'21 MD C - Abdou Samb (Rhode Island Commit)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

'21 MD C - Abdou Samb (Rhode Island Commit)

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

Abdou Samb - C
School: Frederick Douglass (MD)
Travel/AAU: DC Premier

Ht: 6'8"
Wt: 210

RANKINGS:
247 Sports: 3 Stars, 86 Grade, #59 PF

OFFERS:
Rhode Island*
East Carolina
George Mason
Kent State
Robert Morris
Towson

*Verbally Committed 9/11/20, Signed LOI 11/11/20

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/ ... amb-269369
https://247sports.com/player/abdou-samb-46102914/
http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/abdou-samb
https://www.prephoops.com/player/abdou-samb/
Last edited by URIRecruitingInfo 3 years ago, edited 7 times in total.
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Re: '21 MD C - Abdou Samb (Offer)

Unread post by JimSidd »

Let’s go RIU!!! 😂😂😂
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Is there a commitment coming?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Jeff Ermann from Inside MD Sports gives us 9 out of 10 prediction for committing to us, 247 sports (RI Insider) lists him as top target with us. He has excellent skills in the paint, very athletic, and a smooth shooting touch from outside. I had been impressed with him for awhile and hope he commits along with a PG.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago Jeff Ermann from Inside MD Sports gives us 9 out of 10 prediction for committing to us, 247 sports (RI Insider) lists him as top target with us. He has excellent skills in the paint, very athletic, and a smooth shooting touch from outside. I had been impressed with him for awhile and hope he commits along with a PG.
Incoming.....
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago Jeff Ermann from Inside MD Sports gives us 9 out of 10 prediction for committing to us, 247 sports (RI Insider) lists him as top target with us. He has excellent skills in the paint, very athletic, and a smooth shooting touch from outside. I had been impressed with him for awhile and hope he commits along with a PG.
Incoming.....
Meaning???
0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

I must have missed it when first posted, but that is a nice highlight video above.
An agile, shot blocking, run-the-floor big is always a welcome sight - and one with a high skill level too? Yes, please.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Is there a reason he hasn't been heavily recruited?
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago
Incoming.....
Meaning???
Use your imagination
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Haha. He does look skilled for a big man on the videos.

It is curious why he doesn't have many quality mid-major offers.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

CamsRams wrote: 3 years ago Haha. He does look skilled for a big man on the videos.

It is curious why he doesn't have many quality mid-major offers.
There's a good article that heavily features him here, and talks about the difficulty there is right now for prospects to get exposure.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Instead of wondering why he was under recruited, I prefer to be happy we nabbed him before he blew up. Kid averaged 16/12, and plays for one of the best AAU programs in the country.
1 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Fair enough and that yahoo article really brings it to life.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Are we expecting a verbal soon? Love to see this player become a Ram.
1 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

PrepHoops
Posted On: 09/3/20 3:15 PM

We are about to wrap up what has been the most unprecedented summer in AAU basketball history as COVID-19 prohibited any live evaluations periods to occur. Nevertheless, programs and facilities worked together in order to give players a platform as college coaches watched via live stream. Before May, it looked like the chances of having any basketball this summer were very slim, but fortunately that wasn’t the case and players were able to boost their stock along the way.

For this series, we’ll be taking a look at stock risers from the area in various classes.

Abdou Samb | 6’8 | Frederick Douglass/DC Premier

Samb was one of the biggest overall stock risers regardless of class in the area this spring/summer as his recruitment boomed. In the span of May-July, the 6-foot-8 forward picked up 10 of his 12 current offers. East Carolina, East Tennessee State, Elon, George Mason, Hampton, Kent State, Rhode Island, Robert Morris, Southeastern Lousiana and Towson were among the 10 schools with Mount St. Mary’s and Stony Brook rounding out the full 12. Samb plays with outstanding energy on both ends that translates in his big rebouding numbers. While he isn’t the most athletic prospect, Samb has great length to distort shots around the rim defensively. He scores with soft touch around the basket, knows how to use the backboard to his advantage and can even stretch the defense with his outside shot off the catch.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

CamsRams wrote: 3 years ago PrepHoops

We are about to wrap up what has been the most unprecedented summer in AAU basketball history as COVID-19 prohibited any live evaluations periods to occur. Nevertheless, programs and facilities worked together in order to give players a platform as college coaches watched via live stream. Before May, it looked like the chances of having any basketball this summer were very slim, but fortunately that wasn’t the case and players were able to boost their stock along the way.

For this series, we’ll be taking a look at stock risers from the area in various classes.

Samb was one of the biggest overall stock risers regardless of class in the area this spring/summer as his recruitment boomed. In the span of May-July, the 6-foot-8 forward picked up 10 of his 12 current offers. East Carolina, East Tennessee State, Elon, George Mason, Hampton, Kent State, Rhode Island, Robert Morris, Southeastern Lousiana and Towson were among the 10 schools with Mount St. Mary’s and Stony Brook rounding out the full 12. Samb plays with outstanding energy on both ends that translates in his big rebouding numbers. While he isn’t the most athletic prospect, Samb has great length to distort shots around the rim defensively. He scores with soft touch around the basket, knows how to use the backboard to his advantage and can even stretch the defense with his outside shot off the catch.
Staff caught him right on time.
1 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

PrepHoops
Posted On: 09/4/20 8:38 PM

SPRINGFIELD, VA — DC Premier and Team Richmond squared off in the 17U Showcase Game at the I95 Finale on Friday night. Premier took an early lead and did not look back as they won by a final score of 78-73. Here are five takeaways from this contest.

Big Game James Comes to Play

Right from the opening tip, James Gross Jr.
collected the ball and the needle with a solid bounce pass for an assist to an open teammate. That was the first of many positive plays he had in this game. Gross popped off for 15 points, 9 rebounds, and 3 assists while playing with controlled aggression for each minute he was on the court.

Samb’s Versatility Flourishes

Abdou Samb

Abdou Samb was a two-way impact player throughout this game. Before we move forward, let’s not forget to mention how vocal he was on the court. Samb was often heard communicating clearly to his teammates from the back-line. His mobility and help defense stood out as he was disruptive on every ball screen. Samb was also a forceful presence around the rim because of his shot-blocking prowess. As a bonus, he stepped out and did something we’ve seen him do before and hit a trey ball. Samb’s development is coming along nicely and it seems like his best playing days are ahead of him.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

CamsRams wrote: 3 years ago PrepHoops

Staff caught him right on time.
Cox et al seem to have a knack for doing that.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ProviPaul87
Jim Eitner

Unread post by ProviPaul87 »

Reminds me a little of a young Dorian Finney-Smith long wing with a pretty decent jumper who can get aggressive when he needs to. could probably make a living out of bball!
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

1 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Hope Rhody Island University folks are showing the love to Samb on the twitter and instagram with his announcement forthcoming
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Re: '21 MD C - Abdou Samb (Rhode Island Commit)

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Keep em comin Coach!
1 x
GO RAMS
rhodyblue12
ARD

The days of undersized lineups are over. I couldn't be happier. Welcome to Rhody, Abdou!
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow fantastic news great job staff !!
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

This is a great pickup and very nice to have a freshman big for 21' backing up the juniors and seniors. Samb was my favorite big that we were recruiting and I feel that he has a ton of upside , which is why I wasn't disappointed when Geeter didn't have us in his final list. Excellent job by our staff.
3 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

Hard to judge a recruit by highlight video's, versus watching a full game, but there is a lot to like in those videos. One thing that stood out to me is that he looks bigger than 6'8'' which is a rarity. Normally a guy listed as 6'8'' is like 6'6'' but he actually looks bigger than 6'8' to me. Man we will be a big team next year if the roster stays as is, 2 Mitchell Twins, Harris, Samb that is four big bodies for Center and Power Forward. Not to mention Walker but he is more a small forward to me. Even the small forwards have good size, Walker, Iyo-Faleye, Johnson, height wise at least.

And the guards will be good size, Betrand, Martin, Berry. And Carey and Legett are six two or so. Could be one of our biggest overall line ups that I can remember. Looks like a good signing.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I think this a good risk/reward pickup for us. It is hard for us to sell playing time to recruits now. A kid like Jeeter wants lots of minutes. I think Abdou is going to need time to grow into his persona. It is a luxury for us to be able to take a chance on him.
2 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Having an actual DC Premier pipeline is just insane.

It's hard to believe there is so much talent in Kingston right now.
3 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Very pleased to hear this! Hope he stays committed to Rhody! He seems like a player with good talent & a soft offensive touch on the ball. I saw some really nice floaters go in the basket, while he was drifting to the side. It's not as easy to do as he made it look...especially from a guy that is 6'8". I loved watching the blocked shots in the video and quick spin move near the baseline.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
Rhody19/21
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Rhody19/21 »

Does this mean we have 1 scholarship spot left (assuming no changes 😅) for 21?
1 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

“Abdou is someone who is 6-foot-8 and he keeps on growing,” Handon told 247Sports. “I think he has a very high ceiling and that his best basketball is ahead of him.”
Handon continued, “He’ll bring incredible energy, toughness, and defense to the court immediately, and then I think his offensive game will continue to grow as he gets into college.”

“There is no doubt in my mind that he was definitely under recruited,” said Handon. “East Carolina came on very strong lately, but a lot of credit has to go to David Cox. Abdou has a great relationship with Dave and his staff, and that played a huge part in him committing to them.”
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

0 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Welcome to the Rhody family Abdou!
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Cox is a recruiting superstar! And Rhody MBB is still on the rise if he has his way. Obviously every recruit is an individual so take this next statement for what it's worth, but, with the exception of Harris, this is exactly the type of PF recruit we would have lost to the "P5/6" crowd as we've seen in the past when their recruiting blows up. The fact that Samb must have been receiving advice to field more offers, yet still chose to commit now to Rhody is most significant. The team is (unbelievably) currently stocked with PF/C's of formidable size, I had assumed we would have had a tough time bringing in a quality 21' PF this fall, figured we would be looking to a spring signing. Samb must realize he's joining a solid frontcourt, which all indicates he believes in himself and in Coach Cox. Looks like a great commitment to me! Go Rhody!!
4 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

In my simplistic view I think taking a DC area prospect from Mason is significant.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Nice article on Samb by Finkelstein, thanks for posting. Our staff has done an excellent job in solidifying our frontcourt for the next several years.
2 x
Ramrod
Kenny Green

Unread post by Ramrod »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago
This video makes we want to go "Wooooo!" Just kidding, I recommend watching without the sound.

Kid reminds me of an adolescent deer that hasn't quite grown into his adult body yet. Long legs and arms. I hope that means a couple more inches in height. 6'10 with his skill set and motor would be a problem in the A10. Welcome to the Ram family Abdou!
0 x
Ramrod
Kenny Green

Unread post by Ramrod »

Ramrod wrote: 3 years ago This video makes we want to go "Wooooo!" Just kidding, I recommend watching without the sound.

Kid reminds me of an adolescent deer that hasn't quite grown into his adult body yet. Long legs and arms. I hope that means a couple more inches in height. 6'10 with his skill set and motor would be a problem in the A10. Welcome to the Ram family Abdou!
Things that make me go Woooo:
Jump shot out of 3 point range
Face-up drives and spin moves in the lane
Back to the basket post up moves, drop steps and dunks
Strong finishes in transition
Good hands and patience down low
Great timing on blocked shots
Rim protection
Smooth floaters in the lane
0 x
Rhody78
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhody78 »

Let me tell you who his game reminds me of obi toppin what does everyone else think?!
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody78 wrote: 3 years ago Let me tell you who his game reminds me of obi toppin what does everyone else think?!

I was thinking the same thing, but we probably should slow down on the lemonade
0 x