1/3 | Saint Joseph’s | 4:30PM (NBCSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

1/3 | Saint Joseph’s | 4:30PM (NBCSN)

Unread post by spookydog »

University of Rhode Island vs Saint Joseph’s University
Ryan Center, Kingston, RI
Sunday, January 3, 2021
4:30PM

Media
TV: NBCSN
Online: NBCSN
Radio: 101.5 FM (B101) or Tune In Radio App

Previews:
Saint Joe’s Fan Forum

The Rams lace them back up Sunday afternoon as they play their third home conference game in a row against the lowly hawks of Saint Joseph’s. The Hawks, with second year head coach Billy Lange, are winless on the season, although I should mention that half of those loses (3) where against top 10 teams. This team is VERY guard oriented as their entire roster are guards except for 1 forward & 1 center (& he barely plays). Funny enough their 6’8” freshman forward is leading the team in assists per game. As in years past, the offense of Saint Joe’s runs through senior Ryan Daly. He is leading them in points & rebounds but the good news for Rhody is he is struggling from behind the arc. His 17% from 3 makes even Fatts cringe. Taylor Funk could be a potential matchup problem who I am guessing Walker will matchup against. Walker can’t sag off of him on D as he will gladly fire it up from long distance. Rhody should win this game but they really need to not turn the ball over as much. They can’t expect to win again if they turn it over 24 times like the last game. Let’s get another strong game from Walker, Sheppard & Harris & they win this easily. If Fatts gets going (I know, I know) & Ish does Ish type things, forget about it. Let’s start the new year off on the right foot. Rhody has won 4 straight against the Hawks & they should make it 5 in a row on Sunday. Rhody wins 73-61. Happy New Year! Wear a Mask & Go Rhody!

Opponent
Record:
0-6, 0-1 in the Atlantic 10
Last season: 2-16, 6-26 in the Atlantic 10

Rankings (URI):
RPI: 115 (83)
KenPom: 175 (75)
NCAA NET: 240 (57)*
BPI: 285 (78)
Sagarin: 199 (78)
* = Last Year’s Rankings

Leaders:
Points – Ryan Daly 17.2 (Sr., G)
Rebounds – Ryan Daly 6.2 (Sr., G)
Assists – Jordan Hall 4.5 (Fr., F) (1.7 TO per game)

Historical
Series: 48-57
H: 26-23, A: 20-31, N: 2-3
Most Recent Matchup: 2/15/20 73-55 W at URI
Most Recent Win Streak: 4 – URI
Match-up Predictor: 92.1% Chance of URI Winning
0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Re: 1/3 | Saint Joseph’s | 4:30PM (NBCSN)

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Big time trap game here before a road trip featuring two Q1 opportunities.

Take care of business Sunday, iron out some kinks, and be trending up for an important week vs Richmond and VCU
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Hate playing teams that haven't won a game, but if we have the same defensive intensity we had against St Bonaventure we will blow the doors off of them.

Let's see some vintage Fatts in this one and let's not throw the ball out of bounds 87 times and find a rhythm!
1 x
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

KingstonLane wrote: 3 years ago Big time trap game here before a road trip featuring two Q1 opportunities.

Take care of business Sunday, iron out some kinks, and be trending up for an important week vs Richmond and VCU
SJ’s record is deceiving. Rhody better bring some fire.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Basically have to have this one. Can’t start the league year losing 2 of 3 at home with games at Richmond and VCU on the horizon.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Daly did not play the other night vs VCU.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

eli#10 wrote: 3 years ago Daly did not play the other night vs VCU.
I think they're better without him.

Makes me remember how they beat Davidson last year without him and then Davidson beat us the next game.

Kinda like when 1-3 Charlotte beat Davidson easily and then Davidson beat us again this year

IM SPIRALING
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

80-67 URI
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Daly's the kid who looks like a beer league softball player and goes off for 30, right? Scares the 💩 out of me.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Correct
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

PeteRI wrote: 3 years ago Daly's the kid who looks like a beer league softball player and goes off for 30, right? Scares the 💩 out of me.
........how come we don’t get players like that......?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

section(105) wrote: 3 years ago
PeteRI wrote: 3 years ago Daly's the kid who looks like a beer league softball player and goes off for 30, right? Scares the 💩 out of me.
I went to the game last year in Philly, we had a nice come-back win. It seemed like Daly carried their whole team, I left being so impressed by this guy who just knows how to put the ball in the basket. By the way, Fatts had one of his better games.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago
section(105) wrote: 3 years ago
I went to the game last year in Philly, we had a nice come-back win. It seemed like Daly carried their whole team, I left being so impressed by this guy who just knows how to put the ball in the basket. By the way, Fatts had one of his better games.
Fatts needs to pretend this is in Philly
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Love this matchup Fatts v Daly , this may be the game that Fatts gets out of his funk baby
1 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

I was at the game also and Fatts led our comeback in the second half. This was the game that Dowtin did not play in and we found out about 90 minutes before the tip off. We were visiting with Dowtin's father as the team came out for warm ups just before the game and he did not even know that his son was not eligible for that one game. Thank you NCAA but we still won.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 3 years ago Love this matchup Fatts v Daly , this may be the game that Fatts gets out of his funk baby
Taylor Funk is shooting 36% from 3FG for the Hawks :D :D
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

eli#10 wrote: 3 years ago I was at the game also and Fatts led our comeback in the second half. This was the game that Dowtin did not play in and we found out about 90 minutes before the tip off. We were visiting with Dowtin's father as the team came out for warm ups just before the game and he did not even know that his son was not eligible for that one game. Thank you NCAA but we still won.
Yes, that was the craziest thing. I was also discussing this with Jeff's father just prior to the start. My wife and I were sitting directly behind them, right above the bleachers. Jacob's mother was also seated next to them and they were all very candid and friendly.
2 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Fatts hasn't shot well this year and he was/was close to being the worst three point player in the nation last year. He is either in a record slump or he is not a good three point shooter.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago Fatts hasn't shot well this year and he was/was close to being the worst three point player in the nation last year. He is either in a record slump or he is not a good three point shooter.
........who knew there were records for slumps......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 3 years ago
The game is on Sunday, Bill.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......he is very busy covering two teams.......maybe he has a case of FF........friar fog, which I hear blows in from time to time over the Smith Hill Saints neighborhood........ya know, where the mental hospital used to be.......
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

St. Joes is like Fordham, they almost always play us tough.

Doesn't matter who they have playing.

We need to worry about who WE have playing, and how they are playing.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago St. Joes is like Fordham, they almost always play us tough.

Doesn't matter who they have playing.

We need to worry about who WE have playing, and how they are playing.
This matchup always concerns me, we have to step up our game regardless of who is playing. I hope we figured some things out in the last few days and correct those careless mistakes.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Correcting them completely all of a sudden would be impossible.....just reduce the mistakes and continue to do so as the games are played.

Cox has to start giving the guys who are playing better more and more minutes, to establish some sort of consistency.

It's like guys have a certain number of minutes they are going to get each game, no matter how they may be playing in that game.

Sit the stragglers more, and establish a solid rotation of 6 -7 guys. More continuity please.

We've played enough games by now, to tell who's playing better.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Correcting them completely all of a sudden would be impossible.....just reduce the mistakes and continue to do so as the games are played.

Cox has to start giving the guys who are playing better more and more minutes, to establish some sort of consistency.

It's like guys have a certain number of minutes they are going to get each game, no matter how they may be playing in that game.

Sit the stragglers more, and establish a solid rotation of 6 -7 guys. More continuity please.

That’s a dangerous game, because you risk damaging a kids confidence. A coach has to stand by his guys, to a fault. I say that to say, I don’t envy that job... at all.

And while I agree, as a fan, with your sentiments, because I would’ve sat Fatts and Carey majority of last game, and played DJ and AB a lot more. I guess it’s like juggling swords and apples and the same time.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Correcting them completely all of a sudden would be impossible.....just reduce the mistakes and continue to do so as the games are played.

Yes agreed, I don't expect them to play an errorless game, but 24 turnovers is unacceptable.
I think Cox is finding it difficult to tighten the rotation right now because they just haven't figured it out yet. The play has been very inconsistent and different players have been stepping up at certain times and other times they disappear.
Almost every player is capable of having a big game, but not doing it on a regular basis.
Just look at the response on this board, in one game a player may be thrown under the bus and in the next one they are praised. JH, DJ, Malik, Jeremy, and Fatts are prime examples.
At this point, I am not sure who you would pull out, especially because this team has a tendency to get into foul trouble.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago

Yes agreed, I don't expect them to play an errorless game, but 24 turnovers is unacceptable.
I think Cox is finding it difficult to tighten the rotation right now because they just haven't figured it out yet. The play has been very inconsistent and different players have been stepping up at certain times and other times they disappear.
Almost every player is capable of having a big game, but not doing it on a regular basis.
Just look at the response on this board, in one game a player may be thrown under the bus and in the next one they are praised. JH, DJ, Malik, Jeremy, and Fatts are prime examples.
At this point, I am not sure who you would pull out, especially because this team has a tendency to get into foul trouble.
Bingo!!! This team has been consistently inconsistent.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Come on Billy K you are better than that know when the game is please

Hard to feel good about 24 turnovers but it’s the win that counts and hopefully we play a much cleaner game and get an easy win on Sunday
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

One thing's for sure, give Leggett more minutes as the season goes along.

Can only help his development going forward.

Fatts is the only player who isn't limited minutes wise, but if he's injured, give some of those to Leggett.
1 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I don't see how anyone including Cox could have this team figured out yet, to the point of shortening the rotation. Maybe by A10 tourney time. For now IMO we got to give them all significant minutes for at least the rest of January. Injuries etc tend to make things shake out anyway.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Play Fatts 30-32 minutes a game and hope he gets his outside shooting touch back
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

If Cox hasn't figured out his players at this point, it is because of his lack of experience. Even if Cox figures some things out incorrectly, the team will play better because of the message it will send. He is making himself look like a rec league coach.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 3 years ago Play Fatts 30-32 minutes a game and hope he gets his outside shooting touch back
........and that sums up what the current identity of the team is this year......rotations, shorten the bench etc, .....whatever.......for me does not matter cause this is where we are......ride Fatts until he moves on, and the results will speak for themselves......sorry, back to St. Joes game......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

I get your hatred for PC. Understandable. That campus has become state of the art and the athletic facilities are as good as any in the Big East. That mental hospital line is getting old.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Cameron_Dollar wrote: 3 years ago 105,
I get your hatred for PC. Understandable. That campus has become state of the art and the athletic facilities are as good as any in the Big East. That mental hospital line is getting old.
......yeah I know......but many things old are still good for some of us......
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Cameron_Dollar wrote: 3 years ago 105,
That campus? If you could call it that. That is by far a campus. More like a camp. The enrollment is like 4k. URI is close to 20k. URI's freshman class is almost bigger than pc's entire student body. Go back to your mental institute.
3 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Time for Rhody to step it up and dominate from start to finish with guys starting to assert themselves, while sharing the ball. Hoping to see improvement on Sunday.
3 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Have I mentioned that I can not stand this school or their men's bb program lately? I despise this team only a fraction less than PeeCee. Of all the cheap shit that has happened to us from dirty plays to home town ref's St. Joe's must account for half
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I like Bishop a lot. But, St. Joe’s sucks, and I’m still mad about Jarvis and KI. URI should run them out of the gym. Lange will probably end up being ok, but this group, especially without Daly, is awful, New players or not, the Rams have been one of the fortunate teams to have not experienced missed practices or games. A game like this is where they should figure it out and use that advantage.
Last edited by ace 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

Is that vomitous Hawk making the trip?
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

NHRamFan wrote: 3 years ago Is that vomitous Hawk making the trip?
No, mascots aren’t allowed. The Hawk does have a livestream of them flapping away throughout the whole game, though, so yeah...
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Given the present characteristics of this team - deep bench, a lack of cohesiveness, many different players all capable of having bad and good games, inconsistency - this is a scenario where playing to the level of the competition is common. My view is probably affected by my attending the St. Joe's game at Hagan last year when URI was outplayed most of the contest by the Hawks with the Rams coming to life in the last 10 minutes of game. I expect a Rhody win today, but it may be a nerve wrecker.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Obadiah wrote: 3 years ago Given the present characteristics of this team - deep bench, a lack of cohesiveness, many different players all capable of having bad and good games, inconsistency - this is a scenario where playing to the level of the competition is common. My view is probably affected by my attending the St. Joe's game at Hagan last year when URI was outplayed most of the contest by the Hawks with the Rams coming to life in the last 10 minutes of game. I expect a Rhody win today, but it may be a nerve wrecker.
Not having Dowtin that game really hurt and especially finding out the last minute, was quite a shock. Haven't heard about Ryan Daly's status for the game, yet.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

UCH21377 wrote: 3 years ago I don't see how anyone including Cox could have this team figured out yet, to the point of shortening the rotation. Maybe by A10 tourney time. For now IMO we got to give them all significant minutes for at least the rest of January. Injuries etc tend to make things shake out anyway.
I'm fine with playing a deep rotation, but Ish's lack of playing time makes me wonder what Cox has been watching. How many times will Carey stand there and get outworked and outhustled by an opponent?? I believe Carey could be a great piece, but he needs to earn those minutes back. Ish has earned more minutes, and if Cox refuses to sit Fatts, it needs to be Carey.
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Obadiah wrote: 3 years ago Given the present characteristics of this team - deep bench, a lack of cohesiveness, many different players all capable of having bad and good games, inconsistency - this is a scenario where playing to the level of the competition is common. My view is probably affected by my attending the St. Joe's game at Hagan last year when URI was outplayed most of the contest by the Hawks with the Rams coming to life in the last 10 minutes of game. I expect a Rhody win today, but it may be a nerve wrecker.
This has frustrating performance written all over it.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

We won ugly last game so today let’s look more efficient and win easily
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago
SmartyBarrett wrote: 3 years ago
The game is on Sunday, Bill.
And I also don’t think missing Daly is a “major blow”. He doesn’t shoot a high percentage at all.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

This is the write up by a poster on the St Joe Message Board

Up Next at URI Sunday 4:30 PM

JoeCabrey
Posted on Jan 1st, 7:09 PM, , , User Post Count: 0
Jan 1st, 7:09 PM

The Hawks will travel to Kingston to meet the Rams who are 4-5 overall and 1-1 in A10 games. They had an early win over Seton Hall, dropped their conference opener to Davidson and beat the Bonnies in their most recent game.

Schedule
https://gorhody.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule

Statistically they mirror opponents in nearly every category except steals where they have a slight edge. They take just 32.4% of their shots for threes compared to 49.1% for the Hawks.

They have two in double figures as a 5’11” senior guard Fatts Russell leads with 13.8 ppg, and a team high of 3.8 assists. He has yet to find the range for threes making just 9 of his 43 attempts for 20.9% A 6’1” senior guard Jeremy Sheppard averages 10.1 ppg. shooting 50% overall and 44.8% for threes.
R-Jr Antwan Walker just missed double figures with 8.4 ppg. and leads the Rams with 7.6 rebounds a game.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/gorhody.com/do ... mbined.pdf

Meet the Rams
https://gorhody.com/sports/mens-basketb ... ath=mbball

Head Coach David Cox has gone 39-24 in his first two seasons leading in Kingston. He also served as an assistant there to Dan Hurley. In his initial campaign David was named as one of 12 national finalists for the 2019 Joe B. Hall Award, which is presented annually to the top first-year coach in Division I.

https://gorhody.com/sports/mens-basketb ... id-cox/668

Rams fans take on the game

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8731

Media
The game will be televised on NBCSN and SJU audio streamed at https://tunein.com/
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Will be interesting to see how the SJU Guards match up with Russell, Sheppard and Martin. All 3 are 6’5”.

Cameron Brown; 6-5
Greg Foster; 6-5
Dahmir Bishop; 6-5
Taylor Funk; 6-8
Anthony Longpre; 6-10
0 x