No football this fall

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: No football this fall

Unread post by TruePoint »

Nice.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Big kid !!
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

I have to say I've been semi-absent from KB lately over this summer. I was taking care of some things this morning and was driving in Wakefield and said to myself, wow, this is weird, we're in late August. Typically, we are hearing updates on the pre season for the football team. It's such an odd feeling knowing that we're not going to be sitting at Meade Stadium this fall. I will say I am fortunate I went to all of the night homegames last season. Everything that we used to do almost seems like a distant memory at this point.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Bos8 wrote: 3 years ago Just saw on twitter we landed a commitment from a QB named Jackson Burkhalter. He is spending a prep year at Worchester Academy, and had offers from Ole Miss and Nebraska.
I'm hearing rumblings about another QB coming here. Supposedly they started games in a Power 5 conference
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

0 x
GO RAMS
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago
Bos8 wrote: 3 years ago Just saw on twitter we landed a commitment from a QB named Jackson Burkhalter. He is spending a prep year at Worchester Academy, and had offers from Ole Miss and Nebraska.
I'm hearing rumblings about another QB coming here. Supposedly they started games in a Power 5 conference
Confirmed

https://gorhody.com/sports/football/ros ... -hill/5886

Kasim is a redshirt junior who played in 3 games and had 2 starts for Maryland in 2017 and started the first 10 games for Maryland in 2018. He transferred to Tennessee and worked on the scout team last year. He was a consensus 4 star recruit coming out of high school, ranked 93rd in his class by Rivals and had offers from Michigan, Michigan State, and Penn State. It looks like he graduated high school with our wide receiver Ed Lee
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... -tennessee

Maryland quarterback Kasim Hill is transferring to Tennessee as a walk-on, a UT spokesperson confirmed Thursday.
Hill, a former four-star recruit in the 2017 class, played in 13 games in two seasons at Maryland. Both his freshman and sophomore seasons were cut short by knee injuries.Hill opted to transfer in the spring. He likely will have to sit out the season at Tennessee as a transfer. He has two seasons of eligibility remaining.
The 6-foot-2 Hill started 10 games for Maryland in 2018. He completed 84 of 170 passes for 1,083 yards and nine touchdowns. His season ended in the second quarter of Maryland's 34-32 loss to Indiana in November when he tore the ACL in his left knee.Hill suffered a torn right ACL three games into his freshman season. He threw for 230 yards and two touchdowns before the injury ended his season.

Article says Hill went to St Johns HS in Tennessee, but he actually went to St Johns College HS in Washington DC, same as David Cox, Jeff Dowtin, Leggett........

https://247sports.com/college/tennessee ... 150143052/

https://allfortennessee.com/2020/08/10/ ... nsferring/
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Unread post by Brian Forster »

Kid has confidence. To go from schollie @ UMD to walk on at Tenn. with knee injury will be challenging.
Most would take the schollie assuming Rhody offered him one.
0 x
R.Kelly150
Kenny Green

Unread post by R.Kelly150 »

Boy both BB and FB seems like Rhody is a second destination school. In the past that was considered a “insult” moving forward it seems like a blessing!
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I expect big things next time the Rams take the field.
0 x
GO RAMS
Brian Forster
ARD

Boy both BB and FB seems like Rhody is a second destination school. In the past that was considered a “insult” moving forward it seems like a blessing!
Rhody has a lot to sell.
Don't ever believe for a second,that good and great players are not interested in the school.
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

I expect big things next time the Rams take the field.
Helluva a thing to say but a delay in playing may help the Rams.
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

I just realized that if these were normal times, Rhody would be flying out today for its game at Northern Illinois tomorrow.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Perrantes is gone. Looked forward to seeing him get his chance. I think it was academic related.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 3 years ago Perrantes is gone. Looked forward to seeing him get his chance. I think it was academic related.
I agree, I was also looking forward to watching him play. Between the kid from Liberty (Robinson), the kid from Maryland (Hill) and Grant coming back, it seems like it could be a tight competition when they actually take the field. Add into the younger guys like the kid from California (Haywood), eventually the kid who had the Nebraska/Ole Miss offer... I think we can be hopeful QB becomes a position of strength.
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Perrantes had his chance vs. Merrimack and was in over his head.
Hill from MD. went to Tenn.?
Grant dropped to 3rd or 4th string last year (way behind the others).
He has not gotten any better at Rhody. Take a miracle to get above 3rd or 4th string this year.
Best shots are kids from Liberty,Ca. and Bama.
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

I dunno. The kid from Maryland showed flashes. Looked real good as a true freshman against Texas. Followed it up the next year and beat them again. Absolutely dominated Towson. I think you have more insider knowledge then I do, but definitely worth a look.

https://www.newportri.com/sports/202009 ... uth-to-uri
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

But I thought the kid from Md. wound up going to Tenn.?

Maryland quarterback Kasim Hill is transferring to Tennessee as a walk-on, a UT spokesperson confirmed Thursday.

The kid from Tiverton might have had a chance,but slots look they are filling up fast.
I would suggest the QB from NK (Osmanski) try out.

https://playeroftheyear.gatorade.com/wi ... nski/37515
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Brian Forster wrote: 3 years ago But I thought the kid from Md. wound up going to Tenn.?

The kid from Tiverton might have had a chance,but slots look they are filling up fast.
I would suggest the QB from NK (Osmanski) try out.

https://playeroftheyear.gatorade.com/wi ... nski/37515
No. Hill transferred from Maryland to Tennessee but then he transferred to URI. He is on the 2020 URI Roster. Likely starter at QB for Rhody if his knees are healthy.

https://gorhody.com/sports/football/ros ... -hill/5886
1 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Wow-great. Little confusing. Thanks for clarifying on Hill.
He will push some guys further down the depth chart.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Awesome! Glad to see Kasim sign with Rhody!

He had no chance with the Vols, but played decent with Maryland.

1000% better than Vito. Not as strong a arm as Lawson though I don't think.
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Sure Peter. URI running game was las in CAA with 91 yds. per game. What was supposed to be a strength,turned into a liability.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Brian Forster wrote: 3 years ago Sure Peter. URI running game was las in CAA with 91 yds. per game. What was supposed to be a strength,turned into a liability.
Vito threw up a bunch of lame ducks. Running game shouldn't have mattered that much because he had two NFL players out there.

Would have helped if they had a better running game. No excuse for that with a veteran front including an NFL guy and a CFL guy.
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Pete-let's agree to disagree on Vito-OK?
With Vito and Perrantes gone-I think Coach Fleming caught a huge break with this season's postponement?

Agreed?

Anyone else?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Brian Forster wrote: 3 years ago Pete-let's agree to disagree on Vito-OK?
With Vito and Perrantes gone-I think Coach Fleming caught a huge break with this season's postponement?

Agreed?

Anyone else?
Agreed.
Let the new recruits from last year and from this year gain more experience. This would have been a tough year.
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Agreed?

Anyone else?
I really wasn't impressed at all by Vito. Not trying to down the kid at all. He seemed like a tough kid, a really solid leader, and really competed. I was just never impressed with his play. He struggled to make simple passes, often times relying on the ability of his receivers to bail him out. I was looking forward to seeing how he would do at AP, but unfortunately he's their third string QB. Like I said, he seemed like he was a solid decision maker and a tough kid, but I feel like we would have been better off with someone who had the arm ability of someone like Tyler Harris.

The fact that they considered going with a true freshman should have set off some red flags. It is crazy how much of a revolving door the QB position over the last 10 years since Probst and Paul-Etiene. Beyond Lawson, there hasn't been much.
Bentsen seemed serviceable. I was excited for Mack Lowrie but he fizzled. Kolt Peavey came in with the press clippings, and like Edourd was a drop down who didn't pan out. Speaking of drop downs, Harris seemed ok, but was beaten out by Lawson once he got on the field. Wes Mckoy was a decent athlete. Jordan Vazzano, Paul Mroz, Caparell, Fenyak among others who fizzled out for various reasons.
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Vito is not 3rd string @ AP.
He opted out and is getting his Masters this year as they were only playing a couple of buy games.
unlike the other QB's he actually went up a level.
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Glad to hear it all worked out. Like I said, I don't want it to sound like I ripping the kid, especially because you appear to have a personal connection. I am hoping him moving on will work out great for both parties. We are undoubtedly more talented at the position, and hopefully he gets a master's degree paid for. With what his family has done for our program, they certainly deserve our appreciation.

I was sent this preview. Lets be serious, he wasn't beating out Oatsvall. Williams was going to be ahead of him as well.
https://letsgopeay.com/news/2020/8/22/f ... backs.aspx
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Vito's leaving and Perrantes bombing out are reflections of the overall situation. Regardless of personal likes and dislikes.
I am not the only booster who feels this way.
People talk like this is Oklahoma where every year a Heisman candidate is transferring in.
I can't remember when in first year (with no sitting out) a QB came in here and did well?
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Brian Forster wrote: 3 years ago Vito's leaving and Perrantes bombing out are reflections of the overall situation. Regardless of personal likes and dislikes.
I am not the only booster who feels this way.
People talk like this is Oklahoma where every year a Heisman candidate is transferring in.
I can't remember when in first year (with no sitting out) a QB came in here and did well?
Who fits that mold and started year one? Again going back, I think Probst was successful right away, Paul-Etitene was successful and Lawson were also successful their first year here. Harris was meh. Lowrie didn't work out. Mroz didn't either. Peavey and Edourd didn't really workout as drop downs as they never got their chance. Didn't Cassidy start some games his first year here? Jayson Davis? Not too many guys come in right away and start, with the exception being transfers. Not all of that comes under Fleming.

I'm not arguing the overall situation. I would agree, the fact that Vito started at QB last year was very problematic. I was disappointed to see that someone else (beyond Perrantes) was brought in to play Quarterback. You had the most talented group of weapons at the offensive skilled positions since the mid-80's, and you go 2-10? And sticking with Vito as long as he did was a mistake as well.

With that said, I feel talentwise the program is trending in the right direction. I was (foolishly?) optimistic about the season, as I always am. I was looking forward to spending my money and supporting the team, and am ready for them to take the field again whenever it is safe.
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Lawson didn't do anything his first year.
Probst bombed his 2nd,
Bos-I agree on the talent increase -waaay up.
But game day has been a coaching nightmare.

The coaching will have to improve greatly.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Agreed?

Anyone else?
For me it's entirely dependent on if Kasim Hill will still play two seasons here. He's a difference maker the likes we haven't seen since the 80's
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Brian Forster wrote: 3 years ago Vito is not 3rd string @ AP.
He opted out and is getting his Masters this year as they were only playing a couple of buy games.
unlike the other QB's he actually went up a level.
How is the Ohio Valley Conference a step up from the CAA?
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Austin Peay went 11-4 last season and won 2 playoff games ??
Vito had FBS interest until COVID hit.
CAA is best league in country,but the situation at AP (if one takes a scoreboard into effect) is vastly different than Rhody.
Look at Boyd,Catalina and Steinmetz. All bettered themselves,with exception of Scott none distinguished themselves at Rhody.
Rhody gets QBs dropping from FBS down.
Hill might be a guy who can break through (one would think). These assumptions generally do not apply to Rhody FB. Look at Haskins,Mastrole-but again I would blame the coaching.
Again,there is plenty of time and talent @ Rhody right now to prepare.
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

https://www.providencejournal.com/sport ... uth-to-uri

Here is a kid climbing the ladder to play at Rhody.
Think a QB from Tiverton can make it there?
There have been very few RI HS QBs even to start a game at FCS/1AA level.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

What sucks is watching college football on tv and then realizing that URI isn’t playing.
0 x
GO RAMS
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago What sucks is watching college football on tv and then realizing that URI isn’t playing.
What sucks is seeing Big Ten football leave that much cash on the table...probably more cumulative cash than a lot of countries' GDP...and then trying to imagine how on earth there could be D1 hoops....
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago What sucks is watching college football on tv and then realizing that URI isn’t playing.
What sucks is seeing Big Ten football leave that much cash on the table...probably more cumulative cash than a lot of countries' GDP...and then trying to imagine how on earth there could be D1 hoops....
All of the Big10 Athletic Directors and Coaches wanted Football, it was the Presidents that voted it down except for Presidents at Iowa, Ohio State and Nebraska.

Will be a tough for Big10 fans watching NFL and College Games being played this weekend plus High School Football in 38 States.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Athletic directors and coaches don’t care about anything but dollars and wins. Presidents and chancellors have to be concerned with their universities writ large.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 3 years ago Athletic directors and coaches don’t care about anything but dollars and wins. Presidents and chancellors have to be concerned with their universities writ large.
The majority of P5 School Presidents and Chancellors chose to play football. The minority of P5 School Presidents chose not to play football.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 3 years ago Athletic directors and coaches don’t care about anything but dollars and wins. Presidents and chancellors have to be concerned with their universities writ large.
I think ADs and coaches take it seriously. If players/staff/fans get sick, its their ass, not the Presidents.
0 x
GO RAMS
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago
I think ADs and coaches take it seriously. If players/staff/fans get sick, its their ass, not the Presidents.
The presidents would take a hit, too, if this happened. The buck stops at the top, as it should.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

JimSidd wrote: 3 years ago
The presidents would take a hit, too, if this happened. The buck stops at the top, as it should.
So why did Presidents of schools in the SEC, ACC, Big 12, AAC, Conference USA and Sunbelt take the risk? The majority of FBS Presidents chose to play if the buck stops at the top? What’s different for the PAC 12, Big 10, Mountain West and the MAC?
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago

So why did Presidents of schools in the SEC, ACC, Big 12, AAC, Conference USA and Sunbelt take the risk? The majority of FBS Presidents chose to play if the buck stops at the top? What’s different for the PAC 12, Big 10, Mountain West and the MAC?
They assessed the risk (at least I hope so) and felt it was ok to proceed, given the information provided. I’m not saying they shouldn’t have gone forward with the decision to play. I’m just stating that, fair or not, they will face criticism if things don’t go well.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

They assessed the risk (at least I hope so) and felt it was ok to proceed, given the information provided. I’m not saying they shouldn’t have gone forward with the decision to play. I’m just stating that, fair or not, they will face criticism if things don’t go well.
Sure,
And the Presidents who chose not to play will face criticism as well. The lawsuits filed by the 8 Nebraska players will be closely watched.
38 states are playing High School Football, NFL is playing too. Players who want to opt out are free to do so at all levels.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

I think there are also a lot of politics at play as well:

1) Football is a crucial aspect in many southern/midwestern cities/towns.
2) Many southern states are heavy Republican or Republican-leaning.
3) Many Republicans think COVID response has been an overreaction and it's not as big of a deal.

I believe the SEC/Big 12 are basically all played in Republican states or Republican-leaning, whereas the Pac-12 is played mostly in democrat or democrat-leaning states.

ACC/Big Ten are closer to the middle, although I'd argue the ACC leans more right than the Big Ten from a political/geographical standpoint.

Politics absolutely plays a major part in how intense, or dismissive, people would choose to take reports.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago I think there are also a lot of politics at play as well:

3) Many Republicans think COVID response has been an overreaction and it's not as big of a deal.

I believe the SEC/Big 12 are basically all played in Republican states or Republican-leaning, whereas the Pac-12 is played mostly in democrat or democrat-leaning states.

ACC/Big Ten are closer to the middle, although I'd argue the ACC leans more right than the Big Ten from a political/geographical standpoint.

Politics absolutely plays a major part in how intense, or dismissive, people would choose to take reports.
No way am I discussing politics

None
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago I think there are also a lot of politics at play as well:

No way am I discussing politics

None
Not a problem...unless you show any kind of conservative/right lean. Then it'll need to be shut down pronto.
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

It looks like it is more fact vs fiction that determines when the moderator's step in. Not which way you're leaning/falling over.
1 x