2 spots left.

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

2 spots left.

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Who do you want? Berry and then either Ellis or Murray would be unbelievable. I don't know if that's realistic, but I'm allowed to dream.
1 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Re: 2 spots left.

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

Yes please
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Berry is next.

The 5th, who knows.
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago Berry is next.

The 5th, who knows.
A wing scorer would seem to be the priority. Either Ellis or Murray would fit that perfectly.
1 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

The_Man_Can_Recruit

and many other things, but wow, flat out the best recruiting head coach in the history of URI Basketball
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

EC Matthews and Jared Terrell.
6 x
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago The_Man_Can_Recruit

and many other things, but wow, flat out the best recruiting head coach in the history of URI Basketball
heh?
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

He is a master recruiter obviously, which is why I don't doubt that he can fill Martin's spot or recruit him back. In basketball it seems the kids that enter the portal usually leave, but in football it is ordinary for kids to enter the portal and then end up staying.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago

heh?
wassumawhat?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Not trying to start an argument on this thread, but Cox is a better recruiting head coach than Hurley who brought in EC, Hassan, Jared, Kuran, Jeff,Cyril, Stan, Munford, and Jarvis? Cox isn't close to that. Yet.
0 x
Go Rhody
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

He brought them all in one class?

I like Hurley. But give this guy his due. This is a monster class.
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago

Not trying to start an argument on this thread, but Cox is a better recruiting head coach than Hurley who brought in EC, Hassan, Jared, Kuran, Jeff,Cyril, Stan, Munford, and Jarvis? Cox isn't close to that. Yet.
The only difference is, it seems as if Cox is wearing both hats now. When DH was here, he was still wearing two hats and his name was attached to more than half of our major coups. That’s why he was brought in.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago He brought them all in one class?

I like Hurley. But give this guy his due. This is a monster class.
No he obviously didn't bring them all in one class, but you didn't specify that. You said Cox is the greatest head coach recruiter in school history, which is just 100% false.
1 x
Go Rhody
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

NIT - PICK

YOU
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Excitement must be squashed at all turns. Apparently, it doesn't fit the agenda.
1 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

I wonder what Rod would have thought of this class with all of these bigs.

He was excited just to get Hassan that year.
3 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Cox has his flaws, improving his retention rate is key moving forward.
6 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Haha let's not get carried away here...
1 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Why not? Let's get carried away for a moment. It's a big day.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I didn't mean to start an argument about who the better recruiter is. I was just looking for thoughts on what we'd like to do with the 2 remaining open spots.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago Why not? Let's get carried away for a moment. It's a big day.
I mean, they don't award wins for how many stars you acquire on the recruiting trail - You still have to, you know, play the games and stuff. While the "will David Cox coach next year?" stuff strikes me as ridiculously pessimistic, the "Is David Cox the best recruiter we've ever had?!?" line of discussion would be the yin to its yang. I don't think the hyperbole in either direction adds much.
4 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

2 Spots Left. Roster 2020-21. Resetting the Roster. Do we really need multiple threads all related to the same topic??

Aside from that, I'm super excited about the Mitchell twins! Coupled with the Ousmane commitment we're going to have one big front line next season. Yowza!!
3 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Apparently I got a little manic implying that Cox was a GREAT recruiter on a day we should be celebrating his efforts.

That led to at least one person claimed he "blocked" me to responding to my comment...

I think even the excitement police can allow for a hour of unbridled optimism for once in a long time.
3 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

And for the record, I was this giddy the day Hurley signed Hassan, but it was cool back then, because it was Hurley and everyone here was on the same page.

Hmmmm
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Assuming we add Berry here soon, I think that last spot can really be used to either just grab the best available guy who wants to commit or hold on to it for a bit and see where everything lands once things are back to "normal".
1 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

Mitchell - 6'10 245
Mitchell - 6'9 225
Ousmane - 6'9 225
Harris 6'8 230
Toppin 6'8 190
Walker 6'7 230

D.J. Johnson 6'7 185 don't forget

7 players - 3 spots … Lots of depth....
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......OK, we’ll see what the October Depth looks like......feelin good though......
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

I'm going to have to bring a booster seat to the Ryan Center to feel like I am watching the same team.
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago Cox has his flaws, improving his retention rate is key moving forward.
True, but to be fair to Cox, the landscape of college basketball is much different today than it was as recently at 10 years ago.
4 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

the bean counters should be happy with this. two for the price of one.
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

CHICO 78 wrote: 4 years ago Mitchell - 6'10 245
Mitchell - 6'9 225
Ousmane - 6'9 225
Harris 6'8 230
Toppin 6'8 190
Walker 6'7 230

I expect Johnson to put on some weight.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

We have to wait a few years to see how these players perform to compare but on paper looks like a great job
2 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 4 years ago
Mitchell - 6'9 225
Ousmane - 6'9 225
Harris 6'8 230
Toppin 6'8 190
Walker 6'7 230

I expect Johnson to put on some weight.
Toppin will too.

I also think Harris is more like 240. Definitely looked heavier than Cyril.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Berry and either Murray or Ellis. My guess is will be Berry and neither one of those guys. Either going to keep the scholarship open or look for someone as a mid year transfer. Need to start thinking point guard with Fatts and Sheppard leaving next year
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Berry and Grad Transfer (eligible immediately and some experience). No way the scholarship stays open. That lesson was learned last year. Cox has to have insurance fir depth if the proposed transfer rule doesn’t pass. Twins wouldn’t be eligible until late Dec is rules doesn’t pass. He isn’t starting Sept with 10 eligible players again.

My guess is a top wing (low probability) or Gage (experienced PG). Gage also helps balance the classes out a little.
Fr class of 4 with Berry would seem to be the max.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Agreed. Need a Grad transfer.
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Berry and Grad Transfer (eligible immediately and some experience). No way the scholarship stays open. That lesson was learned last year. Cox has to have insurance fir depth if the proposed transfer rule doesn’t pass. Twins wouldn’t be eligible until late Dec is rules doesn’t pass. He isn’t starting Sept with 10 eligible players again.

My guess is a top wing (low probability) or Gage (experienced PG). Gage also helps balance the classes out a little.
Yeah I think you're right. The more I think about it I am guessing Gage will probably be the last guy.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Berry and Grad Transfer (eligible immediately and some experience). No way the scholarship stays open. That lesson was learned last year. Cox has to have insurance fir depth if the proposed transfer rule doesn’t pass. Twins wouldn’t be eligible until late Dec is rules doesn’t pass. He isn’t starting Sept with 10 eligible players again.

Yeah I think you're right. The more I think about it I am guessing Gage will probably be the last guy.
I think getting Gage could be just as good as getting a wing potentially.

He has loads of experience and he has played at a pretty high level. Having three guards with valuable college experience and ability can go a long way since we aren't sure just how ready the three freshman would be.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

If the rule doesn’t pass I completely agree with you. A Gage will not fit in if Fatts stays. I think the rule it is passing otherwise Long and Martin leaving makes even less sense. Depth was a huge issue, but also having to find too many guys playing time could also be an issue. There aren’t many teams that play more than a 9 man, maybe 10 man rotation. I would guess Wood, DJ and Ousmane would see limited time with the current roster right now. It all comes down to who is available and wants to come here.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago
adam914 wrote: 4 years ago

I think getting Gage could be just as good as getting a wing potentially.

He has loads of experience and he has played at a pretty high level. Having three guards with valuable college experience and ability can go a long way since we aren't sure just how ready the three freshman would be.
My question is where is Gage finding his playing time if we believe Fatts is here next year? Is he going to back up Fatts? Fatts isn’t playing the shooting guard spot and I expect Sheppard to play the point also. You aren’t rolling out a lineup of Gage, Fatts and Sheppard. Also I definitely want to see playing time from Leggett and Berry. If Fatts leaves it is a different story.
0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

If D Johnson can shoot like people say, what else is needed?
Looks like Ish and Berry can shoot as well. Add them to Fatts and Sheppard, see improvement from Toppin ...

I'm with Billyboy - if you can sign one of the studs (Ellis or Murray) you do it.
I can also see 83's point about Gage, which would be hard to argue with especially if it happens late.

You get Berry, you have time to see how things play out - you never know what might fall into your lap if the rule passes.
The portal would double in a day. It would be nice to have one scholarship in hand just in case.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......what else is needed?.......D-Fence.......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
mstyles22
Kenny Green

Unread post by mstyles22 »

Not trying to be a parader rain-er, I love what I've seen in the past few days, BUT...

How much of this is just restocking the pantry in the event that we see more players leaving due to lack of playing time? This is a talented roster, but only 5 can play at a time. We just had a kid leave who was basically guaranteed 35+ minutes/game next year. And another who was in line for 20+.
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Mitchell - 6'9 225
Ousmane - 6'9 225
Harris 6'8 230
Toppin 6'8 190
Walker 6'7 230

Like the man says: "You can't teach height." 😃
1 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Well this thread lasted very short....
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Can ya at least post something so we know what you are talking about?
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago Can ya at least post something so we know what you are talking about?
Malik Martin is a Rhody Ram
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago
theblueram wrote: 4 years ago Can ya at least post something so we know what you are talking about?
Malik Martin is a Rhody Ram
Thanks PRT. GREAT NEWS!!!!!!
2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund