Jacob Toppin Transferring....

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: Jacob Toppin Transferring....

Unread post by reef »

The sky is the limit for this kid got a great shot to make the NBA
0 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

I apologize if I am being a jerk. But I am still disappointed that Toppin left Rhody. I watched the 2nd half tonight. He did nothing. And we are talking about a Kentucky team that's is 8-15. I repeat 8-15!!! This is Kentucky garbage. Toppin is basically a body out there on the court. If he stayed with us, he would have been given the green light on all aspects of his game. Maybe Kentucky will help him in the long run...maybe not. Bottom line, I am not impressed. Again, I apologize for being hard on a young kid, but I have to be honest, especially when they
leave Rhody,
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Don’t count Jacob T out just yet his future is stil bright
1 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

I'm not counting him out. It is what it is. He's doing very little on the worst Kentucky team we have ever seen.
0 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

You think we are bad. Kentucky is awful.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Maybe they are, but is Caliapri a bad bench coach?

Don't think so. His track record is pretty good lol.

Just doesn't have the talent this time.
0 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Haha. Of course not. He can coach here if he would like to. I just enjoy seeing an elite program have a bad year every now and then. Like when Kentucky lost in the first round of the NIT like 10 years ago. Toppin just happens to be on the team this time around.

Let me be clear, I wish him the best. He seems like a great kid. He has great size, jumping ability, and plenty of time to develop. Right now he's averaging 5.5/3.7/0.6 on an 8-15 team. In my opinion, it would be fair to say that he has not improved much this year and possibly has even regressed on offense. I don't watch of lot of Kentucky games, but from what I have seen, most of his points are right around the rim. He is not really looking to do anything else. He's a role player. If he was still with us, he would have the green light to do whatever he wanted on offense.
0 x
ngriff
Abdul Fox

Unread post by ngriff »

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 3 years ago Haha. Of course not. He can coach here if he would like to. I just enjoy seeing an elite program have a bad year every now and then. Like when Kentucky lost in the first round of the NIT like 10 years ago. Toppin just happens to be on the team this time around.

Let me be clear, I wish him the best. He seems like a great kid. He has great size, jumping ability, and plenty of time to develop. Right now he's averaging 5.5/3.7/0.6 on an 8-15 team. In my opinion, it would be fair to say that he has not improved much this year and possibly has even regressed on offense. I don't watch of lot of Kentucky games, but from what I have seen, most of his points are right around the rim. He is not really looking to do anything else. He's a role player. If he was still with us, he would have the green light to do whatever he wanted on offense.
Well put I 100% agree with that. There is absolutely 0% loyalty in college mbb nowadays, which sucks but it just gets worse and worse every year with kids transfering if they do not see instant results.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Maybe they are, but is Caliapri a bad bench coach?

Don't think so. His track record is pretty good lol.

Just doesn't have the talent this time.
If Dan Hurley was coaching Kentucky, they'd be 20-3.
If Dan Hurley was coaching Duke, they'd be 20-3.
If Al Skinner was coaching URI back in 1998, they never would've gotten to the Elite 8.

I know this because I have a crystal ball that tells me these things. It can foretell the future and revise history. It has 1.21 jiggawatts!

Signed,
Doc Emmett Brown
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 3 years ago You think we are bad. Kentucky is awful.
They would run us out of the gym.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is just watching thru Keaney BLue blinders, which I know a majority of people here do.
2 x
Go Rhody
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago

Anyone who thinks otherwise is just watching thru Keaney BLue blinders, which I know a majority of people here do.
Both teams suck this year. When two sucky teams play one another, pretty much anything can happen.
2 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

I went overboard with that statement. And if I had to make a bet on the game, I would take Kentucky at this point.
0 x
ngriff
Abdul Fox

Unread post by ngriff »

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 3 years ago

I went overboard with that statement. And if I had to make a bet on the game, I would take Kentucky at this point.
To be honest if this was a game it wouldn't be who is better? It would just be who can suck less.
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

I think this came up a few months earlier on the same thread, and completely agree with you Rhody15 (i think I did then as well). Both teams are not good, but Kentucky would def beat us...the difference is coaching. I dont like the guy personally cause of his days at UMess, but who are you taking as a bench coach right now...Cal or Cox haha, not even an argument

Also, Rhody_NYCT a few posts above you post that Toppun did jack shit in the 2nd half of last nights game, but then post today that you wish the kid well...I'm mean if I was not a Rhody diehard (I am) you come off as a bitter ex haha. He moved on, alot more kids will as well, its the current environment we are in for college BBall. He did have a game against Vandy where he had 16 pts, and a few others in double digits.

When you post randomly on his thread about how he didnt produce in a 2nd half vs Ole Miss in a bottom feeder game in the SEC, he just seems like you are a bitter ex that cant let things go, move on brotha
0 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

wpbrown8267 wrote: 3 years ago

I think this came up a few months earlier on the same thread, and completely agree with you Rhody15 (i think I did then as well). Both teams are not good, but Kentucky would def beat us...the difference is coaching. I dont like the guy personally cause of his days at UMess, but who are you taking as a bench coach right now...Cal or Cox haha, not even an argument

Also, Rhody_NYCT a few posts above you post that Toppun did jack shit in the 2nd half of last nights game, but then post today that you wish the kid well...I'm mean if I was not a Rhody diehard (I am) you come off as a bitter ex haha. He moved on, alot more kids will as well, its the current environment we are in for college BBall. He did have a game against Vandy where he had 16 pts, and a few others in double digits.

When you post randomly on his thread about how he didnt produce in a 2nd half vs Ole Miss in a bottom feeder game in the SEC, he just seems like you are a bitter ex that cant let things go, move on brotha
I didn't exactly say things the way you put it. But yes, you could say I am bitter over Toppin dumping us. I was looking forward to seeing him develop here.
0 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 3 years ago

I didn't exactly say things the way you put it. But yes, you could say I am bitter over Toppin dumping us. I was looking forward to seeing him develop here.
And yes...I need to move on.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Not the first time you have said this with literally zero tangible proof that it is true besides the letters on the front of the jersey.
They got run out of the gym by Richmond. Stop with the hyperbole.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago

Not the first time you have said this with literally zero tangible proof that it is true besides the letters on the front of the jersey.
They won @ #19 Tennessee two weeks ago. When was the last time we've beaten a ranked opponent on the road?

That Richmond game was also in November.

Meanwhile, we've lost @ Duquesne and @ a GW team who was coming off a month long pause. We've also lost 6 of 7.

With those stats above and me watching every URI this season, That's about all the tangible proof I need.

So how would you justify saying we would beat them?
1 x
Go Rhody
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

They won @ #19 Tennessee two weeks ago. When was the last time we've beaten a ranked opponent on the road?

Meanwhile, we've lost @ Duquesne and @ a GW team who was coming off a month long pause. We've also lost 6 of 7.

With those stats above and me watching every URI this season, That's about all the tangible proof I need.

… Because the other half of their games, they shit the bed? I mean, that's what bad teams do. Like unhappy families, they're each bad in their own way. The only certainty with Kentucky and URI is that they're bad basketball teams this year.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SGreenwell wrote: 3 years ago

… Because the other half of their games, they shit the bed? I mean, that's what bad teams do. Like unhappy families, they're each bad in their own way. The only certainty with Kentucky and URI is that they're bad basketball teams this year.
NET Today:

67 - Kentucky
108 - URI

Kentucky reloads most of there roster every year.

He did not get the performance from his Top 2 Ranked 2020 Recruits:
  • Terrence Clarke only played 7 games and shot 23% 3PFG and 47% FT. He and Calipari had some challenges. He got hurt. I'd seen Clarke play in AAU several times and I questioned his shooting proficiency. Bottom line he did not contribute as expected from a #10 ESPN recruit
  • BJ Boston also disappointed for a #7 ESPN recruit. 27% 3PFG, only 35% FG. He got benched some by Calipari
So Calipari has had to evaluate and mold his team differently from in the past because his top 2 prospects did not perform as expected.

I would not be surprised to see Kentucky do well in the SEC Tournament. It's a bad year for Kentucky, but with annual roster turnover Kentucky and Duke have this inherent risk associated with their programs.

Kentucky has improved as the season has gone on. Calipari takes no bull from any of his players, calls it like it is and he praises them effectively too. It's interesting to watch coaches like Calipari adjust to the 1 and done scenario they coach under today.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

The fact that URI can basically lose out down the stretch, and still be 108 in NET, kind of makes me question the statistic. And the same with Kentucky being 67. Both have similar Kenpom ratings though, so I'm guessing that the really small OOC schedule sizes this year are screwing up any sort of metric. Both have played or did play absolutely dog crap in conference play though, so while you can squint and go, "Hey, both teams have a lot of talent!", I wouldn't have bet a single dollar on the success of either in their respective conference tournaments. Sure, Kentucky could make a run in the SEC tournament. They could also lose by 30 in the opening round.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Toppin gets his first start today as a Kentucky Wildcat vs South Carolina.
0 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

You guys are absolutely delusional if you think Tyrese and Jacob took big steps forward this year with new coaches. Their numbers are almost identical to last year with another year of playing and another year of maturity. Tyrese is averaging less points, with a better field-goal percentage. All other stats are pretty much the same as last year. Jacobs numbers are pretty much spot on from last year after another year of development.
You can believe what you wanna believe, but I’m not convinced.
1 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

SandorClegane wrote: 3 years ago You guys are absolutely delusional if you think Tyrese and Jacob took big steps forward this year with new coaches. Their numbers are almost identical to last year with another year of playing and another year of maturity. Tyrese is averaging less points, with a better field-goal percentage. All other stats are pretty much the same as last year. Jacobs numbers are pretty much spot on from last year after another year of development.
So Rese got more efficient against significantly better competition and is playing as a part of a team instead of playing pickup ball at the YMCA. Sounds like coaching.

Watched a lot of UConn this year. Saw emotion out of Tyrese that I didn’t think he had.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Less minutes, better conference, and the fact that the numbers are similar is a problem? Tyrese is starting for the third place team in the Big East (30 minutes, 11 points, 7 rebounds/game) and is going to play in the NCAA tournament. He helped keep that team afloat when Bouknight was out. He is a dog on defense, and he knows his role. He tested himself against stronger competition and succeeded. I think things worked out pretty ok for him.
8 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

SandorClegane wrote: 3 years ago You guys are absolutely delusional if you think Tyrese and Jacob took big steps forward this year with new coaches. Their numbers are almost identical to last year with another year of playing and another year of maturity. Tyrese is averaging less points, with a better field-goal percentage. All other stats are pretty much the same as last year. Jacobs numbers are pretty much spot on from last year after another year of development.

This is like saying a baseball player hits .310 in Double AA and 'regresses' to .300 in the majors.
4 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago
So Rese got more efficient against significantly better competition and is playing as a part of a team instead of playing pickup ball at the YMCA. Sounds like coaching.

Watched a lot of UConn this year. Saw emotion out of Tyrese that I didn’t think he had.
He definitely grew into the player we thought he would be this year for us. Is that all coaching? Probably not. But I think he was helped by a more competitive environment at UConn this year and an expectation for success. That is a tone set by the coach for sure. I miss Tyrese and wish he never left. I wonder if he would have left if he knew that we were getting the Mitchell twins and they were eligible this year. I don’t blame him for looking at a bare cupboard and not seeing a team capable of reaching the NCAA tourney. Rese, Fatts, Shep, Antoine and the twins would have made a really good lineup. Martin and AB were never able to get to Tyrese’s level this year (though I expect Martin May get there next year).

I have said it before, and will say it again, Jacob Toppin would always be a problem if he stayed at URI. He is putting in work at Kentucky to play with top 25 players that he wasn’t doing here (he thought he was the top 25 player). He was never going to accept that he needed to do little things better here. He didn’t deserve more minutes last year but he thought he should get them because his name was Toppin.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Tyrese is going to be starting in the NCAA's barring a Covid disaster. He's getting coaching and his game is maturing. Toppin is contributing on a poor Kentucky team, that is still better than we were this year. And getting coached by a guy who has put a bunch of players in the NBA. It's not about the numbers. But yes I am the delusional one I guess.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Tyrese left because he wasn't happy with his development here.

That literally SCREAMS lack of coaching.

He also wanted to go to a winner, and he got that.

He made the right decision. He went from the minor leagues to the majors.
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

What a horrible take...remove the KB blinders. I guess ur ignoring the fact that Rese had a major role in keeping UConn competitive while Bouknight was out. It amazes me when a player leaves for another school for whatever their reasons are, some act more immature then the kid who left
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Amazing how people think of these two just because they left our program.

Tyrese has CLEARLY taken a step this season.
1 x
Go Rhody
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Martin's ORTG went up about a dozen points this year, while his already good DRTG stayed roughly the same. When you consider the step up in competition, he's one of those rare guys who you can point to that *has* taken a big leap in production (albeit in smaller minutes).

Toppin would be an argument for the opposite - Step up in competition, yes, but his ORTG and DRTG both fell, and his MPG went down slightly as well. I still don't think he made the right decision to transfer, because he's in danger of being recruited over every year at Kentucky, but it also wouldn't surprise me if he just goes pro after this year, because his brother is doing well in the NBA. Someone would probably give him a G-League contract, similar to how Giannis' brothers have been hanging around the fringes for years too. (And before them, it was everyone related to Stephon Marbury.)
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

One of the strengths of Jacob T game
0 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

I'd put good money on Obi winning dunk contest this year
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah getting ready to watch that now and root on Obi T
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Terrence Clark SEC Tournament status

https://247sports.com/college/kentucky/ ... 162073028/
0 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

What a horrible take...remove the KB blinders. I guess ur ignoring the fact that Rese had a major role in keeping UConn competitive while Bouknight was out. It amazes me when a player leaves for another school for whatever their reasons are, some act more immature then the kid who left
I’m not saying TM isn’t a phenomenal player. He was while he was here and he still is. I love TM. However, I can’t say he broke out and absolutely crushed it this year compared to last year. Being ‘a bit more efficient’ doesn’t do it for me. You can categorize it as a big step if you want. Same with Toppin. Not knocking the kids, just don’t see a massive improvement.
1 x
- Mr. Rogers
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

SandorClegane wrote: 3 years ago
I’m not saying TM isn’t a phenomenal player. He was while he was here and he still is. I love TM. However, I can’t say he broke out and absolutely crushed it this year compared to last year. Being ‘a bit more efficient’ doesn’t do it for me. You can categorize it as a big step if you want. Same with Toppin. Not knocking the kids, just don’t see a massive improvement.
Yeah he's mostly just being used properly. Along with just naturally getting better every year like most college players.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Brother Obi struggling....

0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago Brother Obi struggling....

Obi should follow family practice and request a transfer.
2 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Kevin Knox sucks - he's got the Jayson Tatum "he's young!" thing going without actually being good - so I don't think Knox will stay in Thibs rotation for long either. But with Julius Randle turning into a legitimate, borderline all-star and only being 26, there probably isn't enough minutes for Toppin to develop well anyway. Knicks should move him before he loses that prospect sheen.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

They passed on Tyrese Halliburton also
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Leon Rose wanted Obi. I doubt they will give up on him quickly. Agree Randle seems to be a barrier and is having a great year.
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago Leon Rose wanted Obi. I doubt they will give up on him quickly. Agree Randle seems to be a barrier and is having a great year.
Yeah - I don't think you can play them both at the same time. The East has a bunch of teams like that, whether it's the Pacers (Turner/Sabonis), Knicks, Hawks (Collins/Capela), or the basement version in Orlando (like 5 interesting bigs and no guards). But it's hard to trade them because most teams aren't willing to give up anything of value for a guy that's probably only a marginal upgrade of what they have already. (Like the Celtics could use most of those guys I listed, but I don't think the gap from Robert Williams and Daniel Theiss to them is all that huge.)
0 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Obi is an awesome player. But I’m still absolutely amazed the Knicks passed on Halliburton. He would have fit perfectly into that rotation. Obi isn’t likely to get big minutes unless Randle gets hurt.
0 x
- Mr. Rogers
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah a lot passed on Halliburton including the Suns took Jalen Smith from Maryland just before him also
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

LEXINGTON — As the first consensus National Player of the Year to return to college basketball since 2008, Kentucky forward Oscar Tshiebwe might be the biggest star in the sport.

But its junior forward Jacob Toppin that Tshiebwe says has actually been performing best in early summer workouts.

“You guys are going to be impressed to see him play basketball this year,” Tshiebwe said. “He’s right now like our best player. He’s unstoppable in the gym. Nobody can stop him.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/why-oscar-ts ... 50830.html
3 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Looks like Jacob finally grew out of the baby deer phase
1 x