No football this fall

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Re: No football this fall

Unread post by Bos8 »

Brian Forster wrote: 3 years ago Lawson didn't do anything his first year.
Probst bombed his 2nd,
Bos-I agree on the talent increase -waaay up.
But game day has been a coaching nightmare.

The coaching will have to improve greatly.
When you say gameday coaching, are you referencing play calling? I would have imagined we would have seen a pretty big difference this year with a new OC and DC.
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Unread post by Brian Forster »

Bos-agreed -one would think it would have to improve.
It just hasn't .
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RAM67 wrote: 3 years ago It looks like it is more fact vs fiction that determines when the moderator's step in. Not which way you're leaning/falling over.
So, I guess calling the POTUS an asshole falls under "fact"...got it. :roll:
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

I think the person that called him an asshole should be applauded, but no, it is not a provable fact. You got me there. I think he was probably referring to the thousands of lies told by the president, that are provable, that leads him to believe that he is in fact, an asshole.
2 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

It's crazy how it feels like everything on here turns into a political discussion. No offense to anyone here, but if I am looking to educate myself on a political topic, the last place I would turn is a post filled with people crazy enough to follow URI football!
3 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

My intent was not to make this thread political by any means. It was just to point out that political affiliation has a lot to do with shaping a person (or group of people's) beliefs, and since many Republicans have been less concerned with COVID and feel things should have opened faster, it only makes sense that colleges in red states would be more open to having college football games played, where Democratic states would be more conservative with their approach, which is an answer to Ramster's question on what certain conferences saw that others did not to make them want to take the risk. I don't think that is much of a political opinion, but rather a fact because it's the platform each party runs on.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

and for the record I refuse to discuss politics. I don't think politics has anything to do with the President and Chancellor Decisions to play or not play football for each individual school in the Big 10.
If that were the case then how does one explain the Big 10 Presidents and Chancellors changing their minds to allow football?

In FBS Football, Presidents of Universities decided to play in:
Big 12
ACC
SEC
AAC
Conference USA
Sunbelt
In FBS Football Presidents of Universities decided NOT to play in:
Big 10
Pac 10
Mountain West
Ivy League
MAC

All of FCS chose NOT to play - so political geography played no part

I see no way politics is involved in NCAA Football - no way these University Presidents are letting politics impact the futures of their Football and other Fall Athletes - I shudder to think the US Educational System has come to that...... and I refuse to discuss politics anyway since being chastised by the Keaney Blue boss when I wasn't even intending to be political (and I don't even know who I am voting for President yet - earliest I will know will be at the conclusion of the 3rd debate).
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago and for the record I refuse to discuss politics. I don't think politics has anything to do with the President and Chancellor Decisions to play or not play football for each individual school in the Big 10.
If that were the case then how does one explain the Big 10 Presidents and Chancellors changing their minds to allow football?

In FBS Football, Presidents of Universities decided to play in:
Big 12
ACC
SEC
AAC
Conference USA
Sunbelt
In FBS Football Presidents of Universities decided NOT to play in:
Big 10
Pac 10
Mountain West
Ivy League
MAC

All of FCS chose NOT to play - so political geography played no part

I see no way politics is involved in NCAA Football - no way these University Presidents are letting politics impact the futures of their Football and other Fall Athletes - I shudder to think the US Educational System has come to that...... and I refuse to discuss politics anyway since being chastised by the Keaney Blue boss when I wasn't even intending to be political (and I don't even know who I am voting for President yet - earliest I will know will be at the conclusion of the 3rd debate).
Right, NCAA f'ball is not influenced by politix, it's not about blue or red...it's all about the green.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

The color that matters most...$$$$$
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Would the CAA reconsider?
0 x
GO RAMS
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Probably unlikely.

The urgency for the Big Ten was that they were unable to convince enough conferences to not play and force a spring football season.

The College Football playoff was still set for December and if they wanted to be a part, they need to play games soon.

I believe the FCS had 8 conferences postpone to the Spring (CAA included) so the FCS playoff was postponed as more than 50% of member programs were no longer participating and most anticipate it being played in the spring.

The CAA could follow in the steps of other FCS conferences who have allowed member programs to make a decision to play OOC games in the fall and conference games in the spring, but it may be more challenging unless other conferences allowed for the same as open opponents are slim.

North Dakota will play one non-conference game to cap off the fall practice schedule, against Central Arkansas (https://gobison.com/news/2020/8/24/ndsu ... -2020.aspx). Chattanooga is doing the same when they go play Western Kentucky (https://gomocs.com/news/2020/8/24/mocs- ... ction.aspx).

I believe teams playing more active schedules (multiple games) include Central Arkansas, Austin Peay, Eastern Kentucky, Stephen F Austin, Houston Baptist, Campbell, Missouri St., Abeline Christian, Jacksonville St., Western Carolina, North Alabama, Mercer, and The Citadel.

Central Arkansas is an interesting case study, they lost a $425K buy game with Missouri, but replaced it with $450K in buy games against multiple opponents. They are almost playing a full fall schedule with 9 OOC games, and appears they would not play a spring conference schedule.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago Would the CAA reconsider?
It is possible the CAA could allow games to be played in the Fall if Schools so choose. New information just released in last few days regarding the Playoffs and Total Game limits for Spring and Fall for FCS Teams.

Things are moving quickly in FBS.
SEC, ACC, Big12, Sunbelt, AAC and Conference USA all-in. Big10 School Presidents/Chancellors revoted unanimously to play. Mountain West, MAC and Pac12 are all considering playing now.
Sunbelt has impressed, improving their conference reputation with 3 big upsets of Big12 teams: Louisiana Lafayette beat Iowa State, Coastal Carolina beat Kansas and Arkansas State beat Kansas State - all on the road.

Independents Army now ranked #22, Brigham Young now ranked #18 and Liberty are playing. Independent UMASS just decided to play. 1800 Covid Test for UMASS Football have only had 2 positive results.

FCS Teams playing games so far:
Big South: Campbell (2)
Missouri Valley: Missouri State (1)
Ohio Valley: Eastern Kentucky (2), Austin Peay (3)
Southern: The Citadel (2)
Southland: Central Arkansas (2), Abilene Christian (1), Houston Baptist (2), Stephen F Austin (2)

Last edited by ramster 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

I am very alarmed that our division can playoff for a national championship but the big money schools cannot
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

this is great news
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Ramulous wrote: 3 years ago I am very alarmed that our division can playoff for a national championship but the big money schools cannot
It's about money -- Bowl games, especially the better ones, offer $$$.

If you look at 2020 bowl game revenue for the SEC, P5 conferences make $66 million in base payout. They also received $6 million from LSU being in the college football playoff, $27.5 million from Florida being in the Orange Bowl, and $40 million for Georgia's appearance in the Sugar Bowl. Most of that money goes into the conference pool, which would leave the conference $131.20 million in bowl game disbursements ($9.37 million per team).

Putting a playoff in NCAA control gives more money to the NCAA and less money to the schools. It's the reason why LSU generates $6 million for a college football playoff appearance, but a contract bowl game like the Orange Bowl or Sugar Bowl generates $27.5 million or $40 million.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

RJ. Think of the money a 16 team playoff would generate. I would watch every game. I don’t watch any of the exhibition bowl games
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Ramulous wrote: 3 years ago RJ. Think of the money a 16 team playoff would generate. I would watch every game. I don’t watch any of the exhibition bowl games
I think the answer to your question would be that while a 16 team playoff would absolutely generate more money (estimates say an 8 team playoff would be worth approximately $1 billion per season), that money would all start under the NCAA umbrella, and get shared accordingly among members conferences. Conferences and member programs would lose monetary bargaining power they've gotten from being steady participants in specific bowl games (say the Rose Bowl paying participating conferences $40 million).

That can have an increasing trickle-down effect, as however the NCAA decides to disburse increased funds, Power 5 conferences would get a greater piece of the pie, maybe not as much as they would have independently gotten in bowl games. However, will it be similar? Will it replicate the fact that the SEC got huge dollars in Sugar Bowl and Orange Bowl funds, in addition to other bowl games they were receiving cuts from?

The other tie in is how that would impact existing regular season TV contracts. CBS would prepared to increase their contract for the "SEC Game of the Week" from $55 million to $300 million, an increase set for a few years from now. That is for 15-17 games per season. However that offer has lost to ESPN's offer thought to be in excess of $330 million. That is almost an extra $20 million per program per season. Getting an larger contract like that might make the SEC more willing to give the NCAA more monetary control, which will hurt other conferences.

The equity gap between the top conferences and the GO5 conferences will only continue to increase. Heck, that increase may seperate a top P5 conference (SEC) from a bottom P5 conference (P12). These are all variables that FCS teams/conferences do not have to think about.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Any idea what this is? Blue vs White game?
0 x
GO RAMS
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago Any idea what this is? Blue vs White game?
Maybe an announcement that they're back...
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I'm thinking six games in the spring
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhody123
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhody123 »

Might be an announcement that 10/1 is Rhody Day of Giving?
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

I'm guessing the complete official schedule drops tomorrow based on that teaser from earlier in the week.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Maybe we get some snow games. That would be sick.
0 x
GO RAMS
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Heard on news CAA planned 6 game season

Looks like Ram pigskin back on

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... ence-games
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

0 x
R.Kelly150
Kenny Green

Unread post by R.Kelly150 »

Is this really unexpected in this day and time. Work through it and get ready for “spring football”. I can’t wait to see a snow covered Meade.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

R.Kelly150 wrote: 3 years ago Is this really unexpected in this day and time. Work through it and get ready for “spring football”. I can’t wait to see a snow covered Meade.
Not unexpected at all.
Reporters Just love reporting bad news.
Fact is NFL and FBS Football are all doing better than most reporters believed 2 months ago.
Most thought when MAC, Big 10 and PAC 12 dropped fall football that all the rest would follow. Nope.
In fact, Big 10, PAC 12 and MAC have come back.

None of those negative Nancy reporters are to be found now, or admit that FBS is going to make it. Not without some challenges along the way, but make it they are. Some with 25k fans effectively spaced and managed.
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago
R.Kelly150 wrote: 3 years ago Is this really unexpected in this day and time. Work through it and get ready for “spring football”. I can’t wait to see a snow covered Meade.
Not unexpected at all.
Reporters Just love reporting bad news.
Fact is NFL and FBS Football are all doing better than most reporters believed 2 months ago.
Most thought when MAC, Big 10 and PAC 12 dropped fall football that all the rest would follow. Nope.
In fact, Big 10, PAC 12 and MAC have come back.

None of those negative Nancy reporters are to be found now, or admit that FBS is going to make it. Not without some challenges along the way, but make it they are. Some with 25k fans effectively spaced and managed.
He just reported what happened. Should he just bury the story and not report it?
He didn’t say this is terrible and the program should be shut down for the season.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

To me, it’s obviously important to report it, but the delivery has a BREAKING NEWS HOLY CRAP OMG YOU WONT BELIEVE THIS tone to it which isn’t necessary.
1 x
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago To me, it’s obviously important to report it, but the delivery has a BREAKING NEWS HOLY CRAP OMG YOU WONT BELIEVE THIS tone to it which isn’t necessary.
Exactly
Another piece of sky is falling
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago To me, it’s obviously important to report it, but the delivery has a BREAKING NEWS HOLY CRAP OMG YOU WONT BELIEVE THIS tone to it which isn’t necessary.
Exactly
Another piece of sky is falling
It’s all a matter of interpretation, I guess. While I have heard or read other Covid related stories that had that a bit of hysterical tone to them, I did not get that from this one.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Finally some positive news for Rhody football!
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I believe they're practicing again.
0 x
GO RAMS
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

In looking at the slate of games for today, I saw that Northern Illinois is 0-3 and has given up an average of 40 points. It made me wonder how Rhody would have faired in the opener that was cancelled.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

JimSidd wrote: 3 years ago In looking at the slate of games for today, I saw that Northern Illinois is 0-3 and has given up an average of 40 points. It made me wonder how Rhody would have faired in the opener that was cancelled.
At best they would have found an inexplicable way to lose.
2 x
PaulieMash
Abdul Fox

Unread post by PaulieMash »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago
JimSidd wrote: 3 years ago In looking at the slate of games for today, I saw that Northern Illinois is 0-3 and has given up an average of 40 points. It made me wonder how Rhody would have faired in the opener that was cancelled.
At best they would have found an inexplicable way to lose.
This is brilliant. Made me literally lol
1 x
Brian Forster
ARD

agreed. Wouldn't surprise me at all if they were competitive.
This team has not shown they are ready to win yet.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Anybody know anything about this QB we just landed from Alabama? Looks like he was recruited by some pretty impressive schools.

https://247sports.com/player/jackson-bu ... -46053096/

Last edited by Billyboy78 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

Just asking but.......
The video of him looked like an Adidas football combine.
We are an adidas school. In fact if you look at the schools that he was interested in all adidas schools.

Red flag?

If your that good, why URI and not the other schools?
Recruiting sure is funny.
If the kid pans out and plays well for URI then all’s good!!
0 x
R.Kelly150
Kenny Green

Unread post by R.Kelly150 »

Rhodysk wrote: 3 years ago Just asking but.......
The video of him looked like an Adidas football combine.
We are an adidas school. In fact if you look at the schools that he was interested in all adidas schools.

Red flag?

If your that good, why URI and not the other schools?
Recruiting sure is funny.
If the kid pans out and plays well for URI then all’s good!!
He was recruited, but not offered by all those schools, still the list of rival programs who offered puts him in rare company when compared to the programs who offered many other recruits. Size wise he seems seems a pocket passer style QB, hopefully he can sidestep and run alittle. Coach Fleming has put together an interesting list of recruits during his tenure at URI. Hopefully another one of these recruiting classes pay off with a wing season in the near future. Weird coincidence about the Adidas schools? or like you said maybe just promoting their own. Per gorhody.com there are six other QBs on URI roster of varying pedigrees, would you put a million on who plays?
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Is that Maryland transfer expected to start? Or this kid?
0 x
GO RAMS
Brian Forster
ARD

Bama alum told me Burkhalter was recruited by Tide and Auburn,but had injury that caused a hiccup in process.
very competitive level of HS football.
Would not read too much into the adidas camp thing,most (all) schools will not recruit a QB unless you go to a camp they are affiliated with -period.
Don't blame them,especially @ QB position.
I would think kids from Md and Liberty would be front runners. A frosh QB in CAA would be tough (most likely).
1 x
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

Good info.

I think you all would agree, getting tired of hearing how great of a recruiting class coach has brought in. The talent has definitely upgraded at Rhody but I think we all want to see WINS.
I remember times when you go to a Rhody game and just pray they be competitive. Last few seasons you go to a Rhody game thinking they have a shot, definitely not blown out.

Now more then ever they have to get WINS! Wins will help get funding for upgrades to the program.
Love the basketball program and all but Rhody football could get 15,000 to Meade almost double Ryan center. I’ve seen it happen. In the spirit of Christmas you have to BELIEVE
2 x
RIrugger01
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RIrugger01 »

Hopefully the new coaches that were brought in know how to make adjustments at halftime
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Bos8 wrote: 3 years ago
Brian Forster wrote: 3 years ago Vito's leaving and Perrantes bombing out are reflections of the overall situation. Regardless of personal likes and dislikes.
I am not the only booster who feels this way.
People talk like this is Oklahoma where every year a Heisman candidate is transferring in.
I can't remember when in first year (with no sitting out) a QB came in here and did well?
Who fits that mold and started year one? Again going back, I think Probst was successful right away, Paul-Etitene was successful and Lawson were also successful their first year here. Harris was meh. Lowrie didn't work out. Mroz didn't either. Peavey and Edourd didn't really workout as drop downs as they never got their chance. Didn't Cassidy start some games his first year here? Jayson Davis? Not too many guys come in right away and start, with the exception being transfers. Not all of that comes under Fleming.

I'm not arguing the overall situation. I would agree, the fact that Vito started at QB last year was very problematic. I was disappointed to see that someone else (beyond Perrantes) was brought in to play Quarterback. You had the most talented group of weapons at the offensive skilled positions since the mid-80's, and you go 2-10? And sticking with Vito as long as he did was a mistake as well.

With that said, I feel talentwise the program is trending in the right direction. I was (foolishly?) optimistic about the season, as I always am. I was looking forward to spending my money and supporting the team, and am ready for them to take the field again whenever it is safe.
Darius Perrantes is leaving the program

0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Brian Forster
ARD

surprised he waited so long to announce.
i dont think he had a choice.
he is D2QB
0 x
Rhody123
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhody123 »

I’m not sure I agree that he’s just D2 material. He may be D1. Kids need time to develope and URI is looking for a QB who can win now. With all the new QB’s coming in maybe he felt he was going to be boxed out of being able to compete for the starting job? Plus he’s a long way from home. I wish him well wherever he ends up.
0 x