12/9 | #13 University of Wisconsin | 4:30PM (Big Ten Network)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

12/9 | #13 University of Wisconsin | 4:30PM (Big Ten Network)

Unread post by spookydog »

University of Rhode Island vs University of Wisconsin
Kohl Center, Madison, WI
Wednesday, December 9, 2020
4:30PM

Media
TV: Big Ten Network
Online: Big Ten Network
Radio: 920 AM/104.7 FM (WHJJ) or Tune In Radio App

Previews:
Wisconsin’s Fan Forum
Another Wisconsin Fan Forum

Well, this happened quite fast. Rhody needs to book a flight ASAP as they are now taking on Wisconsin in Madison on Wednesday afternooon. Wisconsin was scheduled to play Louisville on Wednesday but was cancelled (or possibly postponed) because Louisville must pause basketball activities because of Covid. Wisconsin is coming off a last second buzzer beater defeat against instate rival Marquette. Weird how Wisconsin, who was then ranked 4th in the country, still wanted to play their instate rival. Who knew that teams still did that? Wisconsin, who were picked first in the Big 10 preseason poll, is a big team who plays a slower paced brand of basketball. This will be interesting to see which team dictates the pace of play as the Rams would like to run. Rhody will have the speed & quickness advantage while Wisconsin will have the height & half-court sets to their advantage. This forward oriented team has yet to give up more than 67 points this season. Like Rhode Island, Wisconsin is a deep team with 7 players averaging 20+ minutes & 9 players averaging over 13 minutes per game. URI has 10 players averaging 13 minutes or more. Being a last minute game, both teams will be coming into Wednesday with very little time to prepare. Right now I am sure coaches are scrambling for tape on their most recent games. This is a very difficult test for the Rams. Reuvers & Potter down low are some wide bodies averaging almost 27 points per game between the two. The Badgers point guard Trice is averaging less than 1 TO per game but he hasn't gone up against a played like Fatts yet. Rhody will need to force Wisconsin into some turnovers but will be very challenging in the half court sets. If the Sheppard, Fatts, & Carey hit some shots to start the game & spread the floor a little bit Rhody has a chance. Otherwise it could be a rock fight in Madison. No spread yet on the game but my guess would be Wisconsin by 9.5. Praying for a Rhody win, but if I am guessing we fall a little short. My prediction is Wisconsin 69, URI 64. Please prove me wrong with this prediction. Wear a Mask & Go Rhody!

Opponent
Record:
3-1, 0-0 in the Big Ten
Last season: 21-10, 14-6 in the Big Ten

Rankings (URI):
RPI: 104 (196)
KenPom: 8 (72)
NCAA NET: 23 (57)*
BPI: 10 (81)
Sagarin: 21 (62)
* = Last Year’s Rankings

Leaders:
Points – Nate Reuvers 14.0 (Sr., F)
Rebounds – Micah Porter 6.5 (Jr., F)
Assists – D’Mitrik Trice 3.8 (Sr., G) (0.8 TO per game)

Historical
Series: 0-2
H: 0-1, A: 0-1, N: 0-0
Most Recent Matchup: 12/3/99 66-43 L at Wisconsin
Most Recent Win Streak: 2 – Wisconsin
Match-up Predictor: 17.4% Chance of URI Winning
Last edited by spookydog 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
12 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: 12/9 | #13 University of Wisconsin | 4:30PM (Big Ten Network)

Unread post by ramster »

Great job Spookydog getting the Game Thread up so quickly!!
I watched the Wisconsin - Marquette 100 year old Rivalry Game (yes some schools are still playing their Rivalry games) and it was a tremendous game right down to the last second whereby Marquette won on a last second tip in of a missed FT with only .9 seconds left to win by one point. I was hoping for Overtime because the game was played so great - I wanted to see more.
3 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

What did Marquette do well that put them in the position to win that game?
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Wisconsin will slow the pace, play deliberate, and use their size in a half court offense. We have superior athleticism and speed, and will have to play up tempo to keep them off balance. Should be a fun match up to watch. I love that Cox is willing to play the best opponents possible, not like our in-state neighbors up north.
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Spook I think I’ve “liked” every one of these you’ve done, but just wanted to take the opportunity to publicly say thanks for taking this over. It’s a huge help for us and I really appreciate you stepping in - I think without ever being asked. Awesome that you’re on the ball enough that a new game is announced and before I’m even aware of it there’s a game thread up.
12 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

FYI this came together 2 days ago - this staff and entire athletic department is very much on top of their game.

We are incredibly fortunate to have the people around this program that we do.
12 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Feels like a must win, which puts us in a tough spot, but very pleased for the opportunity.
0 x
GO RAMS
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago Feels like a must win, which puts us in a tough spot, but very pleased for the opportunity.
I don’t think I’d call it that, but I do get your logic. This is the type of win come March that pushes a bubble team over the edge and doesn’t leave it to fate. Maybe I’m biased, but if you win this and win vs. WK, URI is on the right side of the bubble headed into conference play. Long season awaits but that’s where you always want to be
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Hell to the yes
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

KingstonLane wrote: 3 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago Feels like a must win, which puts us in a tough spot, but very pleased for the opportunity.
I don’t think I’d call it that, but I do get your logic. This is the type of win come March that pushes a bubble team over the edge and doesn’t leave it to fate. Maybe I’m biased, but if you win this and win vs. WK, URI is on the right side of the bubble headed into conference play. Long season awaits but that’s where you always want to be
If we win at Whiskey and at WKU, our record would be Q1 1-1 and Q2 4-1 heading into conference play. That is a pretty serious resume. We shall let the games play out. URI has not played a Q3 or Q4 game. Also this means we will play 16 Q1 and Q2 games.
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

I wouldn't call it a must win, its more of a gravy situation. If they win they get a resume making win, if they lose no one bats an eye.
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

This is great news in a weird season. Love that we are able to play legit teams early like this.

Fatts must focus on not getting into foul trouble trying for the steals against their point guard. Need him for the whole game this time.
2 x
Mobley was fouled.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

On no planet is this game a must win.

You guys use that phrase for everything.

It’s an opportunity game. Period.
14 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Definitely not a "must win" - this game is great to help our SOS just playing it. It represents an opportunity, but not a "melt-down" if we lose.

A win puts us steadily on our way to a top 25 ranking and negates our 2 losses though. Would be potentially the biggest regular season win in URI history.

Older guys - anything bigger than beating #10? I went all the way back through Kraft (I'm not the focus of this conference call).

Cox era: 0-4

Losses: #3 Dayton, #6 Dayton, #7 Maryland, #18 ASU

Could be Cox's first ranked win.

Hurley era: 3-8

Wins: #20 Seton Hall, #21 Nebraska, #24 Cincinnati

Losses: #1 Duke, #2 Maryland, #4 Ohio St, #5 Arizona, #9 Butler, #11 Kansas, #17 VCU, #19 Dayton

Baron Era: 0-18

I'll wish forever that Stevie Mello shot went down against #2 St Joes though.

Losses: #2 St Joes, #3 St Joes, #4 Pitt, #5 Pitt, #7 Syracuse, #8 Duke, #9 Kansas, #10 Xavier, #13 BC, #14 GW, #15 Xavier, #17 Dayton, #18 Xavier, #20 Villanova, #21 Temple (2x), #23 BC, #25 Dayton

Jerry D: 0-2

Losses: #10 UConn, #21 Temple

Harrick aka David Cox Sr aka Mr Play Anyone Anywhere: 4-4

Wins: #17 GW, #18 UMass, #21 Utah, #25 TCU

Losses: #8 Stanford, #12 UConn, #17 Cinci, #21 Cinci

Skinner: 0-25

(this surprised me)

Losses: #1 UMass (3x), #6 Kansas, #8 UMass (2x), #9 Arizona, #10 Temple, #12 Minn, #13 Temple, #13 UConn, #13 VT, #13 UNLV, #13 Syracuse, #13 UMass, #14 WVU, #16 Minn, #18 Texas, #18 UAB, #18 WVU, #19 UMass, #20 Xavier, #22 Arizona, #24 GW, #25 UMass

Going back through Skinner, URI is 0-26 against top 10 opponents.

Penders was 0-2 against #6 Temple.

Malone never saw a ranked team.

English was 0-2 against #4 Oregon St and #8 Temple.

Kraft - 0-5 against the top 10 - #1 Mich, #5 St John's, #8 PC, and #9 Syracuse twice - but he did have the biggest wins in regular season program history beating #11 San Fran and #11 PC in '77-78

Needless to say, 0-35 against top 10 opponents in the last half century. Saying this would be a HUGE one is an understatement. Biggest regular season win in URI history. Biggest road win in URI regular season history.

Not a must win at all, but holy crap would it be a good one.

LFG.
Last edited by Blue Man 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
6 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Not must win - but must compete in my mind. Win puts us in a really good spot though!
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I would say Nebraska was bigger, more for what it represented than for the actual game itself. You could make a case for Cincinnati being bigger because that win was doing a lot of work until we beat VCU in the A10 Championship game that year. We don't win that Cincinnati game then there's no way we make the tournament without winning the A10 championship. So yeah, it would be up there
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Saturday March 19, 1988 URI 97 #9 Syracuse 94
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhodyhooopz wrote: 3 years ago Saturday March 19, 1988 URI 97 #9 Syracuse 94
Watched that game in my barracks in Germany. Picked Rhody to go to the Sweet 16 in my bracket. It was a great game.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Those must be regular season games. I have to think the win against Kansas was the biggest win we've had as a program.
1 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

what everyone has posted earlier is in regards to 'regular season'...not NCAA tourney wins
0 x
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

I read that UW is providing a charter flight for the game. Beats a bus ride up 95 any day! LOL
7 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

How could you NOT love this guy?

Seriously.

Put up or shut up.

I LOVE IT.
9 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Cox seems like Chaney. Take on anyone, anywhere!!!!!!!!!
5 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Kanas was a number one seed in the BIG DANCE!

With that said Awesome Job Cox Awesome Job!

Now let’s kick their ass!

GO RHODY!
0 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago
On no planet is this game a must win.

You guys use that phrase for everything.

It’s an opportunity game. Period.
Haha no kidding, we could get a call that the Lakers are flying us out to LA and everyone would be saying "Must win guys, I can't respect the team if they don't pull out the W tonight."
3 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Awesome news!! Exciting program on many levels.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

NHRamFan wrote: 3 years ago I read that UW is providing a charter flight for the game. Beats a bus ride up 95 any day! LOL
their fans seem classy also. Unlike PC they are appreciating the ability to play a tough game vs URI.
3 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Wisconsin is big, fundamentally sound and a veteran team. They are always tough on the defensive end. This is a stiff test.

It's not a must win. It's a put you on the map win. It's gravy.

I really like this team and this coach. Go Rhody!
5 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Just like granting every waiver request this year the NCAA tournament will invite every healthy team to participate... so there are no must win games for anyone. A 256 team tournament. Matchups all by lottery. What a tournament it will be!!!!
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
kmillr
Abdul Fox

Unread post by kmillr »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago Those must be regular season games. I have to think the win against Kansas was the biggest win we've had as a program.
Paul Pierce last college game!!
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RhodyRams916 wrote: 3 years ago
NHRamFan wrote: 3 years ago I read that UW is providing a charter flight for the game. Beats a bus ride up 95 any day! LOL
their fans seem classy also. Unlike PC they are appreciating the ability to play a tough game vs URI.
Every tweet, article, or message board post I've seen from the Wisconsin side has been complimentary of picking up this game with us, calling it a "big win" to schedule us last minute and things of that nature. Also it's a class act on the part of their athletic department to charter a flight for us considering there should be no fans in the stands for this one, so any revenue they get would be minimal. I'm a big Wisconsin fan after Wednesday!
4 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago
Definitely not a "must win" - this game is great to help our SOS just playing it. It represents an opportunity, but not a "melt-down" if we lose.

A win puts us steadily on our way to a top 25 ranking and negates our 2 losses though. Would be potentially the biggest regular season win in URI history.

Older guys - anything bigger than beating #10? I went all the way back through Kraft (I'm not the focus of this conference call).

Cox era: 0-4

Losses: #3 Dayton, #6 Dayton, #7 Maryland, #18 ASU

Could be Cox's first ranked win.

Hurley era: 3-8

Wins: #20 Seton Hall, #21 Nebraska, #24 Cincinnati

Losses: #1 Duke, #2 Maryland, #4 Ohio St, #5 Arizona, #9 Butler, #11 Kansas, #17 VCU, #19 Dayton

Baron Era: 0-18

I'll wish forever that Stevie Mello shot went down against #2 St Joes though.

Losses: #2 St Joes, #3 St Joes, #4 Pitt, #5 Pitt, #7 Syracuse, #8 Duke, #9 Kansas, #10 Xavier, #13 BC, #14 GW, #15 Xavier, #17 Dayton, #18 Xavier, #20 Villanova, #21 Temple (2x), #23 BC, #25 Dayton

Jerry D: 0-2

Losses: #10 UConn, #21 Temple

Harrick aka David Cox Sr aka Mr Play Anyone Anywhere: 4-4

Wins: #17 GW, #18 UMass, #21 Utah, #25 TCU

Losses: #8 Stanford, #12 UConn, #17 Cinci, #21 Cinci

Skinner: 0-25

(this surprised me)

Losses: #1 UMass (3x), #6 Kansas, #8 UMass (2x), #9 Arizona, #10 Temple, #12 Minn, #13 Temple, #13 UConn, #13 VT, #13 UNLV, #13 Syracuse, #13 UMass, #14 WVU, #16 Minn, #18 Texas, #18 UAB, #18 WVU, #19 UMass, #20 Xavier, #22 Arizona, #24 GW, #25 UMass

Going back through Skinner, URI is 0-26 against top 10 opponents.

Penders was 0-2 against #6 Temple.

Malone never saw a ranked team.

English was 0-2 against #4 Oregon St and #8 Temple.

Kraft - 0-5 against the top 10 - #1 Mich, #5 St John's, #8 PC, and #9 Syracuse twice - but he did have the biggest wins in regular season program history beating #11 San Fran and #11 PC in '77-78

Needless to say, 0-35 against top 10 opponents in the last half century. Saying this would be a HUGE one is an understatement. Biggest regular season win in URI history. Biggest road win in URI regular season history.

Not a must win at all, but holy crap would it be a good one.

LFG.
Great job collecting this info and summarizing Blue Man.

Interesting:
Cox (0-4)
Hurley (3-8)
Barron (0-18)
Jerry D (0-2)
Harrick (4-4)
Skinner (0-25)

Shows how effective Hurley and Harrick were. Harrick's results led to the approval and building of the Ryan Center
Hurley put URI back on the map and showed that URI could recruit high caliber players and could return to the NCAA Tournament - something Jim Baron could not do in all his years and having been provided the beautiful, brand new Ryan Center. Imagine if Hurley had the new Ryan Center from Day 1? Baron failed to maximize the generous Ryan Center "Gift"

It would be interesting to add in Post Season Ranked Teams as well. Again Harrick and Hurley will show good results. Skinner will have some wins too.

Most amazing is how well Hurley did at URI, yet the worst thread in Keaney Blue History imho was the JimBaron2.0 that was brutal on Dan Hurley. Hurley proved himself an excellent Recruiter and Head Coach and of course he continues to do so today.
Hurley and Harrick were (7-12) while the other 4 were/are (0-49)
3 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago
Every tweet, article, or message board post I've seen from the Wisconsin side has been complimentary of picking up this game with us, calling it a "big win" to schedule us last minute and things of that nature. Also it's a class act on the part of their athletic department to charter a flight for us considering there should be no fans in the stands for this one, so any revenue they get would be minimal. I'm a big Wisconsin fan after Wednesday!
I feel proud as a URI fan that Wisconsin fans are calling this a "big opportunity" and a "good replacement" for LOUISVILLE LOL. And yes I am a Wisconsin fan after Wednesday no matter what happens.
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I feel proud as a URI fan that Wisconsin fans are calling this a "big opportunity" and a "good replacement" for LOUISVILLE LOL. And yes I am a Wisconsin fan after Wednesday no matter what happens.
Isn't this what we have been striving for the last few years? We are dumping money into the program, we have a great on campus arena and we have success on the court. This is RI basketball. The home of the Fast Break. GO RHODY!!!! Also, I don't know who John McLendon is, but he was 5 years old when Keaney was named coach of URI. He is NOT the founder of the Fast Break. Keaney's 1928-29 team (15-1, 41 points a game) was the first to earn fame as a "point a minute" team, an average that rose steadily in succeeding years. When the center jump after each basket was eliminated in 1937, Keaney unleashed the fast break in earnest, and Rhode Island's 1937-38 team raced to a 19-2 record while averaging a national-record 67.3 points a game.
Last edited by theblueram 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
7 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

Win this and WKU you are getting votes for the top 25. This is no where near a must win. Keep this game close going into the final few minutes thats it. A win is a huge bonus. Just dont get blown out.
1 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago Those must be regular season games. I have to think the win against Kansas was the biggest win we've had as a program.
Werent they #1??
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

spookydog wrote: 3 years ago
University of Rhode Island vs University of Wisconsin
Kohl Center, Madison, WI
Wednesday, December 9, 2020
4:30PM

Media
TV: Big Ten Network
Online: Big Ten Network
Radio: 101.5 FM (B101) or Tune In Radio App

Previews:
Wisconsin’s Fan Forum
Another Wisconsin Fan Forum

Well, this happened quite fast. Rhody needs to book a flight ASAP as they are now taking on Wisconsin in Madison on Wednesday afternooon. Wisconsin was scheduled to play Louisville on Wednesday but was cancelled (or possibly postponed) because Louisville must pause basketball activities because of Covid. Wisconsin is coming off a last second buzzer beater defeat against instate rival Marquette. Weird how Wisconsin, who was then ranked 4th in the country, still wanted to play their instate rival. Who knew that teams still did that? Wisconsin, who were picked first in the Big 10 preseason poll, is a big team who plays a slower paced brand of basketball. This will be interesting to see which team dictates the pace of play as the Rams would like to run. Rhody will have the speed & quickness advantage while Wisconsin will have the height & half-court sets to their advantage. This forward oriented team has yet to give up more than 67 points this season. Like Rhode Island, Wisconsin is a deep team with 7 players averaging 20+ minutes & 9 players averaging over 13 minutes per game. URI has 10 players averaging 13 minutes or more. Being a last minute game, both teams will be coming into Wednesday with very little time to prepare. Right now I am sure coaches are scrambling for tape on their most recent games. This is a very difficult test for the Rams. Reuvers & Potter down low are some wide bodies averaging almost 27 points per game between the two. The Badgers point guard Trice is averaging less than 1 TO per game but he hasn't gone up against a played like Fatts yet. Rhody will need to force Wisconsin into some turnovers but will be very challenging in the half court sets. If the Sheppard, Fatts, & Carey hit some shots to start the game & spread the floor a little bit Rhody has a chance. Otherwise it could be a rock fight in Madison. No spread yet on the game but my guess would be Wisconsin by 9.5. Praying for a Rhody win, but if I am guessing we fall a little short. My prediction is Wisconsin 69, URI 64. Please prove me wrong with this prediction. Wear a Mask & Go Rhody!

Opponent
Record:
3-1, 0-0 in the Big Ten
Last season: 21-10, 14-6 in the Big Ten

Rankings (URI):
RPI: 104 (196)
KenPom: 8 (72)
NCAA NET: 23 (57)*
BPI: 10 (81)
Sagarin: 21 (62)
* = Last Year’s Rankings

Leaders:
Points – Nate Reuvers 14.0 (Sr., F)
Rebounds – Micah Porter 6.5 (Jr., F)
Assists – D’Mitrik Trice 3.8 (Sr., G) (0.8 TO per game)

Historical
Series: 0-2
H: 0-1, A: 0-1, N: 0-0
Most Recent Matchup: 12/3/99 66-43 L at Wisconsin
Most Recent Win Streak: 2 – Wisconsin
Match-up Predictor: TBD% Chance of URI Winning
Thanks again Spook for providing this post, great job. Regardless of the outcome of this game, I consider it a big win for Rhody. I still think it is unbelievable that our staff was able to get this done and thank you Wisconsin for giving us this opportunity. It's amazing what can get accomplished when you have programs that cooperate and are willing to work together.
4 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

FDshoes wrote: 3 years ago
Werent they #1??
Yes, I believe they were the #1 overall seed in the tournament that year.
Last edited by NJRhodyFan 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

From the Wisconsin Basketball 247 Message Board

How Wisconsin moved on from Louisville and scheduled URI
ByJOSH SCHAFER 3 hours ago

MADISON, Wis. — In some ways the unusual nature of the 2020 season has been reminiscent of when Wisconsin men’s basketball players used to play in summer tournaments growing up. The team travels around in a small pod, plays games with no fans and has had parents send scheduling rumors about opponents through group texts. In a college basketball season many have described as fluid, Wisconsin players spent this past weekend preparing to keep playing basketball without knowing exactly which team it might be against.
“Growing up with AAU tournaments, especially at the younger, younger stage, you never really know who you're going to play or (don't) really know much about the opponent,” said forward Aleem Ford. “We kind of just look at it like that. Whatever we have in front of us we're just going to make sure that we're ready.”
Wisconsin announced Monday morning that it wouldn’t be playing in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge game it had scheduled against Louisville on Wednesday due to a COVID-19 outbreak within the Cardinals’ program. Instead, the No.13 Badgers (3-1) will play Rhode Island (3-2) on Wednesday with hopes that Louisville may be ready to play by Sunday Dec. 13, which would be nearly a two-week break from the Cardinals last game.
Badgers head coach Greg Gard said he knew headed into the weekend that the Louisville game likely wouldn’t happen and the program began considering other options. Wisconsin Director of Basketball Operations Marc VandeWettering conversed with Gard through out the day on Saturday bouncing several ideas back and forth. Seemingly every time Gard checked his phone, VandeWettering had a new proposal or update, Gard joked.
Wisconsin considered moving up its game with Northern Iowa by a week since the Panther’s opponent this Wednesday might’ve had to cancel. But that didn’t end up being an option as Northern Iowa will play its previously scheduled game against Richmond this Wednesday. UW also considered traveling to Indianapolis for a game against Connecticut but that wasn't choses as the prospect of traveling for the game wasn’t ideal and now the Huskies are on pause due to COVID-19. Wisconsin also considered a game with Tennessee that would require further shuffling of the schedule in other spots, before eventually landing on Rhode Island.
“There are just so many moving parts with this thing and it's constantly changing,” Gard said. “Every time I check my phone I see somebody else is delayed or canceled or moved. So (we are) trying to play as many games against the best competition we can find but, probably more so than ever, just trying to get a schedule together trumps what that schedule at the end of the day is going to look like because it's not going to look how we intended it to look regardless.”
The schedule switch up didn’t impact the team’s internal plans. The Badgers took Saturday off and had what Gard calls “ A work on us day” on Sunday. Wisconsin reviewed film from its recent loss to Marquette and then worked through some of their issues on the court including ball-screen defense, transition defense and continuing to feed the post.
Looking back at the Marquette game, Gard noted the pointer per possession were high when the Badgers worked the ball in the post, so Wisconsin emphasized continuing to feed the position during practice. Overall the day wasn’t filled with anything unusual, Gard said, but was more so about doubling down on things the team had already been working on.
“Everything that we did wrong (against Marquette) was kind of a thing that we did to ourselves,” Ford said. “We kind of beat ourselves in a sense. Pretty much everything coach Gard showed on the clips was us breaking our rules.
“Defensively if they scored it was because we broke a rule, didn't box out and things that we can really fix. And so on the bright side, it's things that we can continue to work on.”
Wisconsin started playing stiffer competition when it traveled to Marquette and expected it to continue this week with a game against Louisville. While it’s unclear when or if that game might happen, the Badgers will still have a solid test come Wednesday. Rhode Island is the 72nd ranked team nationally per Ken Pomeroy and played both Arizona State and Boston College within 10 points despite losses.
So while the scheduling gymnastics wasn’t ideal and 2020 provided its usual confusion, Wisconsin has come out of a strange weekend on the same track it wanted to be.
“To be able to get Rhode Island at the 11th hour like this, a really good team, a really good program, terrific players, I think that's about as good as it could get given the short notice we had to work with,” Gard said.
7 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Hell if we win the next two games I see us in the top 25
4 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

It’s TV money moreso than gate receipts that drive the revenue. Big 10 has their own network, they have a slate to fill and need games. I’m sure that’s who is footing the bill.
0 x
RhodeIslandRams
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodeIslandRams »

This
0 x
class of 86
Michael Andersen

Unread post by class of 86 »

Two thoughts.....anyone see the end of the Marquette - Wisconsin game....incredible......who needs pc?? This is the John Cheney way to coach.......on the road...tough games....get ready for the a 10 games
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

check

Didn't have it scheduled (check), only have like 12 hrs to scout it (check), top 10 opponent (check)...

Must ... win ...

haha just joking
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

This from the Badger Board, brings back some memories:

The last Badger / Rhode Island game I remember was in Providence in 1998. I attended the game and recall 6-foot-2 Sean Mason making a game-clinching shot over the reach of 6-foot-11 Lamar Odom.
0 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

my apologies on the NCAA game. Didn't see the regular season part of that.
1 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

Did someone say Paul Pierce last college game???? Check out my picture!!!

Does Big 10 Network come in on ESPN+ ?? What do i have to do to get it?
2 x
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago This from the Badger Board, brings back some memories:

The last Badger / Rhode Island game I remember was in Providence in 1998. I attended the game and recall 6-foot-2 Sean Mason making a game-clinching shot over the reach of 6-foot-11 Lamar Odom.

I was at that game as well. Rhody got some great name schools to play them at the PCC back in that era. I remember seeing Texas, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Cincinnati, Arizona, and Wake Forest in the 90's. Was before the majors all but stopped doing road OOC games against teams that were not majors.
Last edited by RF1 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

URIGONZO wrote: 3 years ago Did someone say Paul Pierce last college game???? Check out my picture!!!

Does Big 10 Network come in on ESPN+ ?? What do i have to do to get it?
It would be on the Fox Sports App as opposed to ESPN+
1 x