The State ="stepping up"

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
Brian Forster
ARD

The State ="stepping up"

Unread post by Brian Forster »

https://www.providencejournal.com/news/ ... erm=082520

Compounding the problem, Gov. Gina Raimondo “scooped” money from the public colleges’ budgets and back-filled with federal relief aid. However, the federal money is earmarked for virus-related expenses, such as sanitizing buildings and protective equipment.

Will this impact funding of D1 hockey for Rams?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: The State ="stepping up"

Unread post by TruePoint »

“Will fighting a global pandemic interfere with my personal fantasy of D1 hockey?”
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Brian Forster wrote: 3 years ago https://www.providencejournal.com/news/ ... erm=082520

Compounding the problem, Gov. Gina Raimondo “scooped” money from the public colleges’ budgets and back-filled with federal relief aid. However, the federal money is earmarked for virus-related expenses, such as sanitizing buildings and protective equipment.

Will this impact funding of D1 hockey for Rams?
Intentional or not, this might be one of the funniest things I've read in a long time.
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Mikaila Arthur, chairman of RIC’s sociology department, said that since the Great Recession, states have chosen to “disinvest” in public colleges and universities and have asked students to take on a larger share of the cost.

disinvest=degrade,deemphasize
URI will never see that $$ again
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I’m with you that the disinvesting in public education is horrifying and as good of a sign as any that we are a society in decline. Making it about hockey is very questionable to me, though. Also, the very, very short list of things I would prioritize over public education from a budgetary standpoint does include public health, so pitting education against the pandemic response in the battle over resources is not a very effective rhetorical move IMO.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

TruePoint wrote: 3 years ago I’m with you that the disinvesting in public education is horrifying and as good of a sign as any that we are a society in decline. Making it about hockey is very questionable to me, though. Also, the very, very short list of things I would prioritize over public education from a budgetary standpoint does include public health, so pitting education against the pandemic response in the battle over resources is not a very effective rhetorical move IMO.
Given his usual posting modus operandi, I kind of just assumed that this was just some weird way to shit on hockey fans while extolling the virtues of those awesome football boosters.
3 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

SGreenwell wrote: 3 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 3 years ago I’m with you that the disinvesting in public education is horrifying and as good of a sign as any that we are a society in decline. Making it about hockey is very questionable to me, though. Also, the very, very short list of things I would prioritize over public education from a budgetary standpoint does include public health, so pitting education against the pandemic response in the battle over resources is not a very effective rhetorical move IMO.
Given his usual posting modus operandi, I kind of just assumed that this was just some weird way to shit on hockey fans while extolling the virtues of those awesome football boosters.
Exactly. There was no mention of hockey at all, it was just a clown poster being a clown poster.
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

He did mention hockey, though. Maybe I missed the joke, but he literally closes with “Will this impact the finding of D1 hockey?”
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

TruePoint wrote: 3 years ago He did mention hockey, though. Maybe I missed the joke, but he literally closes with “Will this impact the finding of D1 hockey?”
There was no mention of hockey in the article he posted
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Oh, right. Obviously. I was not confused about that. I was only responding to the post here.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

well what about RIC d3 hockey plans then Gina? Varsity hockey at RIC but not URI.

Think big...

let's charge RIC to play at Boss and give the dough to football team, that'll work.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Brian Forster
ARD

Hrstat-gets it somewhat. It's the states job to generate revenue and just give it to the schools.
URI generates their own revenue and the state siphons it.
When there was a surplus-did the state ever give an increase?
Protestors are right,we need education reform. This is business as usual.
The state will most likely not pay it back under any circumstances.
Many people associate URI with the state and see it as a symbol of waste because of bleep like this.
1 x