Fatts needs to shoot less and pass more

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Fatts needs to shoot less and pass more

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

Today was a great example of Fatts wasting possessions with silly shots when he could've just passed it to someone like Sheppard to shoot a 3. I am a huge fan of the good Fatts, the one that drives and dishes the ball to Walker or whoever it is.
6 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Re: Fatts needs to shoot less and pass more

Unread post by section(105) »

.....same old song with Fatts......not gonna change, we are gonna ride him thru the needs to shoot less and pass more in this, his senior season......we all know this.....no?......
3 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

105 unfortunately that is true. But WTF the scouts this off season told him this is exactly what he needs to work on. He acknowledged that in an interview before the season started. Yet here we are still discussing the same thing in year 4...................
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Totally agree with this assessment.

Stat chasing...he doesn’t realize that he can make this team
So much better if he facilitates...
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.....it is what it is......and there will probably be the outlier call for him not to start......
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Ish Leggett was arguably our best player against Seton Hall, and he played 11 minutes tonight. Play him more and Fatts less if Fatts continues to force things. I really expected Fatts IQ to make a big jump this year, but I guess not.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

I'm not 100% sold that it's stat-chasing with Fatts. I just think he can't help himself. If it was stat-chasing, he'd make more shots!
3 x
Mobley was fouled.
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

RI_Bred wrote: 3 years ago I'm not 100% sold that it's stat-chasing with Fatts. I just think he can't help himself. If it was stat-chasing, he'd make more shots!
Oh I think it has to do with frustration. He can't let it get to him. If the team is down by 15 points, throwing up lazy shots isn't going to help at all.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I don’t think it’s stat chasing that has been his game since his first day on campus. He’s never going to be the floor general type PG and this team at times could use just that. I still don’t think anyone else out there is ready to be the alpha yet tho, but he has to be much more selective on offense than he is being right now.
1 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

I never saw it regarding his NBA chances. At his height, you need to be lights out from distance to make an NBA team. Up to now, I haven’t responded to those who feel he can make it, but I think we can dismiss that idea. This will undoubtedly not be a popular take, but David Duke has a better shot at making the NBA, although I don’t see that happening either.
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Through six games Fatts Russell’s three point shooting is down from last season and is very comparable to his disastrous sophomore year. That is also true for his weak A/TO ratio which now stands at 1.6. All his average stats were given a big boost with the Seton Hall game. I guess we were spoiled with Downtin whose A/TO was consistently high averaging above 3.0. The teams 4 assists in Wisconsin game was in stark contrast to the double digit performances seen in the first five games. What Fatts has shown so far is not Wooden material let alone NBA level and the time to impress is shrinking as we are now one quarter through this season. He better get his passport in shape.
3 x
ericf0120
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by ericf0120 »

The best Fatts is 2nd half of the ASU game Fatts (ironically was playing with 4 fouls). Penetrating, dishing, and taking what the defense gives him. Obviously he’s under a ton of pressure to carry an offense where there aren’t many playmakers, but I feel like we just need to see Fatts play more controlled and mature. Let the game come to you, and make the right basketball play.

Can’t say he was the main issue tonight, as many players didn’t play well, but being the leader and an All A-10 caliber player, we can’t have performances like this from him against power programs like WISC.

Here’s to hoping he figures out his shot for the WKU game
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Yeah we are getting sophomore Fatts right now. Its puzzling how he looked like an all-american for the majority of last year and since the Dayton game at Dayton he's really struggled.

He has bounced back before and we need him to do it again. For now though, needs to settle down.
4 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Fatts is who he is. Cox lets him shoot at will.

He hasn't gotten better at it, and never will. By the time you're a senior, either you've got it or you don't.

So he has an occasional game where he makes a few. To me, that doesn't come close to making up for most games where he's hurting the team.

Someone made a good point a while ago, when they said we will be a better TEAM without Fatts. I agree.

He does pass the ball when he feels like it. Not often enough though. Selfish player.

We didn't lose to Wisconsin just because of him, but a fair share of the blame, yes.

The "good Fatts" is awesome....but the other 80% of the time, not so much.
4 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Fatts is emblematic of a major problem with our team ever since they took the ball out of the hands of Jeff Dowtin — our collective basketball IQ is just about room temperature. We take too many bad shots and dribble into traffic too often.
2 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Darn it!! I've been down on Fatts for 2 years and getting hammered on this Board for stating my opinion. I've just started to come around on Fatts and this Board starts hammering him.

Fatts is our poster boy and every opponent is designing their defenses to make life as difficult as possible for him. In doing so, they are making everyone else on our team better. Remember how bad we looked against ASU when Fatts got 4 fouls early and later fouled out? That is the team we are without Fatts. Fatts needs to keep drawing this attention while the rest of this young team matures and gels.

If we stay healthy, we will be the beasts of the A10.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I honestly Fatts needs to dial back the attack in the first half. He did that towards the end of last year and was fantastic. Be the facilitator in the first half, then just take over the game in the second. It feels like he is back to trying to take over the entire game and it just won’t work out. He is best when the other team is a little tired because he is an elite athlete and the fastest guy on the court, that shows in the second half.
2 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Unread post by Brian Forster »

He has no conscience.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

The problems he has when URI plays power 5 or big opponents he wants to be on display for the national media and tries to do too much in terms of taking threes or other bad shots. He needs to work the other players into the game flow and his shots will come if Sheppard, Leggett, Carey and the twins are more involved.
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Disagree with the assertion that Fatts has to play as aggressively as he does bc we lack playmakers. That was true the last 2 seasons where really the only other guy we had that could do anything off the dribble was Dowtin. We now have Shepp, Carey and even Ish as a Frosh that can create their own offense and make plays for others. I just would like to see him value efficiency more and facilitate, but I’m not sure he has that in him.
3 x
BCarey1315
Abdul Fox

Unread post by BCarey1315 »

RamStock wrote: 3 years ago The problems he has when URI plays power 5 or big opponents he wants to be on display for the national media and tries to do too much in terms of taking threes or other bad shots. He needs to work the other players into the game flow and his shots will come if Sheppard, Leggett, Carey and the twins are more involved.
I'll agree with this somewhat. There is definitely a part of Fatts that keeps one eye on the scoreboard. The Naismith nomination was a blessing and a curse IMO. He isnt making that list without putting up close to 20 per game. He will have no problem doing so against A10 comp, but so far this year we have faced mostly power conference teams.

The other issue is that the really good teams come with better defenders and athletes that can give him problems. Nobody is as quick as Fatts, but there are taller defenders who can keep him in check, or highly disciplined team defenses that will work together to take away his strengths, like what we saw yesterday.

In situations like that, Fatts needs to adapt and become a facilitator.
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

BCarey1315 wrote: 3 years ago
RamStock wrote: 3 years ago The problems he has when URI plays power 5 or big opponents he wants to be on display for the national media and tries to do too much in terms of taking threes or other bad shots. He needs to work the other players into the game flow and his shots will come if Sheppard, Leggett, Carey and the twins are more involved.
I'll agree with this somewhat. There is definitely a part of Fatts that keeps one eye on the scoreboard. The Naismith nomination was a blessing and a curse IMO. He isnt making that list without putting up close to 20 per game. He will have no problem doing so against A10 comp, but so far this year we have faced mostly power conference teams.

The other issue is that the really good teams come with better defenders and athletes that can give him problems. Nobody is as quick as Fatts, but there are taller defenders who can keep him in check, or highly disciplined team defenses that will work together to take away his strengths, like what we saw yesterday.

In situations like that, Fatts needs to adapt and become a facilitator.
My exact sentiments.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

ericf0120 wrote: 3 years ago The best Fatts is 2nd half of the ASU game Fatts (ironically was playing with 4 fouls). Penetrating, dishing, and taking what the defense gives him. Obviously he’s under a ton of pressure to carry an offense where there aren’t many playmakers, but I feel like we just need to see Fatts play more controlled and mature. Let the game come to you, and make the right basketball play.

Can’t say he was the main issue tonight, as many players didn’t play well, but being the leader and an All A-10 caliber player, we can’t have performances like this from him against power programs like WISC.

I disagree with the assertion that he wasn't the main issue yesterday, I believe he absolutely was. In the decisive first half he went 2-9 from the field when the next highest player only had four shots, 0-3 from three, 1 assist on 2 turnovers and a team worst -15. In the first half only Jalen Carey (2-4 from the field in the first half) took more shots than three pointers Fatts missed. In the second half when the team was +6, he was only +2, only 1-5 from the field, tied for the most attempts by the team in the second half even though his shot wasn't falling, with no assists, one turnover, one steal. We were literally a better team in the second half when Fatts wasn't playing. We simply aren't going to win very much if that's the Fatts that shows up to games.

Like I said in another post, there are going to be games for everyone where their shot isn't falling, so not going to get on him for that. But when you just keep jacking it up there when it's not falling and you're not getting your teammates involved, that's when I'm going to call it out. Fatts was our biggest obstacle to having a chance at an upset last night, and you can't have that from your best player

https://docs.google.com/viewerng/viewer ... 1607559499
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Fatts play yesterday was certainly an issue: 3-14 (FG), 0-4 (3pt), 3 turnovers, and only 1 assist from your starting point guard will not win you many games. But, he wasn't alone, the whole team really struggled coming out of the gate and a lot of sloppy play and missed opportunities all around. Maybe it was lack of preparation, nerves, travel fatigue, and who knows what else. It is difficult to play a team of this caliber on the road, under these circumstances, but I am glad we did. This game will definitely give our staff lots of film and drawing board material to work with going forward.
Last edited by Jersey77 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

He is streaky...when he's hot, watch out! When he's cold...Iceberg ahead! It is what it is.

I would love for him to make the NBA, but at his size he needs to be the best player on the floor 9 out of 10 games and totaly excel at something offensively, and as a PG make the players around him better. Heck for any player to make the NBA he needs to be the best player on the floor 9 out of 10 games. The NBA has the fewest spots available.
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

RIFan wrote: 3 years ago He is streaky...when he's hot, watch out! When he's cold...Iceberg ahead! It is what it is.

I would love for him to make the NBA, but at his size he needs to be the best player on the floor 9 out of 10 games and totaly excel at something offensively, and as a PG make the players around him better. Heck for any player to make the NBA he needs to be the best player on the floor 9 out of 10 games. The NBA has the fewest spots available.
Let’s stop with the NBA stuff - how about we get back to trying to be the best player in the A10 by being the best defender and a more efficient scorer.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago
ericf0120 wrote: 3 years ago The best Fatts is 2nd half of the ASU game Fatts (ironically was playing with 4 fouls). Penetrating, dishing, and taking what the defense gives him. Obviously he’s under a ton of pressure to carry an offense where there aren’t many playmakers, but I feel like we just need to see Fatts play more controlled and mature. Let the game come to you, and make the right basketball play.

I disagree with the assertion that he wasn't the main issue yesterday, I believe he absolutely was. In the decisive first half he went 2-9 from the field when the next highest player only had four shots, 0-3 from three, 1 assist on 2 turnovers and a team worst -15. In the first half only Jalen Carey (2-4 from the field in the first half) took more shots than three pointers Fatts missed. In the second half when the team was +6, he was only +2, only 1-5 from the field, tied for the most attempts by the team in the second half even though his shot wasn't falling, with no assists, one turnover, one steal. We were literally a better team in the second half when Fatts wasn't playing. We simply aren't going to win very much if that's the Fatts that shows up to games.

Like I said in another post, there are going to be games for everyone where their shot isn't falling, so not going to get on him for that. But when you just keep jacking it up there when it's not falling and you're not getting your teammates involved, that's when I'm going to call it out. Fatts was our biggest obstacle to having a chance at an upset last night, and you can't have that from your best player

I think this is dead on.

It was my same issue with EC. If you're not a shooter - don't shoot? EC was probably one of the best cutters/slashers/at the basket finishers I've ever seen in a URI uniform. Wasn't a shooter. Wasn't a last shot guy - but he LOVED to shoot and take the last shot. Many times at the detriment of the team.

Fatts, similarly, is one of the quickest players ever to wear this jersey. Can get inside, can see passing lanes, and can collapse a defense better than most. Why that isn't his default setting is beyond me.

What looks better to an NBA scout - a 6-1 assist-turnover ratio averaging 12-14 ppg and getting to the line for a winning team? Or 20 ppg on 22% shooting for a loser?

The best talent in life is knowing what you're great at, good at, and bad at. You can definitely work on what you're bad at, but you shouldn't be doing that more than what you're great at. If he doesn't figure it out we're in for a long season - because the ball goes through Fatts.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

RIFan wrote: 3 years ago He is streaky...when he's hot, watch out! When he's cold...Iceberg ahead! It is what it is.

He's a senior and the leader of our team, we can't afford any more iceberg ahead games from him. It was one thing in his sophomore year, but he should have grown from then. If he doesn't have it he can't keep jacking it up, he has to become a facilitator
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Most players can be stopped on offense. It is a matter of how much defense is going to devote to stopping you. And, that depends on how much your teammates can make the opponents pay for not devoting sufficient resources to stopping them.

Against Wisconsin in the first half, Fatts' teammates stunk out the arena, When your team scores 16 points, how many assists can be made? Don't beat up on Fatts because his teammates can't score. This was a maturation game for the new players and a good learning experience. They grew up a bit in half two.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago Most players can be stopped on offense. It is a matter of how much defense is going to devote to stopping you. And, that depends on how much your teammates can make the opponents pay for not devoting sufficient resources to stopping them.

Against Wisconsin in the first half, Fatts' teammates stunk out the arena, When your team scores 16 points, how many assists can be made? Don't beat up on Fatts because his teammates can't score. This was a maturation game for the new players and a good learning experience. They grew up a bit in half two.
.....The Fatts teammates need to be coached up to learn where to go in the floor open space when Fatts does thing and other defenders shade to Fatts.......rather than caught watching Fatts......will take more time to get used to playing the Fatts type talent in game situations......and of course Fatts needs to give them the ball when they are open.......no?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Ibn34
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Ibn34 »

The questions that I don’t see being asked is, “what are they running on offense, to get Fatts and the other effective offensive players, shots that are high percentage?” How many times do you see a quick hitter ran, that gets someone a clean look?? What we see is Fatts jacking a terrible shot up, normally in the last 5 seconds of the shot clock. Not every time, but it happens often. Too often if you ask me. That isn’t always a choice he’s making to be a jack!!
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Ibn34 wrote: 3 years ago The questions that I don’t see being asked is, “what are they running on offense, to get Fatts and the other effective offensive players, shots that are high percentage?” How many times do you see a quick hitter ran, that gets someone a clean look?? What we see is Fatts jacking a terrible shot up, normally in the last 5 seconds of the shot clock. Not every time, but it happens often. Too often if you ask me. That isn’t always a choice he’s making to be a jack!!
You are just talking about the Wisky game right? Who was ever open? The first half man defense by Wisconsin was near perfect. They were on guys like flypaper. So what would you suggest for a team being defended man on man perfectly to do to get an open shot? Every pass was defended.
0 x
Ibn34
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Ibn34 »

I KNOW! But, it’s always like that. That’s the point I’m attempting to make here... I watch basketball with a different eye. And while do see the forced shots, bad 3’s, drives that lead nowhere, etc. I also see, lack player movement offensively...bad cutting...terrible screening...DHO after DHO (which is really easy to guard btw)...ball screens with no weak side movement...I could go on and on. Offensively, there’s not much happening out there. Just can’t look at the surface problem, one has to dig deeper to get answers. That’s if real answers are truly being sought.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Ibn34 wrote: 3 years ago I KNOW! But, it’s always like that. That’s the point I’m attempting to make here... I watch basketball with a different eye. And while do see the forced shots, bad 3’s, drives that lead nowhere, etc. I also see, lack player movement offensively...bad cutting...terrible screening...DHO after DHO (which is really easy to guard btw)...ball screens with no weak side movement...I could go on and on. Offensively, there’s not much happening out there. Just can’t look at the surface problem, one has to dig deeper to get answers. That’s if real answers are truly being sought.
I know right. Seton Hall did the same thing to us. Oh, wait.
0 x
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago Totally agree with this assessment.

The last time a player (that I am aware of) was asked to facilitate more/sacrifice his scoring average was Tyson Wheeler in 1997-98. Wonder how that team did? hmmmmmm

Of course, this request came from a new coach asking one of his seniors to make the sacrifice and while I love David Cox, there may be a difference in tone directed towards a more sensitive player like Fatts. I realize my opinion is just that but watching enough of Fatts for the 3+ seasons now, he lets his emotions get the best of him sometimes (bad calls against). If my memory serves me, Tyson, was much more head to the grindstone and kept his mouth shut when refs made calls against him that were questionable.

Understand Fatts is my favorite player on the team. I know he is the team's golden ticket to the dance if he plays well.

Last thoughts...
When Fatts facilitates and has 5+ assists how many games has URI won?
Wouldn't Fatts' chances increase if he was more of a facilitator than a scorer? Professional league scouts (pick a league) will see Fatts more as an assist and less of a scoring option on their teams. That is he best path for him to make it at the next level, despite what his friends and family think.
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

This offense we are berating was averaging 79 ppg before Wiscy. With 8 or 9 guys averaging 5+ so I’m not sure it’s the design. And after a dismal first half dropped 46 on them in the second half. I don’t think Fatts is missing open guys, it’s moreso when he’s driving he’s thinking score first, pass second. It’s a mentality and tough to undo if it doesnt come natural. He’s not a natural PG.
2 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

I don't think Fatts needs to change his game a whole lot. Yes, a little less shooting and a little more passing would be good. No doubt, his best plays are when he drives and dishes to someone underneath for a layup. But he's missing 3's that are mostly good looks. I'm fine with any decent 3 point shooter taking an open 3, as long as it's not very early in the possession. Fatts has always been streaky, and right now he is pretty cold. I think that will change. I hope that will change. Like someone had mentioned, he has played against mostly tough competition these last few weeks. I think he will find his grove. Especially in the A10. Will be interesting to see how he does vs St. Louis, Richmond, and Dayton. When Fatts gets hot, we will all love it.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 3 years ago I don't think Fatts needs to change his game a whole lot. Yes, a little less shooting and a little more passing would be good. No doubt, his best plays are when he drives and dishes to someone underneath for a layup. But he's missing 3's that are mostly good looks. I'm fine with any decent 3 point shooter taking an open 3, as long as it's not very early in the possession. Fatts has always been streaky, and right now he is pretty cold. I think that will change. I hope that will change. Like someone had mentioned, he has played against mostly tough competition these last few weeks. I think he will find his grove. Especially in the A10. Will be interesting to see how he does vs St. Louis, Richmond, and Dayton. When Fatts gets hot, we will all love it.
Problem with Fatts is he doesn't trust his team mates. Tyson had Cat and he learned to trust Cat was a better shooter. So he felt comfortable getting him the ball. Fatt's needs to trust Shep and Carey and get them the ball.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

section(105) wrote: 3 years ago ...
.....The Fatts teammates need to be coached up to learn where to go in the floor open space when Fatts does thing and other defenders shade to Fatts.......rather than caught watching Fatts......will take more time to get used to playing the Fatts type talent in game situations......and of course Fatts needs to give them the ball when they are open.......no?
When a teammate is open at a place where they are a 40%+ shooter, Fatts needs to get them the ball. While this percentage may seem high when compared to their historical shooting percentage, players should shoot batter when they are open. Fatts forcing the action and getting fouled is an important component of URI's offense.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Ibn34 wrote: 3 years ago I KNOW! But, it’s always like that. That’s the point I’m attempting to make here... I watch basketball with a different eye. And while do see the forced shots, bad 3’s, drives that lead nowhere, etc. I also see, lack player movement offensively...bad cutting...terrible screening...DHO after DHO (which is really easy to guard btw)...ball screens with no weak side movement...I could go on and on. Offensively, there’s not much happening out there. Just can’t look at the surface problem, one has to dig deeper to get answers. That’s if real answers are truly being sought.
Are you Ibn Bakari?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

How many times have we seen Fatts with the ball last 10 seconds of the shot clock then forcing up a tough shot ?? Offense needs to be better
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago

I think this is dead on.

It was my same issue with EC. If you're not a shooter - don't shoot? EC was probably one of the best cutters/slashers/at the basket finishers I've ever seen in a URI uniform. Wasn't a shooter. Wasn't a last shot guy - but he LOVED to shoot and take the last shot. Many times at the detriment of the team.

Fatts, similarly, is one of the quickest players ever to wear this jersey. Can get inside, can see passing lanes, and can collapse a defense better than most. Why that isn't his default setting is beyond me.

What looks better to an NBA scout - a 6-1 assist-turnover ratio averaging 12-14 ppg and getting to the line for a winning team? Or 20 ppg on 22% shooting for a loser?

The best talent in life is knowing what you're great at, good at, and bad at. You can definitely work on what you're bad at, but you shouldn't be doing that more than what you're great at. If he doesn't figure it out we're in for a long season - because the ball goes through Fatts.
EC taking the last shot... yikes 😬

We needed way more Jared Terrell last shots in those years. Like say.... the Oregon game especially...
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

In the ASU Game Russell's Fouls occurred:
1st half:
Foul 1 - 19:20 or 40 seconds into the game
Foul 2 - 10:08
Foul 3 - 8:35
Foul 4 - 1:25 left in the 1st half and amazingly Cox left him in the game as he took a missed 3P as time ran out
Announcers said they could not remember a player having 4 fouls in a 1st half before (most players would be on the bench). Russell not only got 4 but he was still playing with 4 fouls in the 1st half. Hurley's ironclad rule was 2 fouls in the 1st half you went to the bench no matter who you were

2nd half
Foul 5 - 5:52 left in the game

My observations of the 2nd half Russell was playing well off his man, avoiding his 5th foul at all costs. Couple times I saw his man drive easily by him while he kept his hands in the air. So defensively he was saving energy for offense.

I'd respectively disagree that Fatts is under a ton of pressure top carry an offense where there aren't may playmakers. Sheppard is capable of running the offense and bringing the ball up the court. Carey and Leggett are as well.

I
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

DanInAZ wrote: 3 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago Totally agree with this assessment.

The last time a player (that I am aware of) was asked to facilitate more/sacrifice his scoring average was Tyson Wheeler in 1997-98. Wonder how that team did? hmmmmmm

Of course, this request came from a new coach asking one of his seniors to make the sacrifice and while I love David Cox, there may be a difference in tone directed towards a more sensitive player like Fatts. I realize my opinion is just that but watching enough of Fatts for the 3+ seasons now, he lets his emotions get the best of him sometimes (bad calls against). If my memory serves me, Tyson, was much more head to the grindstone and kept his mouth shut when refs made calls against him that were questionable.

Understand Fatts is my favorite player on the team. I know he is the team's golden ticket to the dance if he plays well.

Last thoughts...
When Fatts facilitates and has 5+ assists how many games has URI won?
Wouldn't Fatts' chances increase if he was more of a facilitator than a scorer? Professional league scouts (pick a league) will see Fatts more as an assist and less of a scoring option on their teams. That is he best path for him to make it at the next level, despite what his friends and family think.
Fatt's Career Stats
Assists per Game - Assists/TO Ratio
Freshman 1.5 - 1.9
Sophomore 3.7 - 1.6
Junior 4.6 - 2.1
Senior 3.2 - 1.6
This season he has 19 assists in 6 games with 12 TOs

Not likely we are going to see assists per game above 5 very often based on his history
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Obadiah wrote: 3 years ago Through six games Fatts Russell’s three point shooting is down from last season and is very comparable to his disastrous sophomore year. That is also true for his weak A/TO ratio which now stands at 1.6. All his average stats were given a big boost with the Seton Hall game. I guess we were spoiled with Downtin whose A/TO was consistently high averaging above 3.0. The teams 4 assists in Wisconsin game was in stark contrast to the double digit performances seen in the first five games. What Fatts has shown so far is not Wooden material let alone NBA level and the time to impress is shrinking as we are now one quarter through this season. He better get his passport in shape.
In 6 games now:
28-83 FG = 33.7%
8-32 on 3P = 25%
32-38 FT = 84%

Last season ended disastrously as we lost 4 of our last 7 games. We won @vFordham and @ UMASS by 1 point. Toppin with the miracle rebound and hoop to beat Fordham.
In those last 7 games of the season Fatts was:
30-100 FG = 30%
11-38 on 3P = 28.9%
26-36 FT = 72%

So in his last 13 games:
58-183 FG = 31.7%
19-70 on 3P = 27.1%
58-74 FT = 78.4%

An overall FG% of 31.7% is well below average

He is averaging 3.2 apg this year vs 4.6 last season, 3.7 soph and 1.5 freshman
Assists/TO Ration is 1.6 this year vs 2.1 last season, 1.6 soph and 1.9 freshman
2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Nasty numbers. Thanks Ramster
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Agree. He was the main issue vs Wisconsin.
Also agree with others that he wants his points and his point total is his favorite stat, regardless of shooting percentages.
I'd disagree that he is the team's best player - but also know that I am more then likely alone with that point. I hope he proves me wrong because he is in a key role for this team. The team yearns for leadership on the court. This teams needs to improve the passing aspect of the game - just like last year's team lacked good, consistent passing.

It's great that David Cox put together a strong OOC Schedule - he and his staff will learn a lot from the tapes of these games. Hopefully these OOC Games will help us effectively tackle the A10 18 Game Schedule and Post Season Tournament.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Brian Forster wrote: 3 years ago He has no conscience.
Our football guy weighs in
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago
Obadiah wrote: 3 years ago Through six games Fatts Russell’s three point shooting is down from last season and is very comparable to his disastrous sophomore year. That is also true for his weak A/TO ratio which now stands at 1.6. All his average stats were given a big boost with the Seton Hall game. I guess we were spoiled with Downtin whose A/TO was consistently high averaging above 3.0. The teams 4 assists in Wisconsin game was in stark contrast to the double digit performances seen in the first five games. What Fatts has shown so far is not Wooden material let alone NBA level and the time to impress is shrinking as we are now one quarter through this season. He better get his passport in shape.
In 6 games now:
28-83 FG = 33.7%
8-32 on 3P = 25%
32-38 FT = 84%

Last season ended disastrously as we lost 4 of our last 7 games. We won @vFordham and @ UMASS by 1 point. Toppin with the miracle rebound and hoop to beat Fordham.
In those last 7 games of the season Fatts was:
30-100 FG = 30%
11-38 on 3P = 28.9%
26-36 FT = 72%

So in his last 13 games:
58-183 FG = 31.7%
19-70 on 3P = 27.1%
58-74 FT = 78.4%

An overall FG% of 31.7% is well below average

He is averaging 3.2 apg this year vs 4.6 last season, 3.7 soph and 1.5 freshman
Assists/TO Ration is 1.6 this year vs 2.1 last season, 1.6 soph and 1.9 freshman
We all seem to be in agreement that for us to be successful, Fatts needs to facilitate the offense by penetrating more and kicking-out or dishing off inside rather than forcing up bad shots. Not opposed to him taking occasional 3pointers when open to keep the defender honest and some pull up jumpers in the lane or mid range shots. His quickness is his biggest asset and he will usually beat his defender off the ball, so when they collapse on him it should open up some room for his teammates. Again, we all say this but he must improve upon his assist #'s, I wonder how many times we all keep repeating this.
2 x
Ibn34
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Ibn34 »

Let’s not forget these numbers either....
324 career assists (will easily finish in top 10, maybe top 5 barring injury)
181 steals (will leave as all time leader there too barring injury)

147 3pt fg’s made (already top 10, may not get past this the way he’s shooting right now lol lol)

But the most important numbers are 26-8, 18-15, 21-9!! His first 3 seasons in Kingston. Fatts has been apart (albeit a main part) of winning in Kingston. NCAA tournament as freshman. On the cusp of the same accomplishment as a junior (although they were headed in wrong direction before COVID) before the stoppage. From high school to now, the kid finds a way to win.

Let’s stop beating up on the same guy that’s provided so many moments for us to be proud as Rhody fans. Is he stinky right now? YES!!! Is this acceptable from the best player/senior of this team? NO!!! Will he get it together at some point? History tells me he will. He is who he is...an attacking score first guard. That always gives you a shot to win, because he’s so explosive as a scorer. That is not the case right now, although 16 ppg is nothing to sneeze at. We definitely need more from him (and others, coaches included) if this is gonna be the type of team that I think it can be. Can we show some patience/support Rhody fans?
1 x