David Cox Line Up Changes and Overall Coaching 2020

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

David Cox Line Up Changes and Overall Coaching 2020

Unread post by ramster »

During the Hurley Years as well as the David Cox era there have been very few starting line up changes

Hurley took a long time to replace Christian Thompson with Tyrese Martin. I thought much too long but he finally did it.
David Cox benched Russell last season for a game following a difficult shooting slump.
Other changes tend to be injury related or other reason other than performance

Got to give David Cox a lot of credit for changing things up yesterday.

Malik Martin for Jalen Carey
Makhel Mitchell for Makhi Mitchell

Carey responded nicely. 20 minutes, 5-7 FG, 2-2 FT, 5 rebounds, 2 fouls, 1 TO, 1 Steal, 1 block, 12 points
Makhi had missed all 7 FT's he took in his 1st two games. Most of these 7 were not close to going in. Amazingly Makhi hit 7-8 FTs coming off the bench. I never, ever would have guessed he was capable of that. Maybe coming off the bench was a wake up call and a call for more concentration. Whatever the reason, David Cox seemed to make the right moves vs South Florida.

Makhel played 20 minutes, 4-5 FG, 3-5 FT, 3 rebounds, 3 fouls, 1 TO, 11 points and 4 big clocked shots!!

URI had 3 players come off the bench who were Top 100 ESPN. Carey, Harris and Makhi Mitchell - amazing.

The enthusiasm from the bench was great.

I like David Cox making bold moves like that. It makes players know that they CAN get into the starting line-up. It also tells those IN the starting line-up that their spot and minutes are not guaranteed.
Last edited by ramster 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
5 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Re: Game 3 Starting Line Up Changes by David Cox

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Love the post and agree ramster. Minor correction though, it was Cox that didn't start Tyrese over Thompson. Hurley's first season coaching Tyrese is this one.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

I also like the fact that Cox is willing make these lineup changes and be flexible with player's minutes. It is nice to have that luxury with 10 players who can be interchangeable. As we all previously stated having this much depth on our team will give us a huge advantage throughout this season.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I found it interesting that David Cox went with the same line up vs San Francisco, even though Carey and Makhi played well off the bench vs South Florida.
Since URI went from a mess after having lost the Boston College game to go (0-2), I'd expect he will stay with the same line up after having won 2 straight games. Makhel only played 8 minutes vs San Francisco as he picked up early fouls.
Johnson in for games has played 18,19,18 and then a career high 25 minutes vs San Francisco. His shooting touch is a nice addition to the lineup.
Russell
Sheppard
Martin
Makhel
Walker

Johnson, Leggett, Makhi, Carey, Harris

FT Shooting has been a bright spot for the players getting the most minutes:
Walker (10-11) 91%
Sheppard (7-8) 88%
Russell (24-28) 86%
Leggett (8-10) 80%
Johnson (6-8) 75%
Martin (6-8) 75%
Carey (9-12) 75%

3P Shooting
Johnson (6-12) 50%
Sheppard (5-13) 39%
Walker (1-3) 33%
Harris (1-3) 33%
Martin (2-9) 22%
Russell (5-24) 21%
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Given the current depth of the team, which is something he hasn't had before as head coach, in my opinion, I wouldn't be surprised if Cox changes the starting line up based on what team he's playing & what match ups he thinks will give the team the best chance to win.
1 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

The Dude wrote: 3 years ago Given the current depth of the team, which is something he hasn't had before as head coach, in my opinion, I wouldn't be surprised if Cox changes the starting line up based on what team he's playing & what match ups he thinks will give the team the best chance to win.
I agree. What a novel idea, and a luxury we don't normally have...!
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: David Cox Line Up Changes and Overall Coaching 2020

Unread post by ramster »

For the 3rd straight game, David Cox stayed with the 2 changes he made for Game 3. He subbed Malik Martin for Jalen Carey and he subbed Makhel Mitchell for Makhi Mitchell. Since the change we have won 3 straight games vs South Florida (AAC), San Francisco (WCC) and Seton Hall (BE).

After losing to Arizona State and then to Boston College, I never would have imagined we would win the next 3 games. In fact, I was thinking we could go winless in OOC heading into A10 play.

David Cox has done a great job in Coaching this team back into contention. The lineup change was a bold move, not just one change, but two starter changes.

We looked very good against Seton Hall tonight. At one point the ball was out of bounds and we had only 2 seconds on the shot clock since a shot failed to hit he rim. I thought it was an excellent time-out by David Cox at the time to not only get his team together to emphasize the shot clock situation but also to draw up a play. Ball went to Mitchell for a 12 foot shot that didn't fall but I thought a good Coaching move by Cox.

Team is ready for @ Western Kentucky they A10 play begins at home vs Davidson. Would be mice if Cox can schedule another game or two before A10 play to keep the team sharp and continuously improving.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago For the 3rd straight game, David Cox stayed with the 2 changes he made for Game 3. He subbed Malik Martin for Jalen Carey and he subbed Makhel Mitchell for Makhi Mitchell. Since the change we have won 3 straight games vs South Florida (AAC), San Francisco (WCC) and Seton Hall (BE).

After losing to Arizona State and then to Boston College, I never would have imagined we would win the next 3 games. In fact, I was thinking we could go winless in OOC heading into A10 play.

David Cox has done a great job in Coaching this team back into contention. The lineup change was a bold move, not just one change, but two starter changes.

We looked very good against Seton Hall tonight. At one point the ball was out of bounds and we had only 2 seconds on the shot clock since a shot failed to hit he rim. I thought it was an excellent time-out by David Cox at the time to not only get his team together to emphasize the shot clock situation but also to draw up a play. Ball went to Mitchell for a 12 foot shot that didn't fall but I thought a good Coaching move by Cox.

Team is ready for @ Western Kentucky they A10 play begins at home vs Davidson. Would be mice if Cox can schedule another game or two before A10 play to keep the team sharp and continuously improving.
And it would be mice to watch this team as much as we can!

More gamez!
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

No complaints from me about Cox

I like the way he is distributing minutes and getting the players to perform keep up the good work coach
2 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Not to mention that he made the changes while maintaining team cohesion. That’s not easy given the depth of talent on this team.
2 x
Slava Ukraini!
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

He deserves a lot of credit for what he has put together.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Schedule - Starting Lineups
Arizona State (88-94) Loss
Boston College (64-69) Loss
South Florida (84-68) Win
San Francisco (84-71) Win
Seton Hall (76-63) Win
Wisconsin (62-73) Loss
Western Kentucky (65-68) Loss

After the first 2 losses, David Cox made 2 changes to the starting lineup that have remained in place for the past 5 games.
Makhel Mitchel replaced Mahki Mitchel
Malik Martin replaced Jalen Carey

With 2 back to back losses does David Cox make any starting line up changes for the 1st A10 Conference Game vs Davidson at the Ryan Center?
0 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

0 x
Common sense is not common.
RIrugger01
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RIrugger01 »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago
I don’t see when we need to take a time out on the list
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Can’t wait to see AB play !!
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Will Malek start tonight? We need to bounce out of the gate better than the last 2 games, and that blame certainly can be shared.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago Will Malek start tonight? We need to bounce out of the gate better than the last 2 games, and that blame certainly can be shared.
A lot of height and bulk with Davidson
Cox changed lineup after the first two losses which led to 3 straight wins. Now two straight losses again.
Rebounding is hurting us as is lack of assists and shooting efficiency.

I’ll get killed by Rhody15 for this but I’d start Harris. We have lost the opening tip 5 of 7 games now. Seem to get off to bad starts. Last season I recall URI missing 1 opening tip as Harris won most all of them.

We need Harris’ bulk vs Davidson.

I would start:
Harris 6’8”- then quickly sub Makhel after a few minutes. They will both pick up a bunch of fouls anyway
Walker 6’8” - playing well defensively and rebounding
Russell 5’7”
Leggett 6’2” - has earned a start. Great defense, passing, shooting, leadership
Johnson 6’7” - deserves a start after last game.

Sub Mitchell, Sheppard, Martin, Carey, Betrand - in that order

I don’t expect Cox to start 3 new guys but I would not be surprised to see 2 new starters tonight from who started the WKU game.

Davidson Starting 5:
Grady 6'5"
Lee 6'7" G
Collins 6'3" G
Brajkovic 6'10" F
Mennenga 6'9" F
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think the starters will be the same tonight
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 3 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago Will Malek start tonight? We need to bounce out of the gate better than the last 2 games, and that blame certainly can be shared.

I’ll get killed by Rhody15 for this but I’d start Harris. We have lost the opening tip 5 of 7 games now. Seem to get off to bad starts. Last season I recall URI missing 1 opening tip as Harris won most all of them.

We need Harris’ bulk vs Davidson.

I would start:
Harris 6’8”- then quickly sub Makhel after a few minutes. They will both pick up a bunch of fouls anyway
Walker 6’8” - playing well defensively and rebounding
Russell 5’7”
Leggett 6’2” - has earned a start. Great defense, passing, shooting, leadership
Johnson 6’7” - deserves a start after last game.

Sub Mitchell, Sheppard, Martin, Carey, Betrand - in that order

I give you credit Ramster for going out on a limb with your line-up change prediction. Not sure about Ish yet, probably Jeremy or Jalen. Still think Makhel over Harris for now. Your pick for DJ is intriguing, but they may like his offensive spark off the bench. I wonder what combinations Cox was using during practices this week.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The way things are going, no way does Cox deserve an extension.

He hasn't proven a thing when it comes to winning.

It will be interesting to see how Dooley's replacement feels about athletics down the road.

Dooley was very pro sports at URI. The new guy may not feel the same way.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago The way things are going, no way does Cox deserve an extension.

He hasn't proven a thing when it comes to winning.

It will be interesting to see how Dooley's replacement feels about athletics down the road.

Dooley was very pro sports at URI. The new guy may not feel the same way.
You have to extend or move on this year. No waiting.

It’s never been about the leadership, it’s on the donors, namely Tom Ryan.

If they want to buy out they can and will, if not we are doomed.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

It will also help Cox if he can turn Fatts back into a good player.

Poor guy playing with zero confidence. Hate seeing it.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago It will also help Cox if he can turn Fatts back into a good player.

Poor guy playing with zero confidence. Hate seeing it.
Yes you are right lacking confidence and you can see it in his body language he is pressing

Same goes with Shep also looks like he lost confidence too as did JH going 0-7 from the line wasn’t he over 70 % last year ??

Somebody said we have no identity and they are totally right
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Time to shorten the regular rotation to
Mitchell, Harris, Walker, Martin, Fatts, Leggett, Betrand.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Many on this board need to just chill out and not get their shorts in a knot

This team was in no-way a shoe-in for the 'Dance" this year, if we do make it that would be considered a bonus. As mentioned many times, the A10 is loaded this year in the top tier with teams having most of their starters returning.

We have players on this team that are talented, athletic, and show flashes at times but are still raw. Contrary to what some may think several of these newcomers are unproven at this level and come with baggage, regardless of how many stars they had.

It will take time for this team to gel and Cox to figure out the right combinations and how to distribute the minutes. We will continue
to have some bad loses and good wins, be prepared.

This is not normal season, so don't count it as one, the NCAA doesn't, they are giving the player's basically a free year without penalty. Some teams haven't played yet, conferences cancelled, teams on pause, games cancelled left and right, no fans at the games, shortened pre-season practices. So if you think the administration will base any decisions regarding Cox on this season you are crazy. He will probably get a short term extension and a vote of confidence from the top level.

This group probably does have the potential, but maybe not this year. The A10 coaches didn't think so in our pre-season ranking.

Many of us looked at this current team through rose colored glasses for immediate success, and now need to get a reality check.
Last edited by Jersey77 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Sorry Jersey but yours truly cannot "chill out" when the coach makes such a stupid basic mistake in keeping Mitchell in the game with 2 fouls in the first half. That move was indicative of the coaching we had to watch last night. Martin plays the game of his life and only played 26 minutes.....
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

David Cox, now three years into his tenure as head coach, has yet to win an A-10 league game Ryan Center home opener:
2020-21 Lost to Davidson 67-58
2019-20 Lost to Richmond 69-61
2018-19 Lost to George Mason 84-67
Average point margin of losses - 11.3
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

eli#10 wrote: 3 years ago Sorry Jersey but yours truly cannot "chill out" when the coach makes such a stupid basic mistake in keeping Mitchell in the game with 2 fouls in the first half. That move was indicative of the coaching we had to watch last night. Martin plays the game of his life and only played 26 minutes.....
I understand your frustration at some of Cox's decisions and bench coaching at times. I also scratch my head at some of things he does especially use of time outs and rotations but remember we aren't there at that moment. Cox may of had his reasons that we are unaware of for leaving Makhel in there or Martin's minutes, as viewers we don't know. It's easy for us to be armchair coaches, but I was referring to the long-term process, rather than cherry pick. One thing I do like about Cox is he admits his mistakes and knows that he also needs to improve and continue to learn.
0 x
Rhody19/21
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Rhody19/21 »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago Time to shorten the regular rotation to
Wayyyyyyy to earlier to shorten the rotation. You gonna act like Johnson didn’t single handedly keep us in the last game. Or Sheppard isn’t one of our best (streaky) shooter.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

........my view is that the long view/long term process is, yes based on what we seen since the hire is not favorable to the program.......the tide has turned for me.......I am not gonna get into a bash the coach after each loss.........a change in coaching will come when the parties decide to part ways.......if the bar remains Dance appearances and A-10 championships, I do not see it happening in the remaining time here for Coach Cox.......all incoming fire welcomed......I expect it.....edit, I loved the hire........
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

section(105) wrote: 3 years ago ........my view is that the long view/long term process is, yes based on what we seen since the hire is not favorable to the program.......the tide has turned for me.......I am not gonna get into a bash the coach after each loss.........a change in coaching will come when the parties decide to part ways.......if the bar remains Dance appearances and A-10 championships, I do not see it happening in the remaining time here for Coach Cox.......all incoming fire welcomed......I expect it.....
I agree. We could have, and should have done much better. The main reason people wanted David to be hired was to keep the team intact and keep the highly rated recruiting class here. Most of the recruits from that class and the following class are gone. So, even the reasoning for the hire hasn't worked out.
2 x
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

Rhody19/21 wrote: 3 years ago
Wayyyyyyy to earlier to shorten the rotation. You gonna act like Johnson didn’t single handedly keep us in the last game. Or Sheppard isn’t one of our best (streaky) shooter.
Agreed. 2 days ago many people wanted Martin on the bench permanently. Now he is part of the short rotation after he had a great game lol. Carey, DJ, Shepard have had solid games, just need to limit their TOs and get consistent. Stick with the rotation and adjust minutes based on the opponent and flow of each game.
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago
eli#10 wrote: 3 years ago Sorry Jersey but yours truly cannot "chill out" when the coach makes such a stupid basic mistake in keeping Mitchell in the game with 2 fouls in the first half. That move was indicative of the coaching we had to watch last night. Martin plays the game of his life and only played 26 minutes.....
I understand your frustration at some of Cox's decisions and bench coaching at times. I also scratch my head at some of things he does especially use of time outs and rotations but remember we aren't there at that moment. Cox may of had his reasons that we are unaware of for leaving Makhel in there or Martin's minutes, as viewers we don't know. It's easy for us to be armchair coaches, but I was referring to the long-term process, rather than cherry pick. One thing I do like about Cox is he admits his mistakes and knows that he also needs to improve and continue to learn.
I don’t think you need a blanket rule to 100% take a player out with two fouls in the first half. As a coach, you need to determine the feel of the game: are we behind and could we fall further behind with the player on the bench? You also have to consider the player. Is he mature enough to stay in the game and play effectively? You could take him out and he could pick up his third foul a minute into the second half: not much difference. I’m old enough to remember when the standard was everyone stayed in until picking up their third foul in the first half. I’m not sure when this changed. I would take the player out with under two minutes left in the half, though.
I think a broad view is needed in determining whether or not you think a coach can cut it.
1 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

I feel Sheppard will continue to get his minutes. On the other hand, Carey and Johnson may have to work to stay in the rotation. Both looked lost on defense at times last night and had some questionable shot selection.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago
section(105) wrote: 3 years ago ........my view is that the long view/long term process is, yes based on what we seen since the hire is not favorable to the program.......the tide has turned for me.......I am not gonna get into a bash the coach after each loss.........a change in coaching will come when the parties decide to part ways.......if the bar remains Dance appearances and A-10 championships, I do not see it happening in the remaining time here for Coach Cox.......all incoming fire welcomed......I expect it.....
I agree. We could have, and should have done much better. The main reason people wanted David to be hired was to keep the team intact and keep the highly rated recruiting class here. Most of the recruits from that class and the following class are gone. So, even the reasoning for the hire hasn't worked out.
The reason he was hired was because they felt he was the best candidate at the time. They probably still do. Just who do you expect to be coming through the door? As previously pointed out before we can even attract someone of the caliber you want, there needs to be major financial upgrades for this program. Cox will probably be allowed to stay here for this current group's duration at the school, and then based upon that success, decisions will be made. In the meantime he will be granted a short term extension. The administration and major donors happen to like him and unless you are willing to write a check for millions of dollars your opinion and others that share it, or mine, won't matter.
Last edited by Jersey77 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......I neva thought my opine, or anyone else’s here will matter in the decision making process of this or the next Coach.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

section(105) wrote: 3 years ago .......I neva thought my opine, or anyone else’s here will matter in the decision making process of this or the next Coach.....
I know :D , this year is taking its toll on us, I know it has on me.
0 x
Ibn34
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Ibn34 »

I don’t know if a lineup change, or anything else can TOTALLY fix some the problems here. Because most of the issues are embedded in the culture (or lack there of) of the program. And when that’s the case, doesn’t matter how much talent you gave or who’s playing what type of minutes. If you’re paying good attention, how many times do you see the players on the floor huddle up? How many times do you see guys sprinting in and out of the game duuring a substitution? When guys get knocked to the ground or dive for a loose ball (almost NEVER), does the entire group on the floor come to help them up?? How many times do you see guys frustrated if they get scored on, or don’t take a charge? I could keep going, but I won’t. All these things speaks to a nonexistent or bad culture. And that can’t be fixed in a few weeks. Even if they do start to play better and I believe they will. Those changes come with coaching staff changes, a commitment to building a brand/culture of ACCOUNTABILITY, and a lot more. The talent is there, even beyond this season. I believe Coach Cox is the right PERSONALITY for this program as well. Be he MUST hire guys that can and will be the “bad guys”, that he doesn’t want to be. That way, there can be great balance in the program. Right now, it’s like a $11.99 buffet on the old Vegas strip...every man for themselves.
2 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

1. It's been said only 10000 times on here, but Ish Leggett has been our most consistent player and needs more minutes. He seems to have the strength of an upperclassman, and his knack of finding ways to either score or get his man up in the air to draw a foul is special. The second he's on the floor, he provides a spark on both ends. Some guys are natural-born leaders, and he's one of them. It's amazing to me that Cox can't see this. I don't understand what more he needs to do.

2.Malik Martin was fantastic last night. I can't stand when a coach doesn't play the hot hand. After carrying the team early on, David Cox takes out Malik with 14:19 left in half. He puts him back in with 8:33 remaining. He continues to show that he's feeling good tonight with a fantastic fast break and 1 layup. What does Cox do? Takes him out!!!!? I don't give a shit that people wanted Malik benched. He was clearly red hot. WHY TAKE HIM OUT AGAIN??

3. When you have Makhi and Makhel I'm fine with playing them in the first half with two fouls. When you only have one, you need to take him out. Did Cox not learn anything from keeping Fatts in? Tim Welsh was finding the nicest way possible to talk about how many dumb mistakes we had as a team last night

4. With no fans, we desperately need a leader that can keep this team motivated. Dan Hurley had some bad losses. Some nights our guys were ice cold or made dumb mistakes and got outplayed. But I knew for a fact that a Dan Hurley player would run through a wall for their coach and teammates. The energy of our team is absolutely nonexistent. We aren't diving for balls; we aren't taking charges, we are getting outcoached and outhustled. I don't know if I've seen the team huddle up once this season... How the hell is David Cox not losing his mind by the lack of effort with some of the play last night? You realize Western Kentucky and Davidson wanted it more, and that's why they won the game. Imagine Dan Hurley if a player stood and watched like Cam Newton in the super bowl while a player on the other team sacrifices his body and dives for the ball? I wouldn't want to be that player.

5. I can't blame this all on Cox, but these are his guys. If you're not going to win games, at least play the guys working their asses off like Ish. I'm sure we will randomly win some games we shouldn't and lose others we should. That's what life has been like under Cox. INCONSISTENT
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Ibn34
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Ibn34 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 years ago 1. It's been said only 10000 times on here, but Ish Leggett has been our most consistent player and needs more minutes. He seems to have the strength of an upperclassman, and his knack of finding ways to either score or get his man up in the air to draw a foul is special. The second he's on the floor, he provides a spark on both ends. Some guys are natural-born leaders, and he's one of them. It's amazing to me that Cox can't see this. I don't understand what more he needs to do.

2.Malik Martin was fantastic last night. I can't stand when a coach doesn't play the hot hand. After carrying the team early on, David Cox takes out Malik with 14:19 left in half. He puts him back in with 8:33 remaining. He continues to show that he's feeling good tonight with a fantastic fast break and 1 layup. What does Cox do? Takes him out!!!!? I don't give a shit that people wanted Malik benched. He was clearly red hot. WHY TAKE HIM OUT AGAIN??

3. When you have Makhi and Makhel I'm fine with playing them in the first half with two fouls. When you only have one, you need to take him out. Did Cox not learn anything from keeping Fatts in? Tim Welsh was finding the nicest way possible to talk about how many dumb mistakes we had as a team last night

4. With no fans, we desperately need a leader that can keep this team motivated. Dan Hurley had some bad losses. Some nights our guys were ice cold or made dumb mistakes and got outplayed. But I knew for a fact that a Dan Hurley player would run through a wall for their coach and teammates. The energy of our team is absolutely nonexistent. We aren't diving for balls; we aren't taking charges, we are getting outcoached and outhustled. I don't know if I've seen the team huddle up once this season... How the hell is David Cox not losing his mind by the lack of effort with some of the play last night? You realize Western Kentucky and Davidson wanted it more, and that's why they won the game. Imagine Dan Hurley if a player stood and watched like Cam Newton in the super bowl while a player on the other team sacrifices his body and dives for the ball? I wouldn't want to be that player.

5. I can't blame this all on Cox, but these are his guys. If you're not going to win games, at least play the guys working their asses off like Ish. I'm sure we will randomly win some games we shouldn't and lose others we should. That's what life has been like under Cox. INCONSISTENT
I don’t think it could have been said any better than that 💯💯
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

The reason he was hired was because they felt he was the best candidate at the time. They probably still do. Just who do you expect to be coming through the door? As previously pointed out before we can even attract someone of the caliber you want, there needs to be major financial upgrades for this program. Cox will probably be allowed to stay here for this current group's duration at the school, and then based upon that success, decisions will be made. In the meantime he will be granted a short term extension. The administration and major donors happen to like him and unless you are willing to write a check for millions of dollars your opinion and others that share it, or mine, won't matter.
The best candidate based on what? If it was based on finances, as you say, remember that David Cox's contract is much less than what we were offering Dan Hurley to stay. So, apparently the money was there if they wanted to go after a more experienced and more proven coach. You don't think his hiring had anything to do with the reason I stated?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Rhody Sody wrote: 3 years ago
Agreed. 2 days ago many people wanted Martin on the bench permanently. Now he is part of the short rotation after he had a great game lol. Carey, DJ, Shepard have had solid games, just need to limit their TOs and get consistent. Stick with the rotation and adjust minutes based on the opponent and flow of each game.
Agree with the lack of culture and nonexistent identity.
Also agree with the above as being an area Cox needs to improve on...feel for the game. And how to use your guys. It was clear 10-15 minutes into the game that DJ and Carey weren’t ready, and that Malik was hot. Also Ish sitting way too long. In other games Malik has been sleepwalking so pull him and go with other guys. Have to read the game and read your guys; he certainly knows them better than us but some of this seems evident. I also would have let Betrand get the butterflies out early versus sitting him for 12+ game minutes. Our back court was abysmal last night so I’m not sure why Ish wasn’t getting more minutes.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Ibn34 wrote: 3 years ago I don’t know if a lineup change, or anything else can TOTALLY fix some the problems here. Because most of the issues are embedded in the culture (or lack there of) of the program. And when that’s the case, doesn’t matter how much talent you gave or who’s playing what type of minutes. If you’re paying good attention, how many times do you see the players on the floor huddle up? How many times do you see guys sprinting in and out of the game duuring a substitution? When guys get knocked to the ground or dive for a loose ball (almost NEVER), does the entire group on the floor come to help them up?? How many times do you see guys frustrated if they get scored on, or don’t take a charge? I could keep going, but I won’t. All these things speaks to a nonexistent or bad culture. And that can’t be fixed in a few weeks. Even if they do start to play better and I believe they will. Those changes come with coaching staff changes, a commitment to building a brand/culture of ACCOUNTABILITY, and a lot more. The talent is there, even beyond this season. I believe Coach Cox is the right PERSONALITY for this program as well. Be he MUST hire guys that can and will be the “bad guys”, that he doesn’t want to be. That way, there can be great balance in the program. Right now, it’s like a $11.99 buffet on the old Vegas strip...every man for themselves.
Couldn't agree more on the basic problem. If you don't take charges or dive for loose balls it will be a bad team. When is the last time you saw Jalen Carey dive for a loose ball. Last night he watched twice. That being said, I am not sure of what happened to the culture- it wasn't that many years ago that we had the exact opposite- TJ and his floor burns. Stan and his taking charges. Jarvis taking a charge under the basket. Terrell would never lose a fight for a loose ball. And of course, Hassan.

I see that attitude from Malik, Jermaine and the old Fatts. Trying hard to think of anyone else???
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 years ago 1. It's been said only 10000 times on here, but Ish Leggett has been our most consistent player and needs more minutes. He seems to have the strength of an upperclassman, and his knack of finding ways to either score or get his man up in the air to draw a foul is special. The second he's on the floor, he provides a spark on both ends. Some guys are natural-born leaders, and he's one of them. It's amazing to me that Cox can't see this. I don't understand what more he needs to do.

Exactly !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1 x
Ibn34
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Ibn34 »

McRam wrote: 3 years ago
Ibn34 wrote: 3 years ago I don’t know if a lineup change, or anything else can TOTALLY fix some the problems here. Because most of the issues are embedded in the culture (or lack there of) of the program. And when that’s the case, doesn’t matter how much talent you gave or who’s playing what type of minutes. If you’re paying good attention, how many times do you see the players on the floor huddle up? How many times do you see guys sprinting in and out of the game duuring a substitution? When guys get knocked to the ground or dive for a loose ball (almost NEVER), does the entire group on the floor come to help them up?? How many times do you see guys frustrated if they get scored on, or don’t take a charge? I could keep going, but I won’t. All these things speaks to a nonexistent or bad culture. And that can’t be fixed in a few weeks. Even if they do start to play better and I believe they will. Those changes come with coaching staff changes, a commitment to building a brand/culture of ACCOUNTABILITY, and a lot more. The talent is there, even beyond this season. I believe Coach Cox is the right PERSONALITY for this program as well. Be he MUST hire guys that can and will be the “bad guys”, that he doesn’t want to be. That way, there can be great balance in the program. Right now, it’s like a $11.99 buffet on the old Vegas strip...every man for themselves.
Couldn't agree more on the basic problem. If you don't take charges or dive for loose balls it will be a bad team. When is the last time you saw Jalen Carey dive for a loose ball. Last night he watched twice. That being said, I am not sure of what happened to the culture- it wasn't that many years ago that we had the exact opposite- TJ and his floor burns. Stan and his taking charges. Jarvis taking a charge under the basket. Terrell would never lose a fight for a loose ball. And of course, Hassan.

I see that attitude from Malik, Jermaine and the old Fatts. Trying hard to think of anyone else???
Ish Leggett has that demeanor/attitude in ♠️’s....
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

The best candidate based on what? If it was based on finances, as you say, remember that David Cox's contract is much less than what we were offering Dan Hurley to stay. So, apparently the money was there if they wanted to go after a more experienced and more proven coach. You don't think his hiring had anything to do with the reason I stated?
When they made the Cox announcement as head coach, Thorr said that they took their time and due diligence to make the right hire. When you promote from within you always try to maintain the continuity. Cox was the associate head coach and certainly earned his stripes. I am sure Dan along with others gave him a glowing reference and recommendation. Also his strong recruiting base, connections in the prep ranks, and hard work played a large part. They also commented that he interviewed extremely well and said all the right things. There may of been more money out there for higher profile candidates, but not sure of the interest level on our end or theirs. I liked the hire then and time will tell if it works out in the end. I never said it was based on salary.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Cox might be well liked by everyone, but if he doesn't win, so what?

This isn't a popularity contest. Are some of his players playing hard for him? Doesn't seem so. Hurley would never have put up with some of the stuff we're seeing.

Thorr and URI know that when the time comes to hire a new coach/staff, it's going to cost a lot more than what they are paying them now.

With the loss of income due to covid, I doubt they will pull the plug at the end of this season no matter what happens.

But you get what you pay for. They will have to hire someone with a track record of experience and winning, most likely from another mid major or maybe just below our level.

DC might have been the best choice at the time, but he had no experience as a head coach. A lot of coaches are good at being assistants, but when it come to being the head man, they fail. Just look at the NFL for comparision.

Cox just may be in over his head.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

There was a loss of income for sure, but there was also a big loss in expense as well. Not sure how the numbers work out. But covid or not, this team is not performing well. So now we have the A10 tournament to look forward to, to see if we get the autobid. That, in year 3 after going to 2 NCAAT's, is just a fail.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Cox might be well liked by everyone, but if he doesn't win, so what?

This isn't a popularity contest. Are some of his players playing hard for him? Doesn't seem so. Hurley would never have put up with some of the stuff we're seeing.

Thorr and URI know that when the time comes to hire a new coach/staff, it's going to cost a lot more than what they are paying them now.

With the loss of income due to covid, I doubt they will pull the plug at the end of this season no matter what happens.

But you get what you pay for. They will have to hire someone with a track record of experience and winning, most likely from another mid major or maybe just below our level.

DC might have been the best choice at the time, but he had no experience as a head coach. A lot of coaches are good at being assistants, but when it come to being the head man, they fail. Just look at the NFL for comparision.

Cox just may be in over his head.
Don't disagree, but I think they will probably wait till after season 5 if they decide to make a change, in the meantime he will probably get a 2 year extension after this year (that is just common practice).Also to get a quality hire, if that time comes, aside from the higher salary, they need to invest more money to upgrade the entire program (facilities, assistants $, charters, etc.). IMO
0 x