1/9 | VCU | 2:00PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

1/9 | VCU | 2:00PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by spookydog »

University of Rhode Island vs Virginia Commonwealth University
Stuart C. Siegel Center, Richmond, VA
Saturday, January 9, 2021
2:00PM

Media
TV: CBSSN
Online: CBSSN
Radio: 101.5 FM (B101) or Tune In Radio App

Previews:
VCU’s Fan Forum

After losing a turnover laden game to the University of Richmond, Rhody stays in the state capital, errrr commonwealth capital, to take on fellow Richmond residents VCU on Saturday afternoon. The Rams of Rhody have had surprisingly good luck against the Rams of VCU, winning 8 of the last 9 games. For some reason VCU fans have a borderline unhealthy hatred for both our team as well as Coach Cox. Maybe it is jealousy as URI is the only team VCU has a losing record against in the A10. Or maybe it is because we are 3-0 against them in the A-10 tournament. Yeah, that would probably do it. Thankfully big man Santos-Silva transferred to Texas Tech as he has had some big games against us including one game when he went for 26 & 22. Who these Rams do still have is Bones Hyland. Only a sophomore, he runs the show on offense averaging almost 18 a game & went for a double double in their last game against George Mason. Although they aren’t quite the havoc defense of old, they are still averaging 11 steals a game (with 3 players hovering around 2 steals a game). Not a good sign for Rhody who are sloppy af with the ball. This game could get away from them quickly if the Rams of Rhode Island aren’t more careful with the ball. The last time these two teams faced each other, Fatts went for 30 while getting over half of his points from the line. He is going to have to get to the line again since his outside jumper is ummm…not very good. Both Rams teams go 10 players deep, so neither team has an advantage there. What VCU does have quite the advantage on is Suffixes, with 3 Jrs, 2 IIIs, & a IV. I am guessing that may be the leader in the all of college basketball for that “stat”. Rhode Island will need Walker & Sheppard to play like they did against the Spiders but with less turnovers. The Rams of RI should have an advantage in the paint as VCU is not a terribly tall team. So maybe Mitchell & Walker can get things going there. Hopefully Rhody can keep their surprising domination of their fellow Rams going & sneak out a victory. VCU will probably be favored by 5 in this one. I could be vague & say I see a Rams win 78-72. Sure, I want it to the Rams of Rhode Island, but I think it will be the other ones. Please, please, please take care of the ball more. That’s all I ask. Wear a Mask & Go Rhody!

Opponent
Record:
9-2, 2-0 in the Atlantic 10
Last season: 18-13, 8-10 in the Atlantic 10

Rankings (URI):
RPI: 33 (98)
KenPom: 54 (77)
NCAA NET: 25 (86)
BPI: 71 (83)
Sagarin: 64 (82)

Leaders:
Points – Bones Hyland 17.56 (Soph., G)
Rebounds – Vince Williams Jr. 5.2 (Jr., F)
Assists – Adrian Baldwin Jr. 4.9 (Fr., G) (1.8 TO per game)

Historical
Series: 10-7
H: 5-1, A: 2-6, N: 3-0
Most Recent Matchup: 1/31/20 87-75 W at URI
Most Recent Win Streak: 3 – VCU
Match-up Predictor: 38.0% Chance of URI Winning
2 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Re: 1/9 | VCU | 2:00PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Should be a really interesting game. VCU has performed well above expectations, but still really don’t have many quality wins.
0 x
Ibn34
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Ibn34 »

This is a game, where multiple drives to the rim will be available, for all URI guards and wings. Because of the trapping/pressing style of VCU. Hopefully they’ll take advantage of that.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

VCU has been playing well
Ace Baldwin freshman PG seems to stir the pot for leading scorer Bones Hyland (one time Rhody recruit) and others
Veterans: Williams, Curry, and Douglas all seem to be to coming into their own.
Kansas State transfer Levi Stockard starts in the paint and is serviceable
Fr. Watkins and sophomore Ward add depth at wing and up front.
They do have a long bench that can eat up a few minutes.
Another tough road game against a team that is trending up, we need solid play and minimize TO's to pull it out.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Yep, I like the Rams in this one....
4 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Ibn34 wrote: 3 years ago This is a game, where multiple drives to the rim will be available, for all URI guards and wings. Because of the trapping/pressing style of VCU. Hopefully they’ll take advantage of that.
Not to be a debbie downer, but on the flip side, VCU's trapping/pressing style coupled with URI's propensity for turnovers is a dangerous combination.
2 x
Ibn34
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Ibn34 »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 3 years ago
Ibn34 wrote: 3 years ago This is a game, where multiple drives to the rim will be available, for all URI guards and wings. Because of the trapping/pressing style of VCU. Hopefully they’ll take advantage of that.
Not to be a debbie downer, but on the flip side, VCU's trapping/pressing style coupled with URI's propensity for turnovers is a dangerous combination.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
That’s true!
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

The less time URI has the ball, the fewer TOs URI will commit and the more points URI will score.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

This is the obvious point that will almost certainly decide this game. URI is turning the ball over at an alarming rate and many are unforced turnovers. I know this is not the Shaka Smart's HAVOC defense, but they still apply plenty of full court pressure from what I've seen from them this year and that is both a good and bad thing for URI. Bad because we've been extremely careless with the ball and good because it will give us a chance to score points without having to run a half court offense.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

This squad has to click again like they did vs the Pirates because they're capable and maybe this is the game. Stakes are high, backs against the wall. Get it done.
Last edited by Rhodymob05 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
GO RAMS
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

We live rent free in their heads
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Don’t feel good about this one at all 78-68 VCU
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

VCU leads the A10 in:
  • FT Shooting
  • Blocked Shots
  • Steals
  • Lowest Opponent Points per Game
VCU has won 7 straight games moving their record to 9-2. Only losses to #15 Ranked West Virginia in Sioux Falls and @ Penn State by 3 points.
Last edited by ramster 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Dino611 wrote: 3 years ago We live rent free in their heads
.......yeah, I think we do......break out game(s) for multiple Rhody players......no?.......sure, why not?.......we are built to steal some games......
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Shinze88 wrote: 3 years ago
This is the obvious point that will almost certainly decide this game. URI is turning the ball over at an alarming rate and many are unforced turnovers. I know this is not the Shaka Smart's HAVOC defense, but they still apply plenty of full court pressure from what I've seen from them this year and that is both a good and bad thing for URI. Bad because we've been extremely careless with the ball and good because it will give us a chance to score points without having to run a half court offense.
I think VCU is dumb enough to not play a zone against us.

Could be the perfect mojo restoring game :)
4 x
BlackDogRants
Steve Chubin

Unread post by BlackDogRants »

Ill speed things up for what is likely to come...

That was an ugly game and I pretty much blame Cox.

(Meant in good fun guys - obviously I want a win)
2 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

2 teams heading in opposite directions, bad matchup for the Blue Rams, I can see us either turning things around and winning by 4 or the more likely result of VCU 80 - URI 65

Hope I'm wrong but the turnovers are certainly going to hurt in this matchup.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

A large part of Rhody's success against VCU of late is because we've been able to roll out two great ballhandlers when needed against them. First Jarvis and Jeff, then Jeff and Fatts. Who's going to step up to take that second spot in this one?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Shinze88 wrote: 3 years ago
This post gets at another reason we've been more successful against VCU than other teams like Davidson and we've been their nemesis, we're one of the few teams in the conference that can match their athleticism and their defense doesn't lend itself toward forcing us to grind out successful half court possessions. We've been averaging 17.5 turnovers per game in conference, if another ballhandler will step up we'll have fewer than the 17.5 we've been averaging, we'll get plenty of transition points and it will be a close game. If another ballhandler doesn't step up you can turn this one off at halftime and go about the rest of your Saturday
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Was it the VCU fans who claimed Dave said something derogatory to a player or maybe a fan? And then when there was literally no proof just continued to believe that and be mad anyway?

VCU was in the A10 for about a minute before they decided they were already too good for the conference. Settle down.
3 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

VCU is not a team to be careless with the ball against.

This will be a game that we either somehow win out of our ass because our shots fall, or we will get blown out by 20.

I am hoping for the former. I am expecting the latter.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

In a comparison of per game statistics.
VCU is better in PTS, AST, STL, BLK, FG%, FT% and 3P%.
URI is better in REB and TO.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago In a comparison of per game statistics.
......so, so , so......we win right? Go Rhody!
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago In a comparison of per game statistics.
We're better in turnovers? I assume that's a defensive stat? It surely can't be an offensive stat.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Very huge that we don't have to deal with their crowd
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Let’s find Bones Hyland and find him early or it will be a long afternoon
1 x
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

I think we pull this one out. Need to tighten up our play but we have a good shot here. Optically it would look great with their rating and it being on the road. The only thing that scares me is our recent success with VCU! I feel like they are due for a win vs Rhody. Hoping our luck vs VCU continues.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago VCU is not a team to be careless with the ball against.

This will be a game that we either somehow win out of our ass because our shots fall, or we will get blown out by 20.

I am hoping for the former. I am expecting the latter.
I don't think we will get blown out, actually I feel this is a very winnable game for us.
The 2 additional practice days down there should help
VCU doesn't have the same star power or talent as Richmond and we kept that game close with all our sloppy play.
Their best win was against Memphis, which isn't that strong this year.
VCU did have a much easier time with St. Joes than we did, which is very concerning.
We obviously need to reduce turnovers to win, our overall talent is better and our bench is stronger.
Our team should be fired up, we need a good effort, and come out of the gate with a purpose.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Interesting comment from VCU Board

We owned them until Dowtin showed up and since then they have won 8 of the last 9. I know it was not all him, but he was always a match-up nightmare for us and really played well against us. Glad he is gone, so the proper order of the world can be restored
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 3 years ago Interesting comment from VCU Board

We owned them until Dowtin showed up and since then they have won 8 of the last 9. I know it was not all him, but he was always a match-up nightmare for us and really played well against us. Glad he is gone, so the proper order of the world can be restored
Miss Jeff, he seemed to have a calming affect on our team, always trusted him with the ball.
1 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Bones is a nightmare for opposing teams (us in this case) hopefully we can disrupt his game early and often, get him playing on his heels for a while.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

I would LOVE a win so I can enjoy 50+ pages of there fans throwing fits on how we live rent free in there heads. TBH get fatts going like he did last year and send bones a message early that it’ll be tough and I think we’ll be fine
Last edited by Dino611 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

The way we are playing I don’t see a win vs a good team on the road , I hope I am dead wrong
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Maybe this is the game where their inconsistency shows up in the positive . If your team is inconsistent it means you have good and bad games .
Could it be time for the good game to pop up and spoil things for VCU ? It has happened there plenty of times . I wouldn't bet my house on it , but
wouldn't bet against it either.
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

I see a big win today.

I also don't see very well ...
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Good points from Rowdy. Make foul shots, don’t turn the ball over, and make some threes. Make it happen!!!
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Any sort of chance of grabbing an at large bid feels like it would be very dependent on getting a W today. Q1 opportunity, followed by 5 straight games where URI is favored. You’d have the record looking better with a few decent wins on the resume before a tougher stretch vs Day, VCU, STL, Dav, Day in a two week span.

Again some of this is just mental but you get a win today and that can change the mentality for players. Let them tune up in those next 5 games and really get some mojo going into that tougher stretch
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

KingstonLane wrote: 3 years ago Any sort of chance of grabbing an at large bid feels like it would be very dependent on getting a W today. Q1 opportunity, followed by 5 straight games where URI is favored. You’d have the record looking better with a few decent wins on the resume before a tougher stretch vs Day, VCU, STL, Dav, Day in a two week span.

Again some of this is just mental but you get a win today and that can change the mentality for players. Let them tune up in those next 5 games and really get some mojo going into that tougher stretch
Will you share your stash of magic weed?

We could win out and the at large bid we would receive would be to the NIT.

At large talk is done. The only way in is to win in Brooklyn.

Now the focus should be getting better, improving and playing as a team so a magical 3-4 days can happen in March.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago
KingstonLane wrote: 3 years ago Any sort of chance of grabbing an at large bid feels like it would be very dependent on getting a W today. Q1 opportunity, followed by 5 straight games where URI is favored. You’d have the record looking better with a few decent wins on the resume before a tougher stretch vs Day, VCU, STL, Dav, Day in a two week span.

Now the focus should be getting better, improving and playing as a team so a magical 3-4 days can happen in March.
Ya, not a chance we get a bid without the automatic one.

To add to your post, I think we should also make sure Ish gets more minutes than Carey... Carey has had plenty of opportunities to prove what he can do in 20+ minutes. Ish is last on the team in minutes per game!!! Carey is 4th.. What is our head coach watching?
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Carey's athleticism is amazing, but his decision-making is awful.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago Carey's athleticism is amazing, but his decision-making is awful.
Agreed - but he also sat out an entire year. Sit out transfers rarely come in and play efficiently.
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I know it won’t happen, but win out and we are likely in the tourney. That would be 19-6 with wins over Seton Hall, St. Louis., St. Bona, VCU (who has a high NET), San Francisco. At large is not officially dead. We CAN win our way back onto the bubble. We probably won’t, but is is possible. First step is VCU game, then take care of business against the bottom of the conference.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago

I know it won’t happen, but win out and we are likely in the tourney. That would be 19-6 with wins over Seton Hall, St. Louis., St. Bona, VCU (who has a high NET), San Francisco. At large is not officially dead. We CAN win our way back onto the bubble. We probably won’t, but is is possible. First step is VCU game, then take care of business against the bottom of the conference.
The A10 has a handful of high net teams now. We have a cavalcade of shit teams with low nets who will steal a few random games. The low net rating is like pink eye and with all the shit flying around this league everyone will get it and be a lower net by the end.

The OOC is where you need to make your bones.

BC will end up a bad loss. WKU probably the same. San Fran will not be a q1. Seton Hall is the one shot and as we’ve seen plenty of times in this league it will n be enough.

For a board who has been around for a bit, it amazes me how we can all forget what happens to schools from this conference on selection sunday.
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

For what it’s worth, WKU is 9-3 with a win over Alabama, so they’re in pretty good shape to avoid being a bad loss for us. BC, may be the only bad OOC loss we have.
1 x
GO RAMS
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Sorry folks.

The battle this season will be to finish above .500.

Some are still living in a land of make believe.

We might finish 15-10, if we play all our games.

And that's if we improve some.
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I may regret this in a few hours...but I think I actually like our chances today. Too often it feels like we allow our opponent to dictate tempo, but in the case of VCU I think that could work in our favor. Fatts gets back on track and we sneak out of town with the W.
2 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

adam914 wrote: 3 years ago I may regret this in a few hours...but I think I actually like our chances today. Too often it feels like we allow our opponent to dictate tempo, but in the case of VCU I think that could work in our favor. Fatts gets back on track and we sneak out of town with the W.
Yo, Adam’s here! Hi!
3 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ace wrote: 3 years ago
adam914 wrote: 3 years ago I may regret this in a few hours...but I think I actually like our chances today. Too often it feels like we allow our opponent to dictate tempo, but in the case of VCU I think that could work in our favor. Fatts gets back on track and we sneak out of town with the W.
Yo, Adam’s here! Hi!
Ha! Hi! Yeah dipping my toes back in the water. Can't promise I won't jump right back out! :lol:
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Sorry folks.

Sounds kinda likely, but it's nobody's fault. They just need a few more years of "playing together" "to gel"... :roll:
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Sorry folks.

Sounds kinda likely, but it's nobody's fault. They just need a few more years of "playing together" "to gel"... :roll:
And every time a transfer leaves the clock resets on when we can get it together.

Don’t worry. It will happen. I base that on nothing but blind faith. Believe!!
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL