KMac leaving the ProJo

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

KMac leaving the ProJo

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Is there a transfer portal for sportswriters ?

0 x
Slava Ukraini!
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Re: KMac leaving the ProJo

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

I outlived KMac at the Projo! This is a big milestone
3 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Not good. Obviously he covered PC, but he had a solid reputation in the business and was well respected. This also means they will probably be shifting resources, and could mean someone they have something along the lines of Bill Koch covering multiple teams. People complaining about a lack of coverage before will certainly not like to see that
3 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Koch May move over to the PC beat. Eric Rueb is full time now. Maybe he’ll do some college? I can’t imagine the cash-strapped Journal hiring a full time replacement at this time.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I wonder if it's a retirement, force out, or a lay off?

Very surprised with this one.
0 x
Go Rhody
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

30 years is a solid run, well played!
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago I wonder if it's a retirement, force out, or a lay off?

Very surprised with this one.
The way that is was worded, makes me think it was a lay off. "Welcome opportunity to explore"
I know that where I am, the local paper sport section laid two thirds of the sports section, and now has the remaining writers covering three people's beat.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

At the sports department at the ProJo, reporters are working limited hours and covering non-sports stories because of the pandemic. There few sports to cover now and prospects for the future are not good. KMac must have a better opportunity to leave in this environment.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

I have known Kevin since we were both 11 years old. Played CYO basketball against each other and became pretty good friends in our freshman and Sophomore years of HS. I really hope this was his decision. Really good person and a terrific College basketball guy even if we didn't always agree on his coverage of URI matters.
3 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Economy related imo. Not his choice.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

It's pretty bleak industry-wide at this point - I wouldn't trust anyone who attempts to speak confidently about where journalism will be in X years, and that was before the pandemic basically wiped out advertising revenue for the past couple of months. KMac was always a good dude, the few times I interacted with him, and I imagine he'll get scooped up by some non-journalism entity the next time there's an opening (PR firm, college communications, etc.).
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Just wondering if the projo will still have a vote in the AP Top 25.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Rueb says Kevin was “let go”.

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

SGreenwell wrote: 4 years ago It's pretty bleak industry-wide at this point - I wouldn't trust anyone who attempts to speak confidently about where journalism will be in X years, and that was before the pandemic basically wiped out advertising revenue for the past couple of months. KMac was always a good dude, the few times I interacted with him, and I imagine he'll get scooped up by some non-journalism entity the next time there's an opening (PR firm, college communications, etc.).
Or maybe some online entity like The Athletic or similar. Trouble is there’s not much to write about when no one’s playing.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I’ve always enjoyed reading his work, and consider him to be the best sportswriter there, Koch a close second. (Koch easily the best of the two on twitter with his updates.)

Sucks it wasn’t his choice, wish him well.
2 x
Go Rhody
Native
ARD

Unread post by Native »

Welcome to the third decade of the 21st century.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Not surprising with this pandemic going on lots of layoffs and unemployment in a lot of industries
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

wow projo laying off an icon...
Bummer how it seems to be affecting his former co-workers.
Good luck going forward KMac.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Unread post by PCFriars »

This isn’t good for anyone. Kevin did quality work, whether you agreed with him or not.
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The really sad thing is, once things start to open up, a lot of people who were laid off will not be brought back.

The new normal won't be anything like the old normal.

What's going to happen, when a bar or restaurant can open, but only at 30% or so capacity?

A lot of their workers aren't coming back. And the business itself won't make any money because their sales will be way down.

That means many businesses won't be coming back, or if they do, won't last.

The government can't bail everybody out forever.

This is a disaster on all fronts.

The longer it takes to find a vaccine that is close to 100% effective, the worse it will get.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The states that are trying to open up now, imo are making a big mistake, and will only lengthen the recovery time and worsen the entire situation.

Not enough testing can be done yet.

Ironically, RI is among the best in the country right now, in their handling of the crisis.

But if they open too soon....probably will have to shut things down, again.
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago The really sad thing is, once things start to open up, a lot of people who were laid off will not be brought back.

The new normal won't be anything like the old normal.

What's going to happen, when a bar or restaurant can open, but only at 30% or so capacity?

A lot of their workers aren't coming back. And the business itself won't make any money because their sales will be way down.

That means many businesses won't be coming back, or if they do, won't last.

The government can't bail everybody out forever.

This is a disaster on all fronts.

The longer it takes to find a vaccine that is close to 100% effective, the worse it will get.
A vaccine? You do realize coronavirus has been around for a long time, right? I mean, look at a can of Lysol, it says it kills coronavirus. Many common colds are coronavirus. Don't hold your breath for a vaccine. I expect none will ever come.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Many serious viruses have been controlled by vaccines.

I have no doubt they will find one, but the question is, how effective will it be?

And how long will it last?

If it's the same as the current flu shots, it only works for a year or so, and even then the virus mutates in the meantime and people still get the flu.

Last time I got a flu shot, I got the flu, bad.

Anything that will lower the death toll is the key.

Again, people still die from the regular flu, but at a far lower rate than this novel virus.

And wouldn't you know it, Connecticut almost leads the country in death rate, while RI has among the lowest.

At least living in eastern CT, things aren't that bad compared to the western part of the state.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Re: KMac leaving the Pro

Unread post by section(105) »

......will miss reading his college hoops columns......polio, anyone here remember the vaccine gun and long lnes at schools in RI and on a sugar cube.......1950’s.......
Last edited by section(105) 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Bone, the last time I got a flu shot I got sick as well. Maybe 20 years ago. Never had a flu shot since and never had the flu since.
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Economy related imo. Not his choice.
It was 100% driven by the Providence Journal and their troubling economical situation. Hope he bounces back with something that he enjoys. Always a very good sports reporter in RI
2 x
Smokinjimit
ARD

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

Not a fan of his but I hate to see anyone lose their job. I wish him the best of luck with his next endeavor.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago Bone, the last time I got a flu shot I got sick as well. Maybe 20 years ago. Never had a flu shot since and never had the flu since.
Exactly the same as me.

If a vaccine is not found, then I guess the older among us will have to live in constant fear of dying from this.

Life will never be the same if so.

For those younger than 45, who have less than a 1% chance of dying from this, good for you. Do whatever you want.

Seniors will just have to take their chances.
1 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

How does KMac get let go while the younger guys stay? Probably doesn't matter; not sure Projo can survive this downturn. It is already a shell of it's former self.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago ......will miss reading his college hoops columns......polio, anyone here remember the vaccine gun and line lines at schools in RI and on a sugar cube.......1950’s.......
I'm a bit younger than that but I do remember the Anthrax, Plague, Yellow Fever, Typhoid, Twinrix, and Adenovirus vaccines I got in the Army.
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

I am not unsympathetic to your plight, Bone. You need to do what is best for you, of course.

I don't suspect I would get a covid19 vaccine, and I also suspect that it's 50/50 at best that they ever develop one. They have been unsuccessful trying to develop RNA viral vaccines in the past for viruses with similar traits to this one, to the point where they just gave up after so many years.

I'm starting to question the necessity of the flu shot as well. This entire crisis has brought to the surface some interesting conversations at work that would normally be strictly personal, and I am just now realizing that about 40-50% of my coworkers don't bother with the flu shot and just sign a waiver each year, whereas I have gotten one religiously for like the past 15 years.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Don't want to sound morbid, but this virus is doing a good job of reducing the old and sick population, especially in nursing homes.

They can't separate themselves having to live in one building. One gets sick, and most of them get sick, especially if a caregiver gets infected.

I live alone, so I guess that's an advantage....but my brother and his wife plus my mom all live together, and they are all very susceptible with compromised immune systems.
1 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Well, I don't think masks and social distancing are going away any time soon. The whole Walmart at 7am, Dave's Marketplace at 7am for seniors, 8am for everyone else, and Target at 8am is probably going to be one the lasting establishments attributed to this crisis. That will be the new normal, I think.

Masks out in public, even while dining, especially in a place like the theater. Possibly even the beach, age dependent perhaps.
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Gotta get my 4 year old used to start wearing a mask. That will be fun. They are just starting to make them for children en mass. We have just been avoiding bringing him anywhere, like the markets, etc, but sooner or later they will all be out and about.

At least social distancing has brought forth a newfound respect among the majority of people in the markets. Before this, people would sneeze and cough all over you at will, now they don't either because that have a new awareness of being polite, OR they are just afraid of being labeled a social pariah, but either way... it's nice.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The current number of new infections doesn't inspire confidence that things will revert to anywhere near normal for months to come.

The "curves" that show infections and deaths going to zero by early June, are pipedreams imo.

Especially in the states hardest hit, like CT, NY, and NJ.

Just hope that we can do some of the things we like to do, by summer at least...even with masks and distancing.

Hard to eat with a mask on, though lol.
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

UCH21377 wrote: 4 years ago How does KMac get let go while the younger guys stay? Probably doesn't matter; not sure Projo can survive this downturn. It is already a shell of it's former self.
Simple. He makes the most money
3 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago The states that are trying to open up now, imo are making a big mistake, and will only lengthen the recovery time and worsen the entire situation.

Ironically, RI is among the best in the country right now, in their handling of the crisis.

Curious, how do you measure RI is among the best in the country.."
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago Bone, the last time I got a flu shot I got sick as well. Maybe 20 years ago. Never had a flu shot since and never had the flu since.
Yup, me too. One and done flu shot about 25 years ago.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

McRam wrote: 4 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago The states that are trying to open up now, imo are making a big mistake, and will only lengthen the recovery time and worsen the entire situation.

Curious, how do you measure RI is among the best in the country.."
RI: 8400 cases, 250 deaths...approx.3%

CT: 27000 cases, 2200 deaths....approx.8% Almost half the deaths have been in nursing homes.

Of course there are more cases than that everywhere due to lack of testing.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

UCH21377 wrote: 4 years ago How does KMac get let go while the younger guys stay? Probably doesn't matter; not sure Projo can survive this downturn. It is already a shell of it's former self.
He is paid significantly more probably. The more you make the bigger your risk.
1 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

RIP Projo....
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I haven’t gotten the flu shot for last 3 years and haven’t gotten sick once it has worked for me as I tended to get sick before
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Since I haven't got the flu [knock on wood] for 22 years since I last got the shot and then sick right after that, I wonder if I gained permanent immunity from it.

It's not supposed to do that, but have to wonder.....
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I now can begin to see why a lot of people are protesting about lockdowns.....

Under age 50, the death rate from covid is miniscule.

They are willing to take the chance they'll get it, since the vast majority will either have no or few symptoms.

But for us older folk, not so lucky. We are going to have to social distance, etc. for quite a while.

Going out and mingling with younger people just won't work for us.....until most are tested......
1 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago I now can begin to see why a lot of people are protesting about lockdowns.....

They are willing to take the chance they'll get it, since the vast majority will either have no or few symptoms.

But for us older folk, not so lucky. We are going to have to social distance, etc. for quite a while.

Going out and mingling with younger people just won't work for us.....until most are tested......
They're still learning about this thing. I truly don't understand the people who say this was a massive overreaction and are demanding states reopen and go back to the way life used to be.

It just came out in the last week or so that it causes strokes in completely healthy people in their 30s and 40s. My wife and I enjoyed nights out going to dinner and really are jonesing to go out to dinner again, but I'm more than happy to make that sacrifice if it means I don't suffer a stroke.
3 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Mongo wrote: 4 years agoRIP Projo....
Now Ed Eichorn...editorial staff gone. It will be a shell of what it was. Newspapers are dying across the country.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RhodyKyle wrote: 4 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago I now can begin to see why a lot of people are protesting about lockdowns.....

They're still learning about this thing. I truly don't understand the people who say this was a massive overreaction and are demanding states reopen and go back to the way life used to be.

It just came out in the last week or so that it causes strokes in completely healthy people in their 30s and 40s. My wife and I enjoyed nights out going to dinner and really are jonesing to go out to dinner again, but I'm more than happy to make that sacrifice if it means I don't suffer a stroke.
The numbers will come in eventually and we shall see if it was an over reaction. The govt spent billions of dollars building field hospitals that were never used. They sent medical ships to states that were never used. The gov of NY wanted 30,000 ventilators last month. He didn't get them, but he's giving away the one's they have cause they don't need them.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

The people that will say after the fact "it was an over-reaction" won't realize that closing things down to flatten the curve and not overwhelm the hospitals is what made it SEEM like an over reaction.
5 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago The people that will say after the fact "it was an over-reaction" won't realize that closing things down to flatten the curve and not overwhelm the hospitals is what made it SEEM like an over reaction.
Same people who complain about storm prep.
3 x