12/18 | Davidson College | 7:00PM (ESPNU)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

12/18 | Davidson College | 7:00PM (ESPNU)

Unread post by spookydog »

University of Rhode Island vs Davidson College
Ryan Center, Kingston, RI
Friday, December 18, 2020
7:00PM

Media
TV: ESPNU
Online: ESPNU
Radio: 101.5 FM (B101) or Tune In Radio App

Previews:
Davidson’s Fan Forum

Well, I will just say it here in the preview. Are we mediocre? I can’t put my finger on this team. We battled back against a top 20 team in Arizona State to make it a game. The next night we can’t hit a shot to save our lives & lose an ugly one against Boston College, who apparently sucks as we are there only win & they just lost to Syracuse at home by about 40. Then we rattle off a stretch of 3 decisive wins in a row. The team looks like it is gelling together, a deep bench with everyone contributing and playing significant minutes. Spirits are high. Then a last-minute trip to Madison against a top 10 team & although losing by 11 all was not lost. Everyone felt good going into the Western Kentucky game even though the Rams were slight underdogs & Rhody comes out of the gate ice cold. They have 15 turnovers & their 3 starting guards shoot 23.5% from the field & 1 for 8 from deep. Fatts is dinged up & Makhi plays only 5 minutes before falling into a heap on the floor (& is now out for the season). Rhody starts conference play with a lot of question marks & I am not sure how many answers. They open league play at home against Davidson, who they have lost 5 of the last 6 against (3 of those losses are one score games). Davidson has 2 losses on the season, by a combined 3 points. They lost to a ranked Texas team by 2 & missed a game winner from point blank range to lose to the Friars. The Wildcats are led by senior & Tottenham Hotspur’s Dele Alli lookalike, Kellan Grady. Hyungjung Lee has made a big jump from his freshman to sophomore year, averaging 17, 4, & 4. Guard Carter Collins is shooting how we were hoping Fatts would shoot this season, 57/52/90. Davidson was picked to finish 7th in the A10 preseason poll, right behind Rhody, so you know this will be a battle and 417th year head coach Bob McKillop will have this team ready to play. I am stating the obvious here, but URI must hit open jumpers & not turn the ball over as much as they did against WKY. If that happens, URI should win a tight one. If not, get ready for a shitshow. My prediction, URI wins Friday night, 75-72. God, I hope I am proven right. Wear a Mask & Go Rhody!

Opponent
Record:
3-2, 0-0 in the Atlantic 10
Last season: 16-14, 10-8 in the Atlantic 10

Rankings (URI):
RPI: 243 (231)
KenPom: 70 (74)
NCAA NET: 75 (57)*
BPI: 36 (79)
Sagarin: 78 (74)
* = Last Year’s Rankings

Leaders:
Points – Kellan Grady 18.0 (Sr., G)
Rebounds – Luka Brajkovic 5.6 (Jr., F)
Assists – Hyungjung Lee 4.0 (Soph., F) (2.4 TO per game)

Historical
Series: 7-8
H: 4-2, A: 2-4, N: 1-2
Most Recent Matchup: 2/22/20 77-75(OT) L at Davidson
Most Recent Win Streak: 1 – Davidson
Match-up Predictor: 46.8% 52.1% Chance of URI Winning
Last edited by spookydog 3 years ago, edited 6 times in total.
3 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: 12/18 | Davidson College | 7:00PM (ESPNU)

Unread post by RF1 »

This team always seems to give Rhody problems. It may not be the most athletic team most years but it always shoots well and plays good solid disciplined hoops.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

RF1 wrote: 3 years ago This team always seems to give Rhody problems. It may not be the most athletic team most years but it always shoots well and plays good solid disciplined hoops.
Pretty much the complete opposite of how we play.
0 x
Smokinjimit2
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Smokinjimit2 »

The the amount of guys on this team that fall asleep on defense I see a ton of backdoor cuts against us. Lots of easy baskets. I still think we win but we will look bad against them for stretches at a time. If we start line we did last game coach Cox needs to do a mass substitute to shake things up.
2 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

This is well coached and always has players with good shooting technique.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Would rather play Kansas right now.
0 x
GO RAMS
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

What's the over/under on minutes until Rhody scores in this game?
3 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Must play disciplined and connected D. Have to crowd them and make the uncomfortable but then have to talk a lot so as to not get burned back door or on slips to the rim. Offensively we must use our size and athleticism to our advantage and attack the rim and paint. They have no answers at the rim. Must impose our will and be the aggressor.
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

"417th year head coach Bob McKillop"

:D

Good ol' Granite Helmet Head. The greatest recruiter of Icelandic basketball players ever. Actually, the only recruiter of Icelandic basketball players.
3 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Theyre good.

Let's get Betrand eligible.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

URI. 73-65
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Hope for More Playing time for Johnson and Leggett vs Davidson as they can both shoot the basketball

Maybe Johnson has earned the start over Martin for this Friday

1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago Hope for More Playing time for Johnson and Leggett vs Davidson as they can both shoot the basketball

Maybe Johnson has earned the start over Martin for this Friday

DJ will definitely see more playing time now, and because Mikhi is out he will also spend additional time at the 4. If AB sees the the floor on Friday, he will probably be used both at the wing and the 2. Let's hope that JH's foot problems are behind him, and both him and Mikhel will need to try harder to stay out of foul trouble (easier said than done).
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

The way we play half-court defense -- like a U-6 soccer team -- they can make us look silly.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

DJ's weakness is rotations on defense which will be on display vs Davidson. He will have to step it up to get lot of minutes. Classic chicken and egg situation as we need his shooting but defense will also be key.
1 x
Ibn34
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Ibn34 »

eli#10 wrote: 3 years ago DJ's weakness is rotations on defense which will be on display vs Davidson. He will have to step it up to get lot of minutes. Classic chicken and egg situation as we need his shooting but defense will also be key.
This is a great observation, albeit an obvious. Kid can shoot the cover off the ball. But, as much as that’s needed. The team also needs defense and rebounding! Two things he struggles with mightily. Spending some extra time with him individually on his defensive rotation responsibilities, can’t hurt. Nor can putting him in multiple different defensive situations on and off the ball, during the next week of practice. He needs repetition.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

We better beat these twats.

Tired of losing annoying games to Davidson!

Every single loss to them has really sucked and this one would extra suck.

They have looked good. Defense defense defense.

Play ish. Get eligible Allen!
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Davidson favored by 11 points at home vs UNC Charlotte
Davidson losing by 7 with 6 minutes left in game.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 3 years ago Davidson favored by 11 points at home vs UNC Charlotte
Charlotte is good defensively.

Grady and Lee are the only ones that can make a shot.

Don't worry Davidson will make sure they play lights out against us.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago
ramster wrote: 3 years ago Davidson favored by 11 points at home vs UNC Charlotte

Nailed it
0 x
GO RAMS
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago

Nailed it
I mean I'm less worried because we are home.

If we were playing at Davidson we would pretty much be screwed.
0 x
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Unread post by PCFriars »

I don’t think Davidson is very good. PC losing to them would have been a disaster. I don’t even think they played all that well outside of a 10 minute stretch late on the first half. Given your team’s familiarity with them, I would think you’ll win by double digits.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Charlotte is (1-3)
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Davidson loses by 11, 63-52.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

PCFriars wrote: 3 years ago I don’t think Davidson is very good. PC losing to them would have been a disaster. I don’t even think they played all that well outside of a 10 minute stretch late on the first half. Given your team’s familiarity with them, I would think you’ll win by double digits.
I mean they look like trash. They also took Texas to the wire.

We should win by double digits. If we aren't focused defensively they can ruin our day.

Just watching them tonight though there really isn't an excuse losing to them. A WKU effort would probably beat them fairly easily.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 3 years ago
Davidson loses by 11, 63-52.
Ugly loss at home by Davidson to a (1-3) UNC Charlotte team on their own home court. Lose by 11 while favored by 11 - a 22 point gap!!!
1 x
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Unread post by PCFriars »

PCFriars wrote: 3 years ago I don’t think Davidson is very good. PC losing to them would have been a disaster. I don’t even think they played all that well outside of a 10 minute stretch late on the first half. Given your team’s familiarity with them, I would think you’ll win by double digits.

We should win by double digits. If we aren't focused defensively they can ruin our day.

Just watching them tonight though there really isn't an excuse losing to them. A WKU effort would probably beat them fairly easily.
I did not see a minute of your game on Sunday, but after reading through some of the game thread and subsequent discussion, it doesn’t sound like many of you are very satisfied with the WKU effort.

The internet meltdowns after losses are epic. Our board does it too, as I’m guessing they all do.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Davidson missed 25 threes.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 3 years ago Davidson missed 25 threes.
Yep. 9-34.
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Sheesh. Tough look for Davidson. I’m always a proponent of don’t worry about your opponent and just bring your best effort. That being said I also don’t love getting a team in their first game, angry, after a bad loss
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

PCFriars wrote: 3 years ago

I did not see a minute of your game on Sunday, but after reading through some of the game thread and subsequent discussion, it doesn’t sound like many of you are very satisfied with the WKU effort.

The internet meltdowns after losses are epic. Our board does it too, as I’m guessing they all do.
Definitely not, but WKU is a tournament team. I dont think we played bad enough to lose to a team like Davidson. So an WKU effort would get the job done probably.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Nailed it
It's called "pulling a Davidson".... I know someone else coined that, but can't recall who. If you're out there, feel free to take credit.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

PCFriars wrote: 3 years ago

Not just meltdown losses after games, but also intra-game... although, less intense because the situation remains fluid as long as there are ticks on the clock.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

They should have beat PC, Davidson missed a wide open layup with seconds left.
3 x
GO RAMS
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Every board does it, the life of a fan.
1 x
GO RAMS
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

We better not lose to Davidson
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Nailed it

But having no fans at home or away takes away a lot of the home court advantage doesn’t it?
The screaming crowd, students behind the basket with signs, waving arms and screaming during foul shots, yelling things at individual players, intimidating the refs to get some home cooking, etc.

I think Davidson could be a tough game for us hone or away. Typically good shooting, good passing, lots of back door plays, good player movement on offense, good defense and solid coaching from McKillop

All Time Series URI - Davidson we have won 7, lost 8

URI vs Davidson
H: 4-2
A: 2-4
N: 1-2
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago Every board does it, the life of a fan.
Shhhh don’t tell that to some people. They think you can only talk about the good things.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

KingstonLane wrote: 3 years ago Sheesh. Tough look for Davidson. I’m always a proponent of don’t worry about your opponent and just bring your best effort. That being said I also don’t love getting a team in their first game, angry, after a bad loss
URI should be angry, too. I hope Davidson is saying the same thing about us.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

........hopefully our coaching staff has drilled into the heads of our players what to expect and how to read and react to the Davidson offensive system.......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

The problem with a team like Davidson is they can have a hot shooting night, or even just a 10 minute stretch in a game and beat you. I don’t think they have the players to sustain a run like they did in past years but they are still dangerous.

Stick DJ out there and get his arms in the way of some the passing lanes and we should be able to disrupt their offense.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 3 years ago

Nailed it

But having no fans at home or away takes away a lot of the home court advantage doesn’t it?
The screaming crowd, students behind the basket with signs, waving arms and screaming during foul shots, yelling things at individual players, intimidating the refs to get some home cooking, etc.

I think Davidson could be a tough game for us hone or away. Typically good shooting, good passing, lots of back door plays, good player movement on offense, good defense and solid coaching from McKillop

URI vs Davidson
I think playing on our home court still makes a difference for us.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

URI vs Davidson
I think playing on our home court still makes a difference for us.
It helps all teams, just not to the same degree.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Davidson doing Davidson things. Shitting the bed out of conference only to hand some bad losses to our best teams in conference thereby hurting at large bid chances because it is a bad loss
6 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Yep. 9-34.
Wait a minute. They're stealing our game plan!
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Ramulous wrote: 3 years ago Davidson doing Davidson things. Shitting the bed out of conference only to hand some bad losses to our best teams in conference thereby hurting at large bid chances because it is a bad loss
And we play them twice again this year.

Why does the A-10 do this to us?

Another February game at Davidson!
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

PeteRI wrote: 3 years ago
Yep. 9-34.
It's wild - I looked it up. URI's all time record for threes attempted in a game is... 34. They did it twice in 2011.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

SmartyBarrett wrote: 3 years ago
PeteRI wrote: 3 years ago

Yep. 9-34.
It's wild - I looked it up. URI's all time record for threes attempted in a game is... 34. They did it twice in 2011.
Good ol Akeem Richmond and Nic Malesevic
4 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

They have 2 guys that can put the ball on the floor and make their own shot. They have little depth, and really 2 alphas in Grady and Lee. Contain those two and we should handle this team easily. If they give us a game I will be much more concerned about our results in A10 play bc this is a very limited Davidson team.
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Charlotte was 1-3 going into the game with losses to ECU, Georgia Southern & Appalachian State.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”