No football this fall

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

No football this fall

Unread post by Rhody74 »

0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: No football this fall

Unread post by ramster »

This is the basketball section.

At any rate some additional footbal info:

0 x
RI_Rams
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RI_Rams »

I don't understand. If schools are trying to play conference games only..how will scheduling independent work???
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Why can’t the CAA do conference only?
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago Why can’t the CAA do conference only?
It's an opportunity to not lose more money.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Can't be sued by players/families who get sick due to being forced to play?
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

This will be the first time in forever that we didn't have a losing year.
3 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 3 years ago This will be the first time in forever that we didn't have a losing year.
Yeah right,

Not since 2018 when we went 6-5
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 3 years ago This will be the first time in forever that we didn't have a losing year.
Better yet - UNDEFEATED!!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 3 years ago
Better yet - UNDEFEATED!!
Why is this thread in the NCAA or Bust Basketball Section?

Are we next to discuss dropping the Football Program to give more money to Basketball?
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Unread post by Brian Forster »

Unread post by ramster » 2 hours ago

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: ↑2 hours ago
This will be the first time in forever that we didn't have a losing year.
Yeah right,

Ol' Red is pre-occupied with the success of his D1 hockey team fund raiser.
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I mistakenly put it on the wrong section. The mods will have to move it. My bad.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago
Yeah right,

Sorry — must have forgotten about that one in the decades of losing.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Brian Forster
ARD

Sure Red-first -it was "I don't know when the last time Rhody had a winning season in FB"
Now it is " I forgot"

Both are code for "I don't know what I am talking about"

Go start a club hockey section and stay over there.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Relax ramster, No football this fall is a relative discussion to whether there will be winter basketball played and it probably should be discussed in this section of the forum.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Please Red's right, 2018 basically doesn't even count, we can't even catch lightning in a bottle right, Lawson goes down and we go from ranked to non-playoff contender in two weeks.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Red, shame on you. How could you forget URI's first winning football season in a decade? It was an unforgettable 6-5 campaign. If we were an FBS program, that would have gotten us a bowl invitation. Boosters came out of hiding, funded a turf field and lighting. Thor announced how we had turned the corner. It was the once in a lifetime equivalent of basketball making the Elite 8.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody74 wrote: 3 years ago I mistakenly put it on the wrong section. The mods will have to move it. My bad.
No problem. Just that I can see the football hating crowd getting back on the let's drop football wagon. Best to keep URI Football and URI Basketball separate. Not too many here that like both teams.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Running Ram wrote: 3 years ago Relax ramster, No football this fall is a relative discussion to whether there will be winter basketball played and it probably should be discussed in this section of the forum.
You could argue that, just that whenever URI Football is brought up on the URI Basketball Board it tends to be in a very negative way. Time will tell in this thread.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago Red, shame on you. How could you forget URI's first winning football season in a decade? It was an unforgettable 6-5 campaign. If we were an FBS program, that would have gotten us a bowl invitation. Boosters came out of hiding, funded a turf field and lighting. Thor announced how we had turned the corner. It was the once in a lifetime equivalent of basketball making the Elite 8.
So first time in forever we didn't have a losing season to insult the football program gets corrected, that's all. It was only 1 winning season, but it's still worth correcting, no?

We went 6-5 and 4-4 in the CAA.

The Maine Game was lost on the Coaching staff, not on the Players. UCONN was a well played game
Winning at Delaware was a huge upset
We demolished Brown
Played tough at Elon and at James Madison.
If we had beaten Maine we would have gone to the FCS Tournament

New Lights. New Turf.

At least 3 players from that team who could be playing in the NFL this season.

8/30/2018 at Delaware W 21-19
9/8/2018 vs UALBANY W 45-26
9/15/2018 at UConn L 49-56
9/28/2018 at Harvard W 23-16
10/6/2018 vs Brown W 48-0
10/13/2018 vs Maine L 36-38 4-2
10/20/2018 at Stony Brook L 14-52
10/27/2018 vs William & Mary W 21-10
11/3/2018 at Elon L 21-24
11/10/2018 at James Madison L 31-48
11/17/2018 vs New Hampshire W 24-21
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Looking forward to seeing some of the new talent coming in on the 2020 Football Team

URI Ranked 2nd in Recruiting by 247 Sports behind Villanova

4 of our 2020 recruits are ranked in the Top 6 All Time Recruits since 247 Sports began tracking.

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Footb ... erence=CAA
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody74 wrote: 3 years ago I mistakenly put it on the wrong section. The mods will have to move it. My bad.
No problem. Just that I can see the football hating crowd getting back on the let's drop football wagon. Best to keep URI Football and URI Basketball separate. Not too many here that like both teams.
I like 'em all...looking like maybe we get to see them all in the spring at the same time....
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

What will be different in the Spring?
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago Red, shame on you. How could you forget URI's first winning football season in a decade? It was an unforgettable 6-5 campaign. If we were an FBS program, that would have gotten us a bowl invitation. Boosters came out of hiding, funded a turf field and lighting. Thor announced how we had turned the corner. It was the once in a lifetime equivalent of basketball making the Elite 8.
So first time in forever we didn't have a losing season to insult the football program gets corrected, that's all. It was only 1 winning season, but it's still worth correcting, no?

The Maine Game was lost on the Coaching staff, not on the Players. UCONN was a well played game
We demolished Brown

New Lights. New Turf.

Yes, 2018 was a pretty good season. I’ll never forget that Maine game ending. Thirty yards of unsportsmanlike conduct penalties against Maine after the Rhody TD to take the lead with a little over a minute remaining and Fleming doesn’t call for an onside kick. Not even a squib kick to try and pin them inside the ten yard line. Instead, he had the kicker boot it out of the end zone. Then the defense gets not one but two too many men on the field penalties on that last Maine drive for the winning field goal. We were all stunned as we exited. A huge parent weekend crowd, too.
That said, I believe Rhody would have won had Lawson quarterbacked that day. I don’t think it would have been that close late, and I agree that win would have given Rhody a playoff berth.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Yea if Lawson doesn’t go down, we grab another 2-3 wins easy. That was a great season. Meade was slamming at home games too.
0 x
GO RAMS
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

As I recall, Rhody really laid the wood to Albany that year. I think Albany scored a couple of late TDs to make the score somewhat respectable. My daughters were sophomores that year and one was sitting with us. I remember her turning to me at one point near halftime and stating “Wait .... are we good?”. 😁
She had heard the stories about the utility of Rhody football in the past 30 years or so, with some of that information coming from me.
1 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Even my Mother who is 83 (we support both hoops and FB) says "it's a lot of the same people",meaning boosters who actually donate and go to the games.
Ramster-your point is "people on this board'=those who don't go to games or donate. Would challenge any one to name ten or so basketball only boosters.
1 x
RI_Rams
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RI_Rams »

I don't see URI football going away. All it would take is a few winning years and the fans would be back. Heck, make the playoffs and there might have it.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

RI_Rams wrote: 3 years ago I don't see URI football going away. All it would take is a few winning years and the fans would be back. Heck, make the playoffs and there might have it.
I guarantee if URI Football put out a good product it would be hard to get tickets to the games, dilapidated stands and all. Those of us who have been casual fans or fans in theory just because it is URI would be thrilled to come out for games, were we to expect a decent product. Speaking for myself I like to follow the team no matter what, listen to or watch games when I can, but only venture to a game if I am fairly sure I'm going to see a Ram's team that is fun to watch.
As bad as they were last year, they were easier to watch than most other recent years, considering the big play threat they had in their wide-outs. I'm sorry there isn't going to be a football season this year, I usually pay attention to the preseason hub-bub and then give the team a chance to draw me in with an early win or two. I'll miss that.
Hopefully we see BB this year, I hate being doomy, but I have a sinking feeling we really aren't going to have much of a BB season either. A big part of the puzzle is, we have evolved into such a litigious society people are frozen with liability fears.
2 x
Go Rhody!!!
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

If football didn't have such a strong external constituency, it would have been dropped long ago. That constituency is dying off faster than it is being refreshed. The hand writing is on the wall.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
RI_Rams
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RI_Rams »

i'm with both of you guys. A little winning goes a long way. It draws attention. It brings the belief and hope back, which equals butts in the seats. We lost a lot of close games too... I think 3 or 4 were one score or less than 10 points. Despite 2-10, that does not tell the whole story. We were competitive in a lot of games.
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

If football didn't have such a strong external constituency, it would have been dropped long ago. That constituency is dying off faster than it is being refreshed. The hand writing is on the wall.

FB is still getting six figure donations from relatively new people and we can't get this board to come up with a dime for the other sports.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

We demolished Brown

New Lights. New Turf.

Let's be honest. This program has accomplished basically nothing for decades and has been off the map to both URI fans and anyone else that follows football.
0 x
RI_Rams
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RI_Rams »

Brian Forster wrote: 3 years ago If football didn't have such a strong external constituency, it would have been dropped long ago. That constituency is dying off faster than it is being refreshed. The hand writing is on the wall.

FB is still getting six figure donations from relatively new people and we can't get this board to come up with a dime for the other sports.
If I lived in RI and attended the games, I'd give money for sure. I'm actually looking to move to RI. Where I am now, I pay attention to the other sports at the local FCS university. I had season volleyball tickets last year, went to every match, and give just to that program. Do you know any of the volleyball insiders at URI?
0 x
Smokinjimit
ARD

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

My guess is there won’t be a basketball season either.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago If football didn't have such a strong external constituency, it would have been dropped long ago. That constituency is dying off faster than it is being refreshed. The hand writing is on the wall.
The $4,000,000 spent for lights and turf don't seem to support your "handwriting is on the wall" statement. Biggest contributors ever to the URI Football Program.

James Clappin is from the Class of 1980.

Gifts such as these can become contagious.

URI has the 2nd ranked incoming recruiting class for football. We play in the toughest league in FCS. Plenty of room for improvement but hardly see a drop the football program mentality at URI.

“I am excited for what this project will mean for URI football and the University as a whole,” said James P. Clappin ’80, executive vice president of Corning Glass Technologies and one of the two alumni who made the gifts. “We have an opportunity to motivate today’s student-athletes and put URI on the map in a way that it hasn’t been previously. It was important for me to make this investment in the future of the program.”
The planned improvements will create possibilities for a variety of revenue-generating events, from athletic competitions to outdoor performances and music festivals.
“A revitalized Meade Stadium has great potential to take URI Athletics to a new level, while serving as a year-round, multi-purpose facility with additional benefits for our students and the broader community,” said URI President David M. Dooley. “It is inspiring to see our alumni play a leading role in this effort.”

https://today.uri.edu/news/alumni-commi ... e-stadium/
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Band-aids.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Pretty Expensive Band-aids for Alumni to be applying to the Football Program
Let the Band-aids keep coming.
1 x
Brian
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Brian »

My understanding from asking direct questions in the past is that there is no direct correlation between dropping football and (1) having a D1 hockey team or (2) increased funding for men's basketball. 

Nearly every post about football on this board cites lack of fan support and alumni donations, which completely disregards $3m of private funds for the "band-aid" to Meade Stadium and 8,000+ attendance at multiple home games last year. 

Does anyone who post regularly about dropping football actually attend games or donate to the program? If not, do you also complain about elected officials but not vote? As the old saying goes, if you're not part of the solution...

https://www.alumni.uri.edu/s/1638/02-al ... alcid=1011
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Keeping football is a no brainer. We were a few games over .500 and Meade was absolutely rockin. Build it and they came. Keep building it , and more will come.
1 x
GO RAMS
RI_Rams
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RI_Rams »

There is not a reason to eliminate football. Just because they struggle does not mean it is time to give up.
0 x
R.Kelly150
Kenny Green

Unread post by R.Kelly150 »

To me football at URI is like a bad band that only has its loyal followers, except if those loyal followers equal 8k on occasions why not keep moving forward with the program. Whether you like the results or not, football at URI is a tradition (first started in 1895) They should play win or lose, make money or not for as long as the University exists. Really in the end it’s only about money and really after all the BS COVID 19 cost us why worry about the money when it’s basically never been a money generator for 130 years, yet it’s brought happiness, excitement and a sense of accomplishment to so many player and fans .
3 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Just saw on twitter we landed a commitment from a QB named Jackson Burkhalter. He is spending a prep year at Worchester Academy, and had offers from Ole Miss and Nebraska.
2 x
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

R.Kelly150 wrote: 3 years ago To me football at URI is like a bad band that only has its loyal followers, except if those loyal followers equal 8k on occasions why not keep moving forward with the program. Whether you like the results or not, football at URI is a tradition (first started in 1895) They should play win or lose, make money or not for as long as the University exists. Really in the end it’s only about money and really after all the BS COVID 19 cost us why worry about the money when it’s basically never been a money generator for 130 years, yet it’s brought happiness, excitement and a sense of accomplishment to so many player and fans .
"URI Football = Nickelback" makes more sense than literally anything else ever posted on this board. Godspeed to them.
1 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Worcester Academy is a top prep program and the pandhandle of Bama is loaded (where this QB cones from).
There is a lot of interest from top HS prospects in RI FB.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
ramster