Players return to campus

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Players return to campus

Unread post by Rhody83 »

The players are returning to campus today. They are staying in the new dorm. Not sure where they will practice. My suggestion is the courts at Old Mountain Field. :D
7 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Re: Players return to campus

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Rhody83 wrote: 3 years ago The players are returning to campus today. They are staying in the new dorm. Not sure where they will practice. My suggestion is the courts at Old Mountain Field. :D
So many new guys they’ll need time just to get to know each other.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

Rhody83 wrote: 3 years ago The players are returning to campus today. They are staying in the new dorm. Not sure where they will practice. My suggestion is the courts at Old Mountain Field. :D
I can confirm, the new dorm is beautiful.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Everyone is on campus. Practice starts tomorrow.
4 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Rhody83 wrote: 3 years ago Everyone is on campus. Practice starts tomorrow.
Would love to be a fly on the wall. Is Ryan opening?
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

They are practicing on campus.
2 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

They must be so relieved to be back. I am so over this ish.
1 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

I don’t know about the rest of the players, but I have it on good authority that Fatts is still in Philadelphia as of this morning.
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

JimSidd wrote: 3 years ago I don’t know about the rest of the players, but I have it on good authority that Fatts is still in Philadelphia as of this morning.
IG tells it all...
Malik is staying with Hassan in Newport and working out with Cole Swider and Hass.
Fatts posted this morning from a gym in Philly.
The twins posted from the airport this morning, so they all must be heading to campus at various times this week.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Would have been silly in the past normal but light workouts at a controlled environment outdoor court makes perfect sense on a day like today. Get to know your new teammates, run thru some offensive sets and a bit of defense and just hangout together. Minimal covid19 worries and get some work accomplished. Just make sure nobody gets slammed to the tarmac...

Sadly I can’t think of a full basketball court on campus anymore but plenty in SK, Exeter and Narragansett.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 3 years ago
JimSidd wrote: 3 years ago I don’t know about the rest of the players, but I have it on good authority that Fatts is still in Philadelphia as of this morning.
IG tells it all...
Malik is staying with Hassan in Newport and working out with Cole Swider and Hass.
Fatts posted this morning from a gym in Philly.
The twins posted from the airport this morning, so they all must be heading to campus at various times this week.
The twins were here last night. The morning post must’ve been from a video/pic they took yesterday.

Leggett is arriving today.
Martin is practicing with the team.
Not sure when Fatts arrives.
Players practicing in Tootell this morning.
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

The team will be practicing the three fundamental of Rhody basketball for this season: defense, rebounding and passing the ball to Fatts.
2 x
NCAAs or Bust!
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago The team will be practicing the three fundamental of Rhody basketball for this season: defense, rebounding and passing the ball to Fatts.
they'll probably include Jimmy Baron's free throw fundamentals too, right 72?
1 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

wpbrown8267 wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago The team will be practicing the three fundamental of Rhody basketball for this season: defense, rebounding and passing the ball to Fatts.
All mocking of 72's past comments aside, "pass the ball to Fatts" actually sounds like a pretty decent offense to me...
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah can’t wait to see all the PPG predictions for Fatts this year
0 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

reef wrote: 3 years ago Yeah can’t wait to see all the PPG predictions for Fatts this year
28 ppg will be mine.
1 x
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

Malik Martin working out with a swider could benefit us in the long run. I could see Cole transferring next year if he doesn't have a good year or doesn't get any playing time.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

wpbrown8267 wrote: 3 years ago
They should - Jimmy was a consistent shooter because he had great fundamentals. Fatts is a good FT shooter - best on our team. Why would we want anyone else shooting FTs? Pass the ball to Fatts before you get fouled.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

hrstrat57 wrote: 3 years ago Would have been silly in the past normal but light workouts at a controlled environment outdoor court makes perfect sense on a day like today. Get to know your new teammates, run thru some offensive sets and a bit of defense and just hangout together. Minimal covid19 worries and get some work accomplished. Just make sure nobody gets slammed to the tarmac...

Sadly I can’t think of a full basketball court on campus anymore but plenty in SK, Exeter and Narragansett.
There's one in the Adams/Weldin Hall area
3 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago
hrstrat57 wrote: 3 years ago Would have been silly in the past normal but light workouts at a controlled environment outdoor court makes perfect sense on a day like today. Get to know your new teammates, run thru some offensive sets and a bit of defense and just hangout together. Minimal covid19 worries and get some work accomplished. Just make sure nobody gets slammed to the tarmac...

Thanks RR2. I live pretty much on campus my not knowing that is weak!

Perfect day for some outdoor Ram hoop practice!

Go Rhody!

Great job retooling Coach Cox and staff!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Looks like Betrand arrived today.
0 x
GansettSummer
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by GansettSummer »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago

There's also a full court in between the new Brookside dorm and Wiley and Heathman dorms.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Take the team to Boon Street. Beautiful area.
2 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Set up portable baskets on grass so they can learn to play without aimlessly dribbling the ball!
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago Set up portable baskets on grass so they can learn to play without aimlessly dribbling the ball!
Troll72 returns...
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago Set up portable baskets on grass so they can learn to play without aimlessly dribbling the ball!
.......funny, my CYO team did practice with a b-ball with little air so could not be dribbled.....did not work in teaching motion.......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

You can dribble on grass, it's just easier to defend and encourages passing. Reduced dribbling requires more movement/positioning by teammates without the ball. I'm suggesting that this be used at the start of practice season and when the coach detects too little movement and too much dribbling later in the season.
These two problems have become a trademark of URI Basketball.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago
Troll72 returns...
Then I'm a troll and a season ticket holder and donor for almost 60 years.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago
Troll72 returns...
Then I'm a troll and a season ticket holder and donor for almost 60 years.
Assuming you graduated in ‘72. You were a season ticket holder and donor in the early 1960s 🤔. You were 10-12 years old.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

A season ticket holder can be a troll. It’s a New England sports fan tradition actually for a certain generation of fan to be as cynical and antagonistic toward their team as humanly possible - I wouldn’t be surprised to learn there is actually a contest and they pick a winner.
6 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

While I agree that R72, can at times have some really bad takes, I don't think he's all that wrong about this one. Remember, Frank Keaney, abhored dribbling. He wanted crisp, line drive passes as the fastest and best way to move the ball. Dribbling as little as possible. It was essential to his fast break offense. The offense can become stagnant if there's a lot of standing around and dribbling.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

There's nothing inherently wrong in having a negative take about an aspect of the program, a game, or even a single play. The issue is when every single take is a negative take, you firmly plant yourself in the troll camp. Can anyone, without actually doing research (we're on the honor system), remember the last time R72 said ANYTHING positive about the program?
4 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

Looks like Tres is arriving today
1 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

I would LOVE nothing more than to see 72 and some of the other CYO alum lead a practice for our team. High comedy indeed. Even better, if it were possible and we could then teleport back to the beginning of the season so it never really happened, let them coach an entire season. They’d spend 80% of practice time shooting free throws, 10% dribbling on grass, and 10% perfecting the picket-fence inbound play...
3 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

sf2010 wrote: 3 years ago I would LOVE nothing more than to see 72 and some of the other CYO alum lead a practice for our team. High comedy indeed. Even better, if it were possible and we could then teleport back to the beginning of the season so it never really happened, let them coach an entire season. They’d spend 80% of practice time shooting free throws, 10% dribbling on grass, and 10% perfecting the picket-fence inbound play...
Don't forget Kevin McHale / Patrick Ewing / George Mikan post moves.
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

sf2010 wrote: 3 years ago I would LOVE nothing more than to see 72 and some of the other CYO alum lead a practice for our team. High comedy indeed. Even better, if it were possible and we could then teleport back to the beginning of the season so it never really happened, let them coach an entire season. They’d spend 80% of practice time shooting free throws, 10% dribbling on grass, and 10% perfecting the picket-fence inbound play...
Wow what a post. 10/10 right here. :lol: :lol:
1 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago You can dribble on grass, it's just easier to defend and encourages passing. Reduced dribbling requires more movement/positioning by teammates without the ball. I'm suggesting that this be used at the start of practice season and when the coach detects too little movement and too much dribbling later in the season.
These two problems have become a trademark of URI Basketball.
I'm going to suggest - bad ideer. Just don't and pray no one ever thinks about it ever. Then again, "everyone" reads the board, so maybe if Thorr or DC sees it...they might.

Probably wouldn't want to make the news because one of your basketball players got hurt and is out for the season after injuring himself...on the grass... because his teammates were dribbling too much...in November (or ever)......

Then again, you were probably being sarcastic the whole time and joke's on me.

On the other hand...are they going to wear sneakers? cleats? barefoot?
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

SGreenwell wrote: 3 years ago
Don't forget Kevin McHale / Patrick Ewing / George Mikan post moves.
..you had me at McHale...
3 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago ...
Definitely not cleats! I should never give advice again without realizing how it might be misused. Let's forget the grass and set up hoops at the beach, or in the shallow pool in Tootell. Anything to stop players from dribbling aimlessly while teammates are standing around. I enjoy watching the way Richmond and Davidson play basketball.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Definitely not cleats! I should never give advice again without realizing how it might be misused. Let's forget the grass and set up hoops at the beach, or in the shallow pool in Tootell. Anything to stop players from dribbling aimlessly while teammates are standing around. I enjoy watching the way Richmond and Davidson play basketball.
Dribbling aimlessly on a hardwood court...still seems waaaay safer :lol:
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago Take the team to Boon Street. Beautiful area.
Preston Murphy and some of the guys used to play there occasionally back in the day. When I was in high school, some of my class mates would talk about it (grew up in Narragansett).
2 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago Let's forget the grass and set up hoops at the beach
Yup this never ends badly. Ever. *cough* Robert Edwards *cough*
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Based on what I saw at the Pier earlier this week I don’t want our team anywhere near Boon St.

Nice facility but no...
0 x
ramsman75
Jeff Kent

Unread post by ramsman75 »

Hmmm ...... what else do Richmond and Davidson have in common? Just askin...
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

ramsman75 wrote: 3 years ago [

Great coaches!
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

RhodyKyle wrote: 3 years ago

The team should never practice, then no one would ever get hurt in practice.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

They shouldn't practice motion offense, which involves cutting and slashing, on a surface that shreds knee ligaments. Edwards effectively ended his career cutting and slashing in sand. Maybe they should practice basketball on a basketball court.
3 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

ramsman75 wrote: 3 years ago
More Davidson than Richmond IMHO. I think it is that they play a style that certain folks empathize with.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

They shouldn't practice motion offense, which involves cutting and slashing, on a surface that shreds knee ligaments. Edwards effectively ended his career cutting and slashing in sand. Maybe they should practice basketball on a basketball court.
Devil's advocate here, hear me out: Can't dribble into double teams if you can't dribble at all on the surface, and if you have to stand in place and throw chest passes that improves your passing skills. Think about it... :?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

That...is rad.
1 x