'21 IN SF - Christopher Mantis (Appalachian State)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

'21 IN SF - Christopher Mantis (Appalachian State)

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

Christopher Mantis - SF
School: Lowell
Travel/AAU:

Ht: 6'6"
Wt: 175

RANKINGS:
Rivals: NR
247 Sports: 3 Stars, 85 Grade, #51 SF

OFFERS:
Rhode Island
Ball State
Florida International
Milwaukee
Toledo
Valparaiso

https://247sports.com/player/chris-mantis-46085553/
http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/christopher-mantis
Last edited by URIRecruitingInfo 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: '21 IN SF - Christopher Mantis (Offer)

Unread post by ramster »

Praying he signs
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago Praying he signs
Why?
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago
Why?
Praying Mantis
1 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

It looks like we offered teammates. Hopefully we get some early commitments this year.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Why?
Obviously DC didn't get the joke.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago
Why?
Obviously DC didn't get the joke.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Late to the party
2 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

I recognize that I know zero about the competition in his HS league, but this kid has some really intriguing numbers, averages and percentages. 41% three point shooter, 80% free throw, 1300 pts through his junior year, averaged 10 pts per game as a freshman playing varsity. His turn over numbers are increasing though, as his points increase, last year he averaged 24 pts per game 9 rb per game 3.5 assists per game and 3.2 to per game. Sophomore season he nearly averaged a double double at 19.4 pts/game and 9.7 rb/game. I mean, I'm intrigued.
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

same.

wise to get in on this kid when no one is recruiting him, perhaps it will help when the rush of teams come calling
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

Interesting that the high school website lists him as a point guard but the recruiting site lists him as a SF. Point forward? He's 6'6.

Kind of reminds of Ryan Daly of St Joes, but doesn't have a gut like Fred Flintstone .

Can put the ball in da basket though, that much is clear
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Running Ram wrote: 3 years ago I recognize that I know zero about the competition in his HS league, but this kid has some really intriguing numbers, averages and percentages. 41% three point shooter, 80% free throw, 1300 pts through his junior year, averaged 10 pts per game as a freshman playing varsity. His turn over numbers are increasing though, as his points increase, last year he averaged 24 pts per game 9 rb per game 3.5 assists per game and 3.2 to per game. Sophomore season he nearly averaged a double double at 19.4 pts/game and 9.7 rb/game. I mean, I'm intrigued.
Its pretty common that turnovers increase as PPG and FGA increase. As you become the focal point of an offense, defenses key in on you, and also, you just end up in more bad situations, too. Like, ball-in-hand with the shot clock running down and forced to take a shot, that kind of thing.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

SGreenwell wrote: 3 years ago
Running Ram wrote: 3 years ago I recognize that I know zero about the competition in his HS league, but this kid has some really intriguing numbers, averages and percentages. 41% three point shooter, 80% free throw, 1300 pts through his junior year, averaged 10 pts per game as a freshman playing varsity. His turn over numbers are increasing though, as his points increase, last year he averaged 24 pts per game 9 rb per game 3.5 assists per game and 3.2 to per game. Sophomore season he nearly averaged a double double at 19.4 pts/game and 9.7 rb/game. I mean, I'm intrigued.
Its pretty common that turnovers increase as PPG and FGA increase. As you become the focal point of an offense, defenses key in on you, and also, you just end up in more bad situations, too. Like, ball-in-hand with the shot clock running down and forced to take a shot, that kind of thing.
Also, my statement was slightly disingenuous or lazy at the least, I was fully aware when I wrote it that his minutes would have increased, likely he actually averaged less turnovers per minute as a junior than he did as a freshman. I just didn't want to sound like I was only pumping tires, so I pumped some brakes too. :)

really though, I don't want to pump brakes on this kid, from what I've seen and read I'm excited about getting in on this kid early, hope we stay in touch with him frequently.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
R.Kelly150
Kenny Green

Unread post by R.Kelly150 »

No reason to not get on this guy early. Show the love and have him fall for the program and the coach. Best chance to get a guy to stay for the whole 4 years in the current transfer climate. Love the size and the fact that we are rather thin at the position besides for Martin (listed as guard on GoRhody) and the mystery man DJ Johnson.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

We are not in his final six (based on the schools on the list, we probably backed off):

By JAKE LIEBERMAN
Christopher Mantis, the 6-foot-7 Class of 2021 small forward from Lowell (IN), is down to six programs.
Mantis is down to Valparaiso, Ball State, Drake, Appalachian State, Illinois-Chicago, and Purdue Fort-Wayne.
He broke down his top six with ZAGSBLOG.
Valparaiso: “I like them because I’ve been around them for so long and they deal with pros and have produced many pros. They also have a great play style as well.”
Ball State: “I like Ball State because they have a play style the fits with what I do best. They would allow me to score at all 3 levels. They also produce pros.”
Drake: “I like Drake because many guys from this region have come out of there and have had great careers during college. They didn’t disappoint the region.”
Appalachian State: “I like them because of the way they approach things. They play hard and they play well. Their relationship between each other is unmatched.”
Illinois-Chicago: “They have a unique style. They score off of their defense. Their defense leads to their offense, which makes them special.”
Purdue Fort-Wayne: “I like Purdue Fort-Wayne because they’re allowing me to be position less. I can play 1-4 there and they run great sets and play team defense. Also, they produce pros.”
The teams that didn’t make Mantis’s list were Rhode Island, UC San Diego, Milwaukee, Florida International, and Toledo.
0 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Not exactly top tier schools on that list. How good was this kid? Based on his stats and his size, you’d think if he was a stud player he would’ve gotten major offers.
0 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers