11/28 | University of South Florida | 5:30 PM (ESPN3) | Bubbleville – Mohegan Sun

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

11/28 | University of South Florida | 5:30 PM (ESPN3) | Bubbleville – Mohegan Sun

Unread post by spookydog »

University of Rhode Island vs University of South Florida
Mohegan Sun Arena, Uncasville, CT
Saturday, November 28, 2020
5:30PM

Media
TV: ESPN3
Online: ESPN3
Radio: 101.5 FM (B101) or Tune In Radio App

Previews:
USF’s Fan Forum
Another USF Fan Forum

Well, this season has not started off as Rhody fans would have liked. Two winnable games, one against a ranked opponent, slipped through their hands because of turnovers, fouls, & free throw shooting. The Rams now head into Saturday’s game against USF still searching for their first win. Thankfully they have a day off to catch their breath, straighten things out before playing Saturday night. Even with the poor free throw shooting & foul trouble, Rhody’s shooting has been keeping them in the games so far. Only Fatts & Martin are shooting under 50% on the season (minimum of 2 attempts). Fatts’ 3 point shooting is only 21%. That needs to be closer to 33%. Hopefully he can turn it around from behind the arc. South Florida has played only one game this season & it was against a NAIA school. USC was down at the half but pulled away in the second half, eventually winning by 10. Senior guard David Collins went for 17, 5, & 3. The Mitchell twins will not be the tallest players on the court as the Bulls start a 7 footer down low. I hope URI finally comes out & plays a complete game from start to finish. If that is the case, URI should win by 5 or 6. Otherwise, who the hell knows. I am predicting a final score of 81-73 with Rhody winning. If USF goes with a Hack-A-Mitchell strategy, this one could easily go the other way. Wear a Mask & Go Rhody!

Opponent
Record:
1-0, 0-0 in the American
Last season: 13-18, 7-13 in the ACC

Rankings (URI):
RPI: 144 (23)
KenPom: 87 (101)
NCAA NET: 125 (57)*
BPI: 85 (98)
* = Last Year’s Rankings

Leaders :
Points – David Collins 17.0 (Sr.,G)
Rebounds – Jamir Chaplin 7.0 (Soph., G)
Assists – Caleb Murphy 7.0 (Fr., G) (3.0 TO per game)

Historical
Series: 2-1
H: 1-0, A: 0-1, N: 1-0
Most Recent Matchup: 11/16/07 74-67 W at Glenn Wilkes Classic
Most Recent Win Streak: 1 – URI
Match-up Predictor: 49.9% Chance of URI Winning
3 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Re: 11/28 | University of South Florida | 5:30 PM (ESPN3) | Bubbleville – Mohegan Sun

Unread post by section(105) »

.......spooky dog, nice job with these, thx.
3 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: 11/28 | University of South Florida | 5:30 PM (ESPN3) | Bubbleville – Mohegan Sun

Unread post by ramster »

section(105) wrote: 3 years ago .......spooky dog, nice job with these, thx.
I agree. Native set a very high bar with tremendous pregame write-ups in past years. Spooky is doing great as well!
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

South Florida: Alexis Yetna’s season-ending knee injury pushed the Bulls’ trajectory back a season, but they’re still on track to be one of the best teams in the American Athletic Conference. With Yetna now healthy, Brian Gregory has an all-conference caliber player up front to feature in the pivot. Veteran guard David Collins headlines a strong returning nucleus that includes four of South Florida’s top six scorers from last season. Top-100 freshman Caleb Murphy is an impactful newcomer and could push for a starting spot. On the heels of a 14-win season, the Bulls have the requisites to be in the NCAA Tournament discussion in 2021.

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Men's Basketball Preseason Coaches' Poll
Team (First-Place Votes) Points
1. Houston (9) 99
2. Memphis (2) 90
3. SMU 80
4. Cincinnati 77
5. USF 61
6. Tulsa 50
7. Wichita State 44
8. UCF 37
9. East Carolina 34
10. Temple 18
11. Tulane 15

https://gousfbulls.com/news/2020/10/28/ ... fifth.aspx
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

A must win third game into the season???
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

No panic here, even if we go 0-3. There is talent on the URI team and they will improve quickly playing top competition. Give me this season so far over seasons of the past.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago A must win third game into the season???
The challenge comparing this season to prior seasons is the unpredictability of the schedule.

In past seasons, you may have been able to fall back on "Well we have struggled early but we'll get better during conference play."

But what happens in you miss out on quality chances during OOC, and then have games against tournament-quality opponents cancelled in January and February due to COVID?

If you need those type of wins to make-up ground, but lose the opportunities, it may be tougher to get across the finish line. Certainly losing those two games is not the end of the world, but don't want to compound those missed opportunities by coughing one of the next two, very winnable games against either one of the USF's.
2 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

Not to get to far ahead but San Fran has a 4 pt lead over #4 Virginia 7 minutes into the 2nd half. Could be a rough start to the season if we don’t make some adjustments
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Ok I have an Espn plus subscription I guess the game will be there right ??
0 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Shinze88 wrote: 3 years ago Not to get to far ahead but San Fran has a 4 pt lead over #4 Virginia 7 minutes into the 2nd half. Could be a rough start to the season if we don’t make some adjustments
And the Dons get the upset win over #4 Virginia, they have a nice team, they play well together, unselfish, well coached, defend well, spread the floor and have 2 very good guards, and they dont make many mistakes. They will be favored to beat us.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

They shot 13-27 from 3, and they made their last 6 in a row.

Virginia 4th ranked? Nowhere near that good right now.
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Shinze88 wrote: 3 years ago
Shinze88 wrote: 3 years ago Not to get to far ahead but San Fran has a 4 pt lead over #4 Virginia 7 minutes into the 2nd half. Could be a rough start to the season if we don’t make some adjustments
And the Dons get the upset win over #4 Virginia, they have a nice team, they play well together, unselfish, well coached, defend well, spread the floor and have 2 very good guards, and they dont make many mistakes. They will be favored to beat us.
Wow. Just think, that could have been us if Fatts didn't foul out against AZ State.
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Even more impressive - this was USF's 3rd game in 3 days!
0 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Rams open as 1.5 point underdogs to USF
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Really hoping the team starts to limit it's turnovers & begins playing a more disciplined defense.
I'd love to see DJ begin to hit more 3pt shots. Sheppard has been pretty good thus far, but they need a third offensive threat to step up, preferably from behind the arc in my opinion. I think DJ needs to be this teams sharp shooter.
Carey seems to be more of a slasher & mid-range shooter.
I'd really love to see these guys begin to establish roles for themselves in this game as well as begin to find out what spots on the floor are most advantageous to them hitting a shot.
I've been pretty impressed by Walker so far. It seems to me that he's more confident, aggressive, & knows when to cut to the basket to take a pass from Fatts or a guard cutting to the basket.
I've noticed the big men are a bit too upright on defense, which seems to limit their side to side mobility & they get caught ball watching too often when a shot goes up. I'd like to see the Mitchel twins start to improve in these areas.
1 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

USF was losing to Florida College 46-42 at halftime we can’t fall to 0-3
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Bulls have considerable height advantage over our 3 starting guards. 6'4", 6'4" and 6'6"

Starters
Russell 5'7"
Sheppard 6'1"
Jalen Carey 6'3"
Antwan Walker 6'7"
Makhi Mitchell 6'9"

Malik Martin 6'6"
DJ Johnson; 6'7"
Makhel Mitchell; 6'9"

Starters
Caleb Murphy 6'4" - Freshman - ESPN #76 Ranked Class of 2020. Best Hairstyle of the ESPN Top 100
Michael Durr 7'0
Prince Oduro 6'8"
Justin Brown 6'6"
David Collins 6'4"

Alexis Yetna 6'10" - Sat out all of last year with injury. Should be 1st or 2nd team all AAC this season. Being brought along slowly by Brian Gregory
Jamir Chaplin 6'8"
Rashun Williams 6'2"
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

The Dude wrote: 3 years ago Really hoping the team starts to limit it's turnovers & begins playing a more disciplined defense.
I'd love to see DJ begin to hit more 3pt shots. Sheppard has been pretty good thus far, but they need a third offensive threat to step up, preferably from behind the arc in my opinion. I think DJ needs to be this teams sharp shooter.
Carey seems to be more of a slasher & mid-range shooter.
I'd really love to see these guys begin to establish roles for themselves in this game as well as begin to find out what spots on the floor are most advantageous to them hitting a shot.
I've been pretty impressed by Walker so far. It seems to me that he's more confident, aggressive, & knows when to cut to the basket to take a pass from Fatts or a guard cutting to the basket.
I've noticed the big men are a bit too upright on defense, which seems to limit their side to side mobility & they get caught ball watching too often when a shot goes up. I'd like to see the Mitchel twins start to improve in these areas.
......yes, for me these are the player roles in the recipe for success with this team.....with Fatts being Fatts.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago No panic here, even if we go 0-3. There is talent on the URI team and they will improve quickly playing top competition. Give me this season so far over seasons of the past.
Holy shit...did you...did you just say something positive???

I hope this is a breakthrough. I'm proud of you.
1 x
Urifan91
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Urifan91 »

Getting all our newcomers to play well together and in the roles to make them most successful is going to take time. If you think about it several rotation guys (both Mitchells, Carey, Sheppard, Johnson) have not played in games that really count in quite a while.

The OOC schedule this year provides great opportunities but also is going to be very difficult. Experienced teams that play well together can often beat talented teams of individual players.

I think Coach Cox did a great job recruiting talent on to this years roster but has a very tough task ahead of him getting them all to gel as a successful team this year. I need to remind myself to be patient and just enjoy watching Rhody basketball. Hopefully this team can come together in A10 play.
4 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Urifan91 wrote: 3 years ago Getting all our newcomers to play well together and in the roles to make them most successful is going to take time. If you think about it several rotation guys (both Mitchells, Carey, Sheppard, Johnson) have not played in games that really count in quite a while.

The OOC schedule this year provides great opportunities but also is going to be very difficult. Experienced teams that play well together can often beat talented teams of individual players.

I think Coach Cox did a great job recruiting talent on to this years roster but has a very tough task ahead of him getting them all to gel as a successful team this year. I need to remind myself to be patient and just enjoy watching Rhody basketball. Hopefully this team can come together in A10 play.
I love level headed people. Thanks for this post.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago
Urifan91 wrote: 3 years ago Getting all our newcomers to play well together and in the roles to make them most successful is going to take time. If you think about it several rotation guys (both Mitchells, Carey, Sheppard, Johnson) have not played in games that really count in quite a while.

Exactly, we may also want to temper our expectations in conference play this season. The A10 is loaded with teams that have much of their roster intact with many talented starters back. I too was guilty of being overly optimistic about the immediate impact of our transfers.
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rhody also catches a break with Alexis Yetna still working his way back from injury. He is a tough match-up for them. But, like Heath/Kelly showed, they’re better off worrying about themselves.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

This game gonna be a war

URI 68-65
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

What is the status of Jermaine Harris? Earlier injury reports indicated that he was out for the Wednesday and Thursday games but might be available for the weekend.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Let’s hope JH plays we could use him for about 25 minutes
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

RF1 wrote: 3 years ago What is the status of Jermaine Harris? Earlier injury reports indicated that he was out for the Wednesday and Thursday games but might be available for the weekend.
......Cox, in the Pamphlet today, said JH was “dat to day”.......aren’t we all.....?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago
Urifan91 wrote: 3 years ago Getting all our newcomers to play well together and in the roles to make them most successful is going to take time. If you think about it, several rotation guys (both Mitchells, Carey, Sheppard, Johnson) have not played in games that really count in quite a while.

I think Coach Cox did a great job recruiting talent onto this year's roster but has a very tough task ahead of him getting them all to gel as a successful team this year. I need to remind myself to be patient and just enjoy watching Rhody basketball. Hopefully, this team can come together in A10 play.
He has a tough task because he lost a lot of talent. I love what Cox brought in, but people act as if he is in year 1 and was handed this roster. Besides Fatts (Dan's player), this is Cox's team. Keep in mind we are losing that all American candidate after this season. I'm not giving up on Cox, but I'm certainly not going to be ok with a bad record come conference play.. We have to want more than that from our fanbase when a coach is in his 3rd year. Win the next two, and things are back on track. I still have faith. Go Rhody!
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Has anyone listened to a game on the radio yet? If so, is it Steve and Don doing the games?
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Now I get the tempered expectations because of an unpredictable year - but this is year 3 of a head coach who inherited a very strong team and program.

Yes the incoming transfer talent is among the best we’ve ever had - but that’s Cox’s job - as is talent retention. It’s great that he fixed the mess he created, but it is fair for this program to have high expectations. That’s been the whole talk since Cox took over - the bar is championships and NCAA appearances.

There is zero reason we should be 0-3 after playing BC and USF.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

If we don't win today or tomorrow, there's a chance we start 0-9 as we will likely be underdogs in the next 5 games after this weekend.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago Has anyone listened to a game on the radio yet? If so, is it Steve and Don doing the games?
......I caught the beginning of game one, Steve mentioned they were “remotely”......Don sounded like he was on a phone......I hope for the home games they will be able to work in the Rhody Insider......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

I think Walker is best used catching and shooting than one on one or distributing the ball. He is also very good crashing the offensive board. He should focus on his strengths and avoid his weaknesses.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago Has anyone listened to a game on the radio yet? If so, is it Steve and Don doing the games?
Steve is in mid-season form — reading the game notes and doing his own color instead of doing play-by-play.
2 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

....the staff had to recruit kids they hadn’t seen play outside of game tape. Knowing them only through Zoom calls. It’s a daunting task. Yet, here we are. They had no scrimmages, no real way to evaluate in game ability or strengths, outside of practice. Sure, call them excuses...but it’s also a reality.

Two games in two days, with no real practice time, we said these games were going to be like pickup basketball games, ugly, yet mildly entertaining. Many claim they know what to expect, then when they get what they expect, it’s like you never saw it coming.

I will not become an entitled, spastic, temper tantrum throwing toddler when the tides gets rough. It’s the usual suspects after every loss. We lost to a Top 20 team, and BC who just finished going to the wire with #3 Nova. They deserve credit for that.

No doubt, our boys have to get there shit together. But stomping my feet and pouting in the face of adversity, solves nothing.

Hate me, tolerate me, ignore me or love me, I’ll be here, and save all the Cox retorts, I’ve heard them all, it is what it is, I know I’m a fan of the team, and that’s all that really matters in the end. Go Rhody!
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

The OOC schedule is very difficult need to beat both USF this weekend or our record could get ugly
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago Now I get the tempered expectations because of an unpredictable year - but this is year 3 of a head coach who inherited a very strong team and program.

Yes the incoming transfer talent is among the best we’ve ever had - but that’s Cox’s job - as is talent retention. It’s great that he fixed the mess he created, but it is fair for this program to have high expectations. That’s been the whole talk since Cox took over - the bar is championships and NCAA appearances.

There is zero reason we should be 0-3 after playing BC and USF.
I wouldn't get too worked up this year one way or another. In lieu of everything that has gone on, we weren't even sure there was going to be a season, still may end up being shortened again. We lost many key players from last year (through graduation and transfers), and I feel that Cox has done a remarkable job of filling out this roster under difficult circumstances. We need to be patient, it will take time to put all our pieces together, and we are not alone. Teams that haven't had a large roster turnover, will have a huge advantage especially this season. I for one am grateful we even have sports to watch this year.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......JH gonna dress, not start.....according to Steve n pregame....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Line switch now URI -1 138.5
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Any chance these ESPN3 announcers can JUST ... SHUT ... UP?
2 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Urifan91
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Urifan91 »

Any explanation for the lineup change?
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

We have no cable service since switching to YouTube TV. So I can't get the video feed, totally sucks. Resorting to listening to Don solo on the radio...
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.....the pbp guy sounds like Joe Buck......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

Very Impressed with the Energy on the defensive end! GO Rhody!
1 x
mjg13x
Jeff Kent

Unread post by mjg13x »

RI_Bred wrote: 3 years ago We have no cable service since switching to YouTube TV. So I can't get the video feed, totally sucks. Resorting to listening to Don solo on the radio...
If you have YouTube TV, you can log in to WatchESPN to get the live video feed.
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Finally got in. Off to a nice start. And I like these announcers. They're knowledgeable and articulate.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 3 years ago Any chance these ESPN3 announcers can JUST ... SHUT ... UP?
......the color guy is way, way, way to much.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938