How would you rate Coach Cox for the 2019-2020 Season?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.

Poll ended at 4 years ago

A+
No votes
A
2%
A-
10%
B+
20%
B
20%
B-
20%
C+
9%
C
12%
C-
1%
D
No votes
E
1%
Incomplete
6%

Total votes: 82

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I heard this question asked and answered on last night's 990WBOB Radio Show with Tyler Salk and Guest Bill Koch.
Wondered how it would be answered here.

Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Smokinjimit
ARD

Re: How would you rate Coach Cox for the 2019-2020 Season?

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

I’d give him an incomplete.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Smokinjimit wrote: 4 years ago I’d give him an incomplete.
I just added an Incomplete Choice in the poll for you and others
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

B
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago I heard this question asked and answered on last night's 990WBOB Radio Show with Tyler Salk and Guest Bill Koch.

What did they say on the show?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
ramster wrote: 4 years ago I heard this question asked and answered on last night's 990WBOB Radio Show with Tyler Salk and Guest Bill Koch.

What did they say on the show?
Bill Koch was asked first by Tyler Salk. Bill gave a B and said he could go up to a B+ if he was "in a really good mood"
After Bill Koch departed the show Tyler answered his own question. He gave a C+ but possibly a B- not really a final decision between those 2 grades

They talked quite bit positively about the recruiting success of this past week

Also discussed Russell trying for the NBA. Salk thinks he will be back at URI
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

It was a good season, but didn't captilize in some spots and the transfer thing, so B+.
0 x
GO RAMS
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

If anyone here's of a link to a recording of this show, please pass it on. I asked Bill and Tyler via tweet, but didn't get a response as of yet. If I do, I will certainly post it.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

The roster issues I attribute to Cox, winning with a very short bench I attribute to Cox, gritty wins that look nothing like the game plan by a gassed team I attribute to Cox (adaptability) , Running out of gas towards the end of the season (roster management) I attribute to Cox. I rate the season B+ or incomplete. Could have been an A-/A if we pulled the rabbit out of the hat in the A10 tourney or a B-/C+ if we lost that first tourney game.
2 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Who is Tyler Salk?
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

He has a radio show in Rhode Island. Was on from 6pm to 7pm yesterday

0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Incomplete
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

B. And if the transfers prove successful, A++!!!
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Unread post by Brian Forster »

C +.
Good recruiter for most part.
Holes in recruiting showed on game day -not enough bigs and not enough players.
Game day-incomplete,time outs after scoring,too much standing around on offense,bigs are lost under the basket.

Has a lot in common with Fleming.
1 x
Bill Koch
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bill Koch »

I was under the impression the question covered the last two seasons. With that in mind I said B, possibly rising to a B+ or an A- -- that reflects the incomplete nature of 2019-20.

In my mind, no As of any variety unless you make the NCAA Tournament. That's out of the question. This was an NCAA job as inherited with the top-rated recruiting class in the A10 for 2018-19. It's not the best job in the conference -- it's arguably not in the top three, if we're being fair -- but it's also not what it was in 2012-13.

I also don't think C is the proper grade. They've been better than average on the balance. Last year was salvaged by the winning streak, and this year was headed toward March until the last seven games. The roster situation isn't ideal, but it hasn't done tangible damage to APR as of yet and hasn't resulted in the loss of a major on-court piece. (Tyrese Martin leaving can't be factored in yet -- if they struggle for scoring/perimeter scoring in 2020-21, and the team takes any sort of step back from contention, that will certainly affect the overall grade.)

If they had remained in definite at-large position prior to the cancellation of the A10 tournament, that would have allowed for something approaching a B+/A-. If they had played through the A10 tournament and reached March Madness, I would have given an A without hesitation.
8 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I did B- close to a B.

It was maybe an A job to get this team to where it was before the late season slide.

The roster issues and the slide bring it down to a B- at the conclusion of the season.

Add in the current recruiting pulls and it's an easy B for me.

If we get Fatts back and everyone is eligible then there is no excuse to not make it happen next year.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Bill,
Good point about the coverage. I was under the impression the question was for the past season, but you are probably right that the question covered both seasons. I also was not sure if I should have included the good news of the recruiting news for this week or not. It actually goes with this season since you do the recruiting for this season for next year. So I included the recruiting news from this week into my grade.

Tyler was not so generous. He gave a C+/B- but that was after you had left the air.

I very much enjoyed the show. Thanks for taking the time to make an appearance last night.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Bill Koch wrote: 4 years ago I was under the impression the question covered the last two seasons. With that in mind I said B, possibly rising to a B+ or an A- -- that reflects the incomplete nature of 2019-20.

In my mind, no As of any variety unless you make the NCAA Tournament. That's out of the question. This was an NCAA job as inherited with the top-rated recruiting class in the A10 for 2018-19. It's not the best job in the conference -- it's arguably not in the top three, if we're being fair -- but it's also not what it was in 2012-13.

I also don't think C is the proper grade. They've been better than average on the balance. Last year was salvaged by the winning streak, and this year was headed toward March until the last seven games. The roster situation isn't ideal, but it hasn't done tangible damage to APR as of yet and hasn't resulted in the loss of a major on-court piece. (Tyrese Martin leaving can't be factored in yet -- if they struggle for scoring/perimeter scoring in 2020-21, and the team takes any sort of step back from contention, that will certainly affect the overall grade.)

If they had remained in definite at-large position prior to the cancellation of the A10 tournament, that would have allowed for something approaching a B+/A-. If they had played through the A10 tournament and reached March Madness, I would have given an A without hesitation.
Bill, thanks for your input. I gave a B for the season and would have given a B- for both combined. Maybe still a B. My expectations for last season was NIT at best, so their season, while saved by the end, wasn't a failure. But the losing streak in the middle hurt. This season would have approached A if they hadn't faltered down the stretch. If you have a link to hear it again, can you please post it here?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by daytonflyerfan »

I think you have to consider that RI could have won the A10T, so an A-, A, or A+ should not be out of the question. He had them in contention for an at large bid for a large part of the season.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

daytonflyerfan wrote: 4 years ago I think you have to consider that RI could have won the A10T, so an A-, A, or A+ should not be out of the question. He had them in contention for an at large bid for a large part of the season.
I agree...if they had won the A10, an A would be more than reasonable.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

It was a B- for me
0 x
Ramrod
Kenny Green

Unread post by Ramrod »

Beating PC, finishing Top 4 in the A-10 is a B at minimum. Being a consensus NCAA tourney pick would have been in the A range. Losing to Brown was embarrassing and not managing roster better in the middle of the season keeps me at the minimum grade of a B.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Q1 B-
Q2 A
Q3 A
Q4 F

Overall D
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Bill Koch wrote: 4 years ago I was under the impression the question covered the last two seasons. With that in mind I said B, possibly rising to a B+ or an A- -- that reflects the incomplete nature of 2019-20.

Bill, while we've got you here, what do you think they do with the last scholarship? Are they still aggressively looking to use it? If so, on a frosh, transfer, JC, Grad? Or do you think they'll save it for now?
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago Q1 B-
Q2 A
Q3 A
Q4 F

Overall D
The average of these four marks is B- not D.
2 x
Go Rhody!!!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago
Q2 A
Q3 A
Q4 F

Overall D F
I know, but the overall assessment, for me is not an average. If you're in the tourney with a month to go...and play yourself out...you can't get better than a D. Don't look at the F as a "60" or whatever your F value is...it's a ze-ro.

For me, on a scale to 100 (approx)...

Q1 82
Q2 91
Q3 95
Q4 0

Avg = 67.....=> F (corrected above)
2 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago
Q2 A
Q3 A
Q4 F

Overall D
I know, but the overall assessment, for me is not cumulative. If you're in the tourney with a month to go...and play yourself out...you can't get better than a D. Don't look at the F as a "60" or whatever your F value is...it's a ze-ro.

Q1 82
Q2 91
Q3 95
Q4 0

Avg = 67.....=> F
that's rough, I guess you decided not to grant the incomplete request? :P
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

I went with C+, but if they went on the run to the tourney it would have been an B+. A's require tourney wins imo.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I know, but the overall assessment, for me is not cumulative. If you're in the tourney with a month to go...and play yourself out...you can't get better than a D. Don't look at the F as a "60" or whatever your F value is...it's a ze-ro.

Q1 82
Q2 91
Q3 95
Q4 0

Avg = 67.....=> F
Nope, but I did renew our season tix, so I am a hopeful sort...
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Q1 82
Q2 91
Q3 95
Q4 0

Avg = 67.....=> F
Did you renew BTMT (before the Mitchell twins) or ATMT?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago

Before. We actually renewed (and bought two more) the same day the first email came out...can't help it...love that D1 hoops right in my backyard...
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago

Before. We actually renewed (and bought two more) the same day the first email came out...can't help it...love that D1 hoops right in my backyard...
Are those extra 2 for your coats?
2 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

I gave an A- but then again I took the simulated A-10 crown into consideration. I was actually expecting some wins in the tournament. I would not argue with anyone who graded B+. Cox did a good job coaching a short roster but then again he is accountable for being short handed. We played a decent schedule and were 21-9. Did we even lose a single game that we were leading at the half? If not that is damn impressive. URI did really well in close games.
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Does the APR rule apply to all college sports? If it does not and transfer rules for student athletes in basketball and football are changed to mirror the other sports then could the APR rule be repealed? I am not sure the rule makes sense any longer.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

I voted B-. Cox was trending towards an A when he had Rhody 18-5 (10-1) but the collapse down the stretch is like failing the final exam.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Beat PC which gives him a baseline of D, was better than .500 which gets him at least to C, beats the teams he should beat gets him to C+. Roster building is a semi-disaster, big games semi disaster, about the grossest offense you can watch without your eyes bleeding. GBG gives him a C+. Probably would have been a B before these last two weeks.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

For me, B- Some good, some not so good.

Was a B or B+ until the last few weeks of the season, where he fell to a C especially with the transfers out, but recovered with the 4 commits.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

The season was not completed. Grade = incomplete.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I graded on what was completed.

I think if we had beaten Duquesne and lost to Richmond in the semis, nothing would have changed grade wise.

And that's what I thought would happen.

Hard to say what if any NIT results would have changed anything either.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

So for those 5 so far that gave an incomplete I assume the president and the AD should give an incomplete also?

Seems you could grade the season with an asterisk that the Post Season Tournaments were not completed.

If I were Anthony Grant I’d be none to happy if I received an Incomplete Grade from my boss.

For sure Baseball, Softball Coaching Staffs should get incomplete grades because the NCAA is allowing the Seniors the opportunity to play an additional year.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Ok I get your point but the situations are much different. Dayton’s season was a huge success already. URI could have swung from utter disappointment to a rousing success or in between depending on their post season performance.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Or could have continued to slide
URI lost 4 of their last 7 and two of the wins were by 1 point over lowly Fordham and lowly UMASS. Could easily have been a worse finish.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

It was a C for me. I graded just based on the actual season itself, nothing after the final game was played, and nothing based on what might have happened or could have happened or should have happened.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

B. It was going to be a D for me until two days ago. I thought he did an ok job as a second year coach, and had us on the bubble where we should be every year (wring side at the time the season ended but there was a reason to watch). In season, I thought B-, C+. Kind of an average Rhody season, giving him a little bump for being only second year. The off-season transfer out of Tyrese is what I would have based the D grade on. However, we have rebounded from that spectacularly and actually may have a better roster next year (this is not a slight to Jeff, Cyril and Tyrese who are really good to great players), I just think the total package next year may be better next year. That kind of reloading is huge. The program could have broke completely after this season and it didn’t. I give him huge credit for the last week.
1 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

B
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Looks like the B's have it at this point.

Average is between B and B-.

Overall about right imo.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Here's a link to Tyler Salk's radio show Bill Koch was on the other night. Looks like Bill is on about the 16:30 mark.

2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I gave a C
25 of 75 responses were B+ or higher. I don't think David Cox himself would give that high a grade

Prior to the 1st Dayton Game I would be a B+ or higher. We limped to the finish line losing 4 of last 7 games including 2 wins by 1 point against weak opponents Fordham and UMASS. So a D- over the last 7 games gives an overall C.

Went from a Lock in the NCAA Tournament Ranked #27 AP Poll and went to not on the bubble.

Last 7 Games of the Season were lackluster
1st Dayton game LOSS - was a disaster
St Josephs WIN (played without their best player, 3rd team all conference Ryan Daly)
@ Davidson LOSS
@ Fordham WIN - but took miracle heroics by Freshman Jacob Toppin to pull out the 1 point win
Saint Louis LOSS - outplayed
Dayton LOSS of blowout proportions
@ UMASS WIN - only 2 players from UMASS in double figures in scoring - both freshmen. Lucky to come away with the Wim. I was there. Team looked listless, not confident, low energy, unorganized

Observed during those 7 games was a lower overall quality of play, a low level of confidence displayed by the players and coaches, selfish play at times going for individual point totals and forcing shots, passing game was not good. Did not feel that this team was ready to make any noise in the A10 Tournament.

Disappointing Season for URI Big Men. Langevine was preseason 1st team but garnered no awards, not even all defensive. Love Langevine's game, his energy, his leadership. URI Coaching plan did not utilize Langevine to the extend they could have. Jermaine Harris played limited minutes of about 1/3rd a game. Showed some progress but not enough.
Post Season Recognition
Preseason Selections
1st team - Cyril Langevine
2nd team - Jeff Dowtin
3rd team - Fatts Russell, Rhode Island
Defensive Team - Cyril Langevine, Rhode Island

Postseason Selections
1st team - Fatts Russell
3rd team - Jeff Dowtin
Defensive Team - Fatts Russell
All Rookie Team - none

Russell's shooting fell drastically the last 7 games. He took the most shots with 100 but hit only 30. Russell shot only 29% on 3Ps and Martin shot worse at only 27%. Cox should have fed the hot hand Dowtin more as Jeff hit 11-27 for 41% during the 7 games. Langevine had a strong 10.8 rpg average during the 7 games. Jermaine Harris (80%) and Jacob Toppin (79%) led URI in FT% during the collapse.Should have gone to them more inside to draw fouls.

On to next season.
67C1F7DB-64BF-4D77-B4D6-F292AF09C73E.jpeg
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The 2 averages that stand out to me, are the overall shooting percentages and the number of assists per game.

When you only have ONE player that shot over 40% in that stretch...that's ugly.

Of course assists are affected due to the high number of missed shots, but that number also reflects on the lack of sharing the ball and stagnant offense.

How much blame Cox gets for this...is a matter of each person's opinion.

I mean he can't shoot the ball for them, and be on the court running the offense and defense, but since he runs the program, he gets some of the blame for the poor performance.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

At the end of the day it's about the Head Coach. The Players performance and the Assistant Coaches performance.
You are what your record is.

NCAA or Bust. We went Bust
Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x