The Transfer Carousel - 2021-22

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

The Transfer Carousel - 2021-22

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Tease Tech freshman Nimari Burnett, a five-star recruit coming out of high school, is leaving the program and plans to transfer, he told ESPN.

Burnett, a 6-foot-4 guard, had seen his playing time fluctuate throughout the first 12 games of the season, but he played just six minutes in the Red Raiders' 82-71 win over Kansas State on Tuesday. Burnett had played at least 20 minutes just four times this season.

Part of the reason for Burnett's smaller role has been the arrival of transfers Mac McClung (Georgetown) and Jamarius Burton (Wichita State). McClung picked Texas Tech in May; Burton originally planned to redshirt this season before deciding to suit up shortly before the campaign began. With Kyler Edwards also returning as a starter from last season, the backcourt minutes haven't been there consistently for Burnett.

Burnett was averaging 5.3 points per game this season.

Ranked No. 22 in the ESPN 100 for the 2020 class, Burnett originally chose Texas Tech over a final four that also included Alabama, Oregon and Michigan.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Re: The Transfer Carousel -2021

Unread post by steviep123 »

come on cox work your magic (assuming this doesn't limit PT for Leggett).
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

steviep123 wrote: 3 years ago come on cox work your magic (assuming this doesn't limit PT for Leggett).
I love Ish, going to be a great 4 year player here. Take the 5 star recruit if you have chance.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Why are we talking about this kid? We have no connection and no chance to get him.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago Why are we talking about this kid? We have no connection and no chance to get him.
I thought the same when I saw this. Does this mean that all 1000 potential transfers will be listed and discussed? We have no known connection to this kid, do we?

and shouldn't the player transfer thread be included in the recruiting section instead of NCAA or Bust?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Let other teams recruit. Focus on free agents.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 3 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago Why are we talking about this kid? We have no connection and no chance to get him.
I thought the same when I saw this. Does this mean that all 1000 potential transfers will be listed and discussed? We have no known connection to this kid, do we?

and shouldn't the player transfer thread be included in the recruiting section instead of NCAA or Bust?
I put it here because we previously had the transfer thread in this section. I only listed this particular player Burnett because I thought it was interesting that he was one of the highest rated recruits in the country and is leaving TT after only 1 semester. We are not going to post all the transfers here, at least I hope not.
Last edited by Jersey77 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Yep
I know it was here last year too
But it seems more elated to recruiting than the NCAA or Bust season discussion.
It really is recruiting and going to get bigger and bigger with the new rules
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 3 years ago Yep
I know it was here last year too
But it seems more elated to recruiting than the NCAA or Bust season discussion.
It really is recruiting and going to get bigger and bigger with the new rules
You are probably correct, but maybe leave that section for players that we have interest in or not.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I do not like our chances to land him
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

We are not even chasing him, so unlikely we land him. No interest.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Thought I would also include this one because of DH, he was a 4* 7 footer for UConn:

UConn men's basketball center Javonte Brown leaving program

UConn men's basketball center Javonte Brown has decided to leave the program, the team announced Friday.

The freshman appeared in two games for the Huskies this season, averaging 2.0 points and 1.0 rebounds per game.

The former four-star prospect out of Thornhill, Ontario, Canada will now enter the transfer portal.

UConn also announced earlier in the day that their Jan. 15 matchup with Villanova is being postponed.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago Thought I would also include this one because of DH, he was a 4* 7 footer for UConn:

UConn men's basketball center Javonte Brown has decided to leave the program, the team announced Friday.

The freshman appeared in two games for the Huskies this season, averaging 2.0 points and 1.0 rebounds per game.

The former four-star prospect out of Thornhill, Ontario, Canada will now enter the transfer portal.

UConn also announced earlier in the day that their Jan. 15 matchup with Villanova is being postponed.
Ya, I think he was a recruit of Hunters. Once Hunter left he wanted out..
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago Thought I would also include this one because of DH, he was a 4* 7 footer for UConn:

Saw that coming from a miles away. Wouldn’t mind taking a flyer on this kid.
0 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

No inside info, but I could see that being a player the Bonnies would get and turn into a stud.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Probably Texas A&M, he has people there. He’s incredibly raw and also young (reclassified and just turned 18 this past Fall) and never really faced tough competition in high school, but he’s huge. It’ll take time, but he could be good.

Villanova has been shut down three separate times. They’re having a tough time, not easy for the players to have to go through all the protocols and requirements for isolation and all that.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

SandorClegane wrote: 3 years ago

A “four-star” seven-footer who only got into two games? Shows you how much recruiting rankings mean.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 3 years ago

A “four-star” seven-footer who only got into two games? Shows you how much recruiting rankings mean.
He was thinking of transferring immediately after Kenya Hunter left for Indiana and DH knew he wasn't happy.
His playing time was going to be very limited anyway because of Carlton, Sanoga, and Whaley .
Sanoga was actually the more highly rated center in this past class, so he probably felt he would always be behind him.
Javonte Brown is raw but has much upside, plenty of programs would be interested.
I agree with Ace that A&M has the inside track on him.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

They were pretty right about Lamar tho, no? Of course there are hits and misses, no metric could ever be perfect at assessing future performance.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Wynston Tabbs from BC just entered the transfer portal.

He is a redshirt sophomore guard (6'2") and their 2nd leading scorer at 13pts. His freshman year he averaged about 14 pts.

He happens to be from the DMV and was a Rivals top 150 recruit.

He may be just what the doctor ordered for us a quality scoring guard playing at a P5 school from Cox's recruiting stronghold, but probably a longshot.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago Wynston Tabbs from BC just entered the transfer portal.

He is a redshirt sophomore guard (6'2") and their 2nd leading scorer at 13pts. His freshman year he averaged about 14 pts.

He may be just what the doctor ordered for us a quality scoring guard playing at a P5 school from Cox's recruiting stronghold, but probably a longshot.
Talented scorer, but very injury prone. Has yet to play a full season in 3 years.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago

They were pretty right about Lamar tho, no? Of course there are hits and misses, no metric could ever be perfect at assessing future performance.

Lamar was a Top 5 kid. It’s been repeated many times on this board on in the college basketball world that the Top 25 is pretty spot on, rest is a crapshoot.
0 x
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago Wynston Tabbs from BC just entered the transfer portal.

Talented scorer, but very injury prone. Has yet to play a full season in 3 years.
He may be worth taking a chance on, this year his redshirt sophomore season wasn't derailed because of injury. He seems to be fully recovered from his left knee surgeries.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Lamar was a Top 5 kid. It’s been repeated many times on this board on in the college basketball world that the Top 25 is pretty spot on, rest is a crapshoot.
If something is "repeated many times on this board" does that make it more accurate?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago

If something is "repeated many times on this board" does that make it more accurate?
We’re not the only ones who say it, media members say it for years. So are you disagreeing with my point then?

Seems like you just want to argue for the sake of argument.
0 x
Go Rhody
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago

He may be worth taking a chance on, this year his redshirt sophomore season wasn't derailed because of injury. He seems to be fully recovered from his left knee surgeries.
I like his game a lot from the handful of times I've seen him this year.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

SmartyBarrett wrote: 3 years ago
Technically he should have 3 years left. One year was a medical redshirt and this year doesn't count. He only actually played part of his freshman year not including this season.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.....for me, in this era, taking a chance on so and so, applies to anyone in the transfer portal......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Better schools than us on his list so looks like we are out
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

reef wrote: 3 years ago Better schools than us on his list so looks like we are out
We were never in...
0 x
Go Rhody
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Yeah I think someone suggested the possibility because Tabbs is from the DMV. But other than that no real link to him.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

SmartyBarrett wrote: 3 years ago Yeah I think someone suggested the possibility because Tabbs is from the DMV. But other than that no real link to him.
No real link to him, but I thought Cox may try and pursue him because he has been playing relatively close at BC, we can use a quality scoring guard, and he is from the DMV.
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

DMV — Department of Motor Vehicles?
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 3 years ago DMV — Department of Motor Vehicles?
:D
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

EXACTLY the same thing when the twins were becoming available.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Tabbs had been Suspended by BC

Boston College guard Wynston Tabbs will miss the remainder of the 2020-21 college basketball season after violating the school's COVID-19 protocols, per release. Tabbs had missed Boston College's last three games for undisclosed reasons following the Eagles' return from a COVID-19 pause.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RF1 wrote: 3 years ago Tabbs had been Suspended by BC

Boston College guard Wynston Tabbs will miss the remainder of the 2020-21 college basketball season after violating the school's COVID-19 protocols, per release. Tabbs had missed Boston College's last three games for undisclosed reasons following the Eagles' return from a COVID-19 pause.
The kid can play and many teams will be pursuing him regardless.

Look at the players we took a chance on and they seem to be adjusting well:
Sheppard - Suspended twice by East Carolina for violation of team rules before being dismissed
Walker - Suspended twice from Georgetown for physical altercations before being dismissed
Twins- Suspension was pending for altercations at Maryland before mutual agreement to leave.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 3 years ago Tabbs had been Suspended by BC

https://247sports.com/college/boston-co ... 160993169/
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Xavier Johnson starting PG for Pitt just entered the transfer portal he is averaging 14 pts/ 6 assists, there will be much interest.
He also happens to be from the DMV.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I really cannot get excited about transfer candidates right now.

I don't think it will matter with the current staff.

The mismanagement of the current talent, gives me little to no hope of that changing no matter who might come here player wise that is.

Now someone like Johnson you would think would HAVE to improve us, but......
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Why would Johnson want to come here?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago Why would Johnson want to come here?
Our seafood and beaches :)
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If the players here are not happy with the staff, word does get out about it.

I would think prospective candidates see us as a program in decline.

If this is all true, then something must be done.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago
If the players here are not happy with the staff, word does get out about it.

I would think prospective candidates see us as a program in decline.

If this is all true, then something must be done.
I am not so sure on how our player's feel about the staff.

Many transfers come in and feel they will be the savior.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago Xavier Johnson starting PG for Pitt just entered the transfer portal he is averaging 14 pts/ 6 assists, there will be much interest.

Why would a starting ACC point guard and borderline all conference performer want to come play at an A10 school that is currently terrible?
0 x
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago Xavier Johnson starting PG for Pitt just entered the transfer portal he is averaging 14 pts/ 6 assists, there will be much interest.

Why would a starting ACC point guard and borderline all conference performer want to come play at an A10 school that is currently terrible?
Like I said for the seafood and beaches. He will probably be pursued by many big programs.

Just curious why he is deciding to transfer, last year they lost starting guard Tres McGowens.
I wonder if Jeff Capel's seat is getting warm, he is 39-45 in his 3rd season.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Like I said for the seafood and beaches. He will probably be pursued by many big programs.

Just curious why he is deciding to transfer, last year they lost starting guard Tres McGowens.
I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up at Indiana, he is very close to recently hired associate head coach Kenya Hunter.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

With the new transfer rules there could be as many as 1500 transfers next year

College hoops becoming a different game baby
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Another high profile Pitt starting CG/SF Au'Diese Toney (6'6", 4* recruit) just entered the transfer portal he was averaging 14 pts/ 6 rebs/ 2 assists.

I wonder what is up with Pitt and Capel?

*Rhode Island recruited and offered him in 2018
0 x