an extension
This may have been the realest/best post describing Coach Cox’s accomplishments, or lack there of. No hate. No malice. Just good questions and real check pints that haven’t been met. Great post “02”💪🏾💪🏾
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

KingstonLane wrote: 3 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago Yes, Cox not being on pace to make the tournament in his first three years with what he inherited is a giant bust. Context matters
I’m sure when Thorr gave Cox the keys he had COVID-19, and losing transfers to UCONN and Kentucky on his roadmap. Pretty normal things that happen all the time right?
Every coach is dealing with Covid, fact not opinion. That people like you need to use that as a crutch says everything about how bad of a job he's doing
2 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago
Every coach is dealing with Covid, fact not opinion. That people like you need to use that as a crutch says everything about how bad of a job he's doing
Every other negative post I read about Cox is “he hasn’t made the tournament yet!”. He’s legitimately coached 1 season where there even has been a tournament.

Oh and any chance of rerecruiting Tyrese or Toppin was a hell of a lot harder due to COVID because they weren’t on campus. If you want to put your blinders on and pretend this stuff doesn’t matter go for it. I don’t even have an opinion on Cox. I’m letting the guy flourish or fail. He’s shit talked so much here I feel like someone needs to be a voice of reason. People can be critical, that’s normal. But so much nonsense gets posted
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Ibn34 wrote: 3 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago I don't see any improvement in Cox' in game coaching since he started. Still doesn't know how to call timeouts, still too passive when things are going poorly. As someone new to the role, he should be showing drastic improvement in this area, we should be able to point to improvements, he's shown none.

This may have been the realest/best post describing Coach Cox’s accomplishments, or lack there of. No hate. No malice. Just good questions and real check pints that haven’t been met. Great post “02”💪🏾💪🏾
I know how my posts come off, but I actually have no malice for David Cox the person. I would take David Cox the person over Dan Hurley the person everyday of the week and twice on Sunday, and I say that as someone who likes Dan a lot. And I would love nothing more than this team to go on a run and make the tournament this year. Hell, I was doing a bubble watch last year when maybe only one or two other people thought we were on the bubble. But I know what I'm seeing and I know what I'm not seeing. I'd love nothing more than to be proven wrong, but I don't see us as a tournament team this year or next, and I'm not sure I see a path the year after. I don't see how you can extend a coach under those circumstances with our financial situation being what it is
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

This. This is 100% the problem with this fan base. This post. This thread.

WE DESERVE BETTER THAN MEDIOCRE. DIDN'T HURLEY REMIND YOU OF THAT!?

This pussy-ass idea that "well we have a basketball team, this is fun" is so pathetic it's nauseating. Let me go through this one by one:

He is smart - Agreed. One of the brightest individuals I've had the pleasure of talking hoops/life with.

A leader - in what way? Like yes, he is the coach; so by definition he is a leader. But as the coach, the team looks like a rudderless ship without direction or identity as of right now. The loss of Jeff Dowtin has exposed a lot of this.

A role model with terrific interpersonal skills - Absolutely. One of the better men in all of college basketball. The role model part matters.
He's one of the better communicators to the public as well. This is not a skill that is relevant to winning basketball and I don't get why anyone cares. Jim Baron was super friendly to everyone too.

A proven recruiter - Fact. He can bring in talent as freshmen, he can bring in talent from transfers. Undisputable. ...but can he retain that talent? 8 transfers in 2 years from 10 recruits. Sorry but that should be a huge red flag pandemic or not. He lost 2 STARTERS for this year, including one who had started every game for 2 years here and had been an integral part of the scoring. That's alarming to say the least. This should not be a "stepping stone" program for players - it never has been before. If you start here and you are good, you tend to be able to make your mark and get to the next level.

A person that I project will develop players
- OK project based on what? So far what I have seen is a coach who has not put his players in positions to be their best or win games. He's having guys who can't handle the ball play point guard on some sets. He's not making adjustments based on game plans, just hoping that his system works. What player has gotten better in their time under Cox? Not that he's been able to keep any of them around for a test case but...

Jeff Dowtin - got worse. Arguably the best pure PG to come through URI (Garrick and Wheeler obviously for debate's sake). Cox took the ball out of his hands and ran an offense through him or Fatts. Numbers declined in all categories. Team under achieved.

Cyril - Could say he improved, though not at offense. Defensively he was a force, but he was always that good just never got a chance with the guys in front of him. His offensive capabilities were so poor that ANDRE BERRY played over him his sophomore year, simply because Berry could score off the block and mid-range.

Harris - lol.

Fatts - declines in every area. Allows him to "shoot his way" out of slumps - which have persisted for the multitude of his career. Career 28% 3 point shooter and falling, yet still allowed to take the most shots. Gifted PG who is, once again, being asked/allowed to play off the ball which is not his skillset.

Walker - he's the one who looks like he has definitely improved. He has a decent outside shot. Freak athlete. Great rebounder. Still inconsistent at a high-low pass which is pretty necessary in the 1-3-1 that Cox runs most of the time.

And this concludes the list of players still here that have played more than 1 year under DC. Not exactly encouraging in year 3.

and build a strong program. - We had a strong program. We had a built, strong, championship program.

That program was built off of the ashes of one of the worst programs in URI history. It checked off milestones on it's way to being built. In year 3 of the Hurley build, we looked like a team that continued to develop into a championship program. In year 3 of a non-rebuild we are going backwards with a losing record and zero identity except turnovers.

The players he has recruited are high quality individuals - Fact. Again, are we rooting for the basketball team because of everything they don't do on the basketball court? Or are we rooting for a basketball team to be good at basketball. This conference and program should not be hanging their hat on the quality of character of it's players if it isn't competing on the court. What you are thinking of is a charitable organization.

I am not saying that Dave Cox cannot get it done here and that he is not the coach for this program. But what I am saying is that his stubborn commitment to his system and basketball ideology of "anyone can play PG" without recognizing that we do not possess the skill set on this team to execute on that, is what is costing us this season.

It is hard enough to get one good point guard to come to an A10 program. Now you need to find 2 or 3? At the same time? That system might be great on paper and in theory, but it doesn't work in reality in the A-10.

Honestly if it was a system that worked, you'd think Izzo, Coach K, Cal - any of those guys would run it since they can routinely get 5 star PG's to come through their programs. But they don't.

Until Cox can show that he is able to set aside his personal ideals of basketball to maximize the talent on his roster, he's not someone you can commit to long term.

This is the same exact thinking that got us Jim Baron. This is still a desirable program to come to as a coach. This is still a program you can win at. Save this mediocre bullshit for somewhere else.
9 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago This. This is 100% the problem with this fan base. This post. This thread.

This pussy-ass idea that "well we have a basketball team, this is fun" is so pathetic it's nauseating. Let me go through this one by one:

He is smart - Agreed. One of the brightest individuals I've had the pleasure of talking hoops/life with.

A leader - in what way? Like yes, he is the coach; so by definition he is a leader. But as the coach, the team looks like a rudderless ship without direction or identity as of right now. The loss of Jeff Dowtin has exposed a lot of this.

A role model with terrific interpersonal skills - Absolutely. One of the better men in all of college basketball. The role model part matters.
He's one of the better communicators to the public as well. This is not a skill that is relevant to winning basketball and I don't get why anyone cares. Jim Baron was super friendly to everyone too.

A proven recruiter - Fact. He can bring in talent as freshmen, he can bring in talent from transfers. Undisputable. ...but can he retain that talent? 8 transfers in 2 years from 10 recruits. Sorry but that should be a huge red flag pandemic or not. He lost 2 STARTERS for this year, including one who had started every game for 2 years here and had been an integral part of the scoring. That's alarming to say the least. This should not be a "stepping stone" program for players - it never has been before. If you start here and you are good, you tend to be able to make your mark and get to the next level.

- OK project based on what? So far what I have seen is a coach who has not put his players in positions to be their best or win games. He's having guys who can't handle the ball play point guard on some sets. He's not making adjustments based on game plans, just hoping that his system works. What player has gotten better in their time under Cox? Not that he's been able to keep any of them around for a test case but...

Jeff Dowtin - got worse. Arguably the best pure PG to come through URI (Garrick and Wheeler obviously for debate's sake). Cox took the ball out of his hands and ran an offense through him or Fatts. Numbers declined in all categories. Team under achieved.

Cyril - Could say he improved, though not at offense. Defensively he was a force, but he was always that good just never got a chance with the guys in front of him. His offensive capabilities were so poor that ANDRE BERRY played over him his sophomore year, simply because Berry could score off the block and mid-range.

Harris - lol.

Fatts - declines in every area. Allows him to "shoot his way" out of slumps - which have persisted for the multitude of his career. Career 28% 3 point shooter and falling, yet still allowed to take the most shots. Gifted PG who is, once again, being asked/allowed to play off the ball which is not his skillset.

Walker - he's the one who looks like he has definitely improved. He has a decent outside shot. Freak athlete. Great rebounder. Still inconsistent at a high-low pass which is pretty necessary in the 1-3-1 that Cox runs most of the time.

And this concludes the list of players still here that have played more than 1 year under DC. Not exactly encouraging in year 3.

and build a strong program. - We had a strong program. We had a built, strong, championship program.

That program was built off of the ashes of one of the worst programs in URI history. It checked off milestones on it's way to being built. In year 3 of the Hurley build, we looked like a team that continued to develop into a championship program. In year 3 of a non-rebuild we are going backwards with a losing record and zero identity except turnovers.

The players he has recruited are high quality individuals - Fact. Again, are we rooting for the basketball team because of everything they don't do on the basketball court? Or are we rooting for a basketball team to be good at basketball. This conference and program should not be hanging their hat on the quality of character of it's players if it isn't competing on the court. What you are thinking of is a charitable organization.

I am not saying that Dave Cox cannot get it done here and that he is not the coach for this program. But what I am saying is that his stubborn commitment to his system and basketball ideology of "anyone can play PG" without recognizing that we do not possess the skill set on this team to execute on that, is what is costing us this season.

It is hard enough to get one good point guard to come to an A10 program. Now you need to find 2 or 3? At the same time? That system might be great on paper and in theory, but it doesn't work in reality in the A-10.

Honestly if it was a system that worked, you'd think Izzo, Coach K, Cal - any of those guys would run it since they can routinely get 5 star PG's to come through their programs. But they don't.

Until Cox can show that he is able to set aside his personal ideals of basketball to maximize the talent on his roster, he's not someone you can commit to long term.

This is the same exact thinking that got us Jim Baron. This is still a desirable program to come to as a coach. This is still a program you can win at. Save this mediocre bullshit for somewhere else.
Hey man I don’t think we see eye to eye on much but this is a great post. I agree with all the sentiments weaved throughout. At the end of the day I think we all want the best for the program and likely just have different levels of patience for it. I suppose that’s sports fandom in a nutshell

At the sake of making this response any longer than it needs to be I’ll make my stance clear (not one I anticipate or need anyone to agree with).

My view of this season was a mulligan. Roster turnover (for the right or wrong reason happened). The hope was end there year improving from where we started. Trajectory hasn’t looked great but I’ll wait for the book to shut on the season before reflection

My expectation was 2021-2022 was the ultimate prove it year. I know that gets back into the debate of extending before or after he proves it, but ultimately you know next year if Cox is your guy. I hope he can figure it out because of the quality human he is he’s easy to root for. If not, we have basketball games to win
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago This. This is 100% the problem with this fan base. This post. This thread.

Harris - lol.

Hey man I don’t think we see eye to eye on much but this is a great post. I agree with all the sentiments weaved throughout. At the end of the day I think we all want the best for the program and likely just have different levels of patience for it. I suppose that’s sports fandom in a nutshell

At the sake of making this response any longer than it needs to be I’ll make my stance clear (not one I anticipate or need anyone to agree with).

My view of this season was a mulligan. Roster turnover (for the right or wrong reason happened). The hope was end there year improving from where we started. Trajectory hasn’t looked great but I’ll wait for the book to shut on the season before reflection

My expectation was 2021-2022 was the ultimate prove it year. I know that gets back into the debate of extending before or after he proves it, but ultimately you know next year if Cox is your guy. I hope he can figure it out because of the quality human he is he’s easy to root for. If not, we have basketball games to win
We will disagree with the mulligan aspect because I view this with a "buck stops here mentality." I am also not looking at this season in a vacuum, I'm looking at all 3.

That said, your first part is dead on. A few people on here (whether your alter-ego or not ;) ) think that anyone critical of this program is rooting against it for some weird reason. We are all fans. Our emotions are all different - but if you are emotionally invested in the program you will have emotions.

The last part is most definitely true. I want so bad for Dave to figure this out. We all do. He truly is one of the more quality people I have had the pleasure of meeting. It doesn't mean that he is automatically the level of coach that he is as a man. I also agree that next year is the prove it or move it year.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Ibn34
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Ibn34 »

I think 2019-20 year was the ultimate “prove it” year. The talent was there. Experience was there (still had guys that actually played in a NCAA tournament). Second year coach, with more experience and opportunity to hire “his” guys. Competitive schedule was there. Even the results were there, mid way thru the season. But they tanked at the end, and definitely needed to win the A10 tourney to get in the NCAA tournament. We came up short IMO, in the “prove it” year.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Ibn34 wrote: 3 years ago I think 2019-20 year was the ultimate “prove it” year. The talent was there. Experience was there (still had guys that actually played in a NCAA tournament). Second year coach, with more experience and opportunity to hire “his” guys. Competitive schedule was there. Even the results were there, mid way thru the season. But they tanked at the end, and definitely needed to win the A10 tourney to get in the NCAA tournament. We came up short IMO, in the “prove it” year.
Completely agree, that's why I've been so frustrated, and why I'm not sure I see a path for us making the tournament under Cox during the rest of the remaining contract. When are we going to have it lined up where the core is someone like Fatts playing at a near All-American level, someone like Jeff, and someone like Cyril, and the schedule is favorable for us? And even that core wasn't enough last year. If they had held steady at the end of last year and were still a consensus at large team then Cox would have been deserving of a contract and none of this posting would be happening
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Ibn34 wrote: 3 years ago I think 2019-20 year was the ultimate “prove it” year. The talent was there. Experience was there (still had guys that actually played in a NCAA tournament). Second year coach, with more experience and opportunity to hire “his” guys. Competitive schedule was there. Even the results were there, mid way thru the season. But they tanked at the end, and definitely needed to win the A10 tourney to get in the NCAA tournament. We came up short IMO, in the “prove it” year.
I think the issue with that season that will forever haunt us (for better, worse or mostly the lack of outcome) is that you’re using it as a negative when we don’t even know how it concluded. Like sure we fell off near year end, but we still were on the bubble (albeit the wrong side) and for all we know have gotten in with a strong A10 tourney run (which wasn’t out of the question).

The “collapse” wasn’t losses to Fordham, st Joes and lasalle. It was two losses to Dayton (NCAA 1 seed), STL (strong team trending up), and a Davidson OT loss you’d like to have back. You can argue sure we should have won one of those games hopefully, but it’s wildly exaggerated how much of a failure that was
0 x
Ibn34
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Ibn34 »

I think the issue with that season that will forever haunt us (for better, worse or mostly the lack of outcome) is that you’re using it as a negative when we don’t even know how it concluded. Like sure we fell off near year end, but we still were on the bubble (albeit the wrong side) and for all we know have gotten in with a strong A10 tourney run (which wasn’t out of the question).

The “collapse” wasn’t losses to Fordham, st Joes and lasalle. It was two losses to Dayton (NCAA 1 seed), STL (strong team trending up), and a Davidson OT loss you’d like to have back. You can argue sure we should have won one of those games hopefully, but it’s wildly exaggerated how much of a failure that was
Kingston, I agree with you that we don’t know how things would’ve played out. Because of Covid-19 obviously. But the point here is, it shouldn’t have come to that. Needing to win A10 tournament to get in. That team had the elements to be at worst the 2nd best team in the A10 last season (no one was beating Dayton). But they weren’t!! My feelings are, they were the 4th best at the end of the day. And that’s unacceptable!!
1 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Ibn34 wrote: 3 years ago

Kingston, I agree with you that we don’t know how things would’ve played out. Because of Covid-19 obviously. But the point here is, it shouldn’t have come to that. Needing to win A10 tournament to get in. That team had the elements to be at worst the 2nd best team in the A10 last season (no one was beating Dayton). But they weren’t!! My feelings are, they were the 4th best at the end of the day. And that’s unacceptable!!
They were a very intriguing team results wise. Outside of the loss to brown (which I try to permanently remove from my memory) they beat everyone they “should have beaten”, always took care of business. They just really struggled to get over the hump vs their best opponents. They had some quality wins don’t get me wrong, but to your point of their A10 rank they didn’t beat Richmond or STL (the other two teams in the top four).

Again as I think you know one of those things where because of the lack of result we could sit here for hours and debate what “would have happened”

ALL of that being said. I’ll take what we dealt with over being a Dayton fan lol. Not getting a tournament with that team is a crime against humanity for your fan hood
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

We were embarrassed and looked like we shouldn't be on the court with Maryland or Dayton. We lost very winnable games against LSU and at West Virginia. One of those games would've at least given us SOMETHING to hang our hat on.

We lost at BROWN and then immediately followed that up with a loss to a Richmond team that played like shit. The season was pretty much over at that point.

We racked up 10 wins Baron style against a really really bad A10 last year, and then when we played real teams again we folded.

The Dayton game I literally laughed my ass off like I was in a dentist's chair.

We underachieved from the jump. We had an AWFUL loss and missed 6 opportunities for Q1 wins. We dropped 4 of 6 to conclude the year. Davidson and St Louis at home were inexcusable for a team with tournament expectations. Honestly, even without the ranked wins - beat Brown, St Louis at home and a poop Davidson team on the road and it still would've been a tourney team. But we didn't. That whole year was Baron AF.

We didn't win a single game we needed to, and we lost games we couldn't. Period.
5 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Down the stretch when we were a consensus bubble team we went

Loss at Dayton 81-67
Win vs St. Joe's 73-55
Loss at Davidson 77-75
Win at Fordham 76-75
Loss vs St. Louis 72-62
Loss vs Dayton 84-57
Win at UMass 64-63

3-4. Two of the three wins were 1 point nail biters against putrid teams. One absolutely embarrassing blowout. One out of seven games we actually took care of business. That's as bad a collapse as it gets. With everything to play for, those are your results? We can say the season wasn't complete, but that wasn't a squad that was winning the A10 tournament with how they were playing down the stretch. That's Jim Baron all over again
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

And I was at the last game we played at UMass. We stunk. It took a bad call at the end to get us a win. We weren't winning an A10 tournament. We might not have won a single game in that tournament.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

It's the inconsistency and this year the turnovers have been an abomination. There is no reason for that. Even his first team didn't turn the ball over like that. I guess thanks in part to Jeff, but still we weren't all screaming about turnovers then.

What doesn't make sense is how good we have looked at times under Cox. When we look good we have looked really good under him. But we just fall off completely at the drop of a hat.

Even in the UMass game. How in the hell did we just suddenly lose all of our momentum going into OT after dominating them for the last 7-8 minutes of regulation. If not dominated, scored at will! Teams that are as bad as UMass don't survive collapses like that. They fold in OT. But we reverted right back to the play that got us down 15! How!?

It was a microcosm of his tenre here. It's baffling and when you are baffled at your coach it usually stays that way. Best case this year Fatts goes off in the A-10 tournament and we sneak in. Next year we are just so talented his poor coaching gets saved by it.
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I had my say in starting this topic. I believe the best time to lock up a future great coach is before he becomes a great coach. We need to show David that we are looking at him as our long-term coach, we want a similar understanding from him, and we are willing to pay him now for what we believe he will become. The reality is that we have taken money out of the program in hiring David which needs to be corrected or he will be gone before you know it or the revolving door of basketball coaches will continue. The best time to buy into this guy is now.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Blue Man, we seem to agree on a lot, including how this thread is ridiculous.

However, you also started a thread calling this current team one of, if not the, most talented team in history, which is clearly not even close to being true.
1 x
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago I had my say in starting this topic. I believe the best time to lock up a future great coach is before he becomes a great coach. We need to show David that we are looking at him as our long-term coach, we want a similar understanding from him, and we are willing to pay him now for what we believe he will become. The reality is that we have taken money out of the program in hiring David which needs to be corrected or he will be gone before you know it or the revolving door of basketball coaches will continue. The best time to buy into this guy is now.
That idea works in real life, it doesn't work in the world of basketball coaches. If he was bound to actually stay through his contract, then yes, there would be an argument to signing him long term now. If there was real reason to believe he would approach this different than 99.999% of other college coaches and stay even if someone offered more money, again, a valid argument could be made to sign him now. He'd get paid more early and gain long term security for reduced compensation at the end of the contract, which should work for both sides and is how contracts work in the real world. However, because contracts for basketball coaches are so one-sided and aren't worth the paper they're printed on if a coach wants to be elsewhere there's no benefit for URI to overpay and overcommit early. It puts all of the downside risk on the program and none on the coach
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago Blue Man, we seem to agree on a lot, including how this thread is ridiculous.

However, you also started a thread calling this current team one of, if not the, most talented team in history, which is clearly not even close to being true.
To be fair, he said, "deepest, most talented" - and that could still be correct, but that doesn't necessarily translate to a great team. The team is very deep (especially before Makhi Mitchell was hurt) and they do have talent. Right now, they are talented and deep, but have not been able to consistently put it together.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steviep123
Sly Williams

Harris - lol.

This plus infinity!
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

steviep123 wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago Blue Man, we seem to agree on a lot, including how this thread is ridiculous.

To be fair, he said, "deepest, most talented" - and that could still be correct, but that doesn't necessarily translate to a great team. The team is very deep (especially before Makhi Mitchell was hurt) and they do have talent. Right now, they are talented and deep, but have not been able to consistently put it together.

We're 6-7 and getting worse by the game.

Ain't no chance we're even close to the most talented team ever.
0 x
Go Rhody
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

How can we be so talented, yet have most of our so called ballhandlers treat the ball like a hot potato?

We have talent of course. The Mitchell twins have exceeded my expectations for sure. Wish they could shoot FT's but when you come to URI you are supposed to suck at them, ha ha.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago I had my say in starting this topic. I believe the best time to lock up a future great coach is before he becomes a great coach. We need to show David that we are looking at him as our long-term coach, we want a similar understanding from him, and we are willing to pay him now for what we believe he will become. The reality is that we have taken money out of the program in hiring David which needs to be corrected or he will be gone before you know it or the revolving door of basketball coaches will continue. The best time to buy into this guy is now.
By "we" do you mean you?

What if Thor has other ideas? Does he have to check with you first?
1 x
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

I still stick to my guns and say that he will probably get a short term extension which would keep some continuity in the program and a positive relationship between administration and staff. They also wouldn't be able to attract talented transfers or H.S. recruits, if these kids felt the staff is on shaky ground.
I certainly have been critical about Cox and the staff as far as game management, player development, among other issues.
BUT, contrary to what many believe, I will give him a pass these first 3 seasons.
Ist year - Took over with no previous head coaching experience, losing 4 starters plus Jarvis and almost all our scoring. This was not an NCAAT team by any any stretch.
Last year- Disappointing finish but had a nice 10-0 win streak. Also who knows if we would of had a hot run in the A10 tournament and beat Richmond to get to the finals, we could of played our way back in the bubble. There was no post season tournaments, so nobody knows what could of happened.
This year - He is trying to get all the pieces in place with a new roster, I realize he owns it, but many of those situations he couldn't control. I am actually relieved that so far this team has been able to play, so many other programs are in or have been on pause.
Look the NCAA, understanding the circumstances this year, is basically giving all the players and teams a pass: approving almost all waivers, additional year with no loss of eligibility, allowing seniors to return without them counting against scholarship limit(13).

If you follow many of the insiders Cox isn't even close to being mentioned on the hot seat or even warm for that matter.
Don't be concerned about the University having to pay off on a contract, the full amount is usually never paid. They are usually worded that if he accepts employment elsewhere that salary is deducted, also many times they negotiate a one time payout. His base salary isn't huge but loaded with incentives based upon performance. If they do decide they want him gone, money won't be an issue.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Harris - lol.

Great post. For us not to have a team in competition for the tourney almost every year is not acceptable. I think people’s posts on the assistants coaches are fair also. They don’t seem to do much in terms of helping Cox game plan.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

For those who say Cox isn't on the hot seat yet, they may be right at this point, but things will change pretty quickly if we don't dance by next season.

I've said this before....just how serious is the administration when they say they want to be top of the A10 and go to the tournament on a regular basis?

How does that jibe with what we're seeing now?

The bottom line is winning. If URI doesn't care about winning, then Cox will remain, and we will suck for years to come.

Do they think that he will turn things around? WHEN? Next year, the year after, or 2025?

If they are happy with another Jim Baron, then they were lying to all of us.
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

This is a tougher call then you state. Hurley's first tournament year we were choking away the bid the same way we were last year. It was not a guarantee that team would make the tournament until they made the A10 championship. Last year ended with Rhody on the wrong side of the bubble, but definitely on the bubble. Cox lost his chance to prove it in Brooklyn in his "prove it" year. This year in my mind was not a prove it year, it was a reload year after Jeff and Cyril graduated. Other than Fatts there is no "Hurley" player left on the team. HI think most agree he has done a good job reloading talent and now just needs to get this new team to the bubble by the end of this year.

BTW with a Kenpom of 69, we are probably not that far from the bubble. Said it in a different thread, we have only played 2 teams with a Kenpom over 100 so far this year, St. Joes and Umass (who is a decent team at 111). 6-7 sucks. It should 8-5 at least and I expect to be 11-7 entering the Dayton game. The season is not over and we can work our way back to the bubble.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhody was no longer on the bubble when play ended last year, they played themselves off on every serious bracket projection
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago Rhody was no longer on the bubble when play ended last year, they played themselves off on every serious bracket projection
The depends on what you mean by bubble - to me it means any team that can easily be in with their next win or two or out with their next loss or two. Those who would would still be solidly in with two or three losses are not bubble teams nor are teams that are still not close to a bid with a win or two. URI was somewhere in the last 12 out by a lot of predictors when covid shut them down....that is in bubble territory, albeit the wrong side. I do think a trip to the A10 finals, especially if they met and beat Richmond in the semis, would have put them in the first four. Winning it would have likely required a win over Dayton (or if by someone upsetting Dayton, then over SLU).
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago Rhody was no longer on the bubble when play ended last year, they played themselves off on every serious bracket projection
The depends on what you mean by bubble - to me it means any team that can easily be in with their next win or two or out with their next loss or two. Those who would would still be solidly in with two or three losses are not bubble teams nor are teams that are still not close to a bid with a win or two. URI was somewhere in the last 12 out by a lot of predictors when covid shut them down....that is in bubble territory, albeit the wrong side. I do think a trip to the A10 finals, especially if they met and beat Richmond in the semis, would have put them in the first four. Winning it would have likely required a win over Dayton (or if by someone upsetting Dayton, then over SLU).
The bubble means you can make the NCAA tournament without winning the A-10 tournament. Getting to the A-10 finals wasn’t getting URI the tournament last year. They lost way too many games down the stretch and there were teams in other conferences that were going to steal bids.
3 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Ya, no way we get in last year without the automatic bid. Dayton was going to win the A10 tournament and probably the National Championship.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

URI was playing its worst basketball toward the end of the season, barely scraping by against basement teams like Fordham & UMass and was getting blasted by better teams like Dayton & St. Lou, with the experience we had on the roster that should have NEVER happened. We might have been on the bubble radar but there was no realistic chance we were winning a game in the A10 with how we finished.
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

David Cox is neither of the age nor does he have the personal characteristics of someone who is going to stop demanding the best of himself. You need to project what he will be like in 2-3 years. There are so many ways that you can incentivize a contract to make him want to stay here and be rewarded for program success. David is not a mediocre individual; he is exceptional. It is much easier to take over different program than move over one seat; he has just gone through this transition. There is too much of the rhode islander mentality here that prevents us from achieving greatness. The treatment of David to date is not inspiring; it's an invitation to pay your dues and move on. It is time recognize his talent and support him accordingly. I'm all in.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!