Jacob Toppin Transferring....

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Re: Jacob Toppin Transferring....

Unread post by section(105) »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 3 years ago
RF1 wrote: 3 years ago
LoveThoseRams wrote: 3 years ago Jacob.....4 minutes against Richmond???
According to the box score, Jacob played 2 minutes and had 0 points today for Kentucky in its game with Richmond.

He logged 23 minutes and scored 12 as a freshman at URI when he last faced Richmond.
I wonder where he’ll transfer to next year. If he keeps getting two minutes a game, I see the Mid-American Conference in his future.
.......Iona......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

I still don't think he'll ever be a huge part of their program, but I also think it's fair to understand he was going to redshirt this year. He's only playing because it's a free year and I think his role could expand as he develops in Calipari's system.

Will he always be battling for playing time against 5 star players? Absolutely, but he has the length and athleticism to succeed and will be part of more "pro days" in 1 month at Kentucky than he would in 4 years at Rhode Island.

I think he made a mistake leaving, but I don't fault him for chasing the bright lights and think he'll have patience to succeed 2-3 years from now.
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

I don't see anything wrong with making observations on the consequences of Jacob's transfer to Kentucky. Yes, we all understand the attractiveness of going to an elite national program from a strong mid-major one, but if your goal is to get to the NBA and that requires you to polish your skills and resume then it seems that PT and the conditions around that PT are paramount. Since Toppin's UK experience is so embryonic, it hard to make a judgement here, but questions will persist.

Why is this important because, as URI fans, we face a conundrum over Toppin and also, Tyrese Martin, we know the outcomes here have implications on URI recruitment and player retention.
2 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Section104 wrote: 3 years ago
Will he always be battling for playing time against 5 star players? Absolutely, but he has the length and athleticism to succeed and will be part of more "pro days" in 1 month at Kentucky than he would in 4 years at Rhode Island.
While I agree with much of your opinion here, I do not fathom this comment and why it is so important if you"re not getting significant PT.
1 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Obadiah wrote: 3 years ago
Section104 wrote: 3 years ago
While I agree with much of your opinion here, I do not fathom this comment and why it is so important if you"re not getting significant PT.
You don’t need to start at Kentucky to get drafted. The number 4 overall draft pick this year was 6th man at Florida State. A similar type story would be the Greek Freaks brother who was drafted out of Dayton despite limited production and playing time. Visibility and potential trumps college success at times. You get all the visibility in the world at Kentucky
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

I think as time goes on his minutes will increase and he will be much more of a contributor on this team. It is hard to blame him for being attracted to the bright lights of this celebrated program and their success at getting players to the next level. He was willing to sacrifice significant playing time here, in order to become a member of that team.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I still don't understand why there's a separate thread for Jacob Toppin. There's a 'former players' thread and that is filled with posts about players who are a lot more relevant than Jacob Toppin is.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago I still don't understand why there's a separate thread for Jacob Toppin. There's a 'former players' thread and that is filled with posts about players who are a lot more relevant than Jacob Toppin is.
The "former players" thread is usually more about people who have graduated and/or left the program to play pro ball. Mechanically, merging this thread into that one would be time-consuming, and make the discussion thread pretty confusing, so it'll stay separated. For prominent figures who have left - Toppin, Tyrese Martin, Dan Hurley - there is usually enough interest that they probably deserve their own thread.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

3 x
Slava Ukraini!
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I spit out my drink at this. Thank you!
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Competing against superior basketball players in practice and games will make Jacob better as will getting better coaching. Jacob just needs to put in the work to take full advantage of this opportunity.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

I like the players we got better
3 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago I still don't understand why there's a separate thread for Jacob Toppin. There's a 'former players' thread and that is filled with posts about players who are a lot more relevant than Jacob Toppin is.
Well...how many former/transfer players had...signs?
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago Competing against superior basketball players in practice and games will make Jacob better as will getting better coaching. Jacob just needs to put in the work to take full advantage of this opportunity.
I wish you would transfer to Kentucky.
2 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago ...
I wish you would transfer to Kentucky.
When you consider the sanity I try to bring to this site, I understand from where you come.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

You spelled insanity wrong
4 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Toppin in now looks good made 2 hoops
0 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

Airball on a potential clutch 3 with under 4 minutes to go.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Baby Toppin looked good except for the airball.

Would love to have him on this current team, but I almost feel like he wouldn't really fit that well with what we are doing.

Hes still pretty raw and he's kind if a tweener.

Whose minutes would he take? Twins? Twan? Malik?

I dont think he would do Antwans job as well as Antwan does. Malik is a better defender. Malik can play guard minutes and Jacob can't. We would just be different with him out there.

It might have been best for Jacob to go there because their while team is a bunch of 6'8 plus dudes with long arms and ridiculous athleticism. He fits in.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

vs #7 Kansas
12 minutes 2-4 FG, 0-1 3P, 2-3 FT, 3 rebounds, 1 TO, 2 PF, 6 points
He played well

0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago vs #7 Kansas
12 minutes 2-4 FG, 0-1 3P, 2-3 FT, 3 rebounds, 1 TO, 2 PF, 6 points
He played well

Li’l Kevie should put his nose back up Ed’s Cooley where it belongs.
3 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Toppin played a season high 25 minutes vs Louisville. This was the 4th highest minutes for the team. Highest minutes among the Bench players.
5-7 FG, 6 rebounds for 10 points.
Kentucky message board comments on Toppin. Majority want him playing more minutes.
Dick Vitale had several compliments for Toppin.

https://kentucky.forums.rivals.com/thre ... in.334388/
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago Toppin played a season high 25 minutes vs Louisville. This was the 4th highest minutes for the team. Highest minutes among the Bench players.
Kentucky message board comments on Toppin. Majority want him playing more minutes.

Kid looked good I won’t take that away from him. That being said things are BAD for a Kentucky team that Jacob Toppin is a key piece for
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 3 years ago Toppin played a season high 25 minutes vs Louisville. This was the 4th highest minutes for the team. Highest minutes among the Bench players.

I thought it notable that he was on the floor at the end of the game...
0 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Maybe this is Cal's way of lighting a fire under the arses of some of his stars.

Maybe Cox can try the same and play Leggit for 20+ minutes.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Sounds like if he keeps putting in the work he will have a future there
0 x
Rammgr
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Rammgr »

Except they will recruit over him and he will be back to square one. He’s a nice player but Cal will bring in big recruits next yr. Hope I’m wrong but Cal won’t put up with this team as is
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Rammgr wrote: 3 years ago Except they will recruit over him and he will be back to square one. He’s a nice player but Cal will bring in big recruits next yr. Hope I’m wrong but Cal won’t put up with this team as is
Jacob plays well enough the rest of the year he is going to the league next year.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......I still think he could have been for us dominant player in the A-10.......if he had stayed......been a starter this year and beyond......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago
Rammgr wrote: 3 years ago Except they will recruit over him and he will be back to square one. He’s a nice player but Cal will bring in big recruits next yr. Hope I’m wrong but Cal won’t put up with this team as is
Jacob plays well enough the rest of the year he is going to the league next year.
I don't see that at all.
1 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago
I don't see that at all.
Did you see Kostas Antetokounmpo as a two way NBA player after his season at Dayton?

According to wikipedia he is the first Greek born player to win a NBA Championship...
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 3 years ago

I don't see that at all.
Did you see Kostas Antetokounmpo as a two way NBA player after his season at Dayton?

According to wikipedia he is the first Greek born player to win a NBA Championship...
So, teams are drafting players because their older brothers are good? That's not a great plan, IMO.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

He's going to go on a Steinbrenner-esque rant about backing up the truck and opening the checkbook.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jacob will not be ready for the NBA after this season maybe by the time he is a senior , he needs to develop his body
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Obviously he is long and can jump out of the building. But what basketball skills does he have that stand out? I haven't seen any, although I have not seen him play this year yet.
0 x
Smokinjimit2
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Smokinjimit2 »

The D league?
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I don't see that at all.

So, teams are drafting players because their older brothers are good? That's not a great plan, IMO.
seems worth a try? ;)
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.........hhhhhhhuuuuummmmm.......the brother connection......where have we seen that before.....?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago Obviously he is long and can jump out of the building. But what basketball skills does he have that stand out? I haven't seen any, although I have not seen him play this year yet.
His shooting ability stood out to me in his year here. He showed some pretty good, but raw skills down low.

He will likely go directly to the D-league to develop and should become serviceable in a year or two.

Daniel Orton scored 3 points a game and got drafted because he was on that John Wall team.

He has shown enough skill thus far along with his athleticism to suggest he should be able to play in the NBA. His brother helps too. No way he goes to Kentucky if his brother was just an average player at Dayton.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago Obviously he is long and can jump out of the building. But what basketball skills does he have that stand out? I haven't seen any, although I have not seen him play this year yet.
His shooting ability stood out to me in his year here. He showed some pretty good, but raw skills down low.

He will likely go directly to the D-league to develop and should become serviceable in a year or two.

Daniel Orton scored 3 points a game and got drafted because he was on that John Wall team.

He has shown enough skill thus far along with his athleticism to suggest he should be able to play in the NBA. His brother helps too. No way he goes to Kentucky if his brother was just an average player at Dayton.
The numbers don't show that. 42% from the field, 24% from three, 64% from the line.
0 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

I don't see that at all.

Nobody said it is a good idea, but doesn't mean it hasn't been done before or won't happen again.

I only remember the Greek Freak's brother because I could not believe a team would take a flyer on him and not JT or EC the same year. He had such limited numbers at Dayton, but he had something those guys did not- a brother who was a stud in the NBA.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Kostas is also 6’10 with ball skills and not just a brother in the nba but a brother who came out of nowhere with similar athletic intangibles to become one of the best players in the league. NBA drafts largely on potential not past results. You can’t teach size and athleticism.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Kentucky goes to 1-0 in SEC with a double OT win at Mississippi State

Toppin picked up a loose ball and laid it in to tie the game 65-65 in the 1st OT

Toppin 3-7 FG for 6 points with 4 rebounds as Kentucky broke their 6 game losing streak
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Kentucky wins again to go 2-0 in SEC by beating Vandy by 3

Toppin played 24 minutes, 3-4 FG, 6 rebounds, 6 points, 1 steal, 1 block and zero Turnovers.

Toppin had a huge blocked shot with 41 seconds to go against Scotty Pippen Jr as Toppin was in the game during crunch time.

Many Kentucky fans are calling for Toppin to get more playing time. They want Toppin getting more of Lance Ware’s minutes who is a starting freshman forward.

Kentucky fans are talking highly about Toppin. He could find himself in the starting lineup before SEC Tournament time comes along.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yup and some on this board thought Toppin wouldn’t be starting at URI , I disagree
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Very complimentary of Toppin from his teammates and from Calipari...

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Again, Toppin is playing solid I won’t take that away from him. But him “needing more playing time”, or “impressing Kentucky fans” should tell you more about how bad they are this year than anything
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Terrence Clark and BJ Boston have not played to expectations. 3P shooting has been underwhelming for both. Clark Below 50% on FTs.

Their subpar play is opening up playing time opportunities for Toppin, lance Ware and Dontaie Allen.

Now 2-0 in SEC big game for Cats and Calipari at Florida Saturday. It’s all about conference play now.

Only Alabama ahead of Kentucky at 3–0 in SEC. all other teams with at least 1 loss except South Carolina 0-0 not having played a conference game yet.
Last edited by ramster 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Similar to how Toppin won the Fordham Game last year

Toppin’s putback of a missed free throw put Kentucky ahead 50-49 with 13:24 left. It was Kentucky’s first lead since the 9:29 mark of the first half, which was a footnote in another possession-by-possession test of nerves.

Calipari credited Toppin with playing a key role.
“I told them, the reason we won the game is because Jacob guarded Pippen,” the UK coach said.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.kentuc ... 59405.html
0 x