‘18 PA SG - Allen Betrand (Rhode Island Commit)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: ‘18 PA SG - Allen Betrand (Rhode Island Commit)

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I brought this up in another thread. What about a redshirt case like Ileri? Does he get 5 years after this? If not he doesn't make sense to redshirt him. Even if he only plays in blowout games, it's at least a little game experience. If Ish and Tres get 4 more years after this, they get 5 years and if Ileri is reshirted, he only gets 4.
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Should AB try to play this year then and not sit out ???
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

reef wrote: 3 years ago Should AB try to play this year then and not sit out ???
It would not be a good idea at this point. As it seems there will be a real battle for playing time and with Fatts, Sheppard, Carey and Leggett in the mix at guard they may also play three guards quite a bit. I think it is a positive thing to have him coming in next year with two years of eligibility left. Martin will get a lot of minutes at the small forward spot and the Twins, Harris and Walker will need minutes also.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

RamStock wrote: 3 years ago
reef wrote: 3 years ago Should AB try to play this year then and not sit out ???
It would not be a good idea at this point. As it seems there will be a real battle for playing time and with Fatts, Sheppard, Carey and Leggett in the mix at guard they may also play three guards quite a bit. I think it is a positive thing to have him coming in next year with two years of eligibility left. Martin will get a lot of minutes at the small forward spot and the Twins, Harris and Walker will need minutes also.
With the new rule and this year not counting against the player's eligibility, Betrand has nothing to lose in playing this year if he is granted a waiver. He would still have 2 years left after this season and he may even be in the starting five and definitely in the regular rotation. You can never have to many quality players available, there is always the possibilities of injuries, suspensions, or midyear transfers. The only question would be if players get an extra year regardless of whether they redshirt this year or not, but I doubt it.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Kentucky put in a waiver for Toppin to be immediately eligible on October 8.

Nothing to lose submitting a waiver for Betrand.

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/s ... 921855002/
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah I changed my tune in this I want AB to play this year that makes us better heard he is a certifiable beast
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 3 years ago Kentucky put in a waiver for Toppin to be immediately eligible on October 8.

Any update if we are going to pursue a waiver for Betrand, considering this year won't count against eligibility?
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago
ramster wrote: 3 years ago Kentucky put in a waiver for Toppin to be immediately eligible on October 8.

Any update if we are going to pursue a waiver for Betrand, considering this year won't count against eligibility?
I guess not, so nobody will get butthurt if they dont play as much?
0 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

There is absolutely no reason not to apply for the waiver if you're granted a free year.

It would look awfully foolish if we're hit with the injury bug and have an ineligible all-conference caliber player sitting on our bench in street clothes.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Section104 wrote: 3 years ago There is absolutely no reason not to apply for the waiver if you're granted a free year.

It would look awfully foolish if we're hit with the injury bug and have an ineligible all-conference caliber player sitting on our bench in street clothes.
Agree with this wholeheartedly activate this kid immediately
0 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

The waiver decisions seem to be determined by one thing at this point, support from former coach. Maybe Skerry has let them know he wouldn't support Betrand's waiver request.
0 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

URIRecruitingInfo wrote: 3 years ago The waiver decisions seem to be determined by one thing at this point, support from former coach. Maybe Skerry has let them know he wouldn't support Betrand's waiver request.
if there was any bad blood I would doubt we'd be playing Towson this year
0 x
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

Section104 wrote: 3 years ago
URIRecruitingInfo wrote: 3 years ago The waiver decisions seem to be determined by one thing at this point, support from former coach. Maybe Skerry has let them know he wouldn't support Betrand's waiver request.
if there was any bad blood I would doubt we'd be playing Towson this year
I'm not suggesting bad blood, just stating that some coaches might still have an old school approach to going along with the reasons a player gives for needing a transfer.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Cox indicated on his show that so far Ileri is the only definite redshirt this year, so they may still apply for a waiver for Betrand. Also he said that Betrand is the best 3 point shooter on the team.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago Cox indicated on his show that so far Ileri is the only definite redshirt this year, so they may still apply for a waiver for Betrand. Also he said that Betrand is the best 3 point shooter on the team.
Betrand has great size at 6'5" and is built very strong. I've heard very good things about him from his playing at URI, especially his shooting prowess - but also his overall game - rebounding, defense, passing.

Last season at Towson:
78-88 FT for 88.6%
46-119 on 3PG for 38.7%
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago Cox indicated on his show that so far Ileri is the only definite redshirt this year, so they may still apply for a waiver for Betrand. Also he said that Betrand is the best 3 point shooter on the team.
Makes no sense to not unless ego's are that fragile.
0 x
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago
I would think they would apply even if they told him he is going to sit the entire year unless there is an injury to a key piece. Good insurance to have this kid available at the end of the bench if the worst happens.
1 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

Rhody Sody wrote: 3 years ago
I would think they would apply even if they told him he is going to sit the entire year unless there is an injury to a key piece. Good insurance to have this kid available at the end of the bench if the worst happens.
If Betrand is available to play, he's not going to be at the end of the bench, thats for sure.
0 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Shinze88 wrote: 3 years ago

If Betrand is available to play, he's not going to be at the end of the bench, thats for sure.
I was about to say the same thing. He’ll be competing for a starting nod if eligible.
0 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Shinze88 wrote: 3 years ago

Yeah he could make us really freakin good.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

In hindsight, did we make a mistake in at least not attempting to pursue a waiver request for AB, with this being a free season? His excellent scoring ability along with his size at guard or wing would of been a welcomed addition to this team.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I was hoping for AB this season
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Chance he may play this year

Jeff Goodman
@GoodmanHoops
Sources: The basketball oversight committee expected to recommend that the NCAA allow ALL transfers to get waiver to play this season. This would be proposed to the D-1 Council — which next meets on Dec. 16. There is a chance it could be voted on prior to the 16th.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

They’ve been giving them out all over the place as I predicted months ago. Might as well drop any pretense
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Very curious to how this would play out. In theory if Carey is going to miss time it would make sense to have him available. Outside of that not sure how you manage minutes
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

I think he will be a good player for us but he will have to adjust to the higher level of competition.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

DeanDome88 wrote: 3 years ago I think he will be a good player for us but he will have to adjust to the higher level of competition.
He played at Towson who had a chance to play many high majors in their OOC schedule. He showed out in those games. He’s more than capable and ready and WILL be this team’s best player.
0 x
BCarey1315
Abdul Fox

Unread post by BCarey1315 »

Was there an actual issue with him being eligible this season or was that just a personal choice? I figured the latter once all these waivers started getting approved but could be wrong.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago
DeanDome88 wrote: 3 years ago I think he will be a good player for us but he will have to adjust to the higher level of competition.
He played at Towson who had a chance to play many high majors in their OOC schedule. He showed out in those games. He’s more than capable and ready and WILL be this team’s best player.
DC , you are putting a lot of high expectations on this kid, hope he lives up to your hype and not just drinking the AB lemonade. I have not seen him play so can't really comment, but will take your word for it. Can you imagine our talent and depth at guard if the NCAA vote passes on 12/16 to let all transfers play this season with no penalty? All 5 guards: Carey, Jeremy, Fatts, Ish, AB, and Martin (wing) can potentially start, take over a game, and we would have no drop off. This group would rival some of our past great backcourts : Silk/Garrick, Wheeler/Mobley, EC/Stan/Jarvis, just to name a few. It may not have the same star power but would certainly be a quality group.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

BCarey1315 wrote: 3 years ago Was there an actual issue with him being eligible this season or was that just a personal choice? I figured the latter once all these waivers started getting approved but could be wrong.
I think by the time everyone realized, "Shit, the NCAA is approving about 99 percent of waivers," it was around September or October. Maybe by that point, they figured they didn't want to rock the boat when it came to roles and playing rotations.

Also, to look at this cynically - With how the transfer market works now, having Betrand sit out a year probably makes it much more likely that he's on the roster for 2021-22. URI is probably going to lose Fatts to the pros, and odds are, one other guard or wing to a transfer up or down.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

BCarey1315 wrote: 3 years ago Was there an actual issue with him being eligible this season or was that just a personal choice? I figured the latter once all these waivers started getting approved but could be wrong.
There are so many things we as fans will never be fully privy too....which of course leads to lots of speculation, but it is what it is.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

DC , you are putting a lot of high expectations on this kid, hope he lives up to your hype and not just drinking the AB lemonade. I have not seen him play so can't really comment, but will take your word for it. Can you imagine our talent and depth at guard if the NCAA vote passes on 12/16 to let all transfers play this season with no penalty? All 5 guards: Carey, Jeremy, Fatts, Ish, AB, and Martin (wing) can potentially start, take over a game, and we would have no drop off. This group would rival some of our past great backcourts : Silk/Garrick, Wheeler/Mobley, EC/Stan/Jarvis, just to name a few. It may not have the same star power but would certainly be a quality group.
DC is right Betrand is a stud. Like Sheppard, our fans will love this kid from day one. I watched him play against GW and Florida. He was one of the best players on the floor.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 years ago

DC is right Betrand is a stud. Like Sheppard, our fans will love this kid from day one. I watched him play against GW and Florida. He was one of the best players on the floor.
Thanks for the input, can't wait to see him in action. If he does play this year, it will be interesting to see how Cox distributes the minutes ( nice luxury to have).
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

If the vote passes as expected on 12/16 and AB is as good as advertised, I would expect him to see the floor on 12/18 against Davidson, barring any injury or health concerns, of course.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago If the vote passes as expected on 12/16 and AB is as good as advertised, I would expect him to see the floor on 12/18 against Davidson, barring any injury or health concerns, of course.
But will they sit him because of ego's?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Our staff is paid to win games, they shouldn't be worried about feelings. You try and put the team in the best situation to be successful. If we are concerned about egos we should stop trying to recruit the best players available.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago Our staff is paid to win games, they shouldn't be worried about feelings. You try and put the team in the best situation to be successful. If we are concerned about egos we should stop trying to recruit the best players available.
My feelings exactly.

DC Rams was talkin about how they didn't pursue the waiver for continuity reasons so thats why I'm wondering.

Can't imagine him not playing now though! I'm excited!
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago Our staff is paid to win games, they shouldn't be worried about feelings. You try and put the team in the best situation to be successful. If we are concerned about egos we should stop trying to recruit the best players available.
My feelings exactly.

DC Rams was talkin about how they didn't pursue the waiver for continuity reasons so thats why I'm wondering.

I don't necessarily buy the continuity reason. AB has been here and practicing with the team as long as Ish and the other 4 transfers. We are certainly not undefeated, so he may actually help the team's chemistry. Because this is basically a free year, no penalty or loss of eligibility, it is only logical you need to put your best team on the floor, period. The A10 is very deep and we have a tough conference schedule ahead, so it should be a no brainer.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

My feelings exactly.

I don't necessarily buy the continuity reason. AB has been here and practicing with the team as long as Ish and the other 4 transfers. We are certainly not undefeated, so he may actually help the team's chemistry. Because this is basically a free year, no penalty or loss of eligibility, it is only logical you need to put your best team on the floor, period. The A10 is very deep and we have a tough conference schedule ahead, so it should be a no brainer.
Continuity in an emotional sense.

I think without a doubt he will make us better.

Hes the wing scorer we need!
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

If/when he becomes eligible I’d think his minutes primarily come at the 3. Malik and DJ likely first to lose time
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

KingstonLane wrote: 3 years ago If/when he becomes eligible I’d think his minutes primarily come at the 3. Malik and DJ likely first to lose time
Yes, I agree. I wouldn't be surprised at sometime seeing them start Fatts, Jeremy, and AB at the wing, with Carey subbing for Jeremy and Fatts, and Malik spelling AB. Cox will certainly have a lot of pieces at his disposal. He had mentioned in one of his interviews that AB was the best shooter and most consistent from 3pt, which we certainly need help at. This of course assumes AB is playing this season.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

My feelings exactly.

It wasn’t for continuity reasons. Stop speculating, you’ll make your head spin.
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

My feelings exactly.

It wasn’t for continuity reasons. Stop speculating, you’ll make your head spin.
I think it is far more likely that we knew Towson was not going to play ball on this one, then any other explanation given. After the free year was announced there was no reason to not apply just in case unless we knew the team he was coming from would object (the only reason transfers are being denied) or there is an academic issue we don’t know about.
0 x
BCarey1315
Abdul Fox

After this latest injury news and on court skid, we could use a shot in the arm. Fingers crossed for some good news today.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

BCarey1315 wrote: 3 years ago After this latest injury news and on court skid, we could use a shot in the arm. Fingers crossed for some good news today.
Is the vote today or tomorrow?
0 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

We can really use him now.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Pretty sure the vote is tomorrow.
0 x
BCarey1315
Abdul Fox

Woke up thinking today was the 16th. That's my bad, vote is tomorrow
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Let’s get AB in uniform baby !!
1 x