1/13 | UMass | 7:00PM (NESN/ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

1/13 | UMass | 7:00PM (NESN/ESPN+)

Unread post by spookydog »

University of Rhode Island vs University of Massachusetts
William D. Mullins Memorial Center, Amherst, MA
Wednesday, January 13, 2021
7:00PM

Media
TV: NESN
Online: ESPN+
Radio: 101.5 FM (B101) or Tune In Radio App

Previews:
UMass’ Fan Forum

With a change in the Rhody schedule, the Rams now head north to Amherst to take on UMass Wednesday night. URI is coming off a a big road win against VCU in Richmond while UMass is coming off an easy win at home over La Salle. The Minutemen have played half as many games as Rhody this year because of COVID related issues as well as their game being postponed in DC last week given the insurrection. Never thought I would have to say that in a game write-up, but here we are. The Minutemen are a young team lead by fourth year head coach Matt McCall. Opposing team’s assistant coaches generally fly under the radar, but not for this team. I would venture to say that a wide swath of KB members has very high regards for one assistant coach, former Rhody great Tyson Wheeler, while a vastly different feeling towards Tony Bergeron, who tried to get into a fight with David Cox last year at the Ryan Center. On the court UMass, the offense flows through center Tres Mitchell. He is the only non-senior on the A10 preseason all-conference team and in my opinion the best player in the conference. The Rhody big men have their hands full with him & will need to remember to play him past the arc as he is a good three-point shooter, hitting almost half of his attempts. Mitchell plays just about the whole game, averaging 35 minutes of playing time. UMass rounds out their lineup with primarily guards; Pierre, Fernandes, Garcia & Rhode Island native TJ Weeks. Weeks was hurt much of last year, so he didn’t play against the Rams in both contests last year. Sophomore Noah Fernandes is a player to watch as he has played great this year, averaging 12.8 points, 4.7 rebounds & a fantastic 5.8 assists per game. Hopefully Rhody’s defense can slow him down & not facilitate to Mitchell as much as he has been. The Rams have won 7 of the last 8 contests against UMass, so hopefully they will be able to continue this trend. As has been the case so far this season, the Rams need to keep better care of the ball. Rhody had 19 turnovers last game but were saved by their shooting from deep. If they don’t shoot like they did against VCU but have the same number of turnovers, they can’t possibly think they will win. If Fatts keeps getting to the line while Betrand & Sheppard shoot high percentage shots Rhody should win this one by almost double digits. I am guessing the spread will be Rhody -2.5 & I like this in this one. Rhody wins 77-71. Wear a Mask & Go Rhody!

Opponent
Record:
3-3, 2-1 in the Atlantic 10
Last season: 14-17, 8-10 in the Atlantic 10

Rankings (URI):
RPI: 142 (78)
KenPom: 113 (68)
NCAA NET: 111 (76)
BPI: 117 (69)
Sagarin: 123 (76)

Leaders:
Points – Tres Mitchell 20.7 (Soph., C)
Rebounds – Tres Mitchell 7.2 (Soph., C)
Assists – Noah Fernandez. 5.8 (Soph., G) (1.5 TO per game)

Historical
Series: 67-89
H: 41-31, A: 26-53, N: 0-5
Most Recent Matchup: 3/7/20 64-63 W at UMass
Most Recent Win Streak: 3 – URI
Match-up Predictor: 59.3% Chance of URI Winning
0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: 1/13 | UMass | 7:00PM (NESN/ESPN+)

Unread post by Jersey77 »

These rivalry games are always tough, barely squeezed out a win by 1 last year there.
Trey Mitchell owned us last year, need to do a better job on him this time. Hopefully Makhel and JH will be up to it.
Fernandes and Pierre are steady and could be a problem, would like a repeat VCU performance from Fatts, AB, and Shep.
They are very young with 6 freshman and some sophs.
Preston Santos left the team for an indefinite period, undisclosed personal issues.
This is a game we should win.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

The last time we played them was the last normal weekend we’ve experienced.

Crazy to think about!
5 x
Go Rhody
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I would rather have Jermaine start over Makhel, even if Makhel plays more minutes. I don't want Walker to get beat up early.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Only beaten UMass at UMass by dbl digits 5 times since the 62-63 season.

Its going to be close.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......can’t let Tre get off hot.......who guards him......?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Let Tre get his, beat them at every other position. Fernandes is turning in to a nice floor general for them, and they have a few good but young role players around them. They are a bad defensive team and very young; we will be the strongest team they have played to date by a lot. Gotta get this one.
5 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

Tre can put up 40, no problem. We need to use our depth that we have now at the position to constantly harass him. I don't think letting him live out there pressure free is the way to go, contest everything, make contact down low, get him upset.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

UMass gives them fits 65-62 we lose
1 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

reef wrote: 3 years ago UMass gives them fits 65-62 we lose
Do you ever believe in the team you’re a “fan” of
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

KingstonLane wrote: 3 years ago
Do you ever “understand” jokes
It’s reef, the guy’s a fan.

KenPom has this one 78-75. I don’t think it ends up that close.
5 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

ace wrote: 3 years ago

I mean yes I get sarcasm is hard to always pick up on the internet but didn’t really see the joke in predicting your team to lose. Everyone’s entitled to their opinion but jeez we’re 3 days off a quality win and already back to the eeyore woe is me parade.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I mean yes I get sarcasm is hard to always pick up on the internet but didn’t really see the joke in predicting your team to lose. Everyone’s entitled to their opinion but jeez we’re 3 days off a quality win and already back to the eeyore woe is me parade.
To be fair, we dominated VCU last year and most every other A10 game was a fight. I don’t think VCU is the best measuring stick for us. We are still right there behind Richmond and SLU, fighting with Davidson and the Bonnie’s for third place I think. Get this game at UMass to keep up the pace. One game at a time.
3 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

It’s a bit. He keeps saying it and they keep winning. Dude’s a gambler, they’re a superstitious bunch!
6 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

It’s a bit. He keeps saying it and they keep winning. Dude’s a gambler, they’re a superstitious bunch!
KingstonLane is too busy switching between that and the DC Rams user name to follow Reef's posts from game thread to game thread to get the context.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago

KingstonLane is too busy switching between that and the DC Rams user name to follow Reef's posts from game thread to game thread to get the context.
Add this to the latest list of dumb ass conspiracy theories of yours.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago Let Tre get his, beat them at every other position. Fernandes is turning in to a nice floor general for them, and they have a few good but young role players around them. They are a bad defensive team and very young; we will be the strongest team they have played to date by a lot. Gotta get this one.
Yea their schedule has been insanely soft so far.. gotta win
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Without fans, the home court advantage is minuscule. Anyone know the travel arrangements for this game? It's a 2.5 hour drive. If we can play well at Siegel, we can play well at Mullins. It's not like we are playing at the Cage with its gas lights through the netting changing colors.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
ngriff
Abdul Fox

Unread post by ngriff »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago Without fans, the home court advantage is minuscule. Anyone know the travel arrangements for this game? It's a 2.5 hour drive. If we can play well at Siegel, we can play well at Mullins. It's not like we are playing at the Cage with its gas lights through the netting changing colors.
Completely agree with your first point, not many people point that out though it still matters a lot with the NET rankings
weather you are home or not, I wish Cox would take advantage of that and schedule more games away as it would be a minimal disadvantage to be away yet a huge plus that if you are away that a home quad 2 team could be a quad 1 team if you play them at their place, just a thought if I'm wrong someone please correct me!
As to the travel arrangements to the game, the closest public airport to Umass is 50 minutes away and the closest airport to Kingston is a 20 Minute Drive, that is an hour and 10 min than factor in the flight time and time at the airport and you have something of the likes of 2.5 hours. Not to mention that busing would without a doubt be Covid safer and significantly less expensive. That makes me have the conclusion that they are most likely busing!
First Paragraph: Talks about home/away games this year with NET
Second Paragraph: Talks about means of transportation to Umass (:
0 x
thatRamBand
Kenny Green

Unread post by thatRamBand »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago Without fans, the home court advantage is minuscule. Anyone know the travel arrangements for this game? It's a 2.5 hour drive. If we can play well at Siegel, we can play well at Mullins. It's not like we are playing at the Cage with its gas lights through the netting changing colors.
To be fair, UMass averaged 2,717 fans per home game last year...so basically the same atmosphere this year.
6 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

It was the RHODY Bus last year. Same Bus they take to Brown, PC.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I was more interested in whether they were traveling to UMASS the same day or the night before. Clearly, it's a bus trip. Some coaches prefer a game day routine that doesn't include a 2.5 hour bus trip.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago I was more interested in whether they were traveling to UMASS the same day or the night before. Clearly, it's a bus trip. Some coaches prefer a game day routine that doesn't include a 2.5 hour bus trip.
I mean, they could have used horse-drawn wagons like Oregon Trail.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago I was more interested in whether they were traveling to UMASS the same day or the night before. Clearly, it's a bus trip. Some coaches prefer a game day routine that doesn't include a 2.5 hour bus trip.
I viewed your question as possibly they would travel in multiple vehicles to space out people. I didn’t get the schedule. They normally drive to UMASS on game day in the past. They were on campus today.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

It's hard to keep things straight when you have multiple personas going... "Errr.....wait did I read that, or did I just write that...?"
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago

Interesting that 5 people liked his post...this one...not so much...
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Looks like they’re currently at UMASS
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago

Adults posting/counting likes on a Keaney Blue message board, consisting of 40-50 active members?! Who gives a fuck? I promise you I don’t. You all can believe what ever the hell you want, and I’ll continue to exist, hate it or love it.
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

IG posts have them practicing there this evening.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

We have always been so mean to each other on the keaneyblue board 🤎
1 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Adults posting/counting likes on a Keaney Blue message board, consisting of 40-50 active members?! Who gives a fuck? I promise you I don’t. You all can believe what ever the hell you want, and I’ll continue to exist, hate it or love it.
Come on, DC...you don't see how valuable these useless internet points are? 500 Keaney Blue Likes will get you 1 Schrute Buck.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Counting likes on a college basketball message board is worse than middle schoolers bragging to their friends about how many likes they get.

So f´n childish.
0 x
Go Rhody
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

RhodyKyle wrote: 3 years ago

Come on, DC...you don't see how valuable these useless internet points are? 500 Keaney Blue Likes will get you 1 Schrute Buck.
Oh please go an like my post so everyone can see I have support. Blue Man can say or do no wrong amidst her, I mean (his) groupies.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

What’s the conversion of Schrute Bucks to Stanley Nickels?
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Oh please go an like my post so everyone can see I have support. Blue Man can say or do no wrong amidst her, I mean (his) groupies.
Damn what’s with all the misogyny in all your attempted insult posts. What does my gender have to do with it?

Where did you get your pants - the toilet store?
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

What’s the conversion of Schrute Bucks to Stanley Nickels?
Same as leprechauns to unicorns

And please take my internet point for this exchange.
Last edited by RhodyKyle 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

LOL. Methinks you do give an eff ;)
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

You can stop replying to me, I blocked it. Back to the game....over the petty bullshit.
Last edited by DC_Rams 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

The funny thing is calling someone on here a "girl" is just as childish as counting likes..

It's gameday!! Wake up everyone!!!
Last edited by steveystuds06 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 years ago

The funny thing is calling someone on here a "girl" is just a childish as counting likes..

I wouldn't say that comparing two posts is akin to 'counting likes', but y'all go ahead and be y'all ;)
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 years ago

The funny thing is calling someone on here a "girl" is just a childish as counting likes..

I wouldn't say that comparing two posts is akin to 'counting likes', but y'all go ahead and be y'all ;)
NYG you'd have to be an idiot to think that you give a shit about how many likes you get on here. I was responding to posts above. I know that's not what you meant by your post..

Rhody by 6! F UMASS!!!
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

ANYWAY for game talk.

IMHO this will be Makhel's biggest test in A10 play. Not to take anything away from French and STL, but it's been a while since the A10 has seen a "traditional" center who can score at will from literally anywhere on the floor. The A10 is known for it's guard play, it's tough to remember a team that had their center leading them in scoring.

He doesn't take a lot of 3 pointers, but he'll still attempt 1-2 per game and can hit them. He can hit his free throws. There's really not a weakness he has.

Makhel will have to be on his game and so will Cox. I don't think this is a job Makhel can do alone, so it will be interesting to see help/double teams and where we try to force Tre on the offensive end.

UMass can shoot the 3 fairly well, this will be a test all over. I expect Martin to be a huge X factor for us on the defensive end. He's going to need to be if we want to win.

That and please let's shoot the ball like we did against VCU.
4 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

You’re right that he will take a few threes and can make them, but I’d let him hang out on the perimeter if it were up to me. Don’t chase him out there; on the whole, we’re better off the further he is from the basket.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ngriff
Abdul Fox

Unread post by ngriff »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago ANYWAY for game talk.

IMHO this will be Makhel's biggest test in A10 play. Not to take anything away from French and STL, but it's been a while since the A10 has seen a "traditional" center who can score at will from literally anywhere on the floor. The A10 is known for it's guard play, it's tough to remember a team that had their center leading them in scoring.

He doesn't take a lot of 3 pointers, but he'll still attempt 1-2 per game and can hit them. He can hit his free throws. There's really not a weakness he has.

Makhel will have to be on his game and so will Cox. I don't think this is a job Makhel can do alone, so it will be interesting to see help/double teams and where we try to force Tre on the offensive end.

UMass can shoot the 3 fairly well, this will be a test all over. I expect Martin to be a huge X factor for us on the defensive end. He's going to need to be if we want to win.

Agreed, should be especially tough considering that Makhel tends to foul a lot, and he will definitly be punished if he fouls a lot, and if he gets in foul trouble who goes onto Mitchell? Harris or Walker?
1 x
ngriff
Abdul Fox

Unread post by ngriff »

FYI when I reference "Mitchell" I am refering to Trae Mitchell not Makhel Mitchell
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

ngriff wrote: 3 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago ANYWAY for game talk.

Agreed, should be especially tough considering that Makhel tends to foul a lot, and he will definitly be punished if he fouls a lot, and if he gets in foul trouble who goes onto Mitchell? Harris or Walker?
They may double him down low and try to keep the ball out of his hands.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Harris and Makhel give us 10 fouls to use on Tre. Have to make him uncomfortable and not get in a groove. He will get his points but make them come from volume and make him work for them. Also have to force him to play D and feed the post and slash to the hoop to try and get him in some foul trouble and tire him. Pierre is a good shooter but fairly one dimensional; few other guys who can stroke it but they aren’t Richmond. A lot of unproven guys around Tre so gotta force them to beat you. When Tre gets in rhythm they all flow off that and can become difficult to defend. He’s a game changer talent. Fernandes has also looked like a very solid A10 PG.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I knew Fernandes was going to be good. Local kid. Wish we would have got him.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago I knew Fernandes was going to be good. Local kid. Wish we would have got him.
Been seeing a lot more RI players on roster than usual the past couple years. Would be so cool to have at least one of them!

Saw Keegan Records from South Kingstown on Colgate the other day.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago Harris and Makhel give us 10 fouls to use on Tre. Have to make him uncomfortable and not get in a groove. He will get his points but make them come from volume and make him work for them. Also have to force him to play D and feed the post and slash to the hoop to try and get him in some foul trouble and tire him. Pierre is a good shooter but fairly one dimensional; few other guys who can stroke it but they aren’t Richmond. A lot of unproven guys around Tre so gotta force them to beat you. When Tre gets in rhythm they all flow off that and can become difficult to defend. He’s a game changer talent. Fernandes has also looked like a very solid A10 PG.
If we can hold him to anything less than what he did to us last year they have no chance.
0 x