C19 Quarantine Eatin'

Off-Topic News, Music, TV, Movies, Tech, etc.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: C19 Quarantine Eatin'

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

This is a great combo...

Maple-Glazed Chicken Breasts

2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper

Throw all that and a couple chicken breasts in a bag and toss it in the fridge for a couple hours.
It says to take some of the leftover marinade and put it in a pan and simmer it (prolly to kill the salmonella?), but sometimes I just don't cook the first side as much,,,and after I flip it, throw on some of the marinade...but then always turn it back over to cook that side.

This is delish...
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Zucchini.... never liked it, never ate it. If I was in a restaurant, and they said, the only veggie we have is zucchini...I'm taking a hard pass. Like...don't get that stuff on the same plate as my food. Til 4th of July weekend in ME... My brother grilled some up when we there, and it was delish. Which is awesome, because, if you know anyone that gardens at all...they probably have zucchini for you. They must be easy to grow...I walk past a couple places that put them out in the front yard with a help yourself sign.

Basically...slice em however you want...I do about a half inch thick, but diagonal so they're good size chunks (can't have 'em falling in)...brush 'em with olive oil, throw on some salt, red pepper, creole spices, whatever...I believe I have had/still have enough to grill up a few slices every night for a couple weeks...

Eat healthy!
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

This is maybe the 3rd or 4th thing in the last month that I've grilled with honey....good stuff....

Tonight's totally awesome, wicked easy, pork (boneless) chops

1/3 c honey
1/4 c soy sauce
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper (I used more)
pinch black pepper*

Stir all that action together (I also tossed in some Italian seasoning and a touch of garlic salt), set aside about 1/3 cup for later
Pat the pork chops dry with paper towels
brush with olive oil, both sides

Preheat grill to high (450-600), one side high, the other side not so much - lightly oil grate
Grill about 3 minutes per side - light char
Move to cooler side of grill, brush both sides generously with the mix...cook maybe 3-4 mins each side, or 145 degrees inside

Drizzle with remaining reserved honey mixture.

I did this with 6 chops about an inch thick and it was fine/plenty. Recipe is for 4 at 1/2".

Have also been grilling corn on a regular basis...with a home-brewed creole seasoning infused butter...so much deliciousness....

*because I have time to waste...whenever anything calls for pepper, I take a few peppercorns and grind/mash 'em up with a mortar and pestle...so, not quite like dust, but pretty flavorful
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago Zucchini.... never liked it, never ate it. If I was in a restaurant, and they said, the only veggie we have is zucchini...I'm taking a hard pass. Like...don't get that stuff on the same plate as my food. Til 4th of July weekend in ME... My brother grilled some up when we there, and it was delish. Which is awesome, because, if you know anyone that gardens at all...they probably have zucchini for you. They must be easy to grow...I walk past a couple places that put them out in the front yard with a help yourself sign.

Basically...slice em however you want...I do about a half inch thick, but diagonal so they're good size chunks (can't have 'em falling in)...brush 'em with olive oil, throw on some salt, red pepper, creole spices, whatever...I believe I have had/still have enough to grill up a few slices every night for a couple weeks...

Eat healthy!
Yeah, they sprout up pretty easy, kind of similar to cucumbers - if you have a patch of them, you're suddenly giving them away to anyone who wants them after a couple of weeks, haha. Back when I worked part-time for the post office, there was a house in Charlestown that had a bunch of squash and zucchini out with a "please take" sign, and I'd load up.

If you have a KitchenAid with the right attachment, you can also make zucchini noodles pretty easily. Much healthier than traditional pasta. We make it a little less healthy by "frying" in a mixture of fresh garlic and melted butter, and some fresh parm mixed into the bowl.
1 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago This is maybe the 3rd or 4th thing in the last month that I've grilled with honey....good stuff....

Tonight's totally awesome, wicked easy, pork (boneless) chops

1/3 c honey
1/4 c soy sauce
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper (I used more)
pinch black pepper*

Stir all that action together (I also tossed in some Italian seasoning and a touch of garlic salt), set aside about 1/3 cup for later
Pat the pork chops dry with paper towels
brush with olive oil, both sides

Preheat grill to high (450-600), one side high, the other side not so much - lightly oil grate
Grill about 3 minutes per side - light char
Move to cooler side of grill, brush both sides generously with the mix...cook maybe 3-4 mins each side, or 145 degrees inside

Drizzle with remaining reserved honey mixture.

I did this with 6 chops about an inch thick and it was fine/plenty. Recipe is for 4 at 1/2".

Have also been grilling corn on a regular basis...with a home-brewed creole seasoning infused butter...so much deliciousness....

*because I have time to waste...whenever anything calls for pepper, I take a few peppercorns and grind/mash 'em up with a mortar and pestle...so, not quite like dust, but pretty flavorful
I saw this a little too late! We had pork ribs last night: my wife started them in the instant pot with a mix of water, white vinegar and spices at the bottom, then finished on the grill. I believe we had a similar mix with some sweet and some tangy heat. We grew some hot Portugal peppers which looked nice several weeks ago, transferred them into a pickling jar to eventually get a nice crushed red pepper mix, and they are coming out amazing.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Zucchini... large slices, run em around in a bowl with a little olive oil. Cover them with all kinds of cajun creole seasoning...and then...a bunch of honey. Grill them til you get good grill marks on both sides. Deelish, plus very easy (key). Honey + cajun...great combo.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

At the suggestion of the bartender on our takeout run last night, we gambled on the mac n cheese pizza (with some burger thrown in).
That thing was so freeking good...I'm pretty sure that you can feel your arteries hardening as you eat it. (And if it was good that way...the possibilities are endless....bbq chicken, steak, broccoli, spinach...)
I think each slice weighs about 2.5 lbs. About as filling as it gets. No need for post-dinner late night snax...heck, I may not even need to eat today....

Scores extremely high on the TASTE + NOT HEALTHY scale. Two thumbs up. I imagine it doesn't really matter much where you get it...like breakfast, seems something like this would be difficult to botch.
0 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago At the suggestion of the bartender on our takeout run last night, we gambled on the mac n cheese pizza (with some burger thrown in).
That thing was so freeking good...I'm pretty sure that you can feel your arteries hardening as you eat it. (And if it was good that way...the possibilities are endless....bbq chicken, steak, broccoli, spinach...)
I think each slice weighs about 2.5 lbs. About as filling as it gets. No need for post-dinner late night snax...heck, I may not even need to eat today....

Scores extremely high on the TASTE + NOT HEALTHY scale. Two thumbs up. I imagine it doesn't really matter much where you get it...like breakfast, seems something like this would be difficult to botch.
I must have missed it, but where did you get this from?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 3 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago At the suggestion of the bartender on our takeout run last night, we gambled on the mac n cheese pizza (with some burger thrown in).

I must have missed it, but where did you get this from?
Effie's Twisted in Exeter...good size tubular mac...mac/cheese...then pizza cheese melted on top (plus some burger thrown in for ours). If you get it and don't like it...I'll meet you there and buy you a cold one. If you do like it, you have to buy me two :lol:
0 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

I love the Pink Panther pizza or calzone from the Mews, slight difference as that is good size ziti with pink vodka sauce. I think a little mozzarella cheese added, so similar to a pasta dinner with your accompanying bread in the form of a pizza crust!
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I forgot about this thread, but one of my favorites during our detention. I have the original recipe for Chicken Penne Pasta from the original Union Station Brewery. One of my absolute favorite dishes. I'll post it if anyone is interested. I also have the recipe for Salas Oriental Spaghetti. The best.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Threw down this beer bread on the grill today and it was awesome. Altho with all that butter and a can of beer (used Lord Hobo Angelica)...how could it not be...

https://www.traeger.com/recipes/beer-bread
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I love lord hobo beers. Boom Sauce is one of my faves.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago I love lord hobo beers. Boom Sauce is one of my faves.
Bargain 12 pack mix packs here now...$19 for three each of 617, Boom Sauce, Angelica (good, but my least favorite of the 4) and Juice Lord. Usually with mix packs, there's one kind that'll sit in the fridge for a while. These are all pretty good and at a bahgain price right now.
1 x