Makhel Mitchell

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Makhel Mitchell

Unread post by PeteRI »

15 points on 7-10 shooting and 8 rebounds in 26 minutes today. I bet his "little" brother's proud of him. I know I am!
10 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Re: Makhel Mitchell

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Love his progression, coming along very very nicely this last month.
2 x
Go Rhody
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Imagine if we had both Mitchells... Loss of Makhi cannot be underestimated as he looked like he was getting more and more comfortable.. hopefully for the next 2 years we will reap the benefits of a solid frontcourt in the twins
5 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

ram1980 wrote: 3 years ago Imagine if we had both Mitchells... Loss of Makhi cannot be underestimated as he looked like he was getting more and more comfortable.. hopefully for the next 2 years we will reap the benefits of a solid frontcourt in the twins
Yes, that was a big loss, would of been a huge advantage for us.
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

I've really been impressed with Makhel's touch in the lane and around the rim. He looks like he's ready for some double-double games.
1 x
Urifan91
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Urifan91 »

PeteRI wrote: 3 years ago I've really been impressed with Makhel's touch in the lane and around the rim. He looks like he's ready for some double-double games.
vs Richmond would be a good time to get one. The Spiders seem to get out rebounded a lot so it could be possible.
2 x
Ibn34
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Ibn34 »

Kid is taking some steps for sure. Starting to get more sure handed. Finishing much better. Rebounding too. More importantly, not fouling as much. He’s getting better 🦾
5 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

He finishes with authority and his a nice little touch around the hoop , needs to work on his open 15 footer and FTS
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I dont think we have appreciated his play enough. We have not seen this type of player around here in a long time. Or kinda ever. 6'10 dude who can hit a hook shot and is very athletic?
5 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago I dont think we have appreciated his play enough. We have not seen this type of player around here in a long time. Or kinda ever. 6'10 dude who can hit a hook shot and is very athletic?
Agree, he is under appreciated. A true back to the basket player who actually dunks it home every chance he gets. None of that Wil Martell (no offense) shit
4 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

I'm pleasantly surprised by Makhel. Not only is a true back to the basket player, I don't hold my breath expecting a turnover every time he puts it on the floor. Huge upside and watch out when his brother is back and has some time to improve.
6 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago I dont think we have appreciated his play enough. We have not seen this type of player around here in a long time. Or kinda ever. 6'10 dude who can hit a hook shot and is very athletic?
Amen.
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

A True big man. Need more of his type in the future.
1 x
GO RAMS
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

URI_05 wrote: 3 years ago I'm pleasantly surprised by Makhel. Not only is a true back to the basket player, I don't hold my breath expecting a turnover every time he puts it on the floor. Huge upside and watch out when his brother is back and has some time to improve.
The pass that he threw to Fatts that went about ten feet to Fatts left out of bounds and the turnover one off his knee were quite gnarly....BUT yes I think we are all surprised. I thought he was suppose to be the lesser of the two brothers and that he would be extremely raw offensively. Both twins were way better than I thought. Did not expect immediate impacts out of them.

It sucks so bad that Makhi got hurt, but next year with both guys healthy, and hopefully with a few more pounds of muscle on them they could really be a force.

I think we have already seen through three games that Makhel is a bit of a match up nightmare in the A-10 already.

If there's anything that can get you excited for next year its watching those two.
2 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Despite how talented Hassan was defensively I always got nervous when we played a true 6'10+ center. Same can be said about Berry + Langevine. Mitchell is a big man that doesn't get backed down by many. I can't imagine the damage we would've done if we had someone like him to pair with Hassan.

I love the idea of both Mitchell twins for years to come. Pair them with Leggett and we have a nucleus to build around.
2 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

On top of everything else, they appear to be great teammates and extremely likeable, if I remember correct, their were some questions about their character when they signed here, I've seen nothing but positive things from both of the brothers.
3 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Both have been better than expected. Project forward a year and I don’t see how anyone in the league will be able to matchup with us up front.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

The future is bright with those twins down low and they will keep improving
2 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Loved his game against the Hawks except for not handing that last poor pass i regulation off his leg. He really impressed me with his fluidity and his hands.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

He took a step back tonight was outplayed by Grant G who I can’t stand
0 x
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

He has been great this year....way beyond what I expected.
2 x
Ibn34
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Ibn34 »

reef wrote: 3 years ago He took a step back tonight was outplayed by Grant G who I can’t stand
Getting outplayed by Golden (who I can’t stand either) is nothing to be ashamed of. Not at all. He’s quietly done that to guys his entire career. Twin is not equipped with the kinds experience, savvy, and teaching to deal with Golden alone. 2 seasons from now, he should be the best big in this league. If DEVELOPMENT takes place. We all know that’s not a given here in Kingston.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Ibn34 wrote: 3 years ago
reef wrote: 3 years ago He took a step back tonight was outplayed by Grant G who I can’t stand
Getting outplayed by Golden (who I can’t stand either) is nothing to be ashamed of. Not at all. He’s quietly done that to guys his entire career. Twin is not equipped with the kinds experience, savvy, and teaching to deal with Golden alone. 2 seasons from now, he should be the best big in this league. If DEVELOPMENT takes place. We all know that’s not a given here in Kingston.
Agreed, and Golden got 3-4 buckets off penetration where he dished to a wide open Golden bc Makhel came to help...in 1 v 1 matchups he more than held his own especially for a sophomore with limited game experience. The game will inevitably slow down for Makhel and he will continue to blossom; he does need to work on keeping his emotions in check as he does seem to get in personal 1 on 1 battles with guys. That will come with more maturity. Can't afford stupid techs, he could have gotten another 1 yesterday for hanging on the rim I thought the refs were really liberal to not call that. Same goes for Carey.
1 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

Agree. It looked like Golden tried to get under his skin by talking smack.
Not sure if that was in the scouting report or if Golden is just an ass. I'd guess the latter.

I think that Makhel did pretty well not to react.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Golden is tough always looking to pass and set screens , I want him gone
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

reef wrote: 3 years ago Golden is tough always looking to pass and set screens , I want him gone
Goddamn hippie. 🌈 I'd take him on my team any day, however - except on days the dealer's in town.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

PeteRI wrote: 3 years ago
reef wrote: 3 years ago Golden is tough always looking to pass and set screens , I want him gone
Goddamn hippie. 🌈 I'd take him on my team any day, however - except on days the dealer's in town.
If he's on your team here, tho...it's only a half hour drive to Fall River...(according to a friend)
1 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Gonna be a stud. Both Mitchell’s should continue to grow in this system.
1 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

He didn’t do much today but you can see his potential , both he and his brother will be a force to be reckoned with
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

23 points tonight on 77% shooting in 34 minutes while playing solid D on one of the best bigs in the A10. 🌠💥 His free throws need work, but Makhel has exceeded my wildest expectations.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

He played well with the stat line but a lot of those were uncontested dunks off nice passes and he kills us with 3-9 line

If I am an opposing coach I am fouling him in a close game late
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

reef wrote: 3 years ago He played well with the stat line but a lot of those were uncontested dunks off nice passes and he kills us with 3-9 line

AND....here comes Debbie Downer!
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Mitchell was awesome last night. Yes, his free throws drastically need work, but he played one of the best bigs in the country extremely well. If he didn't get Tre into foul trouble we probably lose by double digits.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

One good thing is that makhel isn’t as bad as Hassan French when it comes to free because my god he takes it to a whole new level of FT shooting
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

With Makhel supposedly being the less skilled twin, I can’t wait until Makhi is fully healthy so he can show out.
2 x
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

reef wrote: 3 years ago He played well with the stat line but a lot of those were uncontested dunks off nice passes and he kills us with 3-9 line

If uncontested dunk are so easy, ponder this.

Mitchell had more dunks last night than Harris’ whole CAREER.

Think about how ridiculous that is.
1 x
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Makhel and Makhi are the building blocks to next years team. Along with Ish. Surround them with shooting and guys who want to play defense. If we aren’t a top tier A10 team with 2 good 6’10 guys then we have problems.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago With Makhel supposedly being the less skilled twin, I can’t wait until Makhi is fully healthy so he can show out.
This 100%
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Nm
Last edited by ramster 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago With Makhel supposedly being the less skilled twin, I can’t wait until Makhi is fully healthy so he can show out.
This 100%
It’s true Makhi was higher rated than Makhel

But consider Makhel replaced Makhi in the starting line up after the first 2 games of this season by David Cox and he remained the starter. Makhi was not injured when he lost his starting spot.

We should know that rankings are only part of the story having seen Harris and Carey both Top 100 Ranked Players.

From GoRhody Roster Bios:
Makhi Mitchell - Before Rhode Island
Rated a 4-star recruit via 247, ESPN, and Rivals
Ranked the No. 2 player in Washington, D.C. via 247
Ranked the No. 11 center nationally via Rivals
Ranked the No. 52 player overall via Rivals
Ranked No. 64 in the ESPN Top 100

Makhel Mitchell - Before Rhode Island
Rated a 4-star recruit via Rivals and 3-star recruit via ESPN and 247
Ranked the No. 18 center in the 2019 recruiting class via Rivals
Ranked the No. 107 player nationally via Rivals
Ranked the No. 3 player in Washington, D.C. via 247
0 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

I'm starting to think the Mitchell twins out on the floor together will be very scary for the rest of the A10 in the near future.
3 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 3 years ago I'm starting to think the Mitchell twins out on the floor together will be very scary for the rest of the A10 in the near future.
Couldn’t agree more seeing makhel being able to dominate only as a sophomore just shows how dangerous they will be when they reach their senior year
1 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Both Mitchell’s healthy next year, along with Ish, and Walker as a senior leader on the team...I like the thought of it!
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Talk about impressive. Makhel missed all 4 free throws in the first half. Before the second half he took 50+ practice shots from the line and shot 8 for 9.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

They are going to dominate the A10 for next couple years.
Having 2 of them is a ridiculous luxury we must take advantage of.

Makhel is averaging 12 and 6 in A10 games as basically a first year player. We have never had that from the 5 spot.
1 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

Coffee Talk.

The absence of Makhi has greatly helped the development of Makhel out on the floor.

They are both guilty of focusing too much on one another when they are both out there, which is what they are used to, but Makhel has really always followed Makhi's lead. Makhi's absence means Makhel has to figure it out on his own out there with no distraction.

Could make them both better in the long run.
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

PeteRI wrote: 3 years ago I've really been impressed with Makhel's touch in the lane and around the rim. He looks like he's ready for some double-double games.
Called it. 😀
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I wonder if we’d be able to start and play them both at the same time time year.

Walker isn’t going anywhere and has been great this year, but having both of them is such a luxury.
0 x
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I think they are too similar of players to be out there same time a lot. Need the 4 guy to stretch the floor in modern game can’t have 2 guys parked down low. But for short stretches I’m sure it can work.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago I think they are too similar of players to be out there same time a lot. Need the 4 guy to stretch the floor in modern game can’t have 2 guys parked down low. But for short stretches I’m sure it can work.
Makhi showed he has the ability to create off the dribble a bit, but I agree having one come off the bench would work better.

Walker has played very well and deserves to start the rest of his career here.
0 x
Go Rhody