PC game cancelled - WHY???

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
raminwarwick
Abdul Fox

PC game cancelled - WHY???

Unread post by raminwarwick »

This years game was cancelled for this year. Does anyone know which team pushed for this and what is the ACTUAL reason. The teams have played for 80+ years and are only a short bus trip away (25 miles). It is a highlight game for each school every year and is always sold out .
Are we really to believe that a game like this could not have found an agreeable date but they can travel and afford to play all over the country?
What is the TRUE reason for this and which school is behind it? I'm sure we all think we know why. but what is the true reason .
0 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Re: PC game cancelled - WHY???

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

SmartyBarrett » 5 hours ago

Also, the Big East is going to play some conference games in December, and seems to be prioritizing those games more than non-league games.

Big east takes care of their own and unfortunately screw everybody else!!
1 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

The true reason to it is simple -- Both schools had prescheduled dates/arrangements (PC more) and could not find a common date to play on.

People need to stop acting like this is a non-COVID year and teams can easily find gaps on the schedule to fill.

Teams are not looking to play 3 games a week. Big East Teams have approximately a 3-4 week window to play OOC games that includes OOC Tournaments and conference arrangements (Big 12/Gavitt Games) if both conferences can agree on windows. That doesn't account for travel back and forth, increased testing protocols, or games that URI has prescheduled (Mohegan, etc.).

Conferences have looked at extended windows to play and not allowed to fill "conference" dates with OOC games because they want flexibility in case conference games need to be moved around for any reason.

That type of scheduling makes sense, it's not a normal year and to pretend a team can play 2 games a week every week during conference play is lunacy.
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

CHICO 78 wrote: 3 years ago SmartyBarrett » 5 hours ago

Also, the Big East is going to play some conference games in December, and seems to be prioritizing those games more than non-league games.

To be clear, I don't fault PC or the Big East for this at all. RJ touched on it above... there's a smaller window this season so they can't play every game. They had to prioritize, and they chose conference games to be at the top of their list. Given the expected strength of the conference, it makes sense.
1 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Makhi Mitchell calling out PC in his instagram story for "ducking" the game. I'm sure Cox has been transparent with the team about the challenges of scheduling the game, but likely hinted at the fact PC was the one that was being less flexible in making it happen.

Are there challenges in scheduling the game? Absolutely. Are those challenges impossible to overcome? I don't think so.

It's a shame the game isn't played and I don't think URI availability, or lack thereof, is the reason the game isn't happening.
7 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

If fans and players were top priority, they’d play the game (assuming games are being played).

My guess is PC didn’t want to lose its turn in the rotation as the home team without fans. And, escalated from there.
0 x
79RhodyFan
Steve Chubin

Unread post by 79RhodyFan »

I can't believe that this game couldn't be scheduled. The schools are 30 minutes from each other. These are the games that should be scheduled, no travel, and no hotels are needed. Theses are the safest games for the players.

The fans of both schools are the losers here. The fan bases should put pressure on both schools to get it done and find a way to play this game.
2 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

We got our waviers and Fatts back. Smart move by PC. Clearly our guys wanted this game.
6 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Smelling a smelly smell

Smells like chicken

Cluck cluck

Alumni Hall any afternoon, we got busses ready to roll.
4 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Damn sucks that this rivalry game is cancelled this year
0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

I think Ed is hoping a .500 record in the BE will be his ticket in. He thinks his SoS is strong enough just from conference games.
He does not want to risk an OOC loss. This just shows he really does not believe in his team.
2 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

This stinks of PC being afraid.

Big Ed doesn't want to risk the OOC loss. He's afraid we beat them and then with a strong A10, there are 4-5 teams that get in and that takes away bids from BE and probably Providence.
4 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......hey Gina should promote it as part of her take-it-outside, be creative program and play it under a tent, with heaters, maybe at the Boon St. Court......?
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

3 x
GO RAMS
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

section(105) wrote: 3 years ago .......hey Gina should promote it as part of her take-it-outside, be creative program and play it under a tent, with heaters, maybe at the Boon St. Court......?
Clearly when I first heard this earlier today my first thought was "what about Boon St.?" :lol: :lol:
2 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

Hey guys, I totally understand PC and the Big East's approach. It's a lot safer to fly to Creighton and stay in the midwest where the virus is not taken as seriously, than stay literally in your backyard to play a school from down the street.
8 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

We know they've been looking for a convenient excuse for ditching this game for years. Now they have one.

All the more reason that, should the series resume, we need to beat their brains in year in and year out.
3 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
79RhodyFan
Steve Chubin

Unread post by 79RhodyFan »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 3 years ago We know they've been looking for a convenient excuse for ditching this game for years. Now they have one.

All the more reason that, should the series resume, we need to beat their brains in year in and year out.
I just hope the local media starts pushing for this game to be played. I am sure PC doesn't want a public relations black eye over not playing the game. Lets try and keep the cancelation of this game in the news and hopefully someone in the media jumps on it.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

rhodyruckus wrote: 3 years ago Hey guys, I totally understand PC and the Big East's approach. It's a lot safer to fly to Creighton and stay in the midwest where the virus is not taken as seriously, than stay literally in your backyard to play a school from down the street.
This is just a stupid comment, in so many ways.

Obviously, playing local, safer than not playing local.

But PC does not report to itself, it ultimately reports to the Big East.

The Big East are looking to start conference play in mid-December.

They have said no OOC games during conference slate, to maximize flexibility if games are postponed for any reason.

So that gives PC approximately a window of Nov 25 and Dec 5 - Dec 12 to play 2-3 OOC games, as "Maui" ends Dec 2nd, but also need to figure out windows for Gavitt Games/Big 12 challenge games if possible (conference obligations take precedence over local rivalries).

Doesn't leave many open windows. The extended conference window is pretty smart. Conferences expecting to play 18+ conference games in the same 10-11 week window are pretty stupid if you ask me.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago The true reason to it is simple -- Both schools had prescheduled dates/arrangements (PC more) and could not find a common date to play on.

People need to stop acting like this is a non-COVID year and teams can easily find gaps on the schedule to fill.

Teams are not looking to play 3 games a week. Big East Teams have approximately a 3-4 week window to play OOC games that includes OOC Tournaments and conference arrangements (Big 12/Gavitt Games) if both conferences can agree on windows. That doesn't account for travel back and forth, increased testing protocols, or games that URI has prescheduled (Mohegan, etc.).

Conferences have looked at extended windows to play and not allowed to fill "conference" dates with OOC games because they want flexibility in case conference games need to be moved around for any reason.

That type of scheduling makes sense, it's not a normal year and to pretend a team can play 2 games a week every week during conference play is lunacy.
RJ - I actually get a lot of the reasoning. However, you can’t tell me there isn’t a date that could be scheduled and then cancelled if the conference games need to be rescheduled due to Covid concerns. I think that satisfies everyone but the BE admins are a-holes who really don’t understand that while their league is really strong it no longer has any really marketable rivalries. Maybe they do understand and that’s why UConn is back, but I don’t see that really getting the juices flowing for the conference as a whole.
2 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago
rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago The true reason to it is simple -- Both schools had prescheduled dates/arrangements (PC more) and could not find a common date to play on.

RJ - I actually get a lot of the reasoning. However, you can’t tell me there isn’t a date that could be scheduled and then cancelled if the conference games need to be rescheduled due to Covid concerns. I think that satisfies everyone but the BE admins are a-holes who really don’t understand that while their league is really strong it no longer has any really marketable rivalries. Maybe they do understand and that’s why UConn is back, but I don’t see that really getting the juices flowing for the conference as a whole.
Everything I've read from all conferences is that when conference play starts, the windows are locked in for conference play and that they won't be allowing teams to fill scheduling holes. I haven't seen anything contrary yet, although I haven't seen that reported in an official capacity either.

In reality, I think that is likely a better approach than saying "PC/URI to be played on January 16th unless COVID affects either team prior than the game is cancelled." Not just that, but every game is a risk for potential COVID exposure. Adding OOC games during conference windows only increases that risk.
1 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Yet somehow the games versus Big East members Marquette and Seton Hall are still as of today on Rhody's schedule.
2 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

RF1 wrote: 3 years ago

Yet somehow the games versus Big East members Marquette and Seton Hall are still as of today on Rhody's schedule.
At least compare apples to apples.

Marquette is playing in the same tournament. It's slightly different.

Seton Hall is a better comp, but very possible they aren't playing in an OOC tournament (because again, appears most NY/NJ teams are dropping out of OOC Tournaments held in Florida due to quarantine rules), and had a bye year in the Gavitt Games, making their schedule less restrictive than say PC who has one 3 game tournament + 2 challenges still lined up if all play.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

URI2006_Andy wrote: 3 years ago If fans and players were top priority, they’d play the game (assuming games are being played).

My guess is PC didn’t want to lose its turn in the rotation as the home team without fans. And, escalated from there.
Your guess is incorrect.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rj, it isn’t as simple as you are saying. Ed Cooley doesn’t want this game. If he could get away with canceling this series he would. The P5+BE want to eliminate as many OOC games against other conferences as they can. That is their strategy to get more at-large bids for their teams with .500 conference records. They are going to 20 game conf schedule and adding several challenge series against other P5 conferences. Suppress all other conferences to hurt their chances for a bid. Cooley doesn’t even see it as a rivalry. The game is much more difficult than the strength of schedule benefit for PC.
4 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Rhody83 wrote: 3 years ago rj, it isn’t as simple as you are saying. Ed Cooley doesn’t want this game. If he could get away with canceling this series he would. The P5+BE want to eliminate as many OOC games against other conferences as they can. That is their strategy to get more at-large bids for their teams with .500 conference records. They are going to 20 game conf schedule and adding several challenge series against other P5 conferences. Suppress all other conferences to hurt their chances for a bid. Cooley doesn’t even see it as a rivalry. The game is much more difficult than the strength of schedule benefit for PC.
As I put on the other board, PC may have 6-7 OOC games because of COVID. 4-5 of those are pre-scheduled through tournament or conference agreement, and are all tough games.

I’ll buy that they weren’t eager to fill holes because they have a tough OOC and play in a tough conference and wanted a few cupcakes to get their feet wet, especially with 3 transfers and 2 freshmen coming in. Expecting the team to play 24-25 Q1/Q2 games out of 27 is a little extreme.

I’ll even buy that they didn’t want to lose the home game for a glorified “home” game.

But what I don’t believe is that Cooley is looking to bail on the series. If Cooley wanted to cancel URI he would have done it already. He had every excuse when he started at PC and URI sucked the last year or Baron and first few years of Hurley. He could have punted like he did with BC/UMASS and said “They suck, we are all set.”
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Long time PC fans would be embarrassed if their coach cancel the state rivalry game. If you think the PC/URI games is similar to the PC/UMass game or the PC/BC game, you are clueless.

Eventually the older PC fans will pass and Ed will be able to waffle on the state rivalry series. Ed cares about one thing - making the NCAA Tournament. The risk/reward of playing URI every year (especially a road game) is a negative in his Tournament chances.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

This tweet says it all...

8 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhody83 wrote: 3 years ago Long time PC fans would be embarrassed if their coach cancel the state rivalry game. If you think the PC/URI games is similar to the PC/UMass game or the PC/BC game, you are clueless.

Eventually the older PC fans will pass and Ed will be able to waffle on the state rivalry series. Ed cares about one thing - making the NCAA Tournament. The risk/reward of playing URI every year (especially a road game) is a negative in his Tournament chances.
True but the dude has to win games eventually. Since 2001, the friars are 1-7 in NCAAT games.
3 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago This tweet says it all...

I'm happy Cox said this.

I say that because I didn't like the joint statement from Driscoll and Thorr. Why would you come out with a joint statement? The message that sends is that we mutually tried to make the game happen, but it didn't work for either side. That is clearly not the case here.

They are our biggest rivals and you agree to a joint statement when it was them that did not want to play this game? Why help PC "look good" with a joint statement attempting to downplay the fact they don't want to play us. Take this chance to stick it to them and make them look weak! Aren't we supposed to be competing for the fans in this state and their $$$$.

I've never liked the buddy-buddy relationship between the administrations. I get it... you are colleagues, mutual respect, bla bla bla.. I still don't have to like it, as a fan. :)
3 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Why would PC want to risk getting waxed in an empty gym?
I completely understand why they bailed on this game. No Benjamin’s from a sold out arena?

No thanks they said.

Just browsed the PC hoops forum and most of their posters are taking the high road on this. Real fans need hoop enemies.

I’m also wondering if we’re just really gonna roll over and not demand a home game next December.

Waiting for Mitchell family reaction.

:)
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

hrstrat57 wrote: 3 years ago Why would PC want to risk getting waxed in an empty gym?
I completely understand why they bailed on this game. No Benjamin’s from a sold out arena?

No thanks they said.

Just browsed the PC hoops forum and most of their posters are taking the high road on this. Real fans need hoop enemies.

I’m also wondering if we’re just really gonna roll over and not demand a home game next December.

Waiting for Mitchell family reaction.

:)
Mama Mitchell is all over it on Twitter. She’s hilarious.
4 x
Slava Ukraini!
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Rhody83 wrote: 3 years ago Long time PC fans would be embarrassed if their coach cancel the state rivalry game. If you think the PC/URI games is similar to the PC/UMass game or the PC/BC game, you are clueless.
My point was that when Cooley first took over, URI sucked. If he wanted to get out of the series, he could have attempted it with a “They suck and provide no value” type commentary. Not saying people would buy that, just saying he could have tried to take that route. If he didn’t cancel the series when they sucked and maybe he had that excuse, he’s not going to cancel the series when they are good and he has no excuses.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I am glad Cox said that , I like him more and more every day

As far as Big Ed cancelling the series I don’t think it would ever fly in a normal year. The rivalry is too big for the state regardless of what Cools thinks
0 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago
rhodyruckus wrote: 3 years ago Hey guys, I totally understand PC and the Big East's approach. It's a lot safer to fly to Creighton and stay in the midwest where the virus is not taken as seriously, than stay literally in your backyard to play a school from down the street.
This is just a stupid comment, in so many ways.

Obviously, playing local, safer than not playing local.

But PC does not report to itself, it ultimately reports to the Big East.

The Big East are looking to start conference play in mid-December.

They have said no OOC games during conference slate, to maximize flexibility if games are postponed for any reason.

So that gives PC approximately a window of Nov 25 and Dec 5 - Dec 12 to play 2-3 OOC games, as "Maui" ends Dec 2nd, but also need to figure out windows for Gavitt Games/Big 12 challenge games if possible (conference obligations take precedence over local rivalries).

Doesn't leave many open windows. The extended conference window is pretty smart. Conferences expecting to play 18+ conference games in the same 10-11 week window are pretty stupid if you ask me.
Stupid comment? I included the Big East in my blame pie above. If you want to alleviate all of PC's responsibility in the mid-December start without any other games allowed then fine. All I know is I have seen a lot of important OOC games scheduled during conference seasons before, hell Duke always plays one in MSG deep into the league calendar, and a lot of the Big 5 Philly games occur in January. Point being that if PC really wanted to play the game they could take it up with the conference and figure out a window. But Cooley and the athletic department really didn't care about it enough. I won't go as far to say as "they scared", but it is a disservice to fans of both teams.
4 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

COVID year, all normalcy out the window. Only cash matters, they made a business decision. We roll on.
2 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

My point was that when Cooley first took over, URI sucked. If he wanted to get out of the series, he could have attempted it with a “They suck and provide no value” type commentary. Not saying people would buy that, just saying he could have tried to take that route. If he didn’t cancel the series when they sucked and maybe he had that excuse, he’s not going to cancel the series when they are good and he has no excuses.
Cooley would have had to have brass ones when he took over to try that. The man had no pull to do that when he got hired. Talk about skating outside your lane.
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

We are who we are. A program that is unwilling to invest when the iron is hot but use the spoils to invest in other athletic programs. JD, JB, Cox @$720K.yr, asst coach salaries, practice facility, etc. We've had our chances to double down on success, will we the next time?
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

JimSidd wrote: 3 years ago
Cooley would have had to have brass ones when he took over to try that. The man had no pull to do that when he got hired. Talk about skating outside your lane.
When he got hired -- sure. By year 3 (2013-2014), he had PC in the tournament while URI was on it's 3rd straight losing season.

URI was on an upward trajectory by that point despite the losing season, but that's the time I say that if he really wanted to get rid of the series, he pushes for it then and tries to justify it as "We are a tournament team looking to build a tournament schedule and this team has sucked the last several years and provides no benefit to our postseason aspirations," or something along those lines.

Now URI is a perennial top A10 team/postseason contender, I don't think he has eyes to get rid of the series. He knows it's a solid game on the schedule every year and in a normal year, that's a good thing. This season as I've said elsewhere if the real reason is SOS, I don't have a problem with them trying to find a few softballs as their schedule with the abbreviated OOC will be far tougher than URI's or most other teams in the country between Maui, at TCU (Big 12 challenge), potential Gavitt Games, and 20 Big East games.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

JimSidd wrote: 3 years ago
Exactly. Cooley had no clout. He also was looking for any win he could get particularly one that would excite the PC fan base.

If you are making all scheduling decisions based on putting PC in the best position to make the Tournament (which Cooley is), do you want a home & away series at a ruckus RC or a home game every year against a top mid-major (maybe with a neutral site game every few years)?

The level of difficulty of the URI game for PC doesn’t match the credit they get in the at-large selection evaluation.

PC fans expect to win against URI every year. There is no benefit for Cooley. If they lose, he gets heat from fans. If they win, they were suppose to beat the lowly Rams.

There was a date agreed upon this last week for the game and then PC backed out.
3 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Saw Andy Katz comment on the absurdity of this easy bus trip game not being played. It really is just absurd.

This isn’t just about the non-conference schedule because it is still really strong without PC. It’s about people telling us that travel is so dangerous for 7 months and then avoiding a game that requires virtually no travel.
3 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Cooley is a blowhard. Where has he been? By the way: FTF.
3 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago We are who we are. A program that is unwilling to invest when the iron is hot but use the spoils to invest in other athletic programs. JD, JB, Cox @$720K.yr, asst coach salaries, practice facility, etc. We've had our chances to double down on success, will we the next time?
Relevant as always. Keep that streak going!
5 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

There is absolutely no justification for cancelling this rivalry game and any attempt to do so is absurd.
6 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago We are who we are. A program that is unwilling to invest when the iron is hot but use the spoils to invest in other athletic programs. JD, JB, Cox @$720K.yr, asst coach salaries, practice facility, etc. We've had our chances to double down on success, will we the next time?
Who we are right now is a D1 basketball team with P5 size and talent and a high quality coaching staff.

Think big.
5 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago Saw Andy Katz comment on the absurdity of this easy bus trip game not being played. It really is just absurd.

This isn’t just about the non-conference schedule because it is still really strong without PC. It’s about people telling us that travel is so dangerous for 7 months and then avoiding a game that requires virtually no travel.
And sure enough the same insecure PC tweeters are jumping in on Katz's tweet, saying why would PC want to play a JV league team etc. etc.
6 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

hrstrat57 wrote: 3 years ago ..
Who we are right now is a D1 basketball team with P5 size and talent and a high quality coaching staff.

Think big.
Act Big!
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Just when I thought I couldn't possibly like Coach Cox any more than I already do ... :P
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

rhodyruckus wrote: 3 years ago
rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago Saw Andy Katz comment on the absurdity of this easy bus trip game not being played. It really is just absurd.

And sure enough the same insecure PC tweeters are jumping in on Katz's tweet, saying why would PC want to play a JV league team etc. etc.
Bush league we ain’t no JV league we will be top 4 A10
1 x