UMass

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

UMass

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Re: UMass

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Yikes...

Awaiting the dirt details re uMass hoops
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Almost seems like a nonstory. 12 people got a total of $9K more than they were suppossed to.
"Come here and we will pay you...$750..."
2 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Not that I don't think UMass is sleazy - they're still employing Tony Bergeron, aren't they? - but the NCAA banging them over this seems silly to me. Providing $9,100 to 12 athletes means they got about $758 each.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

It involved 12 student athletes whose aid was not readjusted when they moved off campus during the 2014-15 to 2016-17 seasons. 10 of them were UMass men's basketball players. UMass will appeal the NCAA decision.

UMass expecting to appeal NCAA men’s basketball, women’s tennis penalties for ′accidental’ extra benefit violations worth $9,187
https://www.masslive.com/umassbasketbal ... -9187.html

UMass is expected to fight the NCAA to avoid vacating three seasons worth of victories in men’s basketball and women’s tennis over a series of 13 administrative violations totaling a combined $9,187.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Yeah, this seems to be a big nothingburger, especially when you compare it to Sean Miller and Will Wade.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Someone has to pay for the Cartel‘s violations.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

If the NCAA found that this was a racket knowingly carried out by scholarship athletes and the athletic department to provide excess benefits, then the penalty would make sense. But, the NCAA found otherwise and there is no history of questionable practices by UMASS. It makes no sense to me. There is more to the story.

It never ceases to amaze me how in higher education they will spend tens of thousands of dollars in people time and associated investigative costs on such a minor matter. They have institutionalized the "academic exercise" while the cost of higher education increases unabated.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Friendly reminder that political posts aren't allowed here - Take it to Reddit or Facebook. Thanks!
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The A-10 commissioner issued a strongly worded statement attacking the harshness of the NCAA's punishment of UMass.

https://atlantic10.com/news/2020/10/16/ ... etics.aspx
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

What does probation mean here?
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

Although F*** UMass, this punishment is straight garbage compared to the lack of punishment for other programs which are dirty from top to bottom.
0 x