President Dooley to retire

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

President Dooley to retire

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Just got an email that Dooley is retiring in June 2021. Too bad we cannot clone a younger version of him. He’s been very good for URI.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
steviep123
Sly Williams

Re: President Dooley to retire

Unread post by steviep123 »

I was just about to post this. Here is the text of the letter:

A message from President David M. Dooley
To All Members of the University of Rhode Island Community
May 18, 2020

I am writing to share my intent to retire in June 2021. It is very difficult for me to express how much I have enjoyed and appreciated serving as your president for the past eleven years. No institution means, or has ever meant, more to me than the University of Rhode Island and its people. Inspirational, creative, caring, welcoming, thoughtful, wise - these are just a few of the words that come to mind when I contemplate the diverse and supportive community here. URI, as it stands today, is the consequence of your vision, your tireless efforts, your talents and abilities, and your collective commitment to one another and to the mission of the University.

The University of Rhode Island is a global, student-centered research university, simultaneously devoted to the success of its students and to the impact of its scholarship, research, and service. URI cherishes the values of equity, inclusion, and community. Consequently, it will be difficult to leave this special place, but I am convinced that the time is right for me to step down and for the University to seek a new president.

Over the next year I will focus on doing all that I can to help sustain the momentum and growth of URI. My efforts will include assisting our new Board of Trustees, working with the URI Foundation and Alumni Engagement to sustain the tremendous progress of our comprehensive campaign, and facilitating a smooth transition for the next president of the University of Rhode Island. But my primary focus will be to work with all of you to guide URI through the current challenges of a global pandemic.

No one knows how or when this crisis will end, but I believe that I know you – the URI community – reasonably well. Consequently, I am confident the University of Rhode Island will emerge stronger, more resilient, more innovative, and prepared to lead in a new era for higher education.

The following quote (taken from “The Adventure of the Norwood Builder,” by Arthur Conan Doyle) best captures my feelings at this moment: “The work is its own reward". The most rewarding time of my professional life has been that spent at the University of Rhode Island. Thank you for the opportunity to serve as your president.

I agree that we need the next Dooley. He has been the best university president in my lifetime.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Got it too. Koch tweeted about how it may effect the relationship with Thorr since the president and AD were close. Another wrench. Best wishes to Dooley.
0 x
GO RAMS
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

URI News

Unread post by DC_Rams »

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Also received the letter. Very well written as expected from Dr Dooley.
Good to know he will be here through June 2021 and help steer the University through the virus time period.

Wonderful President. Love the new construction that seems commonplace now at URI. Great job enhancing URI as a Research Institution. The accomplishments are so many. Donations way up.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Re: URI News

Unread post by section(105) »

......no secret here, I am a bigly Dr Dooley fan, I think my big shoes to fill comment in another thread is accurate, take a look at the before and after pictures of his years here, the contrast is amazing......I am a nobody in his circle, however he always gave me time to talk, lucky to have been invited to a few inside the lines events here and FL, always via the Alum Association.......even when we sorta disagreed about things like Down the Line housing......he would hear me out......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

WOW!!! One of, if not the best President this school has ever had. Stood up to the GA and got things done. Transformed URI Campus like no one before him. This is a major, major loss for URI. But I thank him for what he did. Great man for sure.
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I’m thankful that URI has its own Board of Trustees which will pick the next president.
2 x
Slava Ukraini!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......I gotta add, hope any type of search committee has as a priority an understanding of the relationship of a strong athletic program, basketball and other A-10 leaders, growing the URI brand globally in the necessary role of the next URI President.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
TrevlontRook3
Steve Chubin

Unread post by TrevlontRook3 »

Thor’s probably going with him, I know Umass has been hot for him and heard BC is also interested. Not good for the program going forward with Dooley checking out especially if Thor follows suit
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

TrevlontRook3 wrote: 3 years ago Thor’s probably going with him, I know Umass has been hot for him and heard BC is also interested. Not good for the program going forward with Dooley checking out especially if Thor follows suit
We all know that's it only a matter of time before Thorr moves on....and the same that Dooley would retire.

Thankfully having our own board of trustees make it more likely that good replacements will be hired.

Like was said, a president that supports athletics is VERY important.....Dooley was that, but maybe his successor will be even more supportive when it comes to improving the BB program.

I'm actually confident that will happen.

However, not so sure about the FB program. Thorr would never have cut it, but a new AD might feel differently. Hockey?
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

We’re really going down the “cut football, start up hockey” path again?

Never. Will. Happen. Nor should it.
4 x
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago Got it too. Koch tweeted about how it may effect the relationship with Thorr since the president and AD were close. Another wrench. Best wishes to Dooley.
Well yea of course it will affect the relationship, it’ll be a brand new person in charge.

Who knows, Thorr and this new person could end up having a better relationship.

Always two ways it could go.
0 x
Go Rhody
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Sad day for URI but Dr. Dooley deserves to step away if that’s what he wants to do. He’s done so much good for the university and I wish him a happy and healthy post-URI life.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

What weren’t you able to finish?
“We still don’t go to the NCAA Tournament often enough.

“The thing we need to continue to work on is growing and continuing our commitment to diversity. We are far from done there. It’s critical that our faculty become more diverse, especially our black and Latino faculty.”

https://www.providencejournal.com/news/ ... plishments
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

CamsRams wrote: 3 years ago What weren’t you able to finish?
“We still don’t go to the NCAA Tournament often enough.

“The thing we need to continue to work on is growing and continuing our commitment to diversity. We are far from done there. It’s critical that our faculty become more diverse, especially our black and Latino faculty.”

https://www.providencejournal.com/news/ ... plishments
I hope the next President has Dooley's passion for basketball.
2 x