2020 URI Volleyball

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
RI_Rams
Jeff Kent

2020 URI Volleyball

Unread post by RI_Rams »

Thread to discuss the 2020 volleyball season.

https://www.gorhody.com/sports/w-volley ... 0320mn12yn

"Angel Agu Joins Volleyball Staff as Assistant Coach
Courtesy: Wisconsin AthleticsCourtesy: Wisconsin Athletics
Posted: Mar 20, 2020
KINGSTON, R.I. – Rhode Island volleyball head coach Nicki Holmes has announced that Angel Agu will join him on the sidelines as an assistant coach for the Rams. Agu comes to Rhody after having spent the previous two seasons at Wisconsin, where she helped lead the Badgers to the 2019 NCAA Division I National Championship match.

"I am very excited for Angel to join our Rhody Volleyball family," Holmes said. "She has extensive experience, both within the A-10 as well as on a national scale, and has a very outstanding ability to connect with student-athletes. She will serve our student-athletes well as we strive to be great representatives of URI."

In addition to serving as a volunteer assistant coach for the Wisconsin team that advanced to this past season's national title game after winning the 2019 Big Ten championship, Agu also helped guide the Badgers to the Elite 8 in 2018. During her two years in Madison, the Badgers collected eight AVCA All-America awards while combining to go 52-14 with a 33-7 record in Big Ten play. Additionally, during that two-year span Wisconsin picked up 19 wins over nationally ranked teams and was 7-3 against top-5 programs.

Agu began her collegiate coaching career in the Atlantic 10, serving as a graduate assistant coach at La Salle. There, she helped lead the Explorers to the program's best single-season winning percentage in conference play since joining the A-10.

As a player, Agu had a successful five-year career at perennial A-10 power Dayton from 2011-15. The 6-2 middle blocker was a two-year team captain and four-time Atlantic 10 champion with the Flyers. She helped guide the team to four appearances in the NCAA tournament, where they advanced to the second round three times.

"I am beyond thrilled to join the Ram family," Agu said. "I would like to thank the athletic administration, and especially head coach Nicki Holmes for this incredible opportunity. Coach Holmes has a remarkable tenure coaching at the collegiate level and with USA Volleyball. I believe that his knowledge, leadership skills, and undeniable passion for the game will drive this program in becoming a force in the Atlantic 10 Conference."

Agu was a recipient of the 2015 Kacie Hausfield Teammate award for her leadership through example, commitment to the game, and support as a teammate for the Flyers. Additionally, she was a two-time nominee for the Northwestern Mutual Leadership Award.

"I was familiar with this area from having played here as a student-athlete," Agu added. "But seeing the campus and neighboring communities now, through the eyes of a coach, is completely different. This area is absolutely breathtaking, and I'm ready to hit the ground running and be a part of what makes this place so special.

A first generation U.S. citizen, Agu earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Psychology, with minors in Biology and Women Gender Studies, from the University of Dayton in 2016. Her parents are from Enugu State, Nigeria."
0 x
RI_Rams
Jeff Kent

Re: 2020 URI Volleyball

Unread post by RI_Rams »

Rhody Volleyball Earns 2019-20 USMC/AVCA Team Academic Award

https://gorhody.com/news/2020/7/20/wome ... award.aspx

"KINGSTON, R.I. - Rhode Island was one of 227 NCAA Division I women's volleyball programs to earn the USMC/AVCA Team Academic Award, announced Monday by the American Volleyball Coaches Association. To qualify for the USMC/AVCA Team Academic Award, a team must maintain a year-long grade-point average of 3.30 on a 4.0 scale or 4.10 on a 5.0 scale

During the spring semester alone, Rhody turned in a program record 3.82 team GPA, with six different players earning a perfect 4.0.

"Coaches have the most influence during difficult times," said AVCA Executive Director Kathy DeBoer. "Keeping student-athletes focused on their academic success when their volleyball identity was suddenly gone is leadership worth celebrating!"

The Rams were recognized alongside eight other Atlantic 10 programs for their academic success in 2019-20."
2 x