Prediction on starting 5 to open the season

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Prediction on starting 5 to open the season

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Now that we have finalized our roster this year and the waivers granted, what is the guess on our starting 5 to begin the season barring any injury.
Below is my thought:
Fatts - PG
Jeremy - PG/SG
Malik - SG/SF
Jermaine - PF/C
Makhi - PF/C

Jalen will be 6th man and first off the bench at guard, Antwan and DJ will sub minutes at SF/PF. Makhel will share duties at C/PF and the freshman guards will get some spot duty or possibly redshirt along with Ileri. I think we will play up tempo and aggressive pressure defense with the bench getting plenty of minutes. We have the luxury this year of having plenty of depth.
4 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Re: Prediction on starting 5 to open the season

Unread post by PeteRI »

That's a helluva team. I hope we get to watch them play!
6 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

The two Fr guards will not be redshirting. You don’t go a season with 3 guards.
The only question on the starting line up is Malik or DJ.
It’s hard to say Carey will be the 6th man. What if Harris picks up two quick fouls like he did often last year.
Carey is the first G off the bench and Walker is likely the first F off the bench.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody83 wrote: 3 years ago The two Fr guards will not be redshirting. You don’t go a season with 3 guards.
The only question on the starting line up is Malik or DJ.
It’s hard to say Carey will be the 6th man. What if Harris picks up two quick fouls like he did often last year.
Carey is the first G off the bench and Walker is likely the first F off the bench.
Yes I agree. both won't redshirt, possibly only Tres if he doesn't think he will get meaningful minutes. Also, Malik can play SG (that would give another guard) and Antwan or DJ sub at SF
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I don’t see Malik at SG. DJ is SF.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I think Malik can play either SG or SF, that position can be interchangeable for certain players depending on the team's need. Malik is listed at guard on our roster and was also listed that way on Charlotte's roster.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

FATTS
Shep
Carey
Harris
Mitchell
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......Fatts and four others....
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Certainly more options then we typically have. Tough one for Coach. I’m sure it’s wicked competitive to fill those slots.
0 x
GO RAMS
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

I'm not sure who will start the season but will be interesting to see how the minutes get distributed and who ends up starting by the end of the season (if we get there)
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Fatts
Shep
Malik
JH
Twin # 1
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 3 years ago I'm not sure who will start the season but will be interesting to see how the minutes get distributed and who ends up starting by the end of the season (if we get there)
Bingo
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Fatts
A Twin
3 others
2 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago Now that we have finalized our roster this year and the waivers granted, what is the guess on our starting 5 to begin the season barring any injury.
Below is my thought:
Fatts - PG
Jeremy - PG/SG
Malik - SG/SF
Jermaine - PF/C
Makhi - PF/C

Jalen will be 6th man and first off the bench at guard, Antwan and DJ will sub minutes at SF/PF. Makhel will share duties at C/PF and the freshman guards will get some spot duty or possibly redshirt along with Ileri. I think we will play up tempo and aggressive pressure defense with the bench getting plenty of minutes. We have the luxury this year of having plenty of depth.
My vote as well. Would be surprised to see minutes go by where at least one of Fatts and Sheppard aren’t on the floor given their ability to distribute and generate offense. Will also be fun to see both twins on the floor together since we haven’t had much height over the past number of years.
0 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago FATTS
Shep
Carey
Harris
Mitchell
Agreed. I doubt Carey came here to be 6th man when he was starting at Syracuse.
2 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

I have no insider knowledge but having paid attention the last two seasons I'd be surprised if the 3 shorter guards play together for extended periods. I think Martin is a better fit for the starting five than going super small. I think at least seven guys will play a lot of minutes and hopefully they can spread out the minutes so we can finish the season strong.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody Sody wrote: 3 years ago
Shep
Carey
Harris
Mitchell
Carey played 2 games his sophomore year (medical redshirt) and only averaged 12 minutes/game (3.5 points) his freshman year. He has 3 years of eligibility where as Martin only has 2 years left and was a significant contributor as a starter at Charlotte, plus he has the added length that we need at SG/SF. I would be surprised if Carey starts over Sheppard (freshman all conference team at ECU) who is a senior and spent all last year practicing with the team.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I predict that whoever Cox thinks is best will start.
2 x
Slava Ukraini!
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody Sody wrote: 3 years ago
Shep
Carey
Harris
Mitchell
Carey played 2 games his sophomore year (medical redshirt) and only averaged 12 minutes/game (3.5 points) his freshman year. He has 3 years of eligibility where as Martin only has 2 years left and was a significant contributor as a starter at Charlotte, plus he has the added length that we need at SG/SF. I would be surprised if Carey starts over Sheppard (freshman all conference team at ECU) who is a senior and spent all last year practicing with the team.
Carey came into his sophomore year as the starter. Due to his thumb, he was not the same player and decided to get surgery. If Carey were healthy, he probably wouldn't be on our roster. I love Martin, and I think he will be a big piece to our team, but Carey has a much higher upside. It will be hard to keep him off the court.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

There are some question marks on Carey (not sure his reason for leaving Syracuse), who does have great upside, but Martin is a proven starter and has the size to replace Tyrese. I love the depth on this team and Cox has many pieces to work with in his rotation. I don't see much of a drop off between who starts and our bench, plus we have Betrand who is redshirting and our freshman guards may prove valuable as subs this year.
1 x
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago There are some question marks on Carey (not sure his reason for leaving Syracuse), who does have great upside, but Martin is a proven starter and has the size to replace Tyrese. I love the depth on this team and Cox has many pieces to work with in his rotation. I don't see much of a drop off between who starts and our bench, plus we have Betrand who is redshirting and our freshman guards may prove valuable as subs this year.
I think Martin is going to be a great addition and easily could start on this team. I just think Carey will be the starter. Either way love the options and the potential of the team this year. Cant wait to get this year started!
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

You don’t get a Top 50 kid to RI and bring him off the bench. Period. He’s starting, one way or another, imo.
3 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......five players w/o Covid 19 restrictions......good lord, what a freakin mess this all is, probably to get way worse before better.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago You don’t get a Top 50 kid to RI and bring him off the bench. Period. He’s starting, one way or another, imo.
Stanford Robinson was top 60 and came off the bench his first season at Rhody. Jalen Carey will have to earn a starting spot and he may, but do not think it will just be handed to him based on his high school ranking. I would not start the game with my best defensive player (Martin) on the bench.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

DeanDome88 wrote: 3 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago You don’t get a Top 50 kid to RI and bring him off the bench. Period. He’s starting, one way or another, imo.
Stanford Robinson was top 60 and came off the bench his first season at Rhody. Jalen Carey will have to earn a starting spot and he may, but do not think it will just be handed to him based on his high school ranking. I would not start the game with my best defensive player (Martin) on the bench.
I agree with DD, even if Carey doesn't start he will still get plenty of quality minutes and also has 3 years of eligibility left. Martin a junior with his great defense and size may add a needed toughness to the lineup, Fatts and Sheppard are smaller guards and will provide the offensive spark. In addition Cox did say he was pleasantly surprised about Martin's offensive game since he arrived on campus. Carey would give us some veteran guard leadership coming off the bench, spelling both Fatts and Sheppard, similar to what Stan did. There maybe times we can see all 3 on the floor the same time, depending upon the game situation. Anyway this is just my opinion and a lot can happen in the next month.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I am with starting Malik also making Jalen 6th man
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Jalen will start. Stan was a entirely different case study.
2 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

0 x
Common sense is not common.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I don't think it makes a huge difference who starts, between Carey and Martin - I think there's going to be a ton of minutes for both. Last year, Fatts, Dotwin and Tyrese Martin led the team at the 35 and 34 MPG respectively, because the roster depth was thin, and I doubt Cox actually wants to play his guards and wings *that* much. I think at most points last year, Cox decided "Tired Starter > Fresh Wing," with the options being Long, Hammond or Dana Tate for a hot minute. I think it's an easier decision to use your bench when you have some experienced D1 options on it.
0 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Cox has already talked about applying much more full court pressure on defense. There should be plenty of minutes to go around.
1 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

This team is DEEP homie.
0 x
- Mr. Rogers
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

It’s a good starting 5 and we have loads of depth off pine , I love this team
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

RhodyRams12 wrote: 3 years ago
As I said. Carey is not coming off the bench.

Love this team!!!
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......’October Depth........‘
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

DC just for shits and giggles, by some remote chance that they apply for and are granted a waiver for Betrand (due to the recent eligibility rule change for this year) would you start him ahead of Carey? I know from all your previous posts how high you are on Betrand, touting him as one of the best players on the roster.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Fatts
Sheppard
Carey
Harris
Makhi Michell

The starting five has the potential to be really strong. Fatts has to be the best version of himself, and Harris has to play like an upperclassman. There are two guys with a lot of recruiting hype, but who also played limited college minutes last season, in Mitchell (111) and Carey (23). Syracuse was a bad choice for Jalen, and I’m glad he’s in a much better spot now with a much better coach, for him. We know young bigs take time, but the sooner it comes together for Makhi the better. The talent is certainly there. I can’t explain how much I want Makhi and Makhel to be successful and for Maryland to look bad. Sheppard hasn’t played in a Division 1 game since March of 2017. I’m not concerned about him, though. He has the type of game where he could roll out of bed and put up 20.

I know people talk about it being a game of transfers, but this staff does still have to show it can recruit, retain, and develop freshmen. Leggett will be that guy, imo, and he’ll contribute as a freshman. Martin brings a ton of experience and a very solid, dependable, well-rounded offensive and defensive game. On a team with some uncertainty, that’s a lifesaver for a coach. He could end up in the starting 5, but I really like him off the bench. I’ll watch any of the Staten Island Martins play defense anytime, anywhere. Walker... I really like him and hope he provides just a little more than last season. To me, that’s your solid 8, 3 guys who played for URI last year and 5 new guys.

I’m holding back a little on DJ. I know he’s relatively new to the game, but I see anything he regularly contributes as a bonus. I would be thrilled to be proven wrong if he can pull together that athleticism into becoming a player. With Makhel, I think his better games come a year from now, but he’s still at least a motivated big body to throw out there. I hope they can work in Berry and find minutes for him to be successful. If even 2 out of those 3 contribute, this team’s golden.

If a lot breaks right, they’re an easy top 4 team in the conference. If not enough goes right, they should still be in the top half of the conference but will have work to do come conference tournament time. What makes this season even more difficult to predict, for every team, is that they don’t fully control everything that could go right or wrong. Getting some of the easier A10 teams early in the conference schedule could help this group, as they really could have benefited from a full OOC schedule. From a basketball perspective, any disruption to the schedule due to illness/quarantine/etc. (god, its still so weird to talk about sports in this way) is going to be rough, particularly for a team that’s trying to work out chemistry and roles.
Last edited by ace 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
7 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

It’s a good year to have depth. With all the unforeseen things that could go wrong (injury, illness, etc. ) you never know when you’ll have to rely on your 8-10 guys.
1 x
- Mr. Rogers
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Starters: FR 5’10, JS 6’1, JC 6’3, JH 6’9, MM 6’9
Subs: MM 6’6, MM 6’10, IL 6’2, AW 6’7, TB 6’3, DJ 6’7

Taking the starters from Rothsteins post. Good dispersion of size and speed...should be the smallest and biggest team we’ve had in a while. Will be interesting to see how we match up both offensively and defensively playing 3 lightning quick, but smaller guards.
1 x
- Mr. Rogers
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Good to hear from you Ace. Miss your perspective.
3 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Since we’re less than 48 hrs from game one, any indication on the projected lineups?
0 x
- Mr. Rogers
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

According to Koch:
Fatts, Sheppard, Carey, Walker, Harris

Looks like they are starting with a smaller, quicker lineup. Curious to see how we match up and I am sure Cox will sub freely and spread the minutes (at least at the wing and frontcourt).
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

No twins to start? Could be a match up thing.
0 x
GO RAMS
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

We have 4 guys who were on the team last year (and are starter level talent). Those guys set the tone. I like the lineup if this is it.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago We have 4 guys who were on the team last year (and are starter level talent). Those guys set the tone. I like the lineup if this is it.
This does make sense, they all do have the talent, played together the longest, and Cox did praise both Walker and JH in his recent interview on their off season focus and improvement.
0 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Koch explained his rationale for the starting lineup on the latest projo college hoops podcast - Antwan and Jermaine are the incumbents, if you will, and the positions are their jobs to lose, initially.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I’m hesitant to even post anything here given the fluidity of the season. But on the eve of Game 1 here are what i think are two keys for the fate of our season:

1.) Fatts. Need him to be more floor general than scorer. This is most offensive talent he has had around him since his FR year. I wanna see him averaging 6-8 assists per game, and getting us 16-18ppg. This team does not need 20+ppg from him. His professional future is as a PG, would like to see him show all the aspects of a great PG in his final season.

2.) Carey, Sheppard, Mitchell. These are the 3 highest ceiling guys of the new additions. Martin would follow close behind but I feel like you know more what to expect there. These 3 are all potential stars/alphas that if even 2 of them play to their level we become a much more dynamic team on both ends of the floor.

We have a lower floor than last year but also a higher ceiling. 3rd place will be much more difficult than last season with a much tougher and experienced upper tier of the A10. I think if we play to potential we are a more talented and dynamic roster this season than last. Chemistry, role definition, team mentality will all be critical and fall squarely on DCs shoulders. This is a stiff test of both his technical and relationship building skills. Melding the talent and getting buy in.

My take: Somewhere between 4th-6th in league with some head scratching losses but also some resounding wins against the top half. Team gets better as season progresses.
1 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago I’m hesitant to even post anything here given the fluidity of the season. But on the eve of Game 1 here are what i think are two keys for the fate of our season:

1.) Fatts. Need him to be more floor general than scorer. This is most offensive talent he has had around him since his FR year. I wanna see him averaging 6-8 assists per game, and getting us 16-18ppg. This team does not need 20+ppg from him. His professional future is as a PG, would like to see him show all the aspects of a great PG in his final season.

2.) Carey, Sheppard, Mitchell. These are the 3 highest ceiling guys of the new additions. Martin would follow close behind but I feel like you know more what to expect there. These 3 are all potential stars/alphas that if even 2 of them play to their level we become a much more dynamic team on both ends of the floor.

We have a lower floor than last year but also a higher ceiling. 3rd place will be much more difficult than last season with a much tougher and experienced upper tier of the A10. I think if we play to potential we are a more talented and dynamic roster this season than last. Chemistry, role definition, team mentality will all be critical and fall squarely on DCs shoulders. This is a stiff test of both his technical and relationship building skills. Melding the talent and getting buy in.

My take: Somewhere between 4th-6th in league with some head scratching losses but also some resounding wins against the top half. Team gets better as season progresses.
Absolutely, could not agree more with that final statement.
0 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

Agreed with the above sentiments, we can't overreact to the bubble record pro or con. Not only because our lineup will change significantly throughout the season, but there were hundreds of transfers throughout the NCAA this offseason and a lot of teams are in the same boat. Without a softer non-con start or even proper scrimmages/exhibition games, teams are going to figure things out on the fly.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

rhodyruckus wrote: 3 years ago Agreed with the above sentiments, we can't overreact to the bubble record pro or con. Not only because our lineup will change significantly throughout the season, but there were hundreds of transfers throughout the NCAA this offseason and a lot of teams are in the same boat. Without a softer non-con start or even proper scrimmages/exhibition games, teams are going to figure things out on the fly.
One thing I do think we have going in our favor is our guys have been back on campus all summer (at least that's what I thought). A lot of teams did not have that chance.

I want to see Antoine get out there and dominate. I think he can if he has the right mindset and attacks the game. Same with Jermaine. Should be interesting to see Jermaine's level of play now that he has two actual bigs to back him up if he gets into foul trouble. We were basically screwed against bigger teams last year if Jermaine got into trouble (no offense to Cyril who was a beast but was really undersized).
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Assuming all four games get played this week, I’ll be interested to see the total minutes played in these games. Even then, things could change between Sunday and the beginning of conference play, so we won’t be able to state it will definitely remain this way. Also, with hopefully more players contributing, minutes could be matchup dependent.
0 x