Brendan Medley-Bacon (Coppin State --> VCU)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Brendan Medley-Bacon (Coppin State --> VCU)

Unread post by DanInAZ »

7' 1" Center, Baltimore, MD

Coppin State Transfer (2 years remaining)
- Averaged 7.5 PPG, 8.9 RPG & 2.1 BPG in 27.1 MPG.
- Decision tomorrow night at 5 pm!

(Rhode Island, VCU, Old Dominion, Boise St)
0 x
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Re: Brendan Medley-Bacon (Transfer Coppin State)

Unread post by DanInAZ »

0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

YES PLEASE. But does that mean Harris would put on his two weeks?
0 x
GO RAMS
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago YES PLEASE. But does that mean Harris would put on his two weeks?
Who knows
0 x
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Matunuck »

We never had bigs, bring it!
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Who doesn't like Bacon? :lol:
2 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

especially a medley of bacon I mean, you've got your thick cut maple, Canadian, apple smoked...
2 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago especially a medley of bacon I mean, you've got your thick cut maple, Canadian, apple smoked...
Everyone knows that Canadian bacon is just ham.... even turkey bacon is better than that noise...
3 x
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

Instagram is bmb3500
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Like the trade off this guy for JH
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago YES PLEASE. But does that mean Harris would put on his two weeks?
Who knows
Yes
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

You can't teach 7 feet....but not sure if it's at the expense of Harris.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

I’d say you guys are better off with a pass here.

Never seen the kid play, but playing on one of the worst teams in the country, in the worst league in the country, at 7 feet, if he was any good should be able to dominate. Many of those teams are playing one 6’8 guy, maybe two if they are lucky.

Sounds like the type of kid who moves up and gets dominated by bigs of better leagues. I believe he went 3-17 last year in games against V-Tech, Davidson, and Miami. They also played Fordham and he had 3 points, 4 rebounds, 3 turnovers in 25 minutes.

Just don’t see it...
2 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

I don’t believe he will sign with us. My guess is close to home with VCU or Old Dominion, but here is his stats the last 12 games. You can’t say it doesn’t look like he is improving:

12.91 points per game
13.75 rebounds per game
3.25 blocks per game

If you want to manipulate the stats to better competition they still look pretty good if the fit works with Harris and the Twins.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Beggars can't be choosers.

We need to add to the frontcourt....I don't think the expectation is, that he's the second coming of Abdul-Jabbar.

Sure if we can get a much higher level player we take that instead, but is that realistic?

And we need to keep Harris too...this isn't intended to be a trade if you ask Cox.
Last edited by rambone 78 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago I don’t believe he will sign with us. My guess is close to home with VCU or Old Dominion, but here is his stats the last 12 games. You can’t say it doesn’t look like he is improving:

12.91 points per game
13.75 rebounds per game
3.25 blocks per game

If you want to manipulate the stats to better competition they still look pretty good if the fit works with Harris and the Twins.
Cuts both ways - You can say he was improving, but as RJ points out, you can say that's just because they were in the conference part of the schedule and playing the trash teams. He's tall and has a pulse, which is always nice, but unless he'd be eligible for 2020-21, I'm not especially interested. (And if he's eligible this year, then the Mitchell twins would likely be eligible too, and I'd rather just play them.)
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Beggars can't be choosers.

We need to add to the frontcourt....I don't think the expectation is, that he's the second coming of Abdul-Jabbar.

Sure if we can get a much higher level player we take that instead, but is that realistic?

And we need to keep Harris too...this isn't intended to be a trade if you ask Cox.
I agree that I don’t want to lose Harris, but now finding at least 2 and probably 3 more guys to replace (not expecting Fatts to be here) is not going to be easy for Cox to do. If Harris was leaving we would need to get this guy as the front court would no longer be very deep. Not sure if this would be the right fit or not just wondering what else we are going to get at this point. A point guard would be nice with no Fatts and Sheppard after this year.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago I’d say you guys are better off with a pass here.

Never seen the kid play, but playing on one of the worst teams in the country, in the worst league in the country, at 7 feet, if he was any good should be able to dominate. Many of those teams are playing one 6’8 guy, maybe two if they are lucky.

Sounds like the type of kid who moves up and gets dominated by bigs of better leagues. I believe he went 3-17 last year in games against V-Tech, Davidson, and Miami. They also played Fordham and he had 3 points, 4 rebounds, 3 turnovers in 25 minutes.

Just don’t see it...
If we needed low post scoring I'd completely agree but this team gave up so many offensive rebounds and wide open layups last year.

We need someone who can defend the paint for us. This kid had many games where he had 4-5 blocks. Yes his competition wasn't great but he's clearly a very strong defender. I'd take him.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Exactly SG, I look at how a kid does against better teams, because it would hopefully be a better indicator of how he steps up in competition. These were the KenPom's of the last 12 games of Coppin St. opponents: 287-322-350-346-350-272-349-339-254-346-322-349.

Height/Blocked shots don't always equate to good defense. There are guys who might be able to help from the weak side and get some blocks, but get bashed around the block by smaller, but stronger players.

In 15 OOC games, BMB only had 19 blocks. 5 of those came against team #274 Cornell.

Against teams in the top 120 last year, he played 5 games and had 3 blocks in 92 minutes. 1 block every 31 minutes.

If you expand to the top 200 teams last year, he played 9 games and had 8 blocks in 177 minutes, 1 block every 22 minutes.

If you look at how he did 200+: He played 22 games and had 58 blocks in 663 minutes.1 block every 11 minutes.

It's clear in almost every metric that his numbers were only strong against bad competition.
3 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

When was the last time we had a 7 footer who could walk and chew gum at the same time? From the one Harrick had on the roster, whose name escapes me, to today?

I'm not adverse to this move. However, it should be reasonable that one of the two best players on the Coppin State team and a 3rd team Conference player in that Conference and all Defense player, is probably a 15-20 minute player at this level. We shouldn't be expecting a world beater, but at the same time, we haven't had a 7 footer that could actually play in recent memory.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago When was the last time we had a 7 footer who could walk and chew gum at the same time? From the one Harrick on the roster, whose name escapes me, to today?

I'm not adverse to this move. However, it should be reasonable that one of the two best players on the Coppin State team and a 3rd team Conference player in that Conference and all Defense player, is probably a 15-20 minute player at this level. We shouldn't be expecting a world beater, but at the same time, we haven't had a 7 footer that could actually play in recent memory.
You might be thinking of Andrew Wafula who was listed at 6'10'' - he was the one that came to mind when I read your post. Is that who you mean? The last good 7 footer we had that I recall was Michael Anderson. He wasn't very good as a freshman, but he developed nicely into a good Ram by the end of his career in 1997.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

That's him. Thanks. I can picture the team photo in my head, but couldn't remember the name.
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago Exactly SG, I look at how a kid does against better teams, because it would hopefully be a better indicator of how he steps up in competition. These were the KenPom's of the last 12 games of Coppin St. opponents: 287-322-350-346-350-272-349-339-254-346-322-349.

Height/Blocked shots don't always equate to good defense. There are guys who might be able to help from the weak side and get some blocks, but get bashed around the block by smaller, but stronger players.

In 15 OOC games, BMB only had 19 blocks. 5 of those came against team #274 Cornell.

Against teams in the top 120 last year, he played 5 games and had 3 blocks in 92 minutes. 1 block every 31 minutes.

If you expand to the top 200 teams last year, he played 9 games and had 8 blocks in 177 minutes, 1 block every 22 minutes.

If you look at how he did 200+: He played 22 games and had 58 blocks in 663 minutes.1 block every 11 minutes.

It's clear in almost every metric that his numbers were only strong against bad competition.
This is fine, but you also need to take in the fact that he did nothing against both good and bad teams the first 16-18 games of the year. He had the same stats against Montana, Maryland Baltimore County, Mt St Mary’s, Northern Illinois and others as he did against Davidson and Miami. Was some of it the competition at the end of the reason? No doubt it was a factor, but there is also a possibility that he is developing and would be of use off the bench for defensive and rebounding purposes. I have no idea if he will work out, but just question how much better we are going to get in terms of quality in the front court with playing time and wanting to come to URI a factor.
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Well, this kid, if he could do it all: defense, block shots, score, shoot, pass, direct players, he would be Marcus Camby.

He's obviously not Marcus Camby, but it looks like he could contribute.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

checked VCU Board to gauge level of interest.

All that I found:

Yesterday at 8:41 PM wavevcu said:
7 foot Coppin State transfer Brendan Medley-Bacon will announce his school choice tomorrow at 5 pm. Options are Rhode Island, Boise State, Southern Illinois, ODU and VCU. Has 2 years left to play. From Baltimore. Averaged 7.5 points, 9 boards, 2 blocks and 2 assists per game and started every game this season. 3rd team All Meac. Definitely a solid rim protector and defensive player. I think he has to sit one year.

Nothing like waiting a year for a third team MEAC player...

Are we getting desperate?

Newboy Today at 7:48 AM
Ramdog said:
Nothing like waiting a year for a third team MEAC player...

Are we getting desperate?
Yes we are.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The key is, is this more of a desperation move by the staff, or do they really think he will help?

With everything moving so fast when it comes to the college BB landscape, there's hardly any chance to build much of a relationship with recruits, especially since they can't even visit.

The question "well is he the right fit?' has almost become secondary to having to sign someone quickly because of need.

ramster, you beat me to it!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago The key is, is this more of a desperation move by the staff, or do they really think he will help?

With everything moving so fast when it comes to the college BB landscape, there's hardly any chance to build much of a relationship with recruits, especially since they can't even visit.

The question "well is he the right fit?' has almost become secondary to having to sign someone quickly because of need.

ramster, you beat me to it!
Rambone,

Those words were about desperation were from the VCU Message Board. Not mine. Sorry for a bit of confusion there.

But I personally do think this is desperation for URI just as the VCU Posters are saying it is for their team.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

He would not start here. He would be a key reserve. I will take him.
4 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

With another big man, we would be playing solid big forwards at the 4/5 all game.
0 x
GO RAMS
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago He would not start here. He would be a key reserve. I will take him.
I agree. I don’t see the downside here of taking a 7-1 Center that can rebound and is a shot blocker off the bench.
3 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

If this young man is a good student and willing to practice hard then I do not see much of a problem with him being on the team but do not expect that he would play over Harris.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The main downside is if one thinks we can do better in filling an open roster spot
If you think this is the best Cox can do then there is no downside
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago He would not start here. He would be a key reserve. I will take him.
I agree. I don’t see the downside here of taking a 7-1 Center that can rebound and is a shot blocker off the bench.
The question is can he do either against quality competition?

Against top 200 teams, he had 1 point every 5 minutes, 1 rebound every 4 minutes, and 1 block every 22 minutes.

So if he played 15 minutes per night, he would average 3 points, 3-4 rebounds, with a block every other game.

Is that guy worth a scholarship on your bench for 2-3 years? I'm sorry but I feel you guys can do much better than that.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Maybe we can, but at least we have another spot available.....and maybe more after the transfer rule passes......
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago
RamStock wrote: 4 years ago
The question is can he do either against quality competition?

Against top 200 teams, he had 1 point every 5 minutes, 1 rebound every 4 minutes, and 1 block every 22 minutes.

So if he played 15 minutes per night, he would average 3 points, 3-4 rebounds, with a block every other game.

Is that guy worth a scholarship on your bench for 2-3 years? I'm sorry but I feel you guys can do much better than that.
It seems to me that he would have a chance to really improve at URI given the level of competition in practice and given the fluid nature of NCAA hoops at this time...if he accepts that he may not play much then I do not see the harm in it except that if the rule change does not occur we are almost punting next season which I can not really see happening.
0 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

I fully expect Harris to have a little bit of a break out this up coming season. I think the flashes we saw in his game become more of a trend, and practicing against the Twins only helps his game.
With that being said, I don't mind picking up a 7 footer but I'm not sure he develops into much more than a practice player with limited time off the bench. That's based on his stats from this season at Coppin.
We have certainly had worse signings, and having someone 7 feet tall who is functionable gives you at least that.
3 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

He could be the Langevine of the 2017 team. Hass and Iverson started the 4/5 with Cyril giving rest to the starters, but became a great 6/7th man for defense in the paint. I can see Bacon being that guy.
0 x
GO RAMS
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

This sounds perfect to me.

Between Harris and the Twins most of the center minutes are there's.

He won't threaten them. We want those guys. We aren't getting anybody better than them.

A reserve seven footer that's respectable? Perfect.

Who knows how good he can be either. As we know, big men take longer to develop.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago The main downside is if one thinks we can do better in filling an open roster spot
If you think this is the best Cox can do then there is no downside
At some point you have to recruit guys that are OK with coming off the bench. That isn’t a downside. That has been our downfall, recruiting guys who think they deserve more than what they get.
1 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Well, not to sing the praises of an unknown, but the key is if he is willing to accept a role where he is a clean up man, which it sounds like he is.

From watching the videos of the interviews with him and his mom, it looks like he has been through adversity, and only someone who has been through adversity is going to be willing to accept that kind of position in this day and age. Looks like he is leaving Coppin State because he wants to be part of something bigger.

I will say, his highlight video as a player at Coppin is much better than his highlight video as a high school AAU player. He seems to be improving as he goes along, and he seems to do a lot better in a more rigid system than wide open ball. If he is given a very defined job, he possibly could take the next step.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago This sounds perfect to me.

Between Harris and the Twins most of the center minutes are there's.

He won't threaten them. We want those guys. We aren't getting anybody better than them.

A reserve seven footer that's respectable? Perfect.

Who knows how good he can be either. As we know, big men take longer to develop.
Right. It’s only upside from there.
0 x
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

He seems to have made a lot of progress in the past 2 years based on the videos that i watched. Would be nice to have that size on the team and hopefully he continues to improve! Height has been our biggest issue going up against the big boys past 4 years. Problem solved if we land this guy. Huge team for a10!
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhody Sody wrote: 4 years ago He seems to have made a lot of progress in the past 2 years based on the videos that i watched. Would be nice to have that size on the team and hopefully he continues to improve! Height has been our biggest issue going up against the big boys past 4 years. Problem solved if we land this guy. Huge team for a10!
Probably the biggest A-10 team ever.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Get him in here and let him compete with Harris
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Anyone know if we have a shot?
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago
rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago When was the last time we had a 7 footer who could walk and chew gum at the same time? From the one Harrick on the roster, whose name escapes me, to today?

You might be thinking of Andrew Wafula who was listed at 6'10'' - he was the one that came to mind when I read your post. Is that who you mean? The last good 7 footer we had that I recall was Michael Anderson. He wasn't very good as a freshman, but he developed nicely into a good Ram by the end of his career in 1997.
Will Martell was decent his junior and senior year.
2 x
Go Rhody
steviep123
Sly Williams

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago
steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago

Will Martell was decent his junior and senior year.
Good call....I forgot he was a 7 footer as well.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Will is a member here.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago Will is a member here.
Yup.
0 x